Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] Good Mojo funds

Alex Leith
Hey John

You're spot on with how much we have in the bank in the Good Mojo program, it's currently at $8,827.82.

I'll think about it today and see if we can come up with something. Perhaps the OSGeo Oceania Board can write up some criteria to enable Hubs to put requests for funding against.

If you really feel strongly about it, John, there's a new list `oceania-board` and you can put some kind of short request with figures together and mail the Board and we can assess it on its own merits.

Cheers,

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 at 00:13, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
There's no need to restrict the use of the fund to travel, and with less than 10 weeks to go, there is not enough time to mobilise a single region wide travel grant program in time for the event.

There are quite a few potential activities that fit under the purposes of the program, I've already mentioned a few. I think hub managers should be encouraged to be creative and act locally.

Re: whether travel should be encouraged, let's not dismiss it as a possibility in some areas. For example, here in WA we are fortunate to have a very low COVID case load, and the WA government is heavily promoting regional travel. Helping someone out with a few bucks for fuel to drive to Perth doesn't present any higher risk than what we're already doing: bringing people together, which is something we don't take lightly. In both cases we'll be guided by health authorities and our own best judgement.

I believe there was something like $8800 in the Good Mojo fund last time I checked. Time is short, and we need lead time to make sure we're making such investments wisely, clearly stating our aims and ensuring we are helping the right people. The sooner we know if it's possible, the more likely it will be to happen.

Thanks

On Tue, 22 Sep 2020, 7:00 pm Alex Leith, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey folks

I think this is a complex topic, because there’s a serious question in my mind about the ethics of encouraging travel in this time of global pandemic.

I wholeheartedly encourage the purpose of the travel grant program, which is to encourage diversity and inclusion, but we do need to think carefully about it.

Financially, there’s funds there and the parent organisation, OSGeo, has been very supportive of our requests for support in the past too.

Plus there’s the implementation of the grants process, so that we can try to be balanced across Oceania, if we do proceed with a program.

I think we should carefully address the question of whether we should be encouraging travel first. And after that, if we choose to proceed, we can talk about how we implement it.

Cheers,

Alex

On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 at 8:10 pm, Jonah Sullivan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for bringing this up John.

I agree, the Good Mojo fund is meant to make the conference more accessible and more representative of our region.

In the past two years 20 people were enabled to attend the conference and side-events:
In 2019, 13 people
In 2018, 7 people

The Good Mojo program is related to the OSGeo Travel Grant Program, which has similar aims: "to facilitate accessibility and diversity at our global and regional FOSS4G events".

I think these traditions should continue, and I'm sure our parent organisation (OSGeo) would endorse this position as well.

I request the OSGeo Oceania board to consider how to use Good Mojo funds to support this event and the broader community.

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 at 17:39, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, I think there are substantial funds left in the Good Mojo fund from the last 2 conferences. The funds were contributed by sponsors & attendees for use in community goodwill activities related to the conference, like travel grants, women's breakfast, childcare, etc.

Can we access these funds for Good Mojo activities at the hub events? I'm thinking of some free registrations, maybe a bit of travel assistance, a breakfast, maybe some extra environmental initiatives, stuff like that.

I guess this is ultimately a question for OSGeo Oceania as the holder of the Good Mojo fund. But I think we're meant to ask Jonah first.

So, Jonah? What do you think?

Cheers
John

Alex Leith
m: 0419189050

--
Alex Leith
m: 0419189050

Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] Good Mojo funds

Martin Tomko

My thoughts would be to facilitate remote participation to those who can demonstrate that they have a sub-par internet connection, on top of some support for any fees levied by local hubs to those that can not afford it.

I think that there is a significant disparity in internet access quality in the region, and sometimes this can be lifted by paying for a better connection. So this sponsorship could help to get a better access to people in regional areas, possibly ( such as reimbousing a month of faster internet, or a sim card).

My 2c,

Martin

Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] Good Mojo funds

John Bryant
I propose that OSGeo Oceania empower the conference committee to use the Good Mojo fund as it sees fit, with minimal criteria: facilitating diversity and inclusion at the conference, and basic financial oversight.

The conference committee can then put specific initiatives in place, by approving specific requests from hubs and taking suggestions from the community.

I think Martin's suggestions are good ones, and the LOC and hubs are best positioned to decide if it's the best way to include people in their local communities.

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 at 07:57, Martin Tomko <[hidden email]> wrote:

My thoughts would be to facilitate remote participation to those who can demonstrate that they have a sub-par internet connection, on top of some support for any fees levied by local hubs to those that can not afford it.

I think that there is a significant disparity in internet access quality in the region, and sometimes this can be lifted by paying for a better connection. So this sponsorship could help to get a better access to people in regional areas, possibly ( such as reimbousing a month of faster internet, or a sim card).

My 2c,

Martin

Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] Good Mojo funds

John Bryant
I asked recently about financial support for hubs. I was told [1]:
I think when it comes to financial management, that this really needs to be
managed by the conference committee as a conference budget concern that is
approved by the Board. Requests to the board from each hub will just get
chaotic.
I'm asking for OSGeo Oceania to give the conference committee the ability to do this.

I see that the budget has only earmarked $1000 out of the $8800 fund for this year's conference, but it's commented "Reduce expenditure as online 2020 conference". As it's no longer an online-only event, I remain hopeful that the full amount will be made available. This is now a large event, with ~10 hubs, and a huge opportunity to make a big impact across our region.

The Good Mojo fund is made up of contributions from people and orgs over the last couple of years, in good faith, with the expectation it would be used to enhance the event's diversity and sustainability. I encourage the board to decide promptly to enable this to happen.

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 at 11:03, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey John

I won't speak for Jonah, who can represent the Conference Committee.

This does have money earmarked for Good Mojo, which you are welcome to put in an application to spend. And, although it hasn't been communicated, there are budget lines for microgrants and community support and outreach, which could be allocated towards conference-related activities. But I'm pretty aware that we live in uncertain times, and I would like our organisation to exist long into the future and I don't think that there's a guarantee that we'll have an in-person conference next year still, which means our expected income may not happen. So I don't want to go spending our whole budget too actively,

Anyhow, your original question is 'can we access Good Mojo funds' and the answer is 'yes', it just needs to be justified.

Cheers,

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 at 11:45, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

adam steer-2
hey folks

Good Mojo funds exist to be spent, they can't be treated like regular OO budget money (we can't raid it if we're running low or use it as a spare account).

I think the only real discussion is 'how to give hubs equitable amounts' and 'is the conference going to help to fill the fund back up?' - which is an LOC and hub level discussion, the board don't need to agonise over it. We set pretty good guidelines in 2018, I think they were enhanced in 2019 (John and Daniel will have the latest news there) - so we have something to say 'this fund needs to be spent on specific actions for increasing inclusivity and breaking barriers'

I think John's questions are fine, I agree that the conference should be able to access the whole Good Mojo fund - if the board needs to do anything here to give the event access to all the Good Mojo fund it should do it fast.

Cheers

Adam