Re: FOSS4G Handbook some additional information

123

Re: FOSS4G Handbook some additional information

stevenfeldman
I have updated the Handbook with all of Astrid’s suggestions and corrected a couple of typos. Feel free to improve even further
______
Steven

> [...]
> * Make sure, that you add enough metadata when you publish your video
>
> There is a video landing page which refers to all videos from the last conferences.
> http://video.foss4g.org
> http://video.foss4g.org/foss4g2016/videos/index.html
>
> The code for the landing page is in OSGeo git. You can request access and build your own landing page.
> https://git.osgeo.org/gogs/foss4g/video.foss4g.org
>

> === TiB ===
> * TiB in Hannover is happy to publish our videos from FOSS4G. Peter Löwe is the contact person.
>

> == Recording & streaming ==
> FOSS4G conference should provide streaming of the talks and recording for later publishing.
> * Streaming enables people that could not come to the conference to join and even discuss on twitter (like Jeff did 2016).
> * Reocrding and publishing helps to spread the knowledge and awareness about OSGeo software
>

> == twitter ==
> * FOSS4G runs the account https://twitter.com/foss4g
> * the account will be passed every year after the conference to the next team
> * use #FOSS4G2017 in your tweets (maybe also #FOSS4G?????????????)
> * tweetdeck can be used to get a better overview about tweets, notifications, retweets... https://tweetdeck.twitter.com/
> * http://buffer.com/ (can be used to define tweets in advance and let them be posted at a defindes time)
> * NodeXL shows you the tweet statistics in a graph https://tweetdeck.twitter.com/
>
> OSGeo-Live
> ----------------
> (At the moment it says Live DVD in the handbook but nothing more... Title should be OSGeo-Live)
>
> == OSGeo-Live ==
> * http://live.osgeo.org
> * There is an OSGeo-Live team that provides every half a year an image of a collection of over 50 software projects and data and tutorials
> * the OSGeo-live team prepares a Version before FOSS4G that can be used at the conference in the workshops, at presentation notebooks & and can be give away to the delegates as bootable USB drives. This is a great opportunity to spread OSGeo software and promote OSGeo!
> * Also the OSGeo-Live team adds OSM data from the region where FOSS4G takes place (live 2016 data from Bonn was added)
> * Also the OSGeo-live team can add your FOSS4G-Logo or material on the image
> * the OSGeo-Live team will help you with USB and image - please contact them on the mailing list
> * Get information about the OSGeo-Live team here https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc
> * Workshops with OSGeo-Live: trainer can refer to  Workshop material here https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/wiki/Live_GIS_Workshop_Install  (there is a link on the desktop of OSGeo-Live which will open the url)
>
> The following changes or additions are for discussion.
>
> Astrid
> --
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Astrid_Emde

Re: FOSS4G Handbook some additional information

Till Adams-3
Hi Steven, @all,

perhaps it's time to do a general review over our Cookbook after it
already has some years of existence on it's back. I can offer to start a
general walk through and pick out single points in order to improve
them. Of course I combine this with the call for participation, so that
a smaller circle of people (from this list) who are willing to jump on
find together. We could have frequent IRC chats about single topics.
If something general changes, we come back to the list and discuss it
here.
As said, just an offer.

Another point:
After the crossing mails from the past days, I would suggest to have a
general discussion about budget, entrance fees, especially lowered
entrance fees for students and/or attendees from developing countries -
but if we do so, we need to include the discussion, whether OSGeo is
willing to give a 100% financial backup to LOC's. Travel granting might
also be an issue to be discussed within this.
For me it looks like at this point various people have different
understandings of global, continental, regional or local FOSS4G's, but
at least for the global conference we need to come to one accepted
solution - also in order to prevent upcoming LOCs from having the same
discussions again and again.

Regards, Till

Am 2016-09-06 18:38, schrieb Steven Feldman:

> [...]
>> * Also the OSGeo-Live team adds OSM data from the region where
>> FOSS4G takes place (live 2016 data from Bonn was added)
>> * Also the OSGeo-live team can add your FOSS4G-Logo or material on
>> the image
>> * the OSGeo-Live team will help you with USB and image - please
>> contact them on the mailing list
>> * Get information about the OSGeo-Live team here
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc
>> * Workshops with OSGeo-Live: trainer can refer to  Workshop material
>> here https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/wiki/Live_GIS_Workshop_Install
>> (there is a link on the desktop of OSGeo-Live which will open the url)
>>
>> The following changes or additions are for discussion.
>>
>> Astrid
>> --
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Astrid_Emde

Re: FOSS4G Handbook some additional information

Till

Great idea to review/rerwrite the Cookbook. Thanks for offering to lead on this. Suggest you make a copy of the page and edit/rewrite that so that we can keep the original for comparison until we approve the new version.

Re the discussion of pricing, grants and guarantees etc - suggest we start a new thread to canvas opinions. I will respond with some thoughts in the next couple of days. The discussion will need to be relatively quick if we want to make any material changes to the 2018 RfP as we need to get that out before the end of September at the very latest.

Cheers
______
Steven

> [...]
>>> * Also the OSGeo-Live team adds OSM data from the region where FOSS4G takes place (live 2016 data from Bonn was added)
>>> * Also the OSGeo-live team can add your FOSS4G-Logo or material on the image
>>> * the OSGeo-Live team will help you with USB and image - please contact them on the mailing list
>>> * Get information about the OSGeo-Live team here https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc
>>> * Workshops with OSGeo-Live: trainer can refer to  Workshop material here https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/wiki/Live_GIS_Workshop_Install  (there is a link on the desktop of OSGeo-Live which will open the url)
>>>
>>> The following changes or additions are for discussion.
>>>
>>> Astrid
>>> --
>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Astrid_Emde

Re: FOSS4G Handbook some additional information

Cameron Shorter
Till, Stephen,

I'm offering to help too.

Stephen, are there any foss4g rfp topics which you would like to see
prioritised and addressed first?

Budget expectations sounds like one, and it sounds like we have a range
of opinions on the matter (which will likely lead to a vote to resolve).

Stephen, I don't think we need to copy cookbook text into a separate
page to edit. Most of the cookbook is still relatively raw, and we have
the wiki history we can refer to.

At the moment, we have been using a convention of new text or comments
in red font, until it is generally agreed.

Re timeslot for IRC, I'm in an inconvenient timezone in Australia. This
time of day has worked for a number of international meetings I attend:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=179&p2=189&p3=224&p4=22&p5=240&p6=196&p7=215

On 8/09/2016 2:05 AM, Steven Feldman wrote:

> Till
>
> Great idea to review/rerwrite the Cookbook. Thanks for offering to lead on this. Suggest you make a copy of the page and edit/rewrite that so that we can keep the original for comparison until we approve the new version.
>
> Re the discussion of pricing, grants and guarantees etc - suggest we start a new thread to canvas opinions. I will respond with some thoughts in the next couple of days. The discussion will need to be relatively quick if we want to make any material changes to the 2018 RfP as we need to get that out before the end of September at the very latest.
>
> Cheers
> ______
> Steven
>

>> On 7 Sep 2016, at 13:14, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Hi Steven, @all,
>>
>> perhaps it's time to do a general review over our Cookbook after it already has some years of existence on it's back. I can offer to start a general walk through and pick out single points in order to improve them. Of course I combine this with the call for participation, so that a smaller circle of people (from this list) who are willing to jump on find together. We could have frequent IRC chats about single topics.
>> If something general changes, we come back to the list and discuss it here.
>> As said, just an offer.
>>

>> Another point:
>> After the crossing mails from the past days, I would suggest to have a general discussion about budget, entrance fees, especially lowered entrance fees for students and/or attendees from developing countries - but if we do so, we need to include the discussion, whether OSGeo is willing to give a 100% financial backup to LOC's. Travel granting might also be an issue to be discussed within this.
>> For me it looks like at this point various people have different understandings of global, continental, regional or local FOSS4G's, but at least for the global conference we need to come to one accepted solution - also in order to prevent upcoming LOCs from having the same discussions again and again.
>>
>> Regards, Till
>>

>> Am 2016-09-06 18:38, schrieb Steven Feldman:
>>> I have updated the Handbook with all of Astrid’s suggestions and
>>> corrected a couple of typos. Feel free to improve even further
>>> ______
>>> Steven

Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254

Re: FOSS4G Handbook some additional information

stevenfeldman
Thanks Cameron for offer of help. If you and Till are happy to edit current wiki page that’s fine with me, I’m probably less fluent in using history etc so happy to be guided by you.

Issues/topics that I think we need to consider in time for the 2018 RfP:

1) Overall financial expectations re surplus and sharing of surplus with OSGeo - possibly setting slightly different expectations for RoW to NA & EU
2) Extent of OSGeo seed finance and guarantee (these are potentially different) and connection to 1) above
3) Guidelines on ticket pricing (or extent that we leave that to LOC’s proposing)
4) Guidelines, if any, on the provision of concessionary rates for certain categories of delegate (e.g. workshop presenters, students, academics, those from lower income countries …). I would suggest that LOC needs to incorporate any concessions that it wishes to offer into its financial model and not expect any great or funding from OSGeo
5) Clarity on ‘travel grant programme’ IMO should be considered same as 4) above
6) Inclusion of Student Awards - IMO should be organised by Geo4All not LOC, funding should come from Geo4All (possibly as part of OSGeo budget process) not part of event budget.
7) A big question for me: “To what extent do we wish to mandate that the basic elements of a FOSS4G remain unchanged? e.g. Codesprint, Workshops, Keynotes, Streams of presentations, Academic Track, Gala Night"

All of the above needs to be included in the RfP so that bidders have clarity on expectations. I think the Cookbook needs to be both a resource for people running a FOSS4G and a useful more detailed reference (almost an appendix) to the RfP docs for bidders to make use of.

Can anyone think of other stuff that we need to discuss and vote on before finalising the RfP and updating the Cookbook?
______
Steven

> [...]
>>> After the crossing mails from the past days, I would suggest to have a general discussion about budget, entrance fees, especially lowered entrance fees for students and/or attendees from developing countries - but if we do so, we need to include the discussion, whether OSGeo is willing to give a 100% financial backup to LOC's. Travel granting might also be an issue to be discussed within this.
>>> For me it looks like at this point various people have different understandings of global, continental, regional or local FOSS4G's, but at least for the global conference we need to come to one accepted solution - also in order to prevent upcoming LOCs from having the same discussions again and again.
>>>
>>> Regards, Till

> Cameron Shorter
> M +61 419 142 254

Re: FOSS4G Handbook some additional information

And one more thing!

8) There is an ongoing theme in several threads about inclusiveness/accessibility which tends to focus on the cost of the conference. We know that travel accommodation and subsistence are a much greater cost than the delegate fees for many people from outside of the region where the conference is being held. At Boston I would guess the cost will be double the delegate fee (i.e. delegate fee will be ca 35% of total cost for a non US attendee).

Should we  make live video streaming and archiving a mandatory/highly desired requirement? This would enable much greater reach to those who can’t afford to come to the event than a travel grants program. Perhaps we could enhance with use of twitter to enable remote viewers of the stream to ask questions via the session chair?
______
Steven

>>> ______
>>> Steven

>> --
>> Cameron Shorter
>> M +61 419 142 254

Re: FOSS4G Handbook some additional information

Cameron Shorter
Steven,

That is quite a long list of controversial questions. How much time do
we have to decide before they are consolidated into the RFP?

I'll be on irc://freenode.net#osgeo in ~ 8 hours for ~ 30 mins happy to
start talking about these how we answer these issues:

--
Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254

Re: FOSS4G Handbook some additional information

stevenfeldman
I can’t join an irc today (or most of next week) - have to leave discussion to others or follow on this list - we need to make some decisions within next 2 weeks if we are going to get the RfP out before end September.

At worst we can leave some of these topics as unclear or undecided as previous years and perhaps consider between LoI and Proposal stages?
______
Steven

> [...]

>>> 6) Inclusion of Student Awards - IMO should be organised by Geo4All not LOC, funding should come from Geo4All (possibly as part of OSGeo budget process) not part of event budget.
>>> 7) A big question for me: “To what extent do we wish to mandate that the basic elements of a FOSS4G remain unchanged? e.g. Codesprint, Workshops, Keynotes, Streams of presentations, Academic Track, Gala Night"
>>>
>>> All of the above needs to be included in the RfP so that bidders have clarity on expectations. I think the Cookbook needs to be both a resource for people running a FOSS4G and a useful more detailed reference (almost an appendix) to the RfP docs for bidders to make use of.
>>>
>>> Can anyone think of other stuff that we need to discuss and vote on before finalising the RfP and updating the Cookbook?

Re: FOSS4G Handbook - Financial expectations

Cameron Shorter
Ok, lets start working through Steven's list one item at a time,
starting a new email thread for each.

Once we have resolution (probably concluding with a vote) we can
finalise it in the foss4g handbook.

On 8/09/2016 9:12 PM, Steven Feldman wrote:
> >1) Overall financial expectations re surplus and sharing of surplus with OSGeo - possibly setting slightly different expectations for RoW to NA & EU

We have draft principles on Finances in the handbook here:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook#Finances

I suggest using this existing text as the basis for guidance. I
personally think it has the right principles in place.
In particular, it is recommending each conference aim to hand over a
fixed percentage of profits as surplus to OSGeo. 85% is suggested.
I prefer this advise over the suggestion that low income countries
retain more profit.

--
Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254

Re: FOSS4G Handbook - Financial expectations

Maria Antonia Brovelli

Dear Cameron
I prefer to take into account the differences among countries. We want to elicit people developing and using open source and we want to walk all together toward this result. Equality often is not the best choice.
Best regards
Maria

Sent from my Samsung device

Ok, lets start working through Steven's list one item at a time,
starting a new email thread for each.

Once we have resolution (probably concluding with a vote) we can
finalise it in the foss4g handbook.

On 8/09/2016 9:12 PM, Steven Feldman wrote:
> >1) Overall financial expectations re surplus and sharing of surplus with OSGeo - possibly setting slightly different expectations for RoW to NA & EU

We have draft principles on Finances in the handbook here:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook#Finances

I suggest using this existing text as the basis for guidance. I
personally think it has the right principles in place.
In particular, it is recommending each conference aim to hand over a
fixed percentage of profits as surplus to OSGeo. 85% is suggested.
I prefer this advise over the suggestion that low income countries
retain more profit.

--
Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254

Re: FOSS4G Handbook - Financial expectations

stevenfeldman
Maria

Nice image, what are you suggesting in terms of the RfP?
______
Steven

On 8 Sep 2016, at 22:03, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

<equity.jpg>

Dear Cameron
I prefer to take into account the differences among countries. We want to elicit people developing and using open source and we want to walk all together toward this result. Equality often is not the best choice.
Best regards
Maria

Sent from my Samsung device

Ok, lets start working through Steven's list one item at a time,
starting a new email thread for each.

Once we have resolution (probably concluding with a vote) we can
finalise it in the foss4g handbook.

On 8/09/2016 9:12 PM, Steven Feldman wrote:
> >1) Overall financial expectations re surplus and sharing of surplus with OSGeo - possibly setting slightly different expectations for RoW to NA & EU

We have draft principles on Finances in the handbook here:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook#Finances

I suggest using this existing text as the basis for guidance. I
personally think it has the right principles in place.
In particular, it is recommending each conference aim to hand over a
fixed percentage of profits as surplus to OSGeo. 85% is suggested.
I prefer this advise over the suggestion that low income countries
retain more profit.

--
Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254

Re: FOSS4G Handbook - Financial expectations

Eli Adam
On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 3:40 PM, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Maria
>
> Nice image, what are you suggesting in terms of the RfP?

This is an important question.

> ______
> Steven
>

> On 8 Sep 2016, at 22:03, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> <equity.jpg>
>
> Dear Cameron
> I prefer to take into account the differences among countries. We want to
> elicit people developing and using open source and we want to walk all
> together toward this result. Equality often is not the best choice.
> Best regards
> Maria
>

> Sent from my Samsung device

Good approach.

> Once we have resolution (probably concluding with a vote) we can
> finalise it in the foss4g handbook.

And probably the 2018 RFP.

> On 8/09/2016 9:12 PM, Steven Feldman wrote:
>> >1) Overall financial expectations re surplus and sharing of surplus with
>> > OSGeo - possibly setting slightly different expectations for RoW to NA & EU
>
> We have draft principles on Finances in the handbook here:
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook#Finances
>
> I suggest using this existing text as the basis for guidance. I
> personally think it has the right principles in place.

I generally support the existing text.

> In particular, it is recommending each conference aim to hand over a
> fixed percentage of profits as surplus to OSGeo. 85% is suggested.
> I prefer this advise over the suggestion that low income countries
> retain more profit.

I could support a variety of things here.  It gives me an idea for a
different approach and thread.

Eli

> --
> Cameron Shorter
> M +61 419 142 254

Re: FOSS4G Handbook - Financial expectations

Venkatesh Raghavan-2
My Comments inline.

On 9/9/2016 7:40 AM, Steven Feldman wrote:

> Maria
>
> Nice image, what are you suggesting in terms of the RfP? ______
> Steven
>

>> On 8 Sep 2016, at 22:03, Maria Antonia Brovelli
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> <equity.jpg>
>>
>> Dear Cameron I prefer to take into account the differences among
>> countries. We want to elicit people developing and using open
>> source and we want to walk all together toward this result.
>> Equality often is not the best choice. Best regards Maria

+1 for Maria's suggestion.

I would suggest the following;

1) There was some comment on issue of too many people
requesting for free conference passes.
We need to clearly decide a guideline for offering free passes.
Free passes only offered to main Workshop Trainer, Keynote speakers and
student volunteers? Apart from that *no one* gets a free pass.

2) continue the discounted conference fee model for
low-income countries. This model has been successfully
used in FOSS4G-2015

3) Offer Travel support only for participants who are
have their presentation accepted at the FOSS4G conference.

4) Are we considering live streaming in future FOSS4G events?
In that case, request local chapters to organize local "FOSS4GFest"
during the duration of the main FOSS4G Conference and
take advantage of watching the live-streaming along with
the local community members who are unable to physically make it
to the FOSS4G event.

5) Consider recommending LoC to return a minimum fixed amount
of profit to OSGeo. Taking into account, that OSGeo annual
budget for 2015 is $75,000, we could consider having $50K-$60K
returned from the profit to OSGeo foundation when FOSS4G is
organized in high-income countries and $25K-$30K when FOSS4G
is organized in low-income countries (they can retain part of
the profit for organizing events to grow local communities, but
should submit a budget report in subsequent FOSS4G conferences
as to how the profits were used). This will help the foundation to
sustain the "Travel Grant", "Student Award" and "Code Sprint" at
FOSS4G events.

6) If the LoC of FOSS4G event is able to generate more profit
that stated in item 5 above, let them have a say in planning
how such "extra" profit will be used in future.

7) Consider a upper cap on the conference registration fee.
I would suggest $100/day of conference event when organized
in high-income countries. This would be much lower when FOSS4G
is organized in a low-income country

Best

Venka

>> Sent from my Samsung device
>>

>> -------- Original message -------- From: Cameron Shorter
>> <[hidden email]> Date: 08/09/2016 22:53 (GMT+01:00) To:
>> conference <[hidden email]> Subject: Re:
>> [OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G Handbook - Financial expectations
>>
>> Ok, lets start working through Steven's list one item at a time,
>> starting a new email thread for each.
>>
>> Once we have resolution (probably concluding with a vote) we can
>> finalise it in the foss4g handbook.

>> We have draft principles on Finances in the handbook here:
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook#Finances
>> <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook#Finances>
>>
>> I suggest using this existing text as the basis for guidance. I
>> personally think it has the right principles in place. In
>> particular, it is recommending each conference aim to hand over a
>> fixed percentage of profits as surplus to OSGeo. 85% is suggested.
>> I prefer this advise over the suggestion that low income countries
>>  retain more profit.
>>
>> -- Cameron Shorter M +61 419 142 254

Re: FOSS4G Handbook - Financial expectations

Maria Antonia Brovelli
Here my comments

> I would suggest the following;
>
> 1) There was some comment on issue of too many people
> requesting for free conference passes.
> We need to clearly decide a guideline for offering free passes.
> Free passes only offered to main Workshop Trainer, Keynote speakers and
> student volunteers? Apart from that *no one* gets a free pass.

Ok. Good to have an international call for student volunteers.

> 2) continue the discounted conference fee model for
> low-income countries. This model has been successfully
> used in FOSS4G-2015
>
> 3) Offer Travel support only for participants who are
> have their presentation accepted at the FOSS4G conference.

I agree, but I want to ask them to give back something to the conference itself and to OSGeo. Detail reports of the sessions and/or helping in the OSGeo booth or something else that can be useful and give them more responsibility? If you agree on this point please provide other example of activities...

> 4) Are we considering live streaming in future FOSS4G events?
> In that case, request local chapters to organize local "FOSS4GFest"
> during the duration of the main FOSS4G Conference and
> take advantage of watching the live-streaming along with
> the local community members who are unable to physically make it
> to the FOSS4G event.

Ok!

> 5) Consider recommending LoC to return a minimum fixed amount
> of profit to OSGeo. Taking into account, that OSGeo annual
> budget for 2015 is $75,000, we could consider having $50K-$60K
> returned from the profit to OSGeo foundation when FOSS4G is
> organized in high-income countries and $25K-$30K when FOSS4G
> is organized in low-income countries (they can retain part of
> the profit for organizing events to grow local communities, but
> should submit a budget report in subsequent FOSS4G conferences
> as to how the profits were used). This will help the foundation to sustain the "Travel Grant", "Student Award" and "Code Sprint" at
> FOSS4G events.

Yes, I agree. Reports are important to verify the success of funding.
Among award, I suggest also a "Women award" because the presence of ladies at our conferences and in our organization has to be increased.

> 6) If the LoC of FOSS4G event is able to generate more profit
> that stated in item 5 above, let them have a say in planning
> how such "extra" profit will be used in future.

> 7) Consider a upper cap on the conference registration fee.
> I would suggest $100/day of conference event when organized
> in high-income countries. This would be much lower when FOSS4G
> is organized in a low-income country

Ok. My registration was of 100 euro for the three days of conference. I didn't have revenue but if I had requested 100 dollar/day I would have had gained 80 000 $ (400 attendees * 100* 2) . And generally at FOSS4G International there are more than 400 people...

I also asked a small amount of money for the workshops ( 20 euro for registering to every workshop).
Will we suggest a maximum cost also for workshops? In my opinion 50 $ in developed countries ( workshops generally last half day)

> Best
>
> Venka

Ciao!
Maria

>>> Sent from my Samsung device
>>>

>>> -------- Original message -------- From: Cameron Shorter
>>> <[hidden email]> Date: 08/09/2016 22:53 (GMT+01:00) To:
>>> conference <[hidden email]> Subject: Re:
>>> [OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G Handbook - Financial expectations
>>>
>>> Ok, lets start working through Steven's list one item at a time,
>>> starting a new email thread for each.
>>>
>>> Once we have resolution (probably concluding with a vote) we can
>>> finalise it in the foss4g handbook.

>>> We have draft principles on Finances in the handbook here:
>>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook#Finances
>>> <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook#Finances>
>>>
>>> I suggest using this existing text as the basis for guidance. I
>>> personally think it has the right principles in place. In
>>> particular, it is recommending each conference aim to hand over a
>>> fixed percentage of profits as surplus to OSGeo. 85% is suggested.
>>> I prefer this advise over the suggestion that low income countries
>>> retain more profit.
>>>
>>> -- Cameron Shorter M +61 419 142 254

Re: FOSS4G Handbook - Financial expectations

Cameron Shorter
Hi Venka,

Thanks for suggesting specific ideas to implement.

For this email thread, I'd like to focus on your suggestions related to
financial expectations, so we can take it through to resolution. Namely,
your item 5. Defining how profit should be returned to OSGeo.

I suggest it is safer to define budget returned to OSGeo as a percentage
of profit. As profit closely aligns with number of attendees, profit
will be larger for larger events. Europe and US have historically
attracted larger attendance than "Rest of World" and hence will return
larger profit. As such, OSGeo should expect to earn less in "Rest of
World" years.

I thought the RFP defined an expected budget to be returned to OSGeo
under conservative estimates, but I can't find reference to it. (Maybe
someone else can point to it).

For management of special interest programs and sponsorship, I suggest
refer to the email thread "FOSS4G Simplicity" started by Eli Adam,
suggesting the be coordinated outside of the FOSS4G LOC (Like the
academic track).

On 9/09/2016 10:03 AM, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Once we have resolution (probably concluding with a vote) we can
>>> finalise it in the foss4g handbook.

>>> We have draft principles on Finances in the handbook here:
>>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook#Finances
>>> <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook#Finances>
>>>
>>> I suggest using this existing text as the basis for guidance. I
>>> personally think it has the right principles in place. In
>>> particular, it is recommending each conference aim to hand over a
>>> fixed percentage of profits as surplus to OSGeo. 85% is suggested.
>>> I prefer this advise over the suggestion that low income countries
>>>  retain more profit.
>>>
>>> -- Cameron Shorter M +61 419 142 254

>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev

Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254

Re: FOSS4G Handbook - Financial expectations

Maria, Venka

Cameron and Eli have already responded suggesting grant provision should be the responsibility of an OSGeo committee (new or existing) which I fully support. Similarly if we want an awards programme for students, women or any other group that should be run by a team outside of the LOC. We need to make life easier for LOCs not increase the workload on them by running grant and award programs or burden them by asking them to fund grants and concessions when finances are uncertain in the early stage of planning an event.

I want to comment on some of the aspirations regarding prices for delegates and workshops (these comments apply principally to the NA and EU events).

It is not possible to run a 3 day conference for up to 1000 people for $100/day unless we change the model substantially to find free venues and catering (there aren’t many, even universities tend to need to recover cost for such large events) and massively increase sponsorship. The economics of large events with multiple streams, catering, audio visual and heavy wifi requirements are different to smaller events.

Workshops can be run at $100/day (and $50/half day) but it is very tight with hire of space and equipment. There is more scope to get use of ‘computer labs’ donated.

Even if we could make attendance at a FOSS4G free, the cost of travel, accommodation and subsistence would make attendance unaffordable for most from lower income countries.

If we want to be inclusive of people from lower income countries we should focus on streaming the proceedings and encouraging regional communities to host small local events where people can meet and participate remotely in the main event.

______
Steven

> [...]
>> I would suggest $100/day of conference event when organized
>> in high-income countries. This would be much lower when FOSS4G
>> is organized in a low-income country
>
> Ok. My registration was of 100 euro for the three days of conference. I didn't have revenue but if I had requested 100 dollar/day I would have had gained 80 000 $ (400 attendees * 100* 2) . And generally at FOSS4G International there are more than 400 people...
>
> I also asked a small amount of money for the workshops ( 20 euro for registering to every workshop).
> Will we suggest a maximum cost also for workshops? In my opinion 50 $ in developed countries ( workshops generally last half day)
>

>> Best
>>
>> Venka
>
> Ciao!
> Maria

Re: FOSS4G Handbook - Financial expectations

Hi Steven and all,

My comments inline.

On 9/10/2016 12:07 AM, Steven Feldman wrote:

> Maria, Venka
>
> Cameron and Eli have already responded suggesting grant provision
> should be the responsibility of an OSGeo committee (new or existing)
> which I fully support. Similarly if we want an awards programme for
> students, women or any other group that should be run by a team
> outside of the LOC. We need to make life easier for LOCs not increase
> the workload on them by running grant and award programs or burden
> them by asking them to fund grants and concessions when finances are
> uncertain in the early stage of planning an event.

I agree to making things easier and simpler for the LoC.
As suggested earlier [1], the OSGeo Academic Track, OSGeo
Student Award can be handled by the Academic Committee Chair
with the help of the Academic Track Committee. This will
reduce the burden of the LoC.

For FOSS4G-2016 the travel grant were advanced by OSGeo
and this can be continued. Maybe better to have a separate
committee for selecting candidates for Travel Grants or
request the Academic Committee to kindly handle this task
too. I would again suggest that acceptance of presentation
(poster or oral) should be one of the criteria for being
eligible for Travel Grant support.

> I want to comment on some of the aspirations regarding prices for
> delegates and workshops (these comments apply principally to the NA
> and EU events).
>
> It is not possible to run a 3 day conference for up to 1000 people
> for $100/day unless we change the model substantially to find free
> venues and catering (there aren’t many, even universities tend to
> need to recover cost for such large events) and massively increase
> sponsorship. The economics of large events with multiple streams,
> catering, audio visual and heavy wifi requirements are different to
> smaller events.

Adopting a different model atleast when FOSS4G is organized by/in
low-income country is precisely what we should try and achieve.
Having a FOSS4G in a low-income country which is unaffordable
for participants in the region defeats the purpose, I think.

> Workshops can be run at $100/day (and $50/half day) but it is very
> tight with hire of space and equipment. There is more scope to get
> use of ‘computer labs’ donated.
>
> Even if we could make attendance at a FOSS4G free, the cost of
> travel, accommodation and subsistence would make attendance
> unaffordable for most from lower income countries.
>
> If we want to be inclusive of people from lower income countries we
> should focus on streaming the proceedings and encouraging regional
> communities to host small local events where people can meet and
> participate remotely in the main event.

The option of streaming the proceedings could be adopted when
FOSS4G is organized in high-income countries where internet
infrastructure tend to be better.

If/when FOSS4G is organized in low-income countries, the video
recording could be released after the conference. This may not
only encourage more participation form high-income countries
(who wish to see the presentation live and have f2f interaction
with users and developers) but also reduce the burden on LoC
to invest on broadband internet service for video streaming.

Best

Venka

> [...]
>>> would suggest $100/day of conference event when organized in
>>> high-income countries. This would be much lower when FOSS4G is
>>> organized in a low-income country
>>
>> Ok. My registration was of 100 euro for the three days of
>> conference. I didn't have revenue but if I had requested 100
>> dollar/day I would have had gained 80 000 $ (400 attendees * 100*
>> 2) . And generally at FOSS4G International there are more than 400
>> people...
>>
>> I also asked a small amount of money for the workshops ( 20 euro
>> for registering to every workshop). Will we suggest a maximum cost
>> also for workshops? In my opinion 50 $ in developed countries (
>> workshops generally last half day)
>>

>>> Best
>>>
>>> Venka
>>
>> Ciao! Maria

Re: FOSS4G Handbook - Financial expectations

Hi Cameron,

My comments inline.

On 9/9/2016 9:05 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> Hi Venka,
>
> Thanks for suggesting specific ideas to implement.
>
> For this email thread, I'd like to focus on your suggestions related to
> financial expectations, so we can take it through to resolution. Namely,
> your item 5. Defining how profit should be returned to OSGeo.
>
> I suggest it is safer to define budget returned to OSGeo as a percentage
> of profit. As profit closely aligns with number of attendees, profit
> will be larger for larger events. Europe and US have historically
> attracted larger attendance than "Rest of World" and hence will return
> larger profit. As such, OSGeo should expect to earn less in "Rest of
> World" years.

Yes, I agree with above. However "Rest of the World" include only
low-income countries and not high-income countries like Australia,
Japan, Korea etc. FOSS4G Conferences in low-income countries may spend
less (lower venue and food costs) and also earn less compared to events
in Europe and North America.

> I thought the RFP defined an expected budget to be returned to OSGeo
> under conservative estimates, but I can't find reference to it. (Maybe
> someone else can point to it).
>
> For management of special interest programs and sponsorship, I suggest
> refer to the email thread "FOSS4G Simplicity" started by Eli Adam,
> suggesting the be coordinated outside of the FOSS4G LOC (Like the
> academic track).

I agree to making thinks easier and simpler coordinating Academic Track,
Awards, Travel Grants outside the LoC.

Best

Venka

> On 9/09/2016 10:03 AM, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:
>> My Comments inline.
>>
>> On 9/9/2016 7:40 AM, Steven Feldman wrote:
>>> Maria
>>>
>>> Nice image, what are you suggesting in terms of the RfP? ______
>>> Steven

>> +1 for Maria's suggestion.
>>
>> I would suggest the following;
>>
>> 1) There was some comment on issue of too many people
>> requesting for free conference passes.
>> We need to clearly decide a guideline for offering free passes.
>> Free passes only offered to main Workshop Trainer, Keynote speakers and
>> student volunteers? Apart from that *no one* gets a free pass.
>>
>> 2) continue the discounted conference fee model for
>> low-income countries. This model has been successfully
>> used in FOSS4G-2015
>>
>> 3) Offer Travel support only for participants who are
>> have their presentation accepted at the FOSS4G conference.
>>
>> 4) Are we considering live streaming in future FOSS4G events?
>> In that case, request local chapters to organize local "FOSS4GFest"
>> during the duration of the main FOSS4G Conference and
>> take advantage of watching the live-streaming along with
>> the local community members who are unable to physically make it
>> to the FOSS4G event.
>>
>> 5) Consider recommending LoC to return a minimum fixed amount
>> of profit to OSGeo. Taking into account, that OSGeo annual
>> budget for 2015 is $75,000, we could consider having $50K-$60K
>> returned from the profit to OSGeo foundation when FOSS4G is
>> organized in high-income countries and $25K-$30K when FOSS4G
>> is organized in low-income countries (they can retain part of
>> the profit for organizing events to grow local communities, but
>> should submit a budget report in subsequent FOSS4G conferences
>> as to how the profits were used). This will help the foundation to
>> sustain the "Travel Grant", "Student Award" and "Code Sprint" at
>> FOSS4G events.
>>
>> 6) If the LoC of FOSS4G event is able to generate more profit
>> that stated in item 5 above, let them have a say in planning
>> how such "extra" profit will be used in future.
>>
>> 7) Consider a upper cap on the conference registration fee.
>> I would suggest $100/day of conference event when organized
>> in high-income countries. This would be much lower when FOSS4G
>> is organized in a low-income country
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Venka

Re: FOSS4G Handbook - Financial expectations

Cameron Shorter
Hi Venka,

I think that you are on the right track discussing "lower budget" foss4g
conference in "lower income" countries.

While the Global FOSS4G is firstly an international "gathering of the
tribes" and should prioritise needs of the international attendees, we
should recognise that historically over half the attendees come from the
local region. I agree that it makes sense to see what can be done to
help attract local attendees. If that means minimising costs, maybe by
selecting budget venues etc, then a LOC should have the flexibility to
suggest such options. However, selection budget options, should not
translate to reducing the core items which are expected in FOSS4G
conferences.

Warm regards, Cameron