Re: [Marketing] Brochure

Venkatesh Raghavan-2
Hi All,

I am awaiting reply to my mail below
and to seeing "OSGeo Project in Incubation"
back in use.

Thanks

Venka

On 2017/07/31 14:46, Venka wrote:

> On 2017/07/31 12:59, Jody Garnett wrote:
>> No - just the community project logo here:
>>
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/incubation/community
>>
>> Projects will need to complete incubation to increase their visibility at
>> OSGeo. OSGeo Live made the change last month.
>
> Incubation is an important process in our foundation and projects
> undergoing incubation process need to be appropriately recognized
> as such.
>
> It is also important to distinguish graduated projets, projects
> that are in incubation and community projects that fall under
> either of the categories.
>
> So, I think it is better to continue with our past practice and
> have a logo for "OSGeo Project in incubation".
>
> Best
>
> Venka
>

>> --
>> Jody Garnett
>>
>> On 30 July 2017 at 20:36, Venkatesh Raghavan <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> Do we have a new logo for "OSGeo Project in Incubation".
>>>
>>> Best
>>>
>>> Venka

Re: [Marketing] Brochure

Venkatesh Raghavan-2
On 2017/07/31 22:29, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Venka we can have this discussion on the incubation list - it is part of
> the larger what are we doing with projects discussion.

I think this discussion has to be on the board-list.

> I see no need to promote these projects for work they are not performing.

I strongly disagree with the statement above.

a) What do you mean by "not performing". Is the a the yardstick
for measuring such non-performance? OTB which was in incubation has
graduated recently, and I see at least  few projects in incubation
that are very active and perhaps on the verge of graduation too.

b) I think we should not confuse between projects included in
OSGeo-Live and projects being incubated in OSGeo.

c) I see the need to attract more and more projects to incubate
in OSGeo and give them necessary visibility as "OSGeo Project in incubation"

Venka

> On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 10:46 PM Venka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 2017/07/31 12:59, Jody Garnett wrote:
>>> No - just the community project logo here:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/incubation/community
>>>
>>> Projects will need to complete incubation to increase their visibility at
>>> OSGeo. OSGeo Live made the change last month.
>>
>> Incubation is an important process in our foundation and projects
>> undergoing incubation process need to be appropriately recognized
>> as such.
>>
>> It is also important to distinguish graduated projets, projects
>> that are in incubation and community projects that fall under
>> either of the categories.
>>
>> So, I think it is better to continue with our past practice and
>> have a logo for "OSGeo Project in incubation".
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Venka
>>

>>> --
>>> Jody Garnett

>> --
> --
> Jody Garnett

Re: [Marketing] Brochure

dkastl
I also think, that incubation takes often too long.
But it wouldn't be fair to blame only the project or the mentors.
Sometimes it even takes weeks until the votes are collected to pass incubation ;-)

Pretty much everyone involved is doing it as volunteer and I think, that it just needs some push/reminder from time to time to both, mentors and projects, to continue the process.
Deadlines/milestones help to remember tasks. For example OSGeo Live releases are pushing my project every year to review documents and get things done before some deadlines.

The incubation commitee could for example require a status report every 4 or 6 months at specific dates.
It will probably help to get mentors and projects in sync and remind them, that there is something to do. ;-)

Best regards,
Daniel

wrote:

Dear All,

Do we have a new logo for "OSGeo Project in Incubation".

Best

Venka

On 7/28/2017 11:21 PM, Luca Delucchi wrote:

Hi all,

I updated the brochure SVG files with my and Astrid comment, I hope
you like the changes...

https://github.com/lucadelu/osgeo/tree/brochure_svg/marketin
g/print/brochure_a3

Jody Garnett

Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
eMail: [hidden email]
Web: https://georepublic.info

Re: [Marketing] Brochure

jody.garnett
Daniel this is not a (really not) a case of blame; but it is a case of transparency and communication.

It is a case of promoting appropriately - we have introduced a new thing, community projects, that better reflect where incubation projects are in the process.  We are promoting community projects, including those that are in incubation as part of OSGeo.

Just because we are pulling additional projects (like geowebcache and pgrouting) into OSGeo does not automatically mean we are downgrading our projects that have committed to incubation.

--
Jody Garnett

On 8/1/2017 10:43 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
We can make it part of the larger what are we doing with projects strategy
for Boston f2f. Were you able to ask maxi & jeffm to report their findings
to the board?
I do not think that has anything to do with continuing to use the
"OSGeo Project in Incubation logo".

Best

Venka