Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] What terms should go into an OSGeo Glossary?

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] What terms should go into an OSGeo Glossary?

Cameron Shorter
Thanks everyone. Felicity and I have received scores responses, both
publicly and privately. We've been pointed to a bunch of links to
existing material, and received some really good suggestions.

Admittedly, I'm feeling a bit like we are drinking out of a fire-hose,
as we think about how to process all the feedback, and the level of
engagement that OSGeo can sustain.

More to come from us in the next few weeks ...

On 26/9/19 8:21 pm, Seth G wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The MapServer glossary is at https://mapserver.org/glossary.html
> The RST source for this page is at https://github.com/mapserver/docs/blob/branch-7-4/en/glossary.txt
>
> Seth
>
> --
> web:http://geographika.co.uk
> twitter: @geographika
>
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2019, at 12:06 PM, Robert Nuske wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> there is at least still the GRASS Translation Glossary [1] which has
>> quite some general GIS terms in a dozen languages. This might be a good
>> starting point. Although, it does not contain descriptions of the terms.
>> It is rather focused on translation.
>>

>> cheers
>>    robert
>>

>> [1] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Translation_Glossary
>>

>> Am 26.09.19 um 08:28 schrieb Markus Neteler:
>>> Hi,

>>> I did some efforts years ago:
>>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Multilanguage_Dictionary
>>>
>>> It was hosted on the "webextra" server but didn't survive the
>>> infrastructure migration in  2014.
>>>
>>> Dunno if anyone kept a copy...
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Markus

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: [Geo4All] [OSGeo-Discuss] What terms should go into an OSGeo Glossary?

Cameron Shorter

Thanks Nick,

Do you have this R helpsheet at a public URL which we could reference as some sort of Point of Truth?

On 30/9/19 6:28 pm, Nick Bearman wrote:
Not trying to add to the firehose impact... but you are welcome to use my R / Geo glossary (attached).
Best wishes,
Nick.

On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 at 09:54, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
To keep you in the loop,

Both the OGC and ISO/TC211 Glossary teams, who manage glossaries of
spatial terms have reached out to us about collaborating around
developing an OSGeo glossary. It looks like they have tools which we
could make use of.

The conversation is unfolding on the OSGeo Standards list. If you are
interested, I suggest viewing the email archive and/or subscribing to
the list: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/standards

On 28/9/19 7:09 am, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Thanks everyone. Felicity and I have received scores responses, both
> publicly and privately. We've been pointed to a bunch of links to
> existing material, and received some really good suggestions.

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Nick Bearman
01209 808910 | 07717745715

Due to my own life/work balance, you may get emails from me outside of normal working hours. Please do not feel any pressure to respond outside of your own working pattern.
--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254