Re: Land Cover 1990

Zinhle Ngubane

Good Day,

  1. Has anyone ever had success downloading data off the DEA EGIS site?
  2. Can someone please direct me to where I can get landcover 1990, specifically for KZN?

Thank you

Kind Regards

Zinhle Ngubane
GIS Technologist

JG Afrika (Pty) Ltd

Tel: +27 33 343 6700 | Fax: +27 33 343 6701
Email: [hidden email] | Web: http://www.jgafrika.com
6 Pin Oak Avenue, Hilton, Pietermaritzburg, 3201, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
P.O. Box 794, Hilton, 3245, South Africa

JG Afrika is a level 1 B-BBEE contributor and is ISO 9001:2015 certified for its full range of services
Email Legal Notice: http://www.jgafrika.com/emailpolicy.pdf

SAICE Western Cape Awards 2017

From: Steven Feldman <[hidden email]>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2018, 13:38
To: [hidden email] Discussions <[hidden email]>

The FOSS4G Travel Grant Programme is now open for applications at
https://www.osgeo.org/foundation-news/foss4g-2018-travel-grant-programme/

There is also a link to donate to support the TGP and help us to enable more
people to attend

Please publicise

Steven

Regards

Steven Feldman
KnowWhere

mobile:     +44 (0)7958 924101
web:        www.knowwhereconsulting.co.uk
twitter:     http://twitter.com/stevenfeldman
skype:     stevenfeldman2638

Re: Land Cover 1990

Athenkosi Ntshate
Try USGS website if u failing on that one,

Thank you

Kind Regards,

Mr. Athenkosi Ntshate
GIS Technician- GTc GISc 2138
MSc. Construction Management Candidate-NMU
BSc. Honours in Geographical Information Systems-NMU
BSc. Geographical Information Systems & Geology-UFH
Cell: 0610377930
Work: 0414030458

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 12:33 PM, Zinhle Ngubane <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good Day,

  1. Has anyone ever had success downloading data off the DEA EGIS site?
  2. Can someone please direct me to where I can get landcover 1990, specifically for KZN?

Thank you

Kind Regards

Zinhle Ngubane
GIS Technologist

JG Afrika (Pty) Ltd

Tel: +27 33 343 6700 | Fax: +27 33 343 6701
Email: [hidden email] | Web: http://www.jgafrika.com
6 Pin Oak Avenue, Hilton, Pietermaritzburg, 3201, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
P.O. Box 794, Hilton, 3245, South Africa

JG Afrika is a level 1 B-BBEE contributor and is ISO 9001:2015 certified for its full range of services
Email Legal Notice: http://www.jgafrika.com/emailpolicy.pdf

SAICE Western Cape Awards 2017

Re: Land Cover 1990

Aslam Parker-2

Hi Zinhle

I am not aware of landcover in KZN in 1990. Perhaps there was a provincial initiative that I am not aware of.

The first South African NLC map was published in 1996 and is termed NLC 94. It was produced by the joint efforts of the CSIR and ARC.  The SANDF was also involved. It was produced It was produced from geo-referenced (rubber-sheeted) single-date Landsat TM 1994-1995 images known as SpaceMaps.  Classification was done using manual photo-interpretation and literally tracing off the “SpaceMaps”. Paper printouts were produced at a scale of 1:250 000 using the same grid as the NGI 1: 250K National Map Series.  This was based on a minimum mapping unit of 25 ha. 31 Land cover classes were identified.  The data was later digitised and I am sure SANSA has a copy of this.

See,  DHK Fairbanks, MW Thompson, DE Vink, TS Newby, HM Van den Berg, DA Everard: The South African land –cover characteristics database: A synopsis of the landscape. SAJS. 96 (2): 69-82, 2000.

Re: Land Cover 1990

Zinhle Ngubane

Hi Aslam,

The DEA EGIS website does have one. I have not looked at it yet but I have just downloaded it using my phone from the EGIS site and it downloaded. I will let you know how it looks like once I have had a look.

Thank you