Re: [GeoNetwork-users] Z39.50 support removal .. [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Re: [GeoNetwork-users] Z39.50 support removal .. [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

kater2
Hi Francois,

Apologies for the delay in replying.

We're very keen to see SRU retained.
I believe that  SRU is used operationally, as part of the WMO WIS processes.
We also use SRU for other activities, within the Australian Bureau of Meteorology, because SRU offers fine-grained searching options, and is used across a very broad community (of catalogues).

Kate

Re: [GeoNetwork-users] Z39.50 support removal .. [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Francois Prunayre
Dear Kate, thanks for the feedback! Some questions inline

I'm not aware of all the details of WMO WIS, but I think they made their own fork of GeoNetwork and use it for GISC ? http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/WIS/GISCs.html Those nodes are harvesting "standard" GeoNetwork using SRU ?

We also use SRU for other activities, within the Australian Bureau of Meteorology, because SRU offers fine-grained searching options, and is used across a very broad community (of catalogues).

GeoNetwork Z39.50 harvester is not using SRU, so we can probably remove them safely (maybe it was added in WMO nodes ?). So we've to check with Simon if we can drop Z39.50 without removing SRU.

Cheers.

Francois

Kate

> We would like to know if there is any interests on keeping Z39.50
> support in GeoNetwork ? Future version may contains major changes in
> the search engine of the project and some features like Z39.50 make
> thoses changes much harder to implement. For this reason, we're
> thinking of removing old interfaces and Z39.50 is one of those.
>
> The removal of Z39.50 consist of:
> * Remove Z39.50 server component
> * Remove Z39.50 SRU support
> * Remove Z39.50 harvesters.
>
> Let us know your opinion and, if you want to keep it, if you've any
> resources to help maintaining it.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Francois

Re: [GeoNetwork-users] Z39.50 support removal .. [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Francois Prunayre
Hi,

reworked version of the pull request

Any review welcome (I'm not really sure how to test the SRU part).

Francois

Dear Kate, thanks for the feedback! Some questions inline

Hi Francois,

Apologies for the delay in replying.

We're very keen to see SRU retained.
I believe that  SRU is used operationally, as part of the WMO WIS processes.

I'm not aware of all the details of WMO WIS, but I think they made their own fork of GeoNetwork and use it for GISC ? http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/WIS/GISCs.html Those nodes are harvesting "standard" GeoNetwork using SRU ?

We also use SRU for other activities, within the Australian Bureau of Meteorology, because SRU offers fine-grained searching options, and is used across a very broad community (of catalogues).

GeoNetwork Z39.50 harvester is not using SRU, so we can probably remove them safely (maybe it was added in WMO nodes ?). So we've to check with Simon if we can drop Z39.50 without removing SRU.

Cheers.

Francois

Kate

> We would like to know if there is any interests on keeping Z39.50
> support in GeoNetwork ? Future version may contains major changes in
> the search engine of the project and some features like Z39.50 make
> thoses changes much harder to implement. For this reason, we're
> thinking of removing old interfaces and Z39.50 is one of those.
>
> The removal of Z39.50 consist of:
> * Remove Z39.50 server component
> * Remove Z39.50 SRU support
> * Remove Z39.50 harvesters.
>
> Let us know your opinion and, if you want to keep it, if you've any
> resources to help maintaining it.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Francois

Re: [GeoNetwork-users] Z39.50 support removal .. [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Kralidis, Tom (EC)
+1 to removing z39.50 and keeping SRU (and OAI-PMH for that matter) for WMO WIS requirements.

If folks are interested I could supply sample SRU requests to help enhance the test suite.

> We would like to know if there is any interests on keeping Z39.50
> support in GeoNetwork ? Future version may contains major changes in
> the search engine of the project and some features like Z39.50 make
> thoses changes much harder to implement. For this reason, we're
> thinking of removing old interfaces and Z39.50 is one of those.
>
> The removal of Z39.50 consist of:
> * Remove Z39.50 server component
> * Remove Z39.50 SRU support
> * Remove Z39.50 harvesters.
>
> Let us know your opinion and, if you want to keep it, if you've any
> resources to help maintaining it.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Francois

Re: [GeoNetwork-users] Z39.50 support removal .. [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

SimonPigot

Hi Francois,

Have SRU in 2.10.x working here. I'll take a look at it shortly.

Cheers,
Simon