Re: Mac QGIS 3 GRASS fix

William Kyngesburye
What are you doing?  GRASS plugin tools or Processing GRASS algorithms?

Nothing should be trying to write to the GRASS dir.  There should not be permissions problem reading from the GRASS dir.

On Mar 22, 2018, at 11:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

Thanks William.  I'm still getting some sort of error using grass.  Not sure if this is still related.

/var/folders/d3/q41sw4cj5_s479lpjf1z3hwc0000gn/T/processing_7fd31b05f63f437c84dee066f864d9f9/grassdata/temp_location/PERMANENT: /Applications/QGIS3.app/Contents/MacOS/grass/etc/colors/grass: Permission denied
/var/folders/d3/q41sw4cj5_s479lpjf1z3hwc0000gn/T/processing_7fd31b05f63f437c84dee066f864d9f9/grassdata/temp_location/PERMANENT: /Applications/QGIS3.app/Contents/MacOS/grass/etc/colors/grass: Permission denied

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 8:36 AM, William Kyngesburye <[hidden email]> wrote:
The non-working GRASS in the Mac QGIS 3 should be fixed now.  It appears the GRASS internals still don't like spaces in the path to GRASS -- this came from my adding "3" to the QGIS app name with a space.  The app is now without a space, "QGIS3.app".

It looks like the missing SAGA is also fixed by the rebuild (don't know why, it just happened).

REMINDER: My QGIS 3 package requires the python.org Python 3.  Other distributions/installations of Python are not supported (ie Homebrew, Macports, Anaconda...).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do if you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer, I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.

Re: [QGIS-Developer] Mac QGIS 3 GRASS fix

Nyall Dawson
On 23 March 2018 at 08:47, William Kyngesburye <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, it seems that running any GRASS Processing coughs up this error.
> Mystery to me, permissions are correct for the app, nothing should be
> writing to the app, and if it is trying that's wrong.
>
> The error doesn't help me try to figure out what's going on.  Help would be
> appreciated.

I believe it's this bug:

https://issues.qgis.org/issues/17555

The permission errors is caused because it's actually trying to
execute /Applications/QGIS3.app/Contents/MacOS/grass/etc/colors/grass
instead of the correct grass binary.

The bug is caused by this function:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/python/plugins/processing/algs/grass7/Grass7Utils.py#L130

It's trying to automatically generate the grass executable path, but
it's incorrectly finding the colors/grass folder and deciding that
it's the grass executable. I think inserting a os.path.isfile check
somewhere around line 145 should fix this, but not having access to an
osx install I haven't been able to test this.

Hope that helps -- would be great to have this one sorted for 3.0.1 if
you can confirm a fix!

Nyall

> On Mar 22, 2018, at 1:10 PM, William Kyngesburye <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> What are you doing?  GRASS plugin tools or Processing GRASS algorithms?
>
> Nothing should be trying to write to the GRASS dir.  There should not be
> permissions problem reading from the GRASS dir.
>
> On Mar 22, 2018, at 11:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Thanks William.  I'm still getting some sort of error using grass.  Not sure
> if this is still related.
>
> /var/folders/d3/q41sw4cj5_s479lpjf1z3hwc0000gn/T/processing_7fd31b05f63f437c84dee066f864d9f9/grassdata/temp_location/PERMANENT:
> /Applications/QGIS3.app/Contents/MacOS/grass/etc/colors/grass: Permission
> denied
> /var/folders/d3/q41sw4cj5_s479lpjf1z3hwc0000gn/T/processing_7fd31b05f63f437c84dee066f864d9f9/grassdata/temp_location/PERMANENT:
> /Applications/QGIS3.app/Contents/MacOS/grass/etc/colors/grass: Permission
> denied
>

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 8:36 AM, William Kyngesburye <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> The non-working GRASS in the Mac QGIS 3 should be fixed now.  It appears
>> the GRASS internals still don't like spaces in the path to GRASS -- this
>> came from my adding "3" to the QGIS app name with a space.  The app is now
>> without a space, "QGIS3.app".
>>
>> It looks like the missing SAGA is also fixed by the rebuild (don't know
>> why, it just happened).
>>
>> REMINDER: My QGIS 3 package requires the python.org Python 3.  Other
>> distributions/installations of Python are not supported (ie Homebrew,
>> Macports, Anaconda...).
>>
>> -----
>> William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>
>> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>>
>> [Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed robot?
>>
>> [Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do if you
>> ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer, I'm 50,000
>> times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the answer...
>>
>> - HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy

> -----
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.

> -----
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> "We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
> particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is over. That
> is my duty."
>
> "Don't you even hate 'em?"
>
> "What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of the
> allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the ____ it
> wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."
>
> <Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."
>
> - Tarzan, on war

Re: [QGIS-Developer] Mac QGIS 3 GRASS fix

Mr. Stace D Maples
This thread is "Mac QGIS 3 GRASS fix, but I don't see anything that fixes the problem. Has anyone managed to get GRASS working in QGIS3 for OSX? I'm running the latest installer QGIS-macOS-3.2.0-1.dmg and it's still not working.

Also, we've put an inquiry in with Andreas Neumann about how to support (financially and otherwise) the creation of proper OSX installers that are stable enough to depend upon for research and deploy enterprise wide. We've not heard back and it's been about 3 weeks. Is there another venue for us to contact QGIS.org to try to get this properly funded so we can move on to work that matters, rather than installing and uninstalling non-working distributions?

In F,L&T,
Stace Maples
Geospatial Manager
Stanford Geospatial Center
@mapninja
G+, Skype, Hangout: stacey.maples
214.641.0920
Find GeoData: https://earthworks.stanford.edu <https://earthworks.stanford.edu/>
Get GeoHelp: https://gis.stanford.edu/

"I have a map of the United States... actual size.
It says, "Scale: 1 mile = 1 mile."
I spent last summer folding it."
-Steven Wright-

On 3/22/18, 6:34 PM, "Qgis-user on behalf of William Kyngesburye" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Yes, that looks like the source of the problem.  The os.walk() finds the color file named "grass" before it has a chance to find the real "grass72" file at the top level of the grasspath.  Though this is odd since it looks like os.walk by default should return a folder's info before it walks subfolders.

    I don't think a file check will help, since it finds a file from the returned files list.  I do think the walking the whole grasspath tree is excessive.

> [...]
    >>> times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the answer...
    >>>
    >>> - HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy

    >> -----
    >> William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>
    >> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
    >>
    >> All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.

    >> -----
    >> William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>
    >> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
    >>
    >> "We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
    >> particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is over. That
    >> is my duty."
    >>
    >> "Don't you even hate 'em?"
    >>
    >> "What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of the
    >> allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the ____ it
    >> wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."
    >>
    >> <Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

    -----
    http://www.kyngchaos.com/

    "Mon Dieu! but they are all alike.  Cheating, murdering, lying, fighting, and all for things that the beasts of the jungle would not deign to possess - money to purchase the effeminate pleasures of weaklings.  And yet withal bound down by silly customs that make them slaves to their unhappy lot while firm in the belief that they be the lords of creation enjoying the only real pleasures of existence....

    - the wisdom of Tarzan