Re: [GRASS-user] V.extrude... confused

Jachym Cepicky
Hi,

strange, I just tried out under Linux, works fine :-/ The vector map you
want to produce seems to be created anyway.

Maybe adding

G_percent(nelements, nelements, 1);

at the end of the module would help?

Jachym

Sampson, David píše v Út 12. 02. 2008 v 15:57 -0500:

> Hey folks.
>
> I want to make a 3d map of canada where each province is extruded base
> don certain values.  My provinces shape looked like it was being
> hassled so I thought ok, keep it simple.
>
> 1. created a small shape in the digitizer
> 2. v.extrude the vector with a single element
> 3. used 30 as my height
>
> v.extrude input=Ontario@sampson output=Ontario3D zshift=0 height=30
> type=point,line,boundary,area layer=1
>
> And it just hangs (output bellow).
>
> The green bar does not complete.
>
> I am using wingrass 6.3 cvs
>
> And as I'm in windows the v.extrude process is still running. When I
> kill the single process the whole GRASS session dies
>

> This is the output:
> -------------------------
> 0 areas built
> 0 isles built
> Attaching islands:
> Attaching centroids:
>
> Topology was built.
> Number of nodes     :   19790
> Number of primitives:   20075
> Number of points    :   0
> Number of lines     :   0
> Number of boundaries:   0
>
> Building topology ...
> Registering lines:    1000   2000   3000
> 4000   5000   6000   7000   8000
> 9000  10000  11000  12000  13000
> 14000  15000  16000  17000  18000
> 19000  20000
>
> 20075 primitives registered
> Building areas:
> Number of centroids :   0
> Number of faces     :   20017
> Number of kernels   :   58
> Number of areas     :   0
> Number of isles     :   0

Re: [GRASS-user] V.extrude... confused

Michael Barton

voice: 480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671

On Feb 13, 2008, at 1:45 PM, Sampson, David wrote:

> Alright,
>
> I am using the cygwin version of GRASS and much better results... The
> function does not hang and it completes nicely.
>
> I guess I was expecting to see a 3D object afterwords. I have to
> turn on
> faces to see anything and still I only see lines.
>
> Do I have to view this in nVIZ?
>
> I used 30 and 300 for the height values but I still see nothing.
>
> Does anyone have more experience using the v.extrude?

AFAIK, you need to use NVIZ to see 2.5/3D.

Michael

Re: Re: [GRASS-user] V.extrude... confused

Markus Neteler
On Feb 13, 2008 10:06 PM, Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2008, at 1:45 PM, Sampson, David wrote:
> > I guess I was expecting to see a 3D object afterwords. I have to
> > turn on faces to see anything and still I only see lines.
> >
> > Do I have to view this in nVIZ?

Yes. In the GRASS monitor you only see (naturally) 2D.

> > I used 30 and 300 for the height values but I still see nothing.
> >
> > Does anyone have more experience using the v.extrude?
>
> AFAIK, you need to use NVIZ to see 2.5/3D.

Yes. For example:
http://grass.osgeo.org/screenshots/vector.php

Markus

Re: Re: [GRASS-user] V.extrude... confused

Moritz Lennert
On 13/02/08 22:31, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2008 10:06 PM, Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Feb 13, 2008, at 1:45 PM, Sampson, David wrote:
>>> I guess I was expecting to see a 3D object afterwords. I have to
>>> turn on faces to see anything and still I only see lines.
>>>
>>> Do I have to view this in nVIZ?
>
> Yes. In the GRASS monitor you only see (naturally) 2D.
>
>>> I used 30 and 300 for the height values but I still see nothing.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have more experience using the v.extrude?
>> AFAIK, you need to use NVIZ to see 2.5/3D.
>
> Yes. For example:
> http://grass.osgeo.org/screenshots/vector.php

Would it be possible to add the recipes for some of these screenshots,
i.e. the entire chain of commands from v.extrude to the final
3D-Display, either to the screenshots page or for one example to the
v.extrude page ?

Moritz

Re: Re: [GRASS-user] V.extrude... confused

Jachym Cepicky
Hi,

some examples are there, only thing, which is missing is link to nviz
manual page.

the entire "chain" consist out of two commands:

v.extrude ... out=buildings
nviz elev=dem vect=buildings

jachym

Moritz Lennert píše v Čt 21. 02. 2008 v 13:39 +0100:

> On 13/02/08 22:31, Markus Neteler wrote:

> > Yes. In the GRASS monitor you only see (naturally) 2D.

> >> AFAIK, you need to use NVIZ to see 2.5/3D.
> >
> > Yes. For example:
> > http://grass.osgeo.org/screenshots/vector.php
>

> Would it be possible to add the recipes for some of these screenshots,
> i.e. the entire chain of commands from v.extrude to the final
> 3D-Display, either to the screenshots page or for one example to the
> v.extrude page ?
>
> Moritz
Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com
GPG: http://www.les-ejk.cz/pgp/jachym_cepicky-gpg.pub

On 21/02/08 13:53, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> some examples are there, only thing, which is missing is link to nviz
> manual page.
>
> the entire "chain" consist out of two commands:
>
> v.extrude ... out=buildings
> nviz elev=dem vect=buildings

Can you just show extruded vectors without a DEM underneath ? I get an
error when I try just nviz vect=ExtrudedMap.

Moritz

RE: Re: [GRASS-user] V.extrude... confused

Eric Patton
>some examples are there, only thing, which is missing is link to nviz
>manual page.

I've added the missing link to main nviz html page in TRUNK and grass63_release branch.

~ Eric.