Re: [OSGeo-Conf] LGBT in OSGeo

Cameron Shorter

Mark, conference committee,

As an outsider reading this Code of Conduct, without knowing the Tanzania anti-LGBT laws, this CoC would seem strange in the way they are singling out LGBT. I think it would be useful to state it up front what the legal situation is, and the limits to the FOSS4G committee's ability to enforce the CoC or protect delegates from local laws.

I think it would be good to have a statement noting something like:

1. Participants should be mindful of LGBT local laws, which state ...

2. Participants should behave respectfully toward locals of the country and dress and behave respectfully when in public. Appropriate dress involves ...

3. While the OSGeo Foundation supports a safe conference environment and will apply whatever means at its disposal to support this (including removing people from the conference if needed), participants should be aware of the limit's of the FOSS4G committee's legal mandate to protect delegates.

On 1/4/18 1:16 am, Mark Iliffe wrote:
Dear All,

Following these discussions, I would warmly welcome you all to contribute to the discussion on the CoC for this year’s FOSS4G: https://github.com/foss4g2018/foss4g2018/issues/65

Many thanks,

Mark

On 9 Mar 2018, at 13:44, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mark and others on this list,

I'm seeing significant agreement here in promoting diversity within OSGeo. I encourage anyone who feels strongly about this should consider starting to craft revised text for OSGeo policy documents. Until that happens, we are all talk, no action, no impact.

The process: Write draft changes to our policy documents, invite review, get rough consensus on wording, get the conference committee to vote to accept the proposed changes, update the official documents.

Documents that I think need reworking are:

https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/rfp/

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook

Warm regards, Cameron

On 8/3/18 1:16 am, Mark Iliffe wrote:
Dear María,

Thanks for the update on this, we as FOSS4G DLOC will follow and further participate with interest.

With regard to holding this conversation slowly, may I kindly counsel that we proceed as quickly and as openly as possible - to be clear, I do not view this as a point of debate for Dar es Salaam, but for our community as a whole - the ripples of this conversation go far beyond FOSS4G this year.

The views and their number expressed have reinforced my (personal) view that to our credit, we have a great appetite for discussion on this within our community regarding diversity and inclusion - to proceed slowly in limited forums may provide the signal that we are not taking this seriously - we know this is not the case!! - but there is a difference between fact and perception unfortunately.

I am not asking for people to come out of the closet to engage in this discussion; Personally, I am not LGBT+, however, I have a direct interest in making our community to be as inclusive and representative of our world as much as possible, this includes those in our community in relative and/or absolute poverty (ie. those that utilise QGIS to digitise their communities), or from under-represented communities - I believe that we can participate in this discussion not based on our race, creed, gender, sexual orientation but on the basis as we as a community stand weaker if one of us is disadvantaged - can we not engage independently as a member of humanity working towards inclusivity and acceptance, instead of categorising ourselves?

This maybe a tone deaf view - and if so, please accept my humble apologies - but we clearly have a challenge here and while we cannot change the laws of any nation that we are working on, we can send the message to the OSGeo community that we are listening and through the CoC/diversity statement/working groups on LGBT+ etc. that YOU ARE WELCOME IN THIS COMMUNITY!

This reinforces my personal view that we need to ensure that all are kept aware of these discussions - accordingly, I kindly request that we keep this in the OSGeo discuss board and make the F2F discussions in Bonn accessible for all and that the board takes appropriate action to ensure that this message is heard loud and clear throughout.

Many thanks,

Mark

On 7 Mar 2018, at 02:37, María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Mark,

Thank you very much for your email.

I agree we should continue the discussion in the open. Now we have a
clear view of the current situation from the board (and people
following that list). A reason why I personally haven't moved this
quicker more open is because I don't want OSGeo to be responsible of
people coming out of the closet on the community and then travelling
to Tanzania and having problems because of that. The risk is very low,
as you have confirmed, but this is a very sensitive issue in many
countries. Everyone should be aware of this before starting to point
personal experiences, especially people coming from privileged
countries where being LGBT+ is not only legal, but socially accepted.

We have an OSGeo meeting in Bonn very soon and I think that is a
proper place to discuss this, as it will be face to face and some
people will be able to discuss this without having to write their
names anywhere. I agree there should be an LGBT+ group inside OSGeo,
and maybe we should provide the tools to allow members from sensitive
countries/personal situations to participate anonymously. (How? I
don't know yet.) And we should promote also some kind of diversity
advice group, where all kind of discriminations can be addressed.
Maybe merge this idea with the CoC team? Maybe a separated dedicated
team? I don't know.

Thanks for this and if you need some immediate action from the board,
just let us know.

Regards,
María.

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 12:11 AM, Mark Iliffe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear OSGeo Board,

On the 20th of February I wrote in response to a concern raised on LGBT+
concerns in Dar es Salaam. To this, set out the following four action
points:

To help move forward on this, we will 1. Ensure that we provide guidance
to those in our community on this issue; 2. Seek dialog within our community
on this issue, I am personally contactable on this and fully welcome any and
all people who wish to discuss this on a face-to-face (over VC) or any other
medium that the community would feel better with; 3. Recommend that the
board puts in place guidance for future OSGEO conferences other this issues;
4. Support the formation of an LGBT+ grouping within OSGEO to better support
appropriate guidance on this issue.

To update on this:

1. We are collaborating with Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team on this issue,
to ensure that the response to our mutual communities are in lock-step on
this issue. Guidance will be published for consultation for the conference
shortly;
2. I have reached out to members of the LGBT+ community that I know
personally on a bilateral basis. I would welcome further dialogue with the
OSGeo LGBT+ community on a bilateral, private basis for people to voice
their concerns in confidence;

Points 3 and 4 are of specific interest, in the view of the LOC of FOSS4G
2018, as we can set policy direction for our conference, but have no mandate
nor mechanism to set policy across OSGeo. To this end, I would formally
request, in my role of Chair of FOSS4G for the OSGeo Board to provide
direction to future FOSS4G conferences and to further support and service
this community within our wider community.

Clearly, there is a desire for LGBT+ to be considered further in our
community - as noted in the transcript of the previous board meeting [1],
but I think this needs to be communicated to our wider community - I see the
discussions on the OSGeo board mailing list, though this may not have the
widest circulation. I am also available to have a video conference with the
board, at their earliest possible convenience if such an invitation was
extended.

Finally, I really want to stress this for our conference in Dar es Salaam
this year to our community: We want to have the most inclusive conference
that we can possibly have. In the same way that previous FOSS4G events in
Boston and North Carolina have demonstrated, our conferences have dealt with
challenges within the wider legislative framework of their host country, we
as a community are welcoming to any and all with open arms. We will publish
guidance for those travelling, and if you still wish to participate but
cannot come to Dar es Salaam, get in touch with us - we will help you get
involved! Our FOSS4G will only be successful due to ALL the people in our
OSGeo community; we are a big and dynamic family - we will reflect and live
that this year in Dar es Salaam, and I hope in the many years to come.

Best,

Mark

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2018-03-01

Re: [OSGeo-Conf] LGBT in OSGeo

Cameron Shorter

Quite a few comments from me, and while most should be able to be addressed quite easily, there are some bigger questions which it would be good to take to the greater CoC communities.

1. I think we could do a better job at describing the range of actions that could be taken, without being threatening. (This takes a lot of effort to word correctly. This code of conduct covers everything from minor infringement to totally criminal behavior and it is difficult to get the balance right. At the moment, I don't think we are fully covering the minor infringement case (which is likely to get more cases).

2. I think we could be more empowering of the reporter. We probably shouldn't refer to them as a "victim". We probably should say, "In line with our Code of Conduct, we plan to take the following next step. Is that ok with you?" This is empowering of the reporter.

I haven't gone into details of how this could be worded. I think it would be quite time consuming to do so and get buy in from all involved.

What has been written so far is good and suitable enough for the next event. My suggestions are pushing toward what I think could be better for the future.

On 9/4/18 2:45 am, Mark Iliffe wrote:
Dear All,

Following this thread, and comments on the FOSS4G 2018 Github [1] I have created a google doc with an enhanced Code of Conduct: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k_zWD2dnMg0T-EhA2l828xkLxGyMHpLOuc0WxB5vfkM/edit?usp=sharing I welcome all to review.

Many thanks,

Mark

On 31 March 2018 at 22:25, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

delawen
Thank you very much Mark. I know this was an unexpected extra work for your team and you have done a good work trying to capture all points of view.

El mié., 18 abr. 2018 0:34, Mark Iliffe <[hidden email]> escribió:
Dear All,

The start of this thread commenced with:

On the 20th of February I wrote in response to a concern raised on LGBT+ concerns in Dar es Salaam. To this, set out the following four action points:

To help move forward on this, we will 1. Ensure that we provide guidance to those in our community on this issue; 2. Seek dialog within our community on this issue, I am personally contactable on this and fully welcome any and all people who wish to discuss this on a face-to-face (over VC) or any other medium that the community would feel better with; 3. Recommend that the board puts in place guidance for future OSGEO conferences other this issues; 4. Support the formation of an LGBT+ grouping within OSGEO to better support appropriate guidance on this issue.

We're now a two months down the line and after a process of consultation within the OSGeo community, with the input of our sister HOT community, we've got a Code of Conduct [1] hopefully encapsulates our shared values. I would not be so obtuse to declare "Mission Accomplished", we have a long way to go here; we always will have a long way to go to ensure that we are the most inclusive community that we can be. The steps that we as a DLOC have now taken should have hopefully resolved the initial concerns that some in community have had regarding LGBT+ concerns in Dar es Salaam. Today in our weekly committee meeting, we progressed many things, including the structure of our guidance notes for attendees to FOSS4G this year, this will be published well in advance of previous FOSS4Gs to further inform and help our community attend what we believe will be THE BEST FOSS4G YET!!

We envisage that the CoC remains a living document and is updated when new questions on its content arise. This will hopefully transcend past Dar es Salaam into future FOSS4Gs and we as a DLOC wish those LOCs the very best! What is above stays true, my LOC and are happy to discuss this either over email or by VC. Maria has started work on the points 3 and 4 through the call for the Diversity Team [2], we will continue to support this as it moves forward.

We're looking forward to welcoming you all to Dar es Salaam this August!

Best,

Mark Iliffe
Dar es Salaam FOSS4G co-chair.

On 9 April 2018 at 12:35, Mark Iliffe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear All,

I've tried as best I can to include the various comments from all - the best thing being is that I believe that they do not conflict with each other and serve to improve the CoC. I know that HOT will be also working on this to pass it through their summit working group, but I'm happy for us to move forward on this. To stress, and echoing Cameron above, in my opinion this is and should be a living document for OSGeo and will transcend this year's FOSS4G and beyond. Please do contribute and comment further so we can make this the best reflection of our values and community as possible!

Cheers,

Mark