Re: [Geoserver-users] netcdf - wcs resource

Re: [Geoserver-users] netcdf - wcs resource

Alex Petkov
Hello Norman:

Thanks for for reply. I will continue with in line comments.
> I am in discussions with Simone Giannechini who is leading GeoServer WCS, to
> try and get the direction of incorporating GML in Jpeg2000 as a coverage
> format, particularly as netCDF in JP2 is a recommended profile in the spec.
> Does this interest you?

Yes, esp. if there's any work outlined, or some code being developed.
I am not sure which spec you are referring to, but it looks like it is
the WCS spec document, correct?

> If you need to get a collection on-line why you do some GeoServer
> development, my MapServer netCDF howto is available here
> http://ms.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/WCSServerFormatHowTo.  I am keen to use
> GeoServer, for its WFS, and planned GML support.  Both very good servers as
> they are though.

Similar to your approach from some time ago, I have a routine to
convert the netCDF data to a series of Geotiff files, and describe
those as coverages in Geoserver's catalog. I use the WCS branch,
obviously. For contouring the data, I create a series of geometries in
Postgis and query those as FeatureTypes. It works for now, but it is a
temporary solution.

Currently I am mainly looking to orient myself on how to proceed with
respect to implementing netCDF support. I believe I need to look at
developing a plugin similar to the one for ArcGrid coverage (it has
been mentioned in the list before).  I already have a way to read the
gridded data using the netcdf java API.

There's still something ambiguous about how to handle time series
data. I remember seeing the issue addressed in the WCS spec document,
but I am not sure if it is a part of geoserver (or geotools ) yet.
This was also a topic of discussion during IRC meets, it looks I have
to revisit the archives.

Anyway, if someone has ideas on how I should proceed from here, please
do share.

And Norman, thanks for sharing your Mapserver NetCDF howto. I will
make sure to go through it this week.

Alex

> >From: Alex Petkov <[hidden email]>
> >To: "Norman Barker" <[hidden email]>
> >Subject: Re: [Geoserver-users] netcdf - wcs resource
> >Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 10:29:19 -0700
> >
> >Hello Norman:
> >
> >I have been tasked to do the same thing, and I wonder what work is already
> >being done.
> >
> >Can you tell me if you worked on netcdf coverage support and how far into
> >it are you?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Alex
> >

> >[hidden email] wrote on 04/29/2005 08:11:39
> >AM:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > my boss at RSI has resourced me to put some time into adding netCDF
> >coverage
> > > support into Geoserver, the reason that it took so long since my initial
> > > enquiry is that we had to develop a baseline solution using MapServer.
> > >
> > > Please advise on what needs to be done, and how to do it, and I will get
> >on.
> > >
> > > Many thanks,
> > >
> > > Norman Barker

Re: [Geoserver-users] netcdf - wcs resource

Chris Holmes-2
If any of you raster/coverage types want to take a shot at some
documentation (pretty please?), I just created a wiki area for you to
put stuff up.  See
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOSDOC/WCS+and+Raster+Documentation
Really most anything would be helpful, and this should eventually grow
into full docs for all this stuff.

I also added a section for Complex Feature stuff:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOSDOC/Complex+Feature+Documentation
Would be great if someone could start to fill that out, at the least
how to download, start, and maybe do a small mapping.

keep up the great work everyone,

Chris

Quoting Alexander Petkov <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
> > >Subject: Re: [Geoserver-users] netcdf - wcs resource
> > >Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 10:29:19 -0700
> > >
> > >Hello Norman:
> > >
> > >I have been tasked to do the same thing, and I wonder what work is
> already
> > >being done.
> > >
> > >Can you tell me if you worked on netcdf coverage support and how
> far into
> > >it are you?
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >
> > >Alex
> > >

> > >[hidden email] wrote on 04/29/2005
> 08:11:39
> > >AM:

> netCDF
> > >coverage
> my initial
> MapServer.

> will get
> > >on.

Re: [Geoserver-users] netcdf - wcs resource

alexander-petkov
I don't mind at all, simply because if I figure out how to do
something I don't document it, and later on I spend time figuring out
the same problem all over again.
For today  I will document the addition of a custom projection, in
PostGis and in Geoserver's HSQL database.

Alex
On 11/22/05, Chris Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > temporary solution.
> >
> > Currently I am mainly looking to orient myself on how to proceed with
> > respect to implementing netCDF support. I believe I need to look at
> > developing a plugin similar to the one for ArcGrid coverage (it has
> > been mentioned in the list before).  I already have a way to read the
> > gridded data using the netcdf java API.
> >
> > There's still something ambiguous about how to handle time series
> > data. I remember seeing the issue addressed in the WCS spec document,
> > but I am not sure if it is a part of geoserver (or geotools ) yet.
> > This was also a topic of discussion during IRC meets, it looks I have
> > to revisit the archives.
> >
> > Anyway, if someone has ideas on how I should proceed from here,
> > please
> > do share.
> >
> > And Norman, thanks for sharing your Mapserver NetCDF howto. I will

RE: Re: [Geoserver-users] netcdf - wcs resource

Efren Serra
Hello Alex,

I would be willing to help you provide/implement netCDF support on GeoServer
since I deal with Gridded data.
I was wondering if you could elaborate on the time series data; wouldn't
this be adressed by one of the following GML schemas:

14 GML schemas - temporal information and dynamic features
18 GML schemas - observations

v/r,
Efren

On 11/29/05, Efren Serra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Alex,
>
> I would be willing to help you provide/implement netCDF support on GeoServer
> since I deal with Gridded data.
> I was wondering if you could elaborate on the time series data; wouldn't
> this be adressed by one of the following GML schemas:
>
> 14 GML schemas - temporal information and dynamic features
> 18 GML schemas - observations
>
> v/r,
> Efren

Hi Efren:

Yes, except that I don't think it is currently implemented. Correct if
I am wrong, please.

Alex

I believe we need to develop a plugin similar to the one for ArcGrid
Coverage in geotools. I am not sure as to which geotools version
Alessio is curently using in geoserver's WCS branch. Then we'll
probably create a branch with which we can work.

As far as reading and transforming netcdf data, I have already done
some work with the Java netcdf library.

Simone and Allessio are curently working on the design for nD coverage
support, and Bryce Nordgren is currently writing use cases.

Thanks for your help,
Alex

On 11/29/05, Efren Serra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alex,
>
> How do we go about coordinating/implementing netCDF support on GeoServer?
> Thank you.
>
> v/r,
> Efren

Rob Atkinson-2
Hi All,

couple of pointers and questions...

am currently trying to organise some effort to get a major new geotools
enhancement (Complex features) into the Geoserver head, and the WCS
support is an obvious target to try to roll in. Would be grateful if you
can identify any issues, futher development work required to roll that
in, and also if any committed effort for this can be rolled into my
project plan as in-kind support. This sort of in-kind support will help
make the case for the bits of cash we are chasing to support UI upgrades
for the new stuff etc.

Is there a UI config for the new WCS stuff? If not, what needs to be done?

Norman - what is the current status of NetCDF support you were looking at?

In general - we have two requirements in the medium term:
1) auto-configure WCS for a catalogue of NetCDF files, to support
subsetting actions easily having found a netCDF file in a catalogue
2) be able to subset (in a single WCS call)  from collections of netCDF
files across both spatial and temporal dimensions.

obviously, these capabilities would be better if they are not specific
to netCDF formats.

What is the intention, progress etc here?

Also, there are many netCDF conventions - what is the expected level of
support and configurability?

Regards
Rob Atkinson
Social Change Online
(on behalf several clients!)

Efren Serra wrote:

> Hello Alex,
>
> I would be willing to help you provide/implement netCDF support on GeoServer
> since I deal with Gridded data.
> I was wondering if you could elaborate on the time series data; wouldn't
> this be adressed by one of the following GML schemas:
>
> 14 GML schemas - temporal information and dynamic features
> 18 GML schemas - observations
>
> v/r,
> Efren

Folks,

As far as the GML 3.1 specification and GML schemas - coverages in
particular, what is implemented in either geotools or geoserver?
Is the gml:FileType implemented?  Thank you.

v/r,
Efren

[hidden email]; Woolf, A (Andrew); Dietmar
Muller; Keiran Millard; geotools-devel; Amit Parashar
Subject: Re: [Geoserver-devel] Re: [Geoserver-users] netcdf - wcs
resource

On 11/29/05, Rob Atkinson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> couple of pointers and questions...
>
> am currently trying to organise some effort to get a major new geotools
> enhancement (Complex features) into the Geoserver head, and the WCS
> support is an obvious target to try to roll in. Would be grateful if you
> can identify any issues, futher development work required to roll that
> in, and also if any committed effort for this can be rolled into my
> project plan as in-kind support.

Reporting issues here on the list or on the jira? The jira seems like
the best central place for reporting issues. As far as I know, there
aren't too many people aside from me and Bryce,  and Alessio and
Simone that use the WCS branch on a regular basis.

> Is there a UI config for the new WCS stuff?

Yes there is. The configuration for a Coverage is similar to the
configuration for a FeatureType.

> Norman - what is the current status of NetCDF support you were looking at?
>
> In general - we have two requirements in the medium term:
> 1) auto-configure WCS for a catalogue of NetCDF files, to support
> subsetting actions easily having found a netCDF file in a catalogue
> 2) be able to subset (in a single WCS call)  from collections of netCDF
> files across both spatial and temporal dimensions.
>
> obviously, these capabilities would be better if they are not specific
> to netCDF formats.

I see this as being configurable in a manner very similar to other
CoverageStore formats.
With respect to configuring a CoverageStore from a NetCDF file via the
web interface,  I see it as follows:

1. A path to the NetCDF file is needed (just like everything else
currently in existence).
2. The user can specify the desired variable for which a GridCoverage
will be created.
3. The user specifies the time dimension.
4.  I don't know how height will be handled yet.
5. The projection parameters can be detected from the NetCDF file, if
there's any. If not, specify one???

> What is the intention, progress etc here?

I have working code that will convert netCDF Geogrids to raster
coverages for display in the WCS branch, and to FeatureTypes for
contourng the data, by using the NetCDF java library from
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/). I have to gain
understanding on how to transform the elements of a netCDF Geogrid to
GridCoverages in geotools.

From then on it is necessary to:
1. See how nD formats will be handled. Efren Serra is curently
inquiring as to what is supported in the schema for nD coverages.
2. Create a plugin for NetCDF files, similar to the other Coverage plugins.

> Also, there are many netCDF conventions - what is the expected level of
> support and configurability?

That is why I think that some user interaction during Coverage
configuration will be required (similar to the other Coverage
plugins)--to choose the variable for which a coverage store will be
created, and to specify other dimensions like time and such.

I am also interested to find out how other people see it.

Alex

> Regards
> Rob Atkinson
> Social Change Online
> (on behalf several clients!)
>

> Efren Serra wrote:
> > Hello Alex,
> >
> > I would be willing to help you provide/implement netCDF support on GeoServer
> > since I deal with Gridded data.
> > I was wondering if you could elaborate on the time series data; wouldn't
> > this be adressed by one of the following GML schemas:
> >
> > 14 GML schemas - temporal information and dynamic features
> > 18 GML schemas - observations
> >
> > v/r,
> > Efren

Norman Barker-3

[hidden email]; Woolf, A (Andrew); Dietmar
Muller; Keiran Millard; geotools-devel; Amit Parashar;
[hidden email]; [hidden email]
resource

<snip>

I see this as being configurable in a manner very similar to other
CoverageStore formats.
With respect to configuring a CoverageStore from a NetCDF file via the
web interface,  I see it as follows:

1. A path to the NetCDF file is needed (just like everything else
currently in existence).
2. The user can specify the desired variable for which a GridCoverage
will be created.
3. The user specifies the time dimension.
4.  I don't know how height will be handled yet.
5. The projection parameters can be detected from the NetCDF file, if
there's any. If not, specify one???

> What is the intention, progress etc here?

I have working code that will convert netCDF Geogrids to raster
coverages for display in the WCS branch, and to FeatureTypes for
contourng the data, by using the NetCDF java library from
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/). I have to gain
understanding on how to transform the elements of a netCDF Geogrid to
GridCoverages in geotools.

From then on it is necessary to:
1. See how nD formats will be handled. Efren Serra is curently
inquiring as to what is supported in the schema for nD coverages.
2. Create a plugin for NetCDF files, similar to the other Coverage plugins.

> Also, there are many netCDF conventions - what is the expected level of
> support and configurability?

That is why I think that some user interaction during Coverage
configuration will be required (similar to the other Coverage
plugins)--to choose the variable for which a coverage store will be
created, and to specify other dimensions like time and such.

I am also interested to find out how other people see it.

Alex

The status from mine (& RSI UK, & I believe Simone's group) is that we tried to get some funding to add netCDF into GeoServer and are waiting for the results of this.  It is great that someone else has taken this up, and seems to have made a lot of progress.

I am keen (and will do it if we can agree, and someone generates a list of requirements) to implement a GML in JP2 profile for netCDF / n-dimensional data which I think I can fit in with some of our projects here.  I like this approach since it is a universal format and opens up the format to other WCSs / WMSs as well, though the way they handle BBoxs would be interesting.  In particular Jpeg2000 seems to becoming the standard in large organisations.  I also know the Jpeg2000 file format quite well.

I am keen to use the GML approach to cover the following

1) WFS should be able serve coverages
2) NCML from the Stefano, Uni Of Florence
3) CSML, Andrew Woolf

I would quite like to get started on this, so if I can have some direction then that would be great.

Norman

RE: Re: [Geoserver-users] netcdf - wcs resource

Simon.Cox
You may like to look at the updated O&M spec (currently just a "Pending Document" on the OGC Portal - http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=13019&version=1 - but a significant overhaul of the 2003 version).
In particular this
(1) provides a more robust version of Observations for GML
(2) introduces an "Event" supertype
(3) canvasses some ideas to cross the coverage/grids/observation divide.
On the latter, there is a general view within OGC that the arrays and grids issue is again ripe to be revisited.
The distinction between spatio-temporal and other (thematic?) axes, while useful for certain kinds of operational purposes, is ultimately unnatural.
Conversations on this list, and the GALEON and JPG lists attest to some of the issues.

Simon Cox

Jody Garnett
Efren Serra wrote:

>Folks,
>
>As far as the GML 3.1 specification and GML schemas - coverages in
>particular, what is implemented in either geotools or geoserver?
>Is the gml:FileType implemented?  Thank you.

We have some code for GML3 over in udig land, ask Justin for details.
Some support for coverages
is being explored for JTS on that email list. I assume coverages would
not be considered until we have a
data structure to hold them in ...

Jody