Re: OSGEO glossary in google spreadsheet...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGEO glossary in google spreadsheet...

Cameron Shorter
Hi Reese, my thinking on where to put the OSGeo Glossary page has moved.
I don't think it should be a subproject of OSGeoLive (and hence fit under the OSGeoLive trac wiki) but rather should stand alone with its own OSGeo Committee status.
This would mean creating a new committee page, which links in under: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Main_Page
I'm interested in your thoughts on what we should call our committee. Options I'd consider would be:
"OSGeo Glossary Committee"
"OSGeo Lexicon Committee"
something else? 
This would lead to us setting up a head wiki page like:

For guidelines on running a committee, you can have a look at:
Also, have a look at how some of the other committee pages are set up, as linked from:

Cheers, Cameron

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 at 20:50, Reese W. Plews <[hidden email]> wrote:
hello Felicity and Cameron,

i have finished updating what i thought were the terms in the
spreadsheet you made available in google docs earlier this month.

i have made a copy (you can see at the bottom of the sheet - rplews_mods)

this brings in the terminology entries that we have in ISO which
closely or identically matches those terms identified from the main
sheet

a lot of the entries are abbreviations and some type of category
should be added to those. is it is an organization, etc. a number of
the entries were software specific, relating to a software platform or
data format.

Cameron has created a glossary page on the OSGEO Live trac site. i
have not had time yet to place some items there but want to use it to
document some of the earlier email discussions. Ron's proposal ideas
for how OSGEO could have a terminology management group and comments
by Bruce Bannerman and others in earlier emails should be added to the
trac page.

i hope this is helpful to show some of the entries. happy to discuss anything.

reese


--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier
Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant

M +61 (0) 419 142 254




_______________________________________________
Standards mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/standards
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGEO glossary in google spreadsheet...

rplews
hello Cameron,

the name of the group is really what you and your fellow OSGEO colleagues feel best conveys the work of the group. in ISO" terminology" is used, but also "vocabulary" is an often heard. in our group, i think for historical reasons we used "terminology." over the close to 20 years the group has been active, i think there have been a number of new fields of study or advances in IT which as given rise to other names.  in tc211 our glossary is an "output" product of the terminology repository, to which our members then add translations for the terms.  from the work that has taken place over the years, i guess i am more familiar with "terminology" and how we have been using it in tc211. 

as for the location of the wiki page, i am not really familiar with OSGEO projects. after you have found a place for the group i will start to add those items mentioned earlier.  just let me know the location. if we need a group authorized before the page is created then the current location can be used as content may be helpful as background to the authorization process/requirements. it can always be moved.

thank you,

reese



----- Original Message -----
From:
"Cameron Shorter" <[hidden email]>

To:
"Reese W. Plews" <[hidden email]>
Cc:
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Sent:
Mon, 21 Oct 2019 09:14:15 +1100
Subject:
Re: [OSGeo-Standards] OSGEO glossary in google spreadsheet...


Hi Reese, my thinking on where to put the OSGeo Glossary page has moved.
I don't think it should be a subproject of OSGeoLive (and hence fit under the OSGeoLive trac wiki) but rather should stand alone with its own OSGeo Committee status.
This would mean creating a new committee page, which links in under: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Main_Page
I'm interested in your thoughts on what we should call our committee. Options I'd consider would be:
"OSGeo Glossary Committee"
"OSGeo Lexicon Committee"
something else? 
This would lead to us setting up a head wiki page like:

For guidelines on running a committee, you can have a look at:
Also, have a look at how some of the other committee pages are set up, as linked from:

Cheers, Cameron

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 at 20:50, Reese W. Plews <[hidden email]> wrote:
hello Felicity and Cameron,

i have finished updating what i thought were the terms in the
spreadsheet you made available in google docs earlier this month.

i have made a copy (you can see at the bottom of the sheet - rplews_mods)

this brings in the terminology entries that we have in ISO which
closely or identically matches those terms identified from the main
sheet

a lot of the entries are abbreviations and some type of category
should be added to those. is it is an organization, etc. a number of
the entries were software specific, relating to a software platform or
data format.

Cameron has created a glossary page on the OSGEO Live trac site. i
have not had time yet to place some items there but want to use it to
document some of the earlier email discussions. Ron's proposal ideas
for how OSGEO could have a terminology management group and comments
by Bruce Bannerman and others in earlier emails should be added to the
trac page.

i hope this is helpful to show some of the entries. happy to discuss anything.

reese


--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier
Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant

M +61 (0) 419 142 254




_______________________________________________
Standards mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/standards
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGEO glossary in google spreadsheet...

Ronald Tse
Hi Reese, Cameron,

I don’t have a particular preference towards the committee name, but the words “terminology” and ”lexicon" could work well.

My concern on “glossary” is its focus on the produced “glossary”, a by-product of the actual vocabulary that the committee should manage.

(In fact, the committee should manage “concepts” but the “concepts management committee” sounds too weird.)

Ron

_____________________________________

Ronald Tse
Ribose Inc.

On Oct 21, 2019, at 8:52 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

hello Cameron,

the name of the group is really what you and your fellow OSGEO colleagues feel best conveys the work of the group. in ISO" terminology" is used, but also "vocabulary" is an often heard. in our group, i think for historical reasons we used "terminology." over the close to 20 years the group has been active, i think there have been a number of new fields of study or advances in IT which as given rise to other names.  in tc211 our glossary is an "output" product of the terminology repository, to which our members then add translations for the terms.  from the work that has taken place over the years, i guess i am more familiar with "terminology" and how we have been using it in tc211. 

as for the location of the wiki page, i am not really familiar with OSGEO projects. after you have found a place for the group i will start to add those items mentioned earlier.  just let me know the location. if we need a group authorized before the page is created then the current location can be used as content may be helpful as background to the authorization process/requirements. it can always be moved.

thank you,

reese


_______________________________________________
Standards mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/standards
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGEO glossary in google spreadsheet...

Cameron Shorter

Ok, I've created: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Lexicon_Committee and have added some template management process into it.

Feel free to flesh this page out. Don't worry about putting in ideas which are wrong, we can refine after the core ideas are in place.

On 21/10/19 7:12 pm, Ronald Tse wrote:
Hi Reese, Cameron,

I don’t have a particular preference towards the committee name, but the words “terminology” and ”lexicon" could work well.

My concern on “glossary” is its focus on the produced “glossary”, a by-product of the actual vocabulary that the committee should manage.

(In fact, the committee should manage “concepts” but the “concepts management committee” sounds too weird.)

Ron

_____________________________________

Ronald Tse
Ribose Inc.

On Oct 21, 2019, at 8:52 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

hello Cameron,

the name of the group is really what you and your fellow OSGEO colleagues feel best conveys the work of the group. in ISO" terminology" is used, but also "vocabulary" is an often heard. in our group, i think for historical reasons we used "terminology." over the close to 20 years the group has been active, i think there have been a number of new fields of study or advances in IT which as given rise to other names.  in tc211 our glossary is an "output" product of the terminology repository, to which our members then add translations for the terms.  from the work that has taken place over the years, i guess i am more familiar with "terminology" and how we have been using it in tc211. 

as for the location of the wiki page, i am not really familiar with OSGEO projects. after you have found a place for the group i will start to add those items mentioned earlier.  just let me know the location. if we need a group authorized before the page is created then the current location can be used as content may be helpful as background to the authorization process/requirements. it can always be moved.

thank you,

reese

-- 
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier
Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

_______________________________________________
Standards mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/standards
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGEO glossary in google spreadsheet...

Ronald Tse
Thanks Cameron! The page looks good. I’m waiting for my account to be approved :-)

_____________________________________

Ronald Tse
Ribose Inc.

On Oct 22, 2019, at 1:22 AM, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ok, I've created: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Lexicon_Committee and have added some template management process into it.

Feel free to flesh this page out. Don't worry about putting in ideas which are wrong, we can refine after the core ideas are in place.

-- 
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier
Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant

M +61 (0) 419 142 254


_______________________________________________
Standards mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/standards