Re: FOSS4G 2021 Buenos Aires BID - Full proposal

12

Re: FOSS4G 2021 Buenos Aires BID - Full proposal

Malena Libman
Dear conference committee,

We are pleased to send you the full proposal to host the FOSS4G International conference in 2021 in Buenos Aires, Argentina: A part of the world which has never seen an international FOSS4G.

Please find attached: the proposal document, and the Anex with the letters of support. The budget will be sent privately.

Cheers

Malena & María

Re: FOSS4G 2021 Buenos Aires BID - Full proposal

Till Adams-3

Dear Maria and Melina,

we grateful received your proposal in time. Thanks for this and good luck for the next stage!

Till

Am 23.11.19 um 00:32 schrieb Malena Libman:
Dear conference committee,

We are pleased to send you the full proposal to host the FOSS4G International conference in 2021 in Buenos Aires, Argentina: A part of the world which has never seen an international FOSS4G.

Please find attached: the proposal document, and the Anex with the letters of support. The budget will be sent privately.

Cheers

Malena & María

FOSS4G 2021 Buenos Aires BID - Full proposal

Till Adams-3

Dear CC!

We have to work! Please read the proposal of the Buenos Aires Team carefully and ask questions until 06th of December, due to our schedule on [1].

It would be great, if we put the questions and answers directly to the WIKI [2].

Can anyone in CC copy the proposal to [3] (I am only on phone for today) and link to them on [1] ?

Regards & habve a nice weekend!

Till

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2021_Bid_Process

[2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Q%26A_Stage_2_Buenos_Aires

[3] https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/rfp/2021/

Am 23.11.19 um 00:32 schrieb Malena Libman:
Dear conference committee,

We are pleased to send you the full proposal to host the FOSS4G International conference in 2021 in Buenos Aires, Argentina: A part of the world which has never seen an international FOSS4G.

Please find attached: the proposal document, and the Anex with the letters of support. The budget will be sent privately.

Cheers

Malena & María

Re: FOSS4G 2021 Buenos Aires BID - Full proposal

Jonathan Moules-4

Thanks Malena,

Questions added to the wiki:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Q%26A_Stage_2_Buenos_Aires

Nice idea on the language thing and the badges.

Cheers,

Jonathan

On 2019-11-23 09:25, Till Adams wrote:
Dear CC!

[...]

 Proposal - English.pdf
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QHuC0MaHF3AH-9ZeXLKQC9mscNyDMMha/view?usp=drive_web>

 Proposal_Annex - English.pdf
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gV-SaYla6ze6CPVvVJWn6buz0swjttv4/view?usp=drive_web>

Re: FOSS4G 2021 Buenos Aires BID - Full proposal

Malena Libman
Dear Jonathan and CC,

Please find the answers to the questions in the Q&A page.

Cheers,

Malena

El sáb., 23 nov. 2019 a las 13:04, Malena Libman (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hi Jonathan,

thank you for your questions.

We are currently working in answering each one conscientiously. Will upload the answers soon.

Cheers

Malena

El sáb., 23 nov. 2019 a las 11:54, Jonathan Moules (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

Thanks Malena,

Questions added to the wiki:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Q%26A_Stage_2_Buenos_Aires

Nice idea on the language thing and the badges.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Re: FOSS4G 2021 Buenos Aires BID - Full proposal

Jonathan Moules-4
Hi Malena,
Thank you for your prompt responses. Apologies, maybe I wasn't clear on
a couple of them, so I've sought to clarify and added three followup
questions to the end.

Thanks,
Jonathan

On 2019-11-23 21:02, Malena Libman wrote:

> Dear Jonathan and CC,
>
> Please find the answers to the questions in the Q&A page.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Malena
>
> El sáb., 23 nov. 2019 a las 13:04, Malena Libman (<[hidden email]>)
> escribió:
>
>> Hi Jonathan,
>>
>> thank you for your questions.
>>
>> We are currently working in answering each one conscientiously. Will
>> upload the answers soon.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Malena
>>
>> El sáb., 23 nov. 2019 a las 11:54, Jonathan Moules (<
>> [hidden email]>) escribió:
>>
>>> Thanks Malena,
>>>
>>> Questions added to the wiki:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Q%26A_Stage_2_Buenos_Aires
>>>
>>> Nice idea on the language thing and the badges.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Jonathan
>>>

>>> On 2019-11-23 09:25, Till Adams wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear CC!
>>>
>>> We have to work! Please read the proposal of the Buenos Aires Team
>>> carefully and ask questions until 06th of December, due to our schedule
>>> on [1].
>>>
>>> It would be great, if we put the questions and answers directly to the
>>> WIKI [2].
>>>

>>> Can anyone in CC copy the proposal to [3] (I am only on phone for today)
>>> and link to them on [1] ?
>>>
>>> Regards & habve a nice weekend!
>>>
>>> Till
>>>

>>> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2021_Bid_Process
>>>
>>> [2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Q%26A_Stage_2_Buenos_Aires
>>>
>>> [3] https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/rfp/2021/
>>>
>>> Am 23.11.19 um 00:32 schrieb Malena Libman:
>>>
>>> Dear conference committee,
>>>
>>> We are pleased to send you the full proposal to host the FOSS4G
>>> International conference in 2021 in Buenos Aires, Argentina: A part of
>>> the world which has never seen an international FOSS4G.
>>>
>>> Please find attached: the proposal document, and the Anex with the
>>> letters of support. The budget will be sent privately.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Malena & María
>>>

>>>   Proposal - English.pdf<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QHuC0MaHF3AH-9ZeXLKQC9mscNyDMMha/view?usp=drive_web> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QHuC0MaHF3AH-9ZeXLKQC9mscNyDMMha/view?usp=drive_web>
>>>
>>>   Proposal_Annex - English.pdf<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gV-SaYla6ze6CPVvVJWn6buz0swjttv4/view?usp=drive_web> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gV-SaYla6ze6CPVvVJWn6buz0swjttv4/view?usp=drive_web>

Re: FOSS4G 2021 Buenos Aires BID - Full proposal

Eli Adam
On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 1:25 AM Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear CC!
>
> We have to work! Please read the proposal of the Buenos Aires Team carefully and ask questions until 06th of December, due to our schedule on [1].
>
> It would be great, if we put the questions and answers directly to the WIKI [2].
>

> Can anyone in CC copy the proposal to [3] (I am only on phone for today) and link to them on [1] ?

I put them here, https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/proposals/2021/
which is more keeping with how the files have been organized in the
past.  https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/changeset/12770/

I linked them to the wiki as well.

Best regards, Eli
        https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/proposals/2021/

> Am 23.11.19 um 00:32 schrieb Malena Libman:
>
> Dear conference committee,
>
> We are pleased to send you the full proposal to host the FOSS4G International conference in 2021 in Buenos Aires, Argentina: A part of the world which has never seen an international FOSS4G.
>
> Please find attached: the proposal document, and the Anex with the letters of support. The budget will be sent privately.
>
> Cheers
>
> Malena & María
>

>  Proposal - English.pdf
>
>  Proposal_Annex - English.pdf

Re: FOSS4G 2021 Buenos Aires BID - Full proposal

stevenfeldman
Malena

Thanks for your great proposal. Lot's of exciting ideas which I welcome. I'd like to focus on the financial stuff (as usual for me!) - also posted at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Q%26A_Stage_2_Buenos_Aires
    • You have asked for a $60k advance from OSGeo, normally we have limited our advance to $40k, can you provide some more detail on why you need a larger advance and the timing of the cash outflows?
    • Are you also seeking any further guarantees or underwriting from OSGeo?
    • If you request an advance from OSGeo the norm is that at least 80% of the surplus from your event is returned to OSGeo, your proposal only returns 30% to OSGeo. This is a substantial change which would need to be approved by the Board if recommended by CC, can you explain why such a low %age should be accepted?
    • Your projected surpluses are on the low side, whilst I appreciate your low ticket prices, I wonder whether you can afford to charge a little more and possibly reduce the early bird discount to a consistent 20% (particularly for what you define as International) as a way of increasing your surplus and providing a safety net?
    • I love the low prices that you are proposing and the option to top up pricing for those who can afford more, perhaps you could phrase this in a slightly different way by quoting higher prices and allowing those who need to self declare for a discount with the lowest price being your current rates? This could work well for corporates who may not respond well to a request to top up but could voluntarily exclude from an "in need" discount.
    • I did not see any explicit mention of video recording or streaming. What are your plans and are they fully costed in your budget?

May the FOSS be with you
______
Steven

Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org

Subscribe to my weekly “Maps in the Wild” newsletter

On 22 Nov 2019, at 23:32, Malena Libman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear conference committee,

We are pleased to send you the full proposal to host the FOSS4G International conference in 2021 in Buenos Aires, Argentina: A part of the world which has never seen an international FOSS4G.

Please find attached: the proposal document, and the Anex with the letters of support. The budget will be sent privately.

Cheers

Malena & María

Re: FOSS4G 2021 Buenos Aires BID - Full proposal

stevenfeldman
Till

Can you share the full budget spreadsheet with the voting members?
______

On 23 Nov 2019, at 09:25, Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Maria and Melina,

we grateful received your proposal in time. Thanks for this and good luck for the next stage!

Till

Am 23.11.19 um 00:32 schrieb Malena Libman:
Dear conference committee,

We are pleased to send you the full proposal to host the FOSS4G International conference in 2021 in Buenos Aires, Argentina: A part of the world which has never seen an international FOSS4G.

Please find attached: the proposal document, and the Anex with the letters of support. The budget will be sent privately.

Cheers

Malena & María

Re: FOSS4G 2021 Buenos Aires BID - Full proposal

Malena Libman
Hi Steven,

Thank you for your questions. Please find the answers to your questions in the Wiki page.

Cheers

Malena

El lun., 25 nov. 2019 a las 11:45, Steven Feldman (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
[...]

Paul Ramsey

Hello All,
Your proposal is very nicely structured and well done!

- Your plan to scale back facilities in the event of shortfall in registrations is wise. A question on that: what are the deadlines for cancellations? How much of the deposit will they retain? Unfortunately you will not have a clear feel for potential attendance until the early bird registration period closes, which can be only a few months before the final date. At some point, the venue will ask for full payment. Do your schedule points for things like early bird line up with your decision points for things like venues?

- If you'll excuse my language, the facility prices you quote seem very "international", that is, they would be not surprising in any other major global city. At the same time, the entry fees seem very low, compared to the general foss4g trend. I see that the A/B and food costs are lower than I would "expect", have those been validated in the marketplace? Generally expensive venues have exclusive catering arrangements with firms that are equally expensive, are you allowed to use your quoted catering in the venues you have chosen?

- How much of your $122K in budgeted sponsorship is "sure" already? That is, have the government corporate sponsors of this proposal made some kind of non-binding statement of interest in sponsorship?

- Not a question, but one way of squaring the "can afford it" pricing problem is an "individual" rate vs a "corporate" rate. The community pgcon.org conference in Ottawa uses this construction.

Thanks again for a great proposal.

Re: FOSS4G 2021 Buenos Aires BID - Full proposal

Malena Libman
Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for your questions, we are working on the answers and will upload them to the wiki.

cheers

Malena

El jue., 28 nov. 2019 a las 19:14, Paul Ramsey (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

[...]

Hi,

Questions and answers posted on the wiki page.

On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 11:34 PM Malena Libman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks so much for your questions, we are working on the answers and will upload them to the wiki.
>
> cheers
>
> Malena
>
> El jue., 28 nov. 2019 a las 19:14, Paul Ramsey (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
>>

>> Hello All,
>> Your proposal is very nicely structured and well done!
>>
>> - Your plan to scale back facilities in the event of shortfall in registrations is wise. A question on that: what are the deadlines for cancellations? How much of the deposit will they retain? Unfortunately you will not have a clear feel for potential attendance until the early bird registration period closes, which can be only a few months before the final date. At some point, the venue will ask for full payment. Do your schedule points for things like early bird line up with your decision points for things like venues?
>>
>> - If you'll excuse my language, the facility prices you quote seem very "international", that is, they would be not surprising in any other major global city. At the same time, the entry fees seem very low, compared to the general foss4g trend. I see that the A/B and food costs are lower than I would "expect", have those been validated in the marketplace? Generally expensive venues have exclusive catering arrangements with firms that are equally expensive, are you allowed to use your quoted catering in the venues you have chosen?
>>
>> - How much of your $122K in budgeted sponsorship is "sure" already? That is, have the government corporate sponsors of this proposal made some kind of non-binding statement of interest in sponsorship?
>>
>> - Not a question, but one way of squaring the "can afford it" pricing problem is an "individual" rate vs a "corporate" rate. The community pgcon.org conference in Ottawa uses this construction.
>>
>> Thanks again for a great proposal.

Re: FOSS4G 2021 Buenos Aires BID - Full proposal

Eli Adam
BALOC,

In the schedule it appears as if the code sprint is essentially the
same time and duration as the conference.  This is further explained
about having mentoring sessions available.

Some projects use the code sprint not only to write code but as high
bandwidth face to face interaction about making project decisions.
Finding a time that everyone can meet from a project during the
sessions could be difficult (many of these people will also be
presenting sessions).

Before eliminating the separate-day code spint, can you poll this
list, https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/tosprint ?

Maybe I've misread this, but it seems that the vast majority of the
conference (workshops, sessions) is taking place at the law school.
Is that correct?  Is the large venue being used for more than Opening,
Closing, AGM, and Lunch?  If the large venue is only being used for
Opening, Closing, AGM, and Lunch, can other venues but explored for
those functions?  Does the Law school have any larger spaces?  It
seems like a large expense and high risk for minimal use.  Maybe I've
misread it.

On the wiki in short form, here,
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Q%26A_Stage_2_Buenos_Aires#Eli_Adam

Thanks, Eli

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 4:21 AM María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Questions and answers posted on the wiki page.
>
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 11:34 PM Malena Libman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > Thanks so much for your questions, we are working on the answers and will upload them to the wiki.
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > Malena
> >
> > El jue., 28 nov. 2019 a las 19:14, Paul Ramsey (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
> >>

> >> Hello All,
> >> Your proposal is very nicely structured and well done!
> >>
> >> - Your plan to scale back facilities in the event of shortfall in registrations is wise. A question on that: what are the deadlines for cancellations? How much of the deposit will they retain? Unfortunately you will not have a clear feel for potential attendance until the early bird registration period closes, which can be only a few months before the final date. At some point, the venue will ask for full payment. Do your schedule points for things like early bird line up with your decision points for things like venues?
> >>
> >> - If you'll excuse my language, the facility prices you quote seem very "international", that is, they would be not surprising in any other major global city. At the same time, the entry fees seem very low, compared to the general foss4g trend. I see that the A/B and food costs are lower than I would "expect", have those been validated in the marketplace? Generally expensive venues have exclusive catering arrangements with firms that are equally expensive, are you allowed to use your quoted catering in the venues you have chosen?
> >>
> >> - How much of your $122K in budgeted sponsorship is "sure" already? That is, have the government corporate sponsors of this proposal made some kind of non-binding statement of interest in sponsorship?
> >>
> >> - Not a question, but one way of squaring the "can afford it" pricing problem is an "individual" rate vs a "corporate" rate. The community pgcon.org conference in Ottawa uses this construction.
> >>
> >> Thanks again for a great proposal.

Re: FOSS4G 2021 Buenos Aires BID - Full proposal

Malena Libman
Hi Eli,

Thank you for your questions, will let you know as soon as we upload the answers

Cheers

Malena

El vie., 29 nov. 2019 a las 14:50, Eli Adam (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
> [...]

> >> - How much of your $122K in budgeted sponsorship is "sure" already? That is, have the government corporate sponsors of this proposal made some kind of non-binding statement of interest in sponsorship?
> >>
> >> - Not a question, but one way of squaring the "can afford it" pricing problem is an "individual" rate vs a "corporate" rate. The community pgcon.org conference in Ottawa uses this construction.
> >>
> >> Thanks again for a great proposal.

Re: FOSS4G 2021 Buenos Aires BID - Full proposal

Dear Eli and CC,

please find the answers to the latest questions in the Wiki.

Cheers

Malena

El vie., 29 nov. 2019 a las 15:15, Malena Libman (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
> [...]

> >> - How much of your $122K in budgeted sponsorship is "sure" already? That is, have the government corporate sponsors of this proposal made some kind of non-binding statement of interest in sponsorship?
> >>
> >> - Not a question, but one way of squaring the "can afford it" pricing problem is an "individual" rate vs a "corporate" rate. The community pgcon.org conference in Ottawa uses this construction.
> >>
> >> Thanks again for a great proposal.

Re: FOSS4G 2021 Buenos Aires BID - Full proposal

michael terner-2

Malena and the BALOC:

(Also posted to the Wiki.)

Excellent, and well thought out proposal. I appreciate your efforts to innovate. Below are a few questions and a couple of comments that refer to the dialog in other question threads.

Due to the fact that sponsorship is such an important part of the budget, ranging from providing 24% to 36% of expected revenues, I have several questions in this area. While the amount of sponsorship revenue you are seeking may be "typical", due to your lower costs the percentage of revenue from sponsorship is higher than typical. Indeed, it is at the “base, break-even scenario” where sponsorship would provide ~36% of revenue. To the sponsorship questions:

  • When you talk about outreach to companies, you state you will “contact local and regional companies. We will start with those that have already sponsored previous FOSS4G events.” Is there any plan for outreach to companies that aren’t “local and regional” and might include international companies? Do you have a sense of how many “local and regional” companies have sponsored “previous FOSS4G events”? Have any of these companies previously sponsored the global conference?
  • Can you elaborate on the “foyer in the CEC” that will be used for the sponsor booths? Will this foyer be connected/adjacent to the main hall and/or eating areas? Such an arrangement can help to create more natural encounters with the sponsor community vs. having to travel to a specific location to find the sponsor exhibits.
  • What are the number of sponsor booths/exhibits you’re expecting to accommodate? Based on the budget spreadsheet it looks like you’re expecting 10 “exhibition stands” from sponsors. The proposal indicates there will also be 10 table top exhibitions for the Silver sponsors. Is it accurate that the exhibit area is expected to accommodate 20 sponsors with a mix of table top exhibits and exhibition stands? Have you spoken to any representative sponsors about their exhibiting expectations? I might observe that some Silver Sponsors - who could be paying $5,000 USD - may have a reasonable expectation of having more than a table-top exhibit.
  • Can you elaborate on how many, if any, “free conferences passes” will be included at each level of sponsorship from Diamond - Supporter?

Non-Sponsorship questions:

  • Can you elaborate on the phrase “82.11 The estimated change for 2021 by the Argentinian Government”? Fully understanding that exchange rates can be very difficult to predict does your budget change (for better/worse) if this exchange rate is not achieved/is exceeded (noting that the current exchange rate is ARS ~$60 = USD $1)?
  • Pleased to learn that you will be using a “Professional Conference Organizer” (also referred to as the “Productora del Evento”) and that you have worked with them previously. Can you elaborate on their role and responsibilities (e.g., will they be doing banking? Contracting? Registration? Audio/visual? Etc.)?

Relevant observations:

Steven relayed that the typical "advance" from OSGeo was $40,000 USD. I can report that Boston received a $70,000 advance, and that we modeled our "ask" on previous conferences. I also know that Dar es Salaam did not seek any advance. So from my vantage, the number has moved around a bit.

As someone whose attendance will likely be funded by a corporation, I would strongly +1 both Steven's and Paul's suggestions that the semantics of registration costs matter a great deal. For me, it would be more difficult to get an expense reimbursement/approval for a "voluntary higher cost contribution" than it would be to simply pay a higher advertised fee. I think both notions of having an advertised market price with multiple options for "need-based discounts" (Steven) and/or a "corporate rate" (Paul) would make sense and would help with revenue, while providing flexibility for need-based discounts.

Congrats on getting the proposal and best of luck!

MT

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 8:23 AM Malena Libman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> >> - How much of your $122K in budgeted sponsorship is "sure" already? That is, have the government corporate sponsors of this proposal made some kind of non-binding statement of interest in sponsorship?
> >>
> >> - Not a question, but one way of squaring the "can afford it" pricing problem is an "individual" rate vs a "corporate" rate. The community pgcon.org conference in Ottawa uses this construction.

Michael Terner
(M) 978-631-6602

Re: FOSS4G 2021 Buenos Aires BID - Full proposal

Malena Libman
Dear Michael,

thank you for your questions and observations!

The BALOC will be responding ASAP.

Cheers

Malena