Re: OSGeo Project report 2017 - Invitation to attend next Board meeting

Re: OSGeo Project report 2017 - Invitation to attend next Board meeting

Angelos Tzotsos
Dear Greg,

During the OSGeo general meeting (AGM) in Boston FOSS4G last year, OSGeo Projects were asked to provide a slide [1] with the project status report.
Since some of the projects did not manage to attend or provide feedback, the OSGeo Board of Directors has started an effort to reach out to these projects and ask them to attend a Board meeting to provide this report.

You are the OSGeo Project Officer of FDO, so I would like to invite you to attend the next board meeting [2] [3] if possible. Would you be available to attend?

On behalf of the OSGeo Board,
Best regards,
Angelos

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 2:49 PM, Angelos Tzotsos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Greg,

During the OSGeo general meeting (AGM) in Boston FOSS4G this year, OSGeo Projects were asked to provide a slide [1] with the project status report.
Since some of the projects did not manage to attend or provide feedback, the OSGeo Board of Directors has started an effort to reach out to these projects and ask them to attend a Board meeting to provide this report.

You are the Project Officer of FDO, so I would like to ask you to attend the next board meeting [2] [3] if possible. Would you be available to attend?

On behalf of the OSGeo Board,
Best regards,
Angelos

[1] https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1-vwUulLnrSIxZwWVIvVn0wANZyFiEWtUxe-QlzRTHRw/edit?usp=drive_web
[2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2017-11-21
[3] http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2017&month=11&day=21&hour=14&min=0&sec=0%2017.00UTC

On 10/23/2017 10:28 AM, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
Thanks Jody,

It looks like the following projects have not provided an update during the AGM and should be called to attend our next board meeting:

- gvSIG
- Marble
- QGIS
- FDO
- GDAL/OGR
- GEOS
- GeoTools
- OSSIM
- PostGIS
- GeoNetwork
- deegree
- geomajas
- Mapbender
- MapFish
- MapGuide Open Source
- OpenLayers

Given the number of the projects in that list, perhaps it would be easier to organize separate meetings (or video calls), asking projects and board members to attend.

I volunteer to follow up with the project officers and arrange those meetings if the board approves.

Best,
Angelos

On 10/23/2017 08:48 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:
In our most recent mins that we had a good review of outstanding f2f action
items <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2017-10-05>, one thing we
are missing is following up on our well attended, entertaining, annual
general meeting.

I am (CCing) the discussion list here as this is a fun update.

The main action item is to invite projects and committees who missed the
AGM to the next board meeting (Board Meeting 2017-11-02
<https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2017-11-02>). Anita has also
identified this as an opportunity to start thinking about next years budget.

The slides are here:
​​​
  osgeo-agm
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1T9QRcCdyd8PLQnXB2VfZ2k3ReX-9CH_YXRg0VKqtgeQ/edit?usp=drive_web>

We had reports from the board and core officers (or delegate):

    - president: delegated to helena as vice-president
    - treasurer
    - secretary
    - elections - annual short term position

Initiatives:

    - Website/rebranding - temporary initiative
    - OSGeo-Live

Projects:

    - GRASS GIS
    - GeoMOOSE
    - ORFEO ToolBox - welcome to new graduate!
    - pycsw
    - geonode
    - pywps*
    - MapServer
    - ZOO project - brought up external slides
    - GeoServer

*via incubation committee

Aside: t*here was some confusion for projects who had had a state-of talk
during the conference. The AGM update is focused on the project health and
happiness, rather than technology updates.*

Local Chapters

    - OSGeo Korean Chapter
    - GfOSS.it
    - OSGeo Ireland
    - D-A-Ch: FOSSGIS e.V.
    - OSGeo:UK
    - OSGeo.JP
    - geo-spatial.org (OSGeo.RO)
    - And more
       - OSGeo Finland Chapter Report
       - OSGeo Spanish Language Chapter
       - OSGeo Africa
       - OSGeo European

*Aside: There was a lot of friendly encouragement from
the European chapters considering considering bidding for FOSS4G 2019.*

*Note: Local chapter updates are the highlight of any AGM (and
inspirational). There is no expectation for a report from local chapters -
they do not have an officer representative in our organization. I think
this makes sense since they are regional in nature and need to have the
freedom to incorporate in accordance with local laws*.

Committees:

    - United Nations Committee
    - GeoForAll
    - Conference Committee
    - OpenGeoScience Committee
    - Marketing Committee
    - Incubation Committee
    - GSoC - is this a committee or initiative?

--
Jody Garnett

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member