Re: MapServer 7.2.0 Beta 1 is Released

Lime, Steve D (MNIT)

I should add that the source distribution is available from the usual spot: http://mapserver.org/download.html under development releases.

From: mapserver-users [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Lime, Steve D (MNIT)
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 1:27 PM
To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
Subject: [mapserver-users] MapServer 7.2.0 Beta 1 is Released

Hi all: The MapServer is happy to announce the release of the first beta for MapServer 7.2.0. A long time coming – too long – this version features a number of significant updates, including:

-          Support for Enhanced Layer Metadata Management (RFC82)

-          Calculate MINDISTANCE from label bounds instead of label center (#5369)

-          Reposition follow labels on maxoverlapangle collisions (RFC112)

-          Implement chainable compositing filters (RFC113)

-          Faster retrieval of shape count (RFC114)

-          WMS layer groups are now requestable

-          Support C-style multi-line comments (#5362)

-          PHP 7 MapScript Support Through SWIG (RFC117)

-          Python 3.x support (#5561)

-          Support Vendor-Specific OGC FILTER parameter in WMS requests (RFC118)

-          Mapbox Vector Tile (MVT) Support (RFC119)

-          INSPIRE download service support for WCS 2.0 (RFC120)

We need your help to test things so please give this new version a try. There should be no regressions in mapfile syntax compared to 7.0.x. At least one additional beta release is currently scheduled (a week from now). We’ll see how testing goes… Issues can be reported via GitHub at https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues.

Thanks so much to the developers, folks working on documentation, users that have worked hard over the past few years to make this release happen.

--Steve

Re: MapServer 7.2.0 Beta 1 is Released

Bruno Friedmann-2
On mercredi, 9 mai 2018 20.30:53 h CEST Lime, Steve D (MNIT) wrote:
> I should add that the source distribution is available from the usual spot:
> http://mapserver.org/download.html under development releases.
>
> Behalf Of Lime, Steve D (MNIT) Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 1:27 PM

Just one word : Thanks, fantastic.

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

Re: MapServer 7.2.0 Beta 1 is Released

Lime, Steve D (MNIT)
I do need to clarify the feature set will likely NOT include PHP 7 MapScript support. It’s not ready... —Steve
On mercredi, 9 mai 2018 20.30:53 h CEST Lime, Steve D (MNIT) wrote:
> I should add that the source distribution is available from the usual spot:
> http://mapserver.org/download.html under development releases.
>
> Behalf Of Lime, Steve D (MNIT) Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 1:27 PM

Just one word : Thanks, fantastic.

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch
 GPG KEY : D5C9B751C4653227
 irc: tigerfoot

Re: MapServer 7.2.0 Beta 1 is Released

Worth Lutz

How far out is PHP 7 MapScript support?  Long wait or short? What kind of issues are there?

Worth Lutz

I do need to clarify the feature set will likely NOT include PHP 7 MapScript support. It’s not ready... —Steve
On mercredi, 9 mai 2018 20.30:53 h CEST Lime, Steve D (MNIT) wrote:
> I should add that the source distribution is available from the usual spot:
> http://mapserver.org/download.html under development releases.
>
> Behalf Of Lime, Steve D (MNIT) Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 1:27 PM

Just one word : Thanks, fantastic.

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch
 GPG KEY : D5C9B751C4653227
 irc: tigerfoot

Re: MapServer 7.2.0 Beta 1 is Released

Lime, Steve D (MNIT)

Well, I thought the work had been completed, but then again I’m not a PHP user at all and haven’t paid that close of attention – other devs have traditionally led that charge. This came up as the beta was released. We have two ways to proceed:

1.       PHP 7 support via SWIG - http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-117.html. The RFC still shows draft status but there was a vote taken a little over a year ago and the RFC was accepted. Jeff will have to update folks on that work. I should have checked specifically ahead of the release – my fault.

2.       PHP/MapScript support (native code) - https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/5252 and https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/5461. There’s a pull request for that, it wasn’t clear if it should be applied given the RFC for SWIG support. It appears like that still needs a bit of work and testing (and Window’s compilation).

I guess I’d prefer to pursue both ASAP. That way there’s something for the longtime PHP/MapScript user and someone new. Again, I’m not a PHP or a Windows user so I’m not in a position to lead that work. Unless I’m missing something I don’t see how either 1 or 2 can make it into 7.2.0 at this point and I don’t want to delay 7.2 any further. I’d favor a short turnaround on a 7.2.1 or 7.4.0 release with PHP 7 support as the primary addition.

--Steve

On mercredi, 9 mai 2018 20.30:53 h CEST Lime, Steve D (MNIT) wrote:
> I should add that the source distribution is available from the usual spot:
> http://mapserver.org/download.html under development releases.
>
> Behalf Of Lime, Steve D (MNIT) Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 1:27 PM

Just one word : Thanks, fantastic.

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch
 GPG KEY : D5C9B751C4653227
 irc: tigerfoot

Re: MapServer 7.2.0 Beta 1 is Released

Even Rouault-2

On jeudi 10 mai 2018 17:54:16 CEST Lime, Steve D (MNIT) wrote:

> Well, I thought the work had been completed, but then again I'm not a PHP

> user at all and haven't paid that close of attention - other devs have

> traditionally led that charge. This came up as the beta was released. We

> have two ways to proceed:

> 1. PHP 7 support via SWIG -

> http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-117.html. The RFC still shows

> draft status but there was a vote taken a little over a year ago and the

> RFC was accepted. Jeff will have to update folks on that work. I should

> have checked specifically ahead of the release - my fault.

> 2. PHP/MapScript support (native code) -

> https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/5252 and

> https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/5461. There's a pull request

> for that, it wasn't clear if it should be applied given the RFC for SWIG

> support. It appears like that still needs a bit of work and testing (and

> Window's compilation).

> I guess I'd prefer to pursue both ASAP. That way there's something for the

> longtime PHP/MapScript user and someone new. Again, I'm not a PHP or a

> Windows user so I'm not in a position to lead that work. Unless I'm missing

> something I don't see how either 1 or 2 can make it into 7.2.0 at this

> point and I don't want to delay 7.2 any further. I'd favor a short

> turnaround on a 7.2.1 or 7.4.0 release with PHP 7 support as the primary

> addition.

I'm also supportive of not delaying 7.2 further because of that. There's already enough goodness in it.

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: MapServer 7.2.0 Beta 1 is Released

Daniel Morissette
I'm also +1 to proceed with PHP 7 support disabled to avoid delaying the
release any longer, and to re-enable it in a later release.

Daniel

On 2018-05-10 2:00 PM, Even Rouault wrote:

> On jeudi 10 mai 2018 17:54:16 CEST Lime, Steve D (MNIT) wrote:
>
>  > Well, I thought the work had been completed, but then again I'm not a PHP
>
>  > user at all and haven't paid that close of attention - other devs have
>
>  > traditionally led that charge. This came up as the beta was released. We
>
>  > have two ways to proceed:
>
>  >
>
>  >
>
>  > 1. PHP 7 support via SWIG -
>
>  > http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-117.html. The RFC still shows
>
>  > draft status but there was a vote taken a little over a year ago and the
>
>  > RFC was accepted. Jeff will have to update folks on that work. I should
>
>  > have checked specifically ahead of the release - my fault.
>
>  >
>
>  > 2. PHP/MapScript support (native code) -
>
>  > https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/5252 and
>
>  > https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/5461. There's a pull request
>
>  > for that, it wasn't clear if it should be applied given the RFC for SWIG
>
>  > support. It appears like that still needs a bit of work and testing (and
>
>  > Window's compilation).
>
>  >
>
>  > I guess I'd prefer to pursue both ASAP. That way there's something
> for the
>
>  > longtime PHP/MapScript user and someone new. Again, I'm not a PHP or a
>
>  > Windows user so I'm not in a position to lead that work. Unless I'm
> missing
>
>  > something I don't see how either 1 or 2 can make it into 7.2.0 at this
>
>  > point and I don't want to delay 7.2 any further. I'd favor a short
>
>  > turnaround on a 7.2.1 or 7.4.0 release with PHP 7 support as the primary
>
>  > addition.
>
> I'm also supportive of not delaying 7.2 further because of that. There's
> already enough goodness in it.

> http://www.spatialys.com

Daniel Morissette
Mapgears Inc