Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Updated GeoForAll budget 2018

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Updated GeoForAll budget 2018

Till Adams-3

Mark,

I did not want to say, we do not want this money for TGP - I just wanted to mind potential problems, that might arise if we have different moneys for different groups of people for the same issue. Also complicated for the people requesting for financial support, if they find different adresses to apply for TG.

If Dar LOC wants special student support of TGP, it's up to you (DLOC) to define the rules. For 2017 we had a kind of "point"-system, where we gave the applicants points for country of origin (due to the world banks list), gender, talk on conference y/n and so forth ... so it's up to you (again DLOC) to define the rules how to rank the characteristic "student".

You also can say, that you want to seperate the whole TGP amount and dedicate xx % for students and the rest for other applicants.

My only strong advice is not to seperate things up ;-)

(I kept the discussion inside CC and among us three, because this makes things easier. This is not because I do not want to let others know, what we decide)

Regards, Till

Am 21.11.2017 um 15:36 schrieb Mark Iliffe:
Dear Suchith,

Notwithstanding Till’s email regarding the separation of the TGP and GeoForAll, I would like to formally request that you reconsider the withdrawal of the $2k application to the OSGeo board. If necessary, the Dar LOC can administer directly the $2k from the OSGeo board - instead of the TGP.

For this - we’d request that GeoForAll supports the selection of the appropriate candidates in collaboration with the LOC. I feel that we have a real chance to make our conference accessible for all, let’s do it!

Many thanks,

Mark

On 21 Nov 2017, at 08:56, Suchith Anand <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, Charlie’s idea is excellent and very strategic for future GeoForAll expansion ideas, so we are going to follow up this. My suggestion is that  we will do everything first to see if we can get volunteers with the required skillsets that we need for this work. If there are no volunteers for this, then we will decide to do open call . Thankfully , I am receiving some volunteer offers to my call on this from our excellent colleagues, so I am confident that we do not need to ask OSGeo Board for any funding at this stage for this work.

Based on feedbacks I received from discussions in the conference list, I have removed the 2k request for students TGP [1] . I understand that TGP committee is s run by members of LOC and OSGeo CC  and has clear  procedures in place. I am confident they will do their best to ensure representation of all deserving. I thank everyone in TGP committee for their time and efforts to make the travel grants program possible.

So currently the only one funding we will be asking is the Student Award for FOSS4G conferences . Having this distributed (500 USD) each to 4 FOSS4G events regionally is great. I already have FOSS4G-NA interested to  follow up on this. I really hope GeoforAll South America will make use of this for a FOSS4G event in South America .  Those FOSS4G LOC contacts wishing to take up this please email to the GeoForAll list and we will follow up.

Best wishes,

Suchith

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2017-November/004572.html

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Updated GeoForAll budget 2018

Suchith Anand
Hi Mark,

Thank you for your mail and volunteering to administer (on behalf of LOC Dar)  directly the $2k from the OSGeo board for this. I leave to the OSGeo Board to decide this as appropriate. Personally, I believe having FOSS4G in Africa in 2018, is a great opportunity esp. for the students in local universities there to ever get the opportunity to be a Global FOSS4G  and learn new ideas to help them develop.

I recently received an email from an educator in Uganda who said  “ It is crucially important for African students to interact with European professors. Books, journal articles etc., all come from Europe. Uganda for example has no single degree holding cartographer!” [1]. I believe FOSS4G Global coming to Africa is a great opportunity for many educators and students in Africa to meet directly colleagues from around the world and learn, so let us do our best to make this happen in whatever form which is best.

I really liked the idea that Maria  send earlier  today on having a separate track for students to present their work that FOSS4G-Europe is planning “FOSS4G-Europe we are considering asking for 1 000€ which will be split among 10 students awarded. This will mean the ticket cost to attend FOSS4G-Eu for them (100€).We intend to have a track for them so they can expose their work and not only have a poster and a mention.[2]

One option that  you and LOC  could consider is use the 2k specifically for arranging student track at FOSS4G 2018 and use the funding to cover registration fees of participating students . I am sure if we all think creatively, we can find a means to ensure more students get opportunity at FOSS4G and present their ideas.

FOSS4G is visiting Africa  in 2018 and we thank our hosts (local universities and many local colleagues there who are working hard to make it possible), so how can we as OSGeo give back something to the local community there. In my humble opinion, the best gift we can give is provide more opportunities to some of  students there to get opportunity to participate and give them a platform to share their ideas.

Best wishes,

Suchith

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geoforall/2017-November/004256.html

[2] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2017-November/004570.html

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Updated GeoForAll budget 2018

Mark Iliffe-2
Till,

I agree there are potential issues that can arise here. I'd like to delineate two streams here: 1. the traditional TGP fund; and 2. Alternative funding streams.

1. I see this as being managed in the traditional TGP manner;
2. The DLOC will take (within reason!) as much money as it can to widen participation - if there is a specific reason/funding target, then we'll hit that target to make sure we're within the funding bounds. When/if this occurs, I'll loop back to the conf committee and LOC to discuss the way forward... but ultimately, we'll take the money and have the LOC exclusively run it as a last resort - I'd like to minimize complexity and don't want to over- burden people who are giving freely their time as well.

Does this make sense/is it appropriate? Thanks for the advice as always - starting to feel the joy of the chair!

Thanks!

Mark