Re: GeoLexicon (OSGeo Glossary) pilot kicking off

Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GeoLexicon (OSGeo Glossary) pilot kicking off

Cameron Shorter
Hey Scott,
I'm not sure if you've been CCed on any of the developments around the GeoLexicon project that we are kicking off?

As you can see from the participants in the manifesto linked in the thread below, Rob, Reese and Ron are already involved.
Beyond their contributions, I think the OGC could really help by lending your name to the project, and inviting OGC member organisations to stand up their own glossaries as part of the pilot.
This could potentially start with a blog post that one of our tech writers (CCed) could pull together, based on our project manifesto.

What do you think?

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 at 07:11, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi OSGeo folks,
A bunch of communities are coming together to address cross-domain management of glossaries in a pilot running August - December 2020. In particular, we will be building an OSGeo Glossary, as well as custom glossaries for any OSGeo project that wants one and is prepared to help select and define your term list.


I'd like to introduce you to Ankita, Alyssa, and Naini who are tech writers who've volunteered to define and document our processes and glossaries. You'll likely be hearing from them over the next month or two.

Primary communication will be on this email list: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/lexicon
(Check your spam for your confirmation email when subscribing - gmail seems to have picked out "lexicon" as a problem word.) We will likely set up a slack channel as well.

If you'd like to join our kickoff meeting, please vote for your preferred timeslot at:
https://doodle.com/poll/6uwxyngtse4rzxsk (Week of 23-29 August). (We might need two timeslots)

Communities involved:
* Tech writing
* Data modelling
* OSGeo
* OGC
* ISO

Hope you'll join us,

--
Cameron Shorter
Technical Writer, Google




--
Cameron Shorter
Technical Writer, Google



_______________________________________________
Standards mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/standards
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GeoLexicon (OSGeo Glossary) pilot kicking off

Rob Atkinson-4
Thanks Cameron

Scott - I think we need to spend some time mapping out how "glossaries" interact with specifications - and make sure we start off with linking specification writing processes into terminology management - both as a consumer and producer.

for the broader community, OGC is looking to leverage OAS (Swagger) self-documentation capabilities - but at this stage we dont have a specific project looking at how to link terminology and API and specification processes together optimally, and if there are folk out there who feel willing able and/or expert enough to comment on this any input would be appreciated, and IMHO a best practice should be a key output of this documentation project


Rob Atkinson
Senior Research Engineer | Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)

Mobile: 61-419-202-973
[hidden email] | ogc.org

Sign up for OGC News







On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 12:14 PM Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Scott,
I'm not sure if you've been CCed on any of the developments around the GeoLexicon project that we are kicking off?

As you can see from the participants in the manifesto linked in the thread below, Rob, Reese and Ron are already involved.
Beyond their contributions, I think the OGC could really help by lending your name to the project, and inviting OGC member organisations to stand up their own glossaries as part of the pilot.
This could potentially start with a blog post that one of our tech writers (CCed) could pull together, based on our project manifesto.

What do you think?

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 at 07:11, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi OSGeo folks,
A bunch of communities are coming together to address cross-domain management of glossaries in a pilot running August - December 2020. In particular, we will be building an OSGeo Glossary, as well as custom glossaries for any OSGeo project that wants one and is prepared to help select and define your term list.


I'd like to introduce you to Ankita, Alyssa, and Naini who are tech writers who've volunteered to define and document our processes and glossaries. You'll likely be hearing from them over the next month or two.

Primary communication will be on this email list: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/lexicon
(Check your spam for your confirmation email when subscribing - gmail seems to have picked out "lexicon" as a problem word.) We will likely set up a slack channel as well.

If you'd like to join our kickoff meeting, please vote for your preferred timeslot at:
https://doodle.com/poll/6uwxyngtse4rzxsk (Week of 23-29 August). (We might need two timeslots)

Communities involved:
* Tech writing
* Data modelling
* OSGeo
* OGC
* ISO

Hope you'll join us,

--
Cameron Shorter
Technical Writer, Google




--
Cameron Shorter
Technical Writer, Google




_______________________________________________
Standards mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/standards
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GeoLexicon (OSGeo Glossary) pilot kicking off

Carl Reed-2
Nice idea!

However, just to follow up on what Rob said. How does one know if an OGC standard is defining a term or not? There is a terms and definitions section. According to recent OAB guidance, these should be normative T&Ds for that particular standard. That is all well and good but - unfortunately - terms do get defined in the body of the standard including in informative clauses. I am not sure how any app could identify these "dangling" terms.

Cheers

Carl

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 9:22 PM Rob Atkinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Cameron

Scott - I think we need to spend some time mapping out how "glossaries" interact with specifications - and make sure we start off with linking specification writing processes into terminology management - both as a consumer and producer.

for the broader community, OGC is looking to leverage OAS (Swagger) self-documentation capabilities - but at this stage we dont have a specific project looking at how to link terminology and API and specification processes together optimally, and if there are folk out there who feel willing able and/or expert enough to comment on this any input would be appreciated, and IMHO a best practice should be a key output of this documentation project


Rob Atkinson
Senior Research Engineer | Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)

Mobile: 61-419-202-973
[hidden email] | ogc.org

Sign up for OGC News







On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 12:14 PM Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Scott,
I'm not sure if you've been CCed on any of the developments around the GeoLexicon project that we are kicking off?

As you can see from the participants in the manifesto linked in the thread below, Rob, Reese and Ron are already involved.
Beyond their contributions, I think the OGC could really help by lending your name to the project, and inviting OGC member organisations to stand up their own glossaries as part of the pilot.
This could potentially start with a blog post that one of our tech writers (CCed) could pull together, based on our project manifesto.

What do you think?

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 at 07:11, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi OSGeo folks,
A bunch of communities are coming together to address cross-domain management of glossaries in a pilot running August - December 2020. In particular, we will be building an OSGeo Glossary, as well as custom glossaries for any OSGeo project that wants one and is prepared to help select and define your term list.


I'd like to introduce you to Ankita, Alyssa, and Naini who are tech writers who've volunteered to define and document our processes and glossaries. You'll likely be hearing from them over the next month or two.

Primary communication will be on this email list: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/lexicon
(Check your spam for your confirmation email when subscribing - gmail seems to have picked out "lexicon" as a problem word.) We will likely set up a slack channel as well.

If you'd like to join our kickoff meeting, please vote for your preferred timeslot at:
https://doodle.com/poll/6uwxyngtse4rzxsk (Week of 23-29 August). (We might need two timeslots)

Communities involved:
* Tech writing
* Data modelling
* OSGeo
* OGC
* ISO

Hope you'll join us,

--
Cameron Shorter
Technical Writer, Google




--
Cameron Shorter
Technical Writer, Google



_______________________________________________
Standards mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/standards


--
Carl Reed, PhD
Carl Reed and Associates

Mobile: 970-402-0284

“Our liberty depends on the freedom of the press, and that cannot be limited without being lost.”

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend"

— Thomas Jefferson, U.S. Founding Father


_______________________________________________
Standards mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/standards