Re: [OSGeo-Announce] FOSS4G update: additional activities - Volcanoes, Megafauna, Sprinting, Hieroglyphics and Beer, oh my!

Re: [OSGeo-Announce] FOSS4G update: additional activities - Volcanoes, Megafauna, Sprinting, Hieroglyphics and Beer, oh my!

nuest
Hi all,

since the name is set and the repository exists - what are the next
steps? Should we have a telco [1] ?

Also, is somebody attending the Js.Geo event at FOSS4G? This woudl be a
great venue to present and discuss our new activity.

Best regards,
Daniel

[1] I can offer to host a GoToMeeting conference.

--
Daniel Nüst
52°North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH

http://52north.org/
Twitter: @FiveTwoN

General Managers: Dr. Albert Remke, Dr. Andreas Wytzisk
Local Court Muenster HRB 10849

Re: [OSGeo-Announce] FOSS4G update: additional activities - Volcanoes, Megafauna, Sprinting, Hieroglyphics and Beer, oh my!

Christian Mayer | meggsimum
Hi all,

there are surely organisational things to do for this project but maybe
we can kickstart a bit the technical stuff.
You will surely agree that XML processing will be a central part of a
lib like ows.js will be. Since some of you pointed already out that you
implemented some libs tackling ows processing maybe you can give a short
summary what you did, which libs are used in your projects and which are
the pro and cons of the libs and if you would use it again. If you know
other XML libs you would like to introduce, please do so.

In this way we will get a good starting point for a discussion about the
architecture.

Any opinions on this? Or does someone like to start?

Thanks and cheers,
Chris

Am 11.08.2014 um 09:27 schrieb Daniel Nüst:

> Hi all,
>
> since the name is set and the repository exists - what are the next
> steps? Should we have a telco [1] ?
>
> Also, is somebody attending the Js.Geo event at FOSS4G? This woudl be
> a great venue to present and discuss our new activity.
>

> Best regards,
> Daniel
>

> [1] I can offer to host a GoToMeeting conference.
>
> Am 08.08.2014 um 13:01 schrieb Anne Ghisla:
>> ** Js.Geo
>>
>> Js.Geo is officially happening during FOSS4G (for reals).  This one day
>> conference brings together experts or people deeply interested in
>> spending a full day digging into advanced topics in the Geospatial
>> Javascript realm. We'll convene for a series of curated talks from some
>> leaders in  JS + GEO and have plenty of time to explore ideas and
>> concepts. The talks will also leave time for demos and questions and
>> answer sessions
>>
>> More details and speakers will be revealed as the event gets closer, but
>> space is limited and we are down to 80 tickets.  So book your spot [7].
>>
>> [7]http://jsgeo2014.eventbrite.com/

--
Christian Mayer, Dipl.-Ing.(FH)
GIS-Spezialist & Software-Developer

Re: [OSGeo-Announce] FOSS4G update: additional activities - Volcanoes, Megafauna, Sprinting, Hieroglyphics and Beer, oh my!

Tom Kralidis
From a csw4j perspective (initial work), my goal was to make the library have as little dependencies as possible so it can run in multiple situations (i.e. I could have used jQuery's parser, but didn't).  I'm not sure the actual JavaScript [1] is setup 'proper' for a JavaScript library and can be improved.  For example, the code does not work in IE at this point.  So my goal was to create lower level convenience functions build first and then from the dev's perspective call functions which just work.

In summary I think it would be great to have the lib' runtime as lean as we can.

[1] https://github.com/tomkralidis/csw4js/blob/master/src/csw4js.js