Re: New Coordinate Conversion Tool in Lat Lon Tools

Re: New Coordinate Conversion Tool in Lat Lon Tools

Mike Flannigan

That is an amazing plugin.?? Thank you.
It is going to help me out a whole bunch.

I like that you have lat,long, and not long,lat in
the DD format.?? Outside of the plugin, in the status
bar at the bottom of my Windows QGIS, and across from
"Coordinate:", QGIS lists long,lat in the DD format.
I've been trying to change that to lat,long but have
been unable to do that so far.?? Anybody know how to
do that?

The coordinate conversion box is incredible too.
Very nice design.?? The only thing I would like to
do that I cannot figure out is to change the DMS
format from
44??22'20" N,86??1'11" W
442220N086111W
But I can easily do that with scripts outside of QGIS,
so it is no big deal to me.

Now I am going to look at your Search Layers plugin.
I think I have a need for that too.

Thanks for all you do.

Mike

On 5/28/2019 2:00 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I have added a new coordinate conversion tool to the "Lat Lon Tools"
> plugin. It is somewhat similar to the capabilities you find with the ArcGIS
> coordinate conversion tool. You can manually copy and paste or type in a
> coordinate in one of the various formats and it will convert it to all the
> others. You can also click on the map to get the same results. Here is the
> plugin:
>
> http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/latlontools/
>
> These are the formats that are currently available:
>
> WGS 84 latitude & longitude
> Project CRS
> Custom CRS
> D?? M' S"
> DDMMSS
> Standard UTM
> MGRS
> Google Plus Codes
>
> Give it a try and let me know what you think.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Calvin

Re: New Coordinate Conversion Tool in Lat Lon Tools

C Hamilton
Mike,

Thank you for your comments. Lat Lon Tools defaults to the (lat, lon) order but that can be changed in the settings. ESRI uses the lon,lat order and it seems like most everyone else uses the lat,lon order.

I don't think the QGIS coordinate display can be changed although perhaps the developer team should consider making that an option. There is a reason some of us, including myself, prefer the lat,lon order.

In Lat Lon Tools, if you select the "Copy Latitude, Longitude" tool, it will display the coordinate in the bottom bar in the lat,lon order or the order of your choice. Of course if you click on the map it will also copy it to the clipboard.

For your need for the DMS to be in the format of "442220N086111W" I will add a separate setting just for that format that specifies the delimiter and if it is blank then it will be like you want.

I welcome any other input that would improve this tool.

Calvin

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 5:42 PM Mike Flannigan <[hidden email]> wrote:

That is an amazing plugin.?? Thank you.
It is going to help me out a whole bunch.

I like that you have lat,long, and not long,lat in
the DD format.?? Outside of the plugin, in the status
bar at the bottom of my Windows QGIS, and across from
"Coordinate:", QGIS lists long,lat in the DD format.
I've been trying to change that to lat,long but have
been unable to do that so far.?? Anybody know how to
do that?

The coordinate conversion box is incredible too.
Very nice design.?? The only thing I would like to
do that I cannot figure out is to change the DMS
format from
44??22'20" N,86??1'11" W
442220N086111W
But I can easily do that with scripts outside of QGIS,
so it is no big deal to me.

Now I am going to look at your Search Layers plugin.
I think I have a need for that too.

Thanks for all you do.

Mike

On 5/28/2019 2:00 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I have added a new coordinate conversion tool to the "Lat Lon Tools"
> plugin. It is somewhat similar to the capabilities you find with the ArcGIS
> coordinate conversion tool. You can manually copy and paste or type in a
> coordinate in one of the various formats and it will convert it to all the
> others. You can also click on the map to get the same results. Here is the
> plugin:
>
> http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/latlontools/
>
> These are the formats that are currently available:
>
> WGS 84 latitude & longitude
> Project CRS
> Custom CRS
> D?? M' S"
> DDMMSS
> Standard UTM
> MGRS
> Google Plus Codes
>
> Give it a try and let me know what you think.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Calvin

Re: New Coordinate Conversion Tool in Lat Lon Tools

C Hamilton
Mike,

I went ahead and added a separate delimiter for the DDMMSS format. It defaults to a ",", but you can go into the Converter settings and leave it blank. By doing so it will produce the coordinate without the comma (ie "442220N0861111W") , but leave the others with a comma or the specified delimiter.

All of the settings are persistent and when you exit QGIS and then relaunch QGIS they will be as you set them.

This latest version of Lat Lon Tools 3.3.1 should be available shortly from the QGIS plugin repo.

Enjoy,