Re: Geonode DevMode Installation (Julierme Pinheiro)

Re: Geonode DevMode Installation (Julierme Pinheiro)

Toni Schönbuchner
Dear Julierme,

I got confused in one thing here. When Geonode is installed in DevMode,
Geoserver and Geonode are served by Paver.

this is a bit vague. Paver does not „serve“ geonode or geoserver.
It´s a managment tool like make which runs tasks for you.

So when you run 'paver start‘ it runs django´s build in webserver:
and ‚jetty' to serve geoserver:

Django´s runserver reloads whenever you change some py file.
Perfect for development;) But not for production:

Now’s a good time to note: don’t use this server in anything resembling a production environment. It’s intended only for use while developing. (We’re in the business of making Web frameworks, not Web servers.)

In production you setup apache or nginx uwsgi, or … together with most likely
Tomcat to serve geonode and geoserver. (Apache does not restart if
you change a python file as runserver does ;)

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Cheers,

Toni

CSGIS

Kolonnadenstraße 1
04109 Leipzig
Mobil +49/ (0) 176 6680 3198
Tel  +49/ (0) 341 24 04 738
Fax  +49/ (0) 341 24 04 73

Hinweis gemäß § 33 BDSG
Daten der Verfahrensbeteiligten werden gespeichert. Dieses Dokument ist ausschließlich für den
Adressaten bestimmt. Der Inhalt der E-Mail ist vertraulich. Falls Sie diese E-Mail versehentlich
erhalten haben, rufen Sie uns unter obiger Rufnummer umgehend an und löschen Sie diese Nachricht
von Ihrem Computer. Jegliche Art von Reproduktionen, Verbreitung, Vervielfältigung, Veränderung,
Verteilung und/oder Veröffentlichung dieser E-Mail ist verboten.

Am 15.05.2018 um 18:08 schrieb [hidden email]:

Dear geonode Developers,

I got confused in one thing here. When Geonode is installed in DevMode,
Geoserver and Geonode are served by Paver. So, I can do that following any
of these guides:

1 - Ubuntu 16.04 LTS installation until the end of this URL:
http://docs.geonode.org/en/master/tutorials/install_and_admi
n/geonode_install/create_geonode_db.html

2 - https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode-project

3 - http://geonode.org/dev-workshop/#/3/2

And when geonode is not in DevMod are the followings cases:

1 - Installed via apt-get

2 - Geoserver is served by tomcat and Geonode by apache2

Are my statements corrects? Could someone give an explanation on that
please?

Thank you for your time in advance

Kind regards

Julierme

Re: Geonode DevMode Installation (Julierme Pinheiro)

juliermeopensourcedeveloper
Dear Toni Schonbuchner,

Thank you very much for the updates and explanation. I could see through the link https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode/blob/master/pavement.py#L560 that Paver Script (pavement.py) has 3  functions def  setup_geoserver start_geoserver and stop_geoserver.

I realized these functions here http://geonode.org/dev-workshop/#/2/3

1 -$ paver setup
# This command downloads and extract the correct GeoServer version
2 -$ paver sync
# This command prepares the DB tables and loads initial data
3 -$ paver start
# This command allows you to start GeoNode in development mode

When I installed geonode from source (http://docs.geonode.org/en/master/tutorials/install_and_admin/geonode_install/), I realized at the installation stage (http://docs.geonode.org/en/master/tutorials/install_and_admin/geonode_install/install_geoserver_application.html) I had geoserver being fired by tomcat8 in port 8080 <http://localhost:8080/geoserver> and in port 80 <http://localhost/geoserver/web>.  However, during geonode-project installation (https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode-project), one thing to do is to run DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE=my_geonode.settings paver setup and this command will download geoserver and in this point I have a question: in which port geoserver is going to run, because I have already por 80 and 8080 being used for geonode production installed from source (using virtualenv).

If I run DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE=my_geonode.settings paver stop or paver stop or paver stop_geoserver this is the response to pavement.stop_geoserver
Stopping java (process number 1215)
[...]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/geo/Envs/my_geonode/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/paver/tasks.py", line 196, in _run_task
    return do_task()
  File "/home/geo/Envs/my_geonode/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/paver/tasks.py", line 192, in do_task
    task()
  File "/home/geo/Envs/my_geonode/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/paver/tasks.py", line 321, in __call__
    retval = environment._run_task(self.name, self.needs, self.func)
  File "/home/geo/Envs/my_geonode/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/paver/tasks.py", line 214, in _run_task
    return do_task()
  File "/home/geo/Envs/my_geonode/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/paver/tasks.py", line 193, in do_task
    return func(**kw)
  File "pavement.py", line 470, in stop_geoserver
    kill('java', 'geoserver')
  File "pavement.py", line 1051, in kill
    % (arg1, '\n'.join([l.strip() for l in lines])))
Exception: Could not stop java: Running processes are
tomcat8   1215  0.8  9.2 4524172 944172 ?      Sl   10:54   2:13 /usr/lib/jvm/default-java/bin/java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/var/lib/tomcat8/conf/logging.properties -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager -Djava.awt.headless=true -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -XX:PermSize=128m -Xms512m -Xmx2048m -Duser.timezone=GMT -Dorg.geotools.shapefile.datetime=true -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -Dfile.encoding=UTF8 -Duser.timezone=GMT -Djavax.servlet.request.encoding=UTF-8 -Djavax.servlet.response.encoding=UTF-8 -DGEOSERVER_DATA_DIR=/data/geoserver-data -Dgeofence.dir=/data/geoserver-data/geofence -DGEOSERVER_LOG_LOCATION=/data/geoserver-logs/geoserver.log -DGEOWEBCACHE_CACHE_DIR=/data/gwc_cache_dir -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/share/tomcat8/endorsed -classpath /usr/share/tomcat8/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/share/tomcat8/bin/tomcat-juli.jar -Dcatalina.base=/var/lib/tomcat8 -Dcatalina.home=/usr/share/tomcat8 -Djava.io.tmpdir=/tmp/tomcat8-tomcat8-tmp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start
geo      23162  0.0  0.0   4508   756 pts/1    S+   15:18   0:00 /bin/sh -c ps aux | grep java
geo      23164  0.0  0.0  21296  1016 pts/1    S+   15:18   0:00 grep java

Also after refreshing the browser, geonode-project (http://localhost:8000) and geoserver (http://localhost:8080/geoserver), both sites keep running.

Why I can not stop geonode-project and geoserver through paver? Also when I ran DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE=my_geonode.settings paver start for the first time a warning message says that port 8080 has been already used and indeed it is being used by geoserver in geonode production as mentioned above.

I appreciated your time and help.

Kind regards

Julierme

[...]

Hey Julierme,

long story short answer ;)
django runserver normally opens  port 8000 jetty with 8080 I think.
anyway I always leave this as it is.

In production I normally have a frontend server apache or nginx
listening on port 80. This proxies requests to python/django and requests to /geoserver
to f.e. localhost:8080/geoserver.
So in production port 80 for geonode and 8080 for tomcat.

Am 16.05.2018 um 20:32 schrieb Julierme Pinheiro <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Hi Toni Schonbuchner,

Thank you for the updates.
I did a test here: I stopped tomcat8 and I finally got to run paver stop and to kill geonode-project.

Thank you very much for your time.

I appreciated it.

Kind regards

Julierme