Re: OSGeo Oceania as a not-for-profit entity? Your feedback, please

Re: OSGeo Oceania as a not-for-profit entity? Your feedback, please

Bruce Bannerman-3
Hi John,

I’m currently travelling through Outback Australia with severely limited Internet access.

I intend making comments, but will not be able to do so until early April, after I return.

For starters, see my earlier email on liability on the AustNZ list several months ago.

Kind regards,

Bruce

On 18 Mar 2019, at 19:31, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

As promised, following on the heels of the successful FOSS4G SotM Oceania conference in November 2018, we have embarked on a journey to lay down a strong foundation for the growth of this community. In addition to planning a new instance of the conference in Wellington, New Zealand, for November 2019, we are also doing significant ground work on establishing a not-for-profit that can manage funds, enter into agreements, and act as a local chapter of OSGeo and OSMF.

We have developed a recommendation for an initial path forward, and we'd like you, the community, to provide your feedback. If you have experience or knowledge here, and can provide insight, or wish to contribute your thoughts, please chime in. Your comments are most welcome, and can be provided by responding to this email, or by commenting in the Google Doc.

The draft recommendation is attached as a PDF, and a live Google Doc version is linked here. We will take input until the end of next week (29 March). At that point, we'll make adjustments where warranted, and hopefully be in a position to raise a motion to the OSGeo Oceania board to accept the recommendation, and begin the process.

If this is all new to you, and you're wondering what the heck OSGeo Oceania even is, please check out this basic wiki page that will give you a bit of background. We'll be fleshing this out in the coming months, but I hope it gives you enough of an idea. We will certainly be aiming to increase our outreach, and get people involved from across the region.

Any questions, please ask!

Cheers
John Bryant
on behalf of OSGeo Oceania