Re: [Qgis-community-team] [OSGeoLive 13.0] QGIS 3.4 overview and quickstart overhaul

Re: [Qgis-community-team] [OSGeoLive 13.0] QGIS 3.4 overview and quickstart overhaul

DelazJ
Hi all,

Nicolas, what's the deadline for the release?
I think you hit two items that are not covered even in our official documentation so tackling these would benefit to both docs:
- the Overview: we have a list of features at [1] but it's also not fully updated at the moment [2}
- the Quickstart (something we don't have): but we neither finished updating our screenshots [3] - some might already be available to pick in the repo though.

What I want to say, refering to our own undone changes, is that this is an opportunity to fix two important features for both projects. And afaics it doesn't require specific advanced skills, so I'd invite people willing to help in documentation to give it a try. Could be a good starting point. The visual changelogs might also help to find some main features [4].

About OSGeoLive, am I right that there's no html doc online and if i want to view the docs I have to either run the dvd/usb/VM or build it myself as explained in the ReadMe [5]?
Regarding the quickstart (talking about the concept of quickstart since I haven't seen the OSGeoLive's one and don't know if it duplicates things we already have), I wonder if it's not something we can consider having next or within QGIS docs. There might be ways to bridge both resources, actually just display on QGIS Docs website the quickstart from OSGeoLive-Docs. Sphinx-gurus? And that would help QGIS documenters be more concerned (talking about me at least) with OSGeoLive docs, bridge the projects and there might be more advantages.

Regards,
Harrissou

Le jeu. 23 mai 2019 à 09:33, Nicolas Roelandt <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi dear QGIS community members,

OSGeoLive has reached alpha2 stage with QGIS 3.4.6 installed. [1]
OSGeoLive 12.0 was with QGIS 2.18 and the current documentation was written for this version.

At OSGeoLive, we think that the new version of QGIS is a good opportunity to rework on the QGIS overview [2] and quickstart [3] and reflects its new functionnalities. So we are looking for volunteers to help us improve the docs and take new screenshots.

You can work directly on the files or interact in the dedicated ticket [4] or within our mailing list [5].

Thanks for your help from the OSGeoLive Community.

Yours sincerely,

Re: [Qgis-community-team] [OSGeoLive 13.0] QGIS 3.4 overview and quickstart overhaul

Cameron Shorter
Hi Harrissou, my comments are inline:

On Fri, 24 May 2019 at 19:48, DelazJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Nicolas, what's the deadline for the release?

English versions of Project Overviews and Quickstarts are to be updated and reviewed by  9 July 2019

I think you hit two items that are not covered even in our official documentation so tackling these would benefit to both docs:
- the Overview: we have a list of features at [1] but it's also not fully updated at the moment [2}
- the Quickstart (something we don't have): but we neither finished updating our screenshots [3] - some might already be available to pick in the repo though.

What I want to say, refering to our own undone changes, is that this is an opportunity to fix two important features for both projects.

I agree Harrissou, aligning QGIS and OSGeoLive core documentation would be excellent. It is something I'm hoping we can trail in our SeasonOfDocs initiative with QGIS and GeoNetwork, and later introduce to other OSGeo projects.

And afaics it doesn't require specific advanced skills, so I'd invite people willing to help in documentation to give it a try. Could be a good starting point. The visual changelogs might also help to find some main features [4].

Yes, these are less complicated tasks and a good starting point. I've been learning from tech writers that we should be careful to avoid words like "easy", or "just do ....". Tasks which developers find easy (like using git or RST) have a high barrier-to-entry for experienced writers (such as an ex-English teacher who came to our last FOSS4G community day).

Our Howto-write-OSGeoLive docs have become harder to follow as we have been automating our build process. (I'm hoping we will improve this as part of SeasonOfDocs). Links from: https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive

You can see docs from our latest release here: http://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/overview.html

Regarding the quickstart (talking about the concept of quickstart since I haven't seen the OSGeoLive's one and don't know if it duplicates things we already have), I wonder if it's not something we can consider having next or within QGIS docs. There might be ways to bridge both resources, actually just display on QGIS Docs website the quickstart from OSGeoLive-Docs. Sphinx-gurus? And that would help QGIS documenters be more concerned (talking about me at least) with OSGeoLive docs, bridge the projects and there might be more advantages.

Yes, I really like this idea, and would be interested to see how we can pursue this.

Le jeu. 23 mai 2019 à 09:33, Nicolas Roelandt <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi dear QGIS community members,

OSGeoLive has reached alpha2 stage with QGIS 3.4.6 installed. [1]
OSGeoLive 12.0 was with QGIS 2.18 and the current documentation was written for this version.

At OSGeoLive, we think that the new version of QGIS is a good opportunity to rework on the QGIS overview [2] and quickstart [3] and reflects its new functionnalities. So we are looking for volunteers to help us improve the docs and take new screenshots.

You can work directly on the files or interact in the dedicated ticket [4] or within our mailing list [5].

Thanks for your help from the OSGeoLive Community.

Yours sincerely,

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: [Qgis-community-team] [OSGeoLive 13.0] QGIS 3.4 overview and quickstart overhaul

Cameron Shorter
Hi Belinda and Liam,
It was great to have breakfast with you this morning and discuss how you might want to get involved in SeasonOfDocs.
As promised, here is an email thread with ideas so far about updating Quickstarts/Overviews for QGIS which will be a really good starting point for you both (with your QGIS background).

The How to Get started with OSGeoLive docs is halfway through transitioning from an old system to new (sorry for the mess):

If you get stuck, which is highly likely, feel free to ask one of us CCed.

Good luck, Cameron

On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 06:20, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: [Qgis-community-team] [SeasonOfDocs] [OSGeoLive 13.0] QGIS 3.4 overview and quickstart overhaul

Andrew Jeffrey
Hi Cameron,

Having a poke around on the Osgeo Live website and when it comes to virtual machines all I can seem to find is V12.0.

Is there a version 13 pre-release so that people interested in improving the Quickstarts can use it for capturing screenshots of QGIS (or any app) in the OS that the Ogeo live will be using?

Thanks
Andrew

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 9:31 PM Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

QGIS has an automated (but unfortunately broken, at least with my configs) tool to generate screenshots. It was a first draft that would have needed more improvements but we couldn't spend enough time on it.
running qgis --take-screenshots directory in a console would run QGIS and export a bunch of screenshots to directory. I don't really know the internals (code is https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/861c5115ebd9533864cd4e9338ea1e35014ef0cd/src/app/qgsappscreenshots.cpp) nor how configurable it's but extending it to Python would be good. It could solve QGIS screenshot issues but still remain other OsgeoLive projects.

I created reports in QGIS issue tracker (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/30326 and https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/30327) and let's hope it gets fixed for the deadline we have.

Regards,
Harrissou

Le sam. 22 juin 2019 à 01:53, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Advice that Hamish Bowen provided a few years back, and is now included in OSGeoLive writing tips is:

https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/wiki/How%20to%20document%20a%20project

Header logo:

optipng -o5 image.png
  • Preferably also available as SVG, stored as "logo-<project>.svg"
On 22/6/19 9:47 am, Jared Morgan wrote:
Would it be possible to automate the process?

There is good prior art in this space for Python bots.

Jared Morgan
M: +61413005479

On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 at 10:42, Ori Gudes <[hidden email]> wrote:

Talking about “capturing screenshots of QGIS” I have been do it a lot (lately) and would be interested to know about efficient ways to improve this process.

Thanks Ori

Dr. Ori Gudes
Research Fellow, City Futures Research Centre
Built Environment

UNSW SYDNEY NSW 2052 AUSTRALIA
T: +61 (2) 93855255

E: [hidden email]