Re: [GeoNode-users] Marine Spatial Planning and Marine Spatial Data Infrastructures

Re: [GeoNode-users] Marine Spatial Planning and Marine Spatial Data Infrastructures

TC Haddad

Hi  Julierme

Regarding visualisation, a similar question was asked in the MapServer community a few years ago, and some useful information was shared there [1].

Among the most helpful:

Tool for importing s-57 data into PostGIS (also includes large directory of symbols)

Open Chart Plotter symbols

best,
Tanya

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 2:19 PM 1520 gis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear users and developers,

I wonder if there is any task / feature to be implemented in GeoNode regarding the visualization and sharing of IHO S-57/S100 geospatial data. I am working on two projects related to MSDI and MSP that require access to IHO S-57/ S-100 Standards.

Looking at GeoServer website, I do not see any S-57/S-100 vector and output format.

Are S-57/S-100 data visualization and sharing, carrying IHO Standards for symbols, on the list of future tasks to be developed in GeoServer/GeoNode?

What about data layers popups? Is there any plan to include data layers popups over GeoNode?

Does any one have a MSDI/MSP project developed over GeoNode that could share the project URL, so I can have an idea on how far we can reach using opensource tools?

Thank you for your time in advance

I am looking forward to meeting you in Viareggio.

Kind regards

Julierme

Re: [GeoNode-users] Marine Spatial Planning and Marine Spatial Data Infrastructures

Alessio Fabiani-2
Hello,
the problem is the S-57/S-100 is not free, therefore OpenSource projects cannot provide native support for that.

There are several plugins and customizations around, but are not publicly available, as far as I know.

Il giorno gio 30 mag 2019 alle ore 00:50 TC Haddad <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

[...]

==

==
Ing. Alessio Fabiani

@alfa7691
Founder/Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A - 55054  Massarosa (LU) - Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39 331 6233686

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia.

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: [GeoNode-users] Marine Spatial Planning and Marine Spatial Data Infrastructures

xbartolone
Hi Julierme,

I believe the situation is a little bit more complicated, it looks like for instance in GDAL [1] there was partial support, only S-57 which should be then now replaced by S-101 with ISO8211 encoding. The latter was not yet supported though even by GDAL at that time. I don’t know if the situation has been changed in the meanwhile.

Francesco
Il 30 mag 2019, 12:20 +0200, 1520 gis <[hidden email]>, ha scritto:
Hi Alessio and TC Haddad,

Thank you very much for your reply.

As pointed to TC Haddad, NOAA provides ENC freely available in here https://www.charts.noaa.gov/ENCs/ENCsIndv.shtml. The discussion about making ENC (S-57/S-100) freely available has been opened by the stakeholders through the IHO/MSDIWG. As part of the Marine Domain, many entities responsible for Nautical charts production have been interested in publishing ENC Data as part of MSDI and MSP. I think making S-57/S-100 data available through GeoServer/ GeoNode could be a great achievement for displaying and sharing Nautical geospatial information. MSP is an urgent need and supported by UN. And MSDI is a need for all Hydrographic offices. Further, having at least WMS available for s-57/s-100 would help Hydrographic Offices to build their MSDI and MSP.

Kind regards

Julierme

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 5:01 AM Alessio Fabiani <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

juliermeopensourcedeveloper
Yet regarding TC Haddad reply, mapserver has already been supporting S-57 encoding.

Indeed, S-57 / S-100 geoservices are a need for the Marine Domain. Having it through geoserver would help Hydrographic offices to bost MSDI and MSP projects.

Thank you for your time and reply.

Kind regards

Julierme

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 7:19 AM 1520 gis <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Simone Giannecchini
Dear Julierme,
quick feedback, we can talk at the Summit.

We have a custom geoserver datastore that uses CMAP library behind the
scenes for ENC rendering.
Supporting s57 would be a significative effort (because of the
rendering also) and s100 is still a bit of a mistery to me.

Obviously if someone steps up with enough money, anything is possible.

Regards,
Simone Giannecchini
==
Visit http://bit.ly/gs-services for more information.
==
Ing. Simone Giannecchini
@simogeo
Founder/Director

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39  333 8128928

[...]

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 12:47 PM 1520 gis
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>>> This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: [GeoNode-users] Marine Spatial Planning and Marine Spatial Data Infrastructures

Just some more few notes, S-100 is a new version for S-57 data model. I think the Hydrographic Offices will have a period of time to move from S-57 to S-100. Inspired in our geoportal for sharing deforestation geospatial data http://iamgeo.com.br, our office is starting a new GeoNode based project to gather some nautical geospatial data layers in order to build Brazilian Marine Spatial Planning. To embrace this project, I need to have some ENC charts as data layers in GeoNode. I need to upload the ENC carrying the charts symbols standardized according to IHO specifications.

Kind regards

Julierme

On Fri, 31 May 2019 at 12:06 1520 gis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Simone and Francesco,

Thank you very much for the insights.

Kind regards

Julierme