Re: Drop support for IE in GeoNode 3 (Francesco Bartoli)

Re: Drop support for IE in GeoNode 3 (Francesco Bartoli)

toni_schoenbuchner
Dear Giovanni,

Am 16.05.2020 um 21:00 schrieb [hidden email]:

> One of the things that emerge how hard it is to guarantee the compatibility for Internet Explorer (and similar old browsers).
> We are adopring more and more Web APIs that are widely adopted by Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Edge, but which require polyfill and other hacks to guarantee retro-compatibility.

still I think it's fine to drop support for IE.

Out of interest as Edge now uses Chromium Engine (*) there should't be much differences
anymore? Personally I do run fine by supporting last two browser version (**) for users.

Cheers,

Toni

(*)  https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/12/06/microsoft-edge-making-the-web-better-through-more-open-source-collaboration/
(**) https://browserl.ist/?q=last+2+versions

Re: Drop support for IE in GeoNode 3 (Francesco Bartoli)

G. Allegri
Hi Toni,
so in theory you guarantee also IE10. I think it's fine, in general, but you know the significative amount of additional work that is required in complex projects to support such a long list of browsers. Not only from the development point of view but also for cross browser teating.

I'm not against polyfills, but imho we cannot afford such an effort (for such a small market share)

Giovanni