Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Change of license to MIT for OSSIM plugins contributed by the CNES

Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Change of license to MIT for OSSIM plugins contributed by the CNES

JOHN STASTNY-2
Hi Sebastien, Dave,

No problem from my side.

John

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 12:26 PM, David Burken <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Rashad,

At this point I think it's best to keep it separate.  I'm guessing the OTB team would prefer that way, then all there stuff is in one place.  On our end, we've not done a lot of rigorous testing and some of the models were crashing in the factory loop.  So having it a plugin allows you an easy on/off switch.

Dave

On 05/26/2016 03:18 PM, Rashad Kanavath wrote:
Hello David,

can these sensor models be merged to ossim core instead of ossim-plugins?

IIRC, both have same license (after change) and no dependencies other than ossim.

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 9:05 PM, David Burken <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Sébastien,

I am certainly OK with that change.  Garrett as well.  I will try to reach everyone to make sure but I'm sure it's OK. If OK with everyone I will flip them in the git repo.

Thanks,
Dave

On 05/26/2016 01:55 PM, Sébastien Dinot wrote:
Dear all,

The Ossim Plugins contributed by the Centre National d'Etudes Spatiales (CNES) are currently released under the GNU LGPL v2.1 license :

https://github.com/ossimlabs/ossim-plugins/tree/master/cnes

Following the adoption of the MIT license by the Ossim project, the CNES plans to republish its plugins under the MIT license. The CNES can change the license of the code whom it is the copyright holder. But its plugins include the work of several third parties:

  • (C) Emmanuel Chistophe for the Centre for Remote Imaging, Sensing and Processing (CRISP)
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarData.cpp
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarDataFileDescriptor.cpp
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarDataFileDescriptor.h
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarData.h
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarDataSetSummary.cpp
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarDataSetSummary.h
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarFacilityData.cpp
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarFacilityData.h
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarFileDescriptor.cpp
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarFileDescriptor.h
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarLeader.cpp
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarLeaderFactory.cpp
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarLeaderFactory.h
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarLeader.h
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarMapProjectionData.cpp
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarMapProjectionData.h
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarPlatformPositionData.cpp
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarPlatformPositionData.h
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarPositionVectorRecord.cpp
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarPositionVectorRecord.h
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarRadiometricData.cpp
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarRadiometricData.h
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarRecord.cpp
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarRecordFactory.cpp
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarRecordFactory.h
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarRecord.h
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarRecordHeader.cpp
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarRecordHeader.h
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarSignalData.cpp
    • cnes/src/AlosPalsar/AlosPalsarSignalData.h
    • cnes/src/ossimAlosPalsarModel.cpp
    • cnes/src/ossimAlosPalsarModel.h
  • (C) David Burken :
    • cnes/src/ossimPluginCommon.cpp
    • cnes/src/ossimPluginCommon.h
    • cnes/src/ossimPluginReaderFactory.cpp
    • cnes/src/ossimPluginReaderFactory.h
    • cnes/src/ossimTerraSarProductDoc.h
    • cnes/src/ossimTerraSarTiffReader.cpp
    • cnes/src/ossimTerraSarTiffReader.h
  • (C) John Stastny :
    • cnes/src/ossimRadarSat2TiffReader.cpp
    • cnes/src/ossimRadarSat2TiffReader.h
  • (C) Garrett Potts :
    • src/ossim/ossimPluginInit.cpp

Additionally, the OTB libraries (https://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/) are dynamically linked against the files below:

Files from Ossim-plugins repository:

  • (C) Frank Warmerdam :
    • gdal/src/ossimOgcWktTranslator.cpp
    • gdal/src/ossimOgcWktTranslator.h
Files from Ossim repository:
  • (C) David Burken :
    • include/ossim/plugin/ossimPluginConstants.h

According to their header, these files are still released under GNU LGPL v2.1. Is it an oversight in updating headers or we have to get the written agreement of the authors on this MIT change (in this case we can provide a draft agreement) ?

Regards,

Sébastien, on behalf of OTB team

--
Sébastien Dinot