Re: OSGeo symbols set

Kristian Evers-2
Nicolas,

Very impressive work!

Regarding projects that doesn’t already have logo, would you be interested in coming up with logo suggestions for those projects? I can only speak for the PROJ project, but I am sure all projects without a logo would be interested in having one. At least a new logo for PROJ would be very welcome!

Good job,

Kristian

On 19 Nov 2018, at 21:28, nicolas bozon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello all,

I have finally been able to put together and publish a first version of the OSGeo symbols set.

This is a visual representation of the OSGeo projects and activities aimed at supplementing the Foundation branding material.

A preview of the OSGeo symbols set is available here:

The 48 symbols fall into four categories:
- Foundation (OSGeo fundamentals represented by 'Variations on the Compass')
- Initiatives (mostly based on the compass shape too)
- Projects (derived OSGeo project logos)
- Community (derived Community projects logos)

The set is made of two parts, both copyrighted OSGeo:
- The source SVG documents, licensed under CC-BY-SA
- A cross-browser webfont, licensed under OFL.

Important notes:
- Some projects do not have a logotype, only logotext, and cannot be included in the set at this stage (namely PROJ, GEOS, OSSIM and Degree).
- Some projects logos were heavily modified or redrawn, in order to ensure constistency and scalability. I'm listening to project owners feedbacks and will be glad to work towards better solutions if needed.
- All 48 symbols are made available as black SVG. The 16 Foundation and Initiatives icons are also available in color, based on our brand guidelines.
- This work may not be exhaustive and is subject to change.

Hope you will like it !

Reviews, comments and ideas are most welcome in the related PR:

Best regards,

Nicolas Bozon

Re: OSGeo symbols set

Cameron Shorter

Nicolas, these symbols look very impressive!

As Kristian noticed, there are a few OSGeoLive projects which have logos which are not as creative as what you have been creating. (See https://live.osgeo.org/en/presentation.html ) I'd be happy to help point you to our OSGeoLive points of contact for each project if you would like to ask them if you'd like to draw them a logo.

What are your thoughts on logo colours? I'm guessing it would be quite a bit of work to adopt logo colours into the SVG?

Once you are done, we should probably be including your logos into the OSGeoLive documentation.

Nice work, Cameron

On 20/11/18 8:01 am, Kristian Evers wrote:
[...]

Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: OSGeo symbols set

Sergio Acosta y Lara

Big thanks to Nicolas! Really impressive!

Sergio Acosta y Lara
Departamento de Geomática
Dirección Nacional de Topografía
URUGUAY
(598)29157933 ints. 20329/20330

Re: OSGeo symbols set

nicolas bozon

Hi,

Thank you all for the positive feedbacks !

Kristian, i already have a few ideas for a PROJ logo and will come up
with a SVG proposal soon !

Bart, thanks for noticing that mistake, the GeoExt logo has been
removed from the set. Sorry for that.

Cameron, adding colors to the project logos SVG would indeed be quite a lot of
work. Only the Foundation related logos are available in color for now.
Please also note that you can already add a unique color to each
project logo using CSS). I would be glad to work on a colored version, but i would need much more free time for that !

Best regards,

Nicolas

Le mar. 20 nov. 2018 à 14:52, SERGIO ACOSTAYLARA <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Big thanks to Nicolas! Really impressive!

Sergio Acosta y Lara
Departamento de Geomática
Dirección Nacional de Topografía
URUGUAY
(598)29157933 ints. 20329/20330

Re: OSGeo symbols set

Angelos Tzotsos
Hi Nicolas,

This is impressive work, thank you!

FYI pycsw is in the process to change/improve the logo.
I will let you know when we have something to look at (an expert's opinion would be much appreciated :)

Best,
Angelos

On 11/20/18 9:53 PM, nicolas bozon wrote:
Hi,

Thank you all for the positive feedbacks !

Kristian, i already have a few ideas for a PROJ logo and will come up
with a SVG proposal soon !

Bart, thanks for noticing that mistake, the GeoExt logo has been
removed from the set. Sorry for that.

Cameron, adding colors to the project logos SVG would indeed be quite a lot
of
work. Only the Foundation related logos are available in color for now.
(see:
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/7135374/48731563-a1696800-ec3d-11e8-9a4c-c1b5919a325a.png
or
https://github.com/nbozon/osgeo/tree/OSGeo-symbols-set/marketing/branding/symbols/svg/color
)

http://geoportal.mtop.gub.uy/
------------------------------

https://nbozon.github.io/OSGeo/symbols-set/

The 48 symbols fall into four categories:
- Foundation (OSGeo fundamentals represented by 'Variations on the
Compass')
- Initiatives (mostly based on the compass shape too)
- Projects (derived OSGeo project logos)
- Community (derived Community projects logos)

The set is made of two parts, both copyrighted OSGeo:
- The source SVG documents, licensed under CC-BY-SA
 (see
https://github.com/nbozon/osgeo/tree/OSGeo-symbols-set/marketing/branding/symbols/font
)

Important notes:
- Some projects do not have a logotype, only logotext, and cannot be
included in the set at this stage (namely PROJ, GEOS, OSSIM and Degree).
- Some projects logos were heavily modified or redrawn, in order to ensure
constistency and scalability. I'm listening to project owners feedbacks and
will be glad to work towards better solutions if needed.
- All 48 symbols are made available as black SVG. The 16 Foundation and
Initiatives icons are also available in color, based on our brand
guidelines.
- This work may not be exhaustive and is subject to change.

Hope you will like it !

Reviews, comments and ideas are most welcome in the related PR:
https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/pull/206

Best regards,

Nicolas Bozon

Discuss mailing [hidden email]

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: OSGeo symbols set

Vicky Vergara-2
Hello all,

I know the time it takes to do a design, as I do the release tweets designs for pgRouting.

Maybe I don't understand the difference with the words symbols and logo. Can you explain your understanding?

From my perspective:
The majority of the projects symbol/logos look like their original design but they lost their color and they "look" gray (or is the gray green in the guidelines).

if a project has its own logo/symbol, like, pgRouting, baby elephant playing with a compass, full with colors, is there a reason for us to have a design change, a gray elephant head with two triangles in the ear?

Do the projects PSC need to vote for their logo/symbol change or is the marketing committee, from now on be in charge of the logo/symbol designs of projects and the projects PSC have no vote on that?

As SAC member:
Website:
Can you explain where in the website the projects's  symbol/logo would be used
If applicable: where the original logos would be used?
Where/how would the OSGeo foundation symbols set would be used.
Where/how would the initiatives symbols set would be used.

Wiki:
In the wiki page we have badges for example:
We are still using the old logo badges, because there is no specification on the guidelines of how a badge should look like.

Regards
Vicky

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 2:28 PM nicolas bozon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Salzmannstraße 44,
81739 München, Germany

Vicky Vergara
Operations Research

eMail: vicky@georepublic.de
Web: https://georepublic.info

Tel: +49 (089) 4161 7698-1
Fax: +49 (089) 4161 7698-9

CEO: Daniel Kastl

Re: OSGeo symbols set

nicolas bozon
Hey Angelos !

Thanks for this information, i'll give my input with pleasure, and
integrate the new logo in the set :)

I am planing regular updates over time in order to keep the set
consistent and every project happy.

Best,

Nick

[hidden email]> a écrit :

Big thanks to Nicolas! Really impressive!

Sergio Acosta y Lara
Departamento de Geomática
Dirección Nacional de Topografía
URUGUAY
(598)29157933 ints. 20329/20330
http://geoportal.mtop.gub.uy/
------------------------------

Re: OSGeo symbols set

nicolas bozon
Hi Vicky,

Thank you for all these interesting questions. I'll try to answer and make things as clear as possible.

First of all, this work is one of the action of the Marketing Committee for 2018. I released it a bit late, and this is still a work in progress.

It has not been yet 'approved' by Mark'comm nor merged to the OSGeo Github branding repo. Some additional arrangements are needed, so better not to use it in 'production' for now :)

I know the time it takes to do a design, as I do the release tweets designs for pgRouting.

Maybe I don't understand the difference with the words symbols and logo. Can you explain your understanding?

Logo belongs to each project, has its own a story and involved most of the time specific design work by project contributors.
Symbols or glyphs are simplified shapes that everyone can remember easily and that can possibly scale at 'any' size.

From my perspective:
The majority of the projects symbol/logos look like their original design but they lost their color and they "look" gray (or is the gray green in the guidelines).

The goal of the symbol set is to gather all the projects logos in a symbol collection that can be used as a webfont.
One would basically import the CSS and then just write <i class="osgeo-pgrouting"></i> to make it appear in any web document, in any color, at any size or screen resolution.

I used one of the OSGeo grey color in the demo page you are right, but one is free to use any other.

if a project has its own logo/symbol, like, pgRouting, baby elephant playing with a compass, full with colors, is there a reason for us to have a design change, a gray elephant head with two triangles in the ear?

Once again, logo belongs to each project and i wouldn't pretend to change any of them.

As for PostGIS Slonik, your elephant was difficult to transform as a simple symbol shape, so i decided to create a simpler one. I feel sorry if that is hurting you or your
community. Please note that i'm still at taming those two rebel elephants, so things should be much better shortly :)

Do the projects PSC need to vote for their logo/symbol change or is the marketing committee, from now on be in charge of the logo/symbol designs of projects and the projects PSC have no vote on that?

Oh no ! Not at All ! Nobody wants to change any logo, just get a useful SVG symbols collection to represent OSGeo projects in a simpler way when needed.

As SAC member:
Website:
Can you explain where in the website the projects's  symbol/logo would be used
If applicable: where the original logos would be used?
Where/how would the OSGeo foundation symbols set would be used.
Where/how would the initiatives symbols set would be used.

I believe each symbol could be used on related page as subtitles icons, as decorative html elements, as div or page repetitive background, or as images fallback when needed on mobile, or even in the OSGeoLive submenus or docs, as Cameron suggested.

These are only ideas. You should probably see this symbol set a basic resource for websites, prints or any other media where using the official project logo is not mandatory.

Wiki:
In the wiki page we have badges for example:
We are still using the old logo badges, because there is no specification on the guidelines of how a badge should look like.

Good point, some of the symbols could replace some of the old badges. I didn't think of it yet.

It is planned to integrate the symbols set in our branding assets, so its use will be eventually documented in the style guide.

I hope i answered your question and will let you know when the PgRouting symbol will be better.

Best,

Nick

Re: OSGeo symbols set

Kristian Evers-2

Nicolas, very cool. I am looking forward to seeing your PROJ logo proposal! It would be great if you could share it with the PROJ mailing list once you have a design you are happy with.

Thanks for thinking about this,

Kristian

Re: OSGeo symbols set

Angelos Tzotsos
Hi Nicolas, all,

Here is the ticket with the proposals for the new pycsw logo:
https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/issues/577
https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/files/2617995/brandconcept-pycsw.pdf

Comments are welcome!

Cheers,