Re: [GRASS-dev] Re: wx init.sh needs updating

Re: [GRASS-dev] Re: wx init.sh needs updating

Michael Barton
Sounds like this needs to be updated soon. I'm surprised that it doesn't
kick out an error for the native Windows version.

Michael

On 8/7/07 10:07 AM, "William Kyngesburye" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2007, at 12:44 AM, Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> I started messing around with a python replacement for init.sh,
>> just to see
>> what is needed. It is going pretty well, but tedious. Once done (and
>> probably won't work right off) it could be a good opportunity to
>> clean up
>> the start up script for GRASS. Thinking ahead to a time when the
>> same script
>> can start GRASS on all platforms.
>>
>> Michael
>>
> Yeah, I just noticed a another oddity in init.sh related to wx - the
> gui dependency test is still based on X.  While wxpython on other
> 'nix platforms may need X, it doesn't on OSX, and probably not on
> Windows either.  Summarized:
>
> if DISPLAY set (though it may be set but no X is available, at least
> on OSX)
>    test gui dependency - python for wx, wish for tcltk
>    if it fails
>      warn that *wish* doesn't work (oops)
> else
>    no gui possible
>    if a gui is set
>      warn that *X* is not available, and there a gui is not possible
> (oops again)
>
> Instead of testing the gui dependency first, maybe this should test
> the gui setting first:
>
> case GRASS_GUI:
>    tcltk, etc)
>      test X availability
>      or better, ignore DISPLAY and test only wish - if it works, X is
> implied, or whatever graphical base needed (this would take care of
> native tcltk implementations, like Aqua or Windows, not that they
> work well)
>    wx)
>      test python availability (X implied if needed - as long as
> python works)
>

> ...just some thoughts...
>
> -----
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> "We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
> particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
> over. That is my duty."
>
> "Don't you even hate 'em?"
>
> "What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people
> of the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating
> the ____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."
>
> <Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."
>
> - Tarzan, on war

Director of Graduate Studies
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

Re: [GRASS-dev] Re: wx init.sh needs updating

Paul Kelly
On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Michael Barton wrote:

> Sounds like this needs to be updated soon. I'm surprised that it doesn't
> kick out an error for the native Windows version.

init.sh isn't used on native Windows - that's what init.bat is for. Unless
you start GRASS from an Msys shell, when you could use init.sh and indeed
it used to work - I haven't tested it recently though and we've been
concentrating on getting Msys-independent WinGRASS working as well as
possible.

Paul

Re: [GRASS-dev] Re: wx init.sh needs updating

Michael Barton
This has been a very important effort. I'm teaching my graduate spatial
technologies class in the Spring and for the first time, I'll be able to use
GRASS as the primary software for this on all platforms.

Michael

On 9/2/07 4:15 AM, "Paul Kelly" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> Sounds like this needs to be updated soon. I'm surprised that it doesn't
>> kick out an error for the native Windows version.
>
> init.sh isn't used on native Windows - that's what init.bat is for. Unless
> you start GRASS from an Msys shell, when you could use init.sh and indeed
> it used to work - I haven't tested it recently though and we've been
> concentrating on getting Msys-independent WinGRASS working as well as
> possible.
>
> Paul

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity