Re: [OSGeo/gdal] Fix the datadir in gdal.pc. (#609)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OSGeo/gdal] Fix the datadir in gdal.pc. (#609)

Ari Jolma-2
Ari Jolma kirjoitti 12.05.2018 klo 10:18:
> Even Rouault kirjoitti 11.05.2018 klo 23:19:
>>
>> cherry-pick in release/2.3
>>
>
> How do I merge a PR into another branch than master?

I made a try to -- PR #614 -- which was a mistake.

Now I did it by creating a local clone of OSGeo/gdal and
editing/committing/pushing its release/2.3 branch.

I found this
http://www.draconianoverlord.com/2013/09/07/no-cherry-picking.html

I wonder should I have based my PR on a version that is common to master
and release/2.3. That PR could have been merged to both of those(?).

Ari

_______________________________________________
gdal-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/gdal-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OSGeo/gdal] Fix the datadir in gdal.pc. (#609)

Even Rouault-2

Ari,

 

> >

> > How do I merge a PR into another branch than master?

>

> I made a try to -- PR #614 -- which was a mistake.

 

It is possible to do a PR against a non-master branch, but you need to apply the commit in that branch, and in the GitHub UI make sure the base branch it selects is that branch.

 

>

> Now I did it by creating a local clone of OSGeo/gdal and

> editing/committing/pushing its release/2.3 branch.

 

You can use a single clone for all branches and uses git checkout to switch branches. That said, as someone regularly dealing with several branches, I find it more convenient to havea actually one local clone per active branch I use to avoid re-configuring/making each time I switch.

 

>

> I found this

> http://www.draconianoverlord.com/2013/09/07/no-cherry-picking.html

>

> I wonder should I have based my PR on a version that is common to master

> and release/2.3. That PR could have been merged to both of those(?).

 

There are different schools regarding cherry-picking vs merging. For example, QGIS uses cherry-picking too. Whereas MapServer uses merging from stable branch to master.

 

Cherry-picking is fine to me and that's what I use. See notes at end of CONTRIBUTING.md. I find it to offer more control than merging.

 

Even

 

--

Spatialys - Geospatial professional services

http://www.spatialys.com


_______________________________________________
gdal-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/gdal-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OSGeo/gdal] Fix the datadir in gdal.pc. (#609)

Ari Jolma-2
Even Rouault kirjoitti 12.05.2018 klo 11:18:

 

>

> Now I did it by creating a local clone of OSGeo/gdal and

> editing/committing/pushing its release/2.3 branch.

 

You can use a single clone for all branches and uses git checkout to switch branches.


I know that but the issue here was that I had my local clone from *my fork* as this page seems to instruct

https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo/

so my local clone did not have release/2.3.

I had also happily ignored CONTRIBUTING.md.

Thanks for the heads up.

Ari


_______________________________________________
gdal-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/gdal-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OSGeo/gdal] Fix the datadir in gdal.pc. (#609)

Even Rouault-2

On samedi 12 mai 2018 11:37:36 CEST Ari Jolma wrote:

> Even Rouault kirjoitti 12.05.2018 klo 11:18:

> > > Now I did it by creating a local clone of OSGeo/gdal and

> > >

> > > editing/committing/pushing its release/2.3 branch.

> >

> > You can use a single clone for all branches and uses git checkout to

> > switch branches.

>

> I know that but the issue here was that I had my local clone from *my

> fork* as this page seems to instruct

 

A single clone can have several upstream sources.

 

For example,

 

$ git remote -v

origin [hidden email]:OSGeo/gdal.git (fetch)

origin [hidden email]:OSGeo/gdal.git (push)

rouault [hidden email]:rouault/gdal.git (fetch)

rouault [hidden email]:rouault/gdal.git (push)

 

If you don't have a branch that is only in origin, you do

 

$ git fetch origin

$ git checkout release/2.3

 

 

--

Spatialys - Geospatial professional services

http://www.spatialys.com


_______________________________________________
gdal-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/gdal-dev