Re: Dear President [?????]

b.j.kobben
Can someone PLEASE explain these messages? It's hard enough to follow what goes on as a charter member, but if even following all messages on <board> and <discuss> leaves us with apparent huge gaps in what goes on, it becomes impossible...

I understood that Venka was not re-elected, so how can he be asked to be President (together with Helena or not)....?

yours, utterly confused,
--
Barend Köbben

On 02/11/2017, 20:21, "Board on behalf of Jody Garnett" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    I understand Jeff, I have a slight different vision for the board - focused on enabling our participants and committees, rather than asking the board to assume so much activity.

    This is why we have a diverse board, discussion, and reach a direction together.

    --
    Jody Garnett

    On 2 November 2017 at 12:17, Jeff McKenna
    <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Hi all,

    This is a message asking Venka to attend the next meeting, and an idea I have to have both Helena and Venka lead OSGeo.  It is me being kind and respectful, speaking from the heart.  This is not an attack against anyone.  We can of course all decide what is
     best as a Board at the next meeting.  This was meant as a nice kind message to propose a way forward for the foundation.  There have been lots of messages against me, so many negative messages out there archived, I am just trying to share what I have been
     thinking and being very positive.  I think it's ok to talk about the leadership of the foundation openly and in a positive way.  And what a better way than to have an executive board of 4, share the workload (2 presidents and 2 VPs).  I of course have much
     experience in this, and I feel that this idea would be very helpful, the sharing of the work.  I was just being respectful to Venka, his leadership, and all of the great work that Helena has done behind the scenes, and putting an idea out there to help lead
     the foundation.  I think this is a nice way forward for the foundation, I have no other motive.  I am sorry if this message was misinterpreted.  -jeff

    On 2017-11-02 3:05 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

    Dear Venka-sensei,

    Today during the OSGeo Board meeting, Angelos and I vocally proposed you remain as the OSGeo President (to be honest, I proposed a dual presidency of both you and Helena).  I think this is a magical team.

    I formally request that you attend the next OSGeo Board meeting, as the OSGeo President (even if you cannot attend, you will still be the OSGeo President). But I think attending can help.

    I would very much like to see OSGeo's first dual presidency of Helena and you in place.  (let's leave the bylaws aside for a second, and this is me proposing this to you)

    Thank you Venka for your leadership.  (I had suggested this to Helena during the meeting)  Thank you also Helena for your continued great leadership.  You both have my utmost respect.  I thought about this all of last night.

    With all my love, passion, life, energy, heart, career, ability to earn a living, willingness to help others through even the worst attacks and criticisms, willingness to take one for the team, willingness to fall down even in front of thousands, willing to
     just try, I am forever yours OSGeo,

    -Jeff McKenna

    Family.

Re: Dear President [?????]

Angelos Tzotsos
Dear Barend,

As mentioned in my previous e-mail, the new board had a meeting today
and on the agenda was a *discussion* about officer positions and the
board started discussing where we are now and how to move forward.
Many options were discussed (please read the log
http://irclogs.geoapt.com/osgeo/%23osgeo.2017-11-02.log), nothing has
been decided yet.

I am sorry for the confusion caused by this thread, we should have
communicated this better.

Best,
Angelos

On 11/02/2017 10:25 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>
>      I formally request that you attend the next OSGeo Board meeting, as the OSGeo President (even if you cannot attend, you will still be the OSGeo President). But I think attending can help.
>
>      I would very much like to see OSGeo's first dual presidency of Helena and you in place.  (let's leave the bylaws aside for a second, and this is me proposing this to you)
>
>      Thank you Venka for your leadership.  (I had suggested this to Helena during the meeting)  Thank you also Helena for your continued great leadership.  You both have my utmost respect.  I thought about this all of last night.
>
>      With all my love, passion, life, energy, heart, career, ability to earn a living, willingness to help others through even the worst attacks and criticisms, willingness to take one for the team, willingness to fall down even in front of thousands, willing to

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: Dear President [?????]

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Barend,

I take the blame here, it was an idea I had, shared without background
research and explanation.  Many are pointing out that I was very wrong.
I am sorry.  I am trying to propose a way forward for the leadership of
the foundation, openly.  Others are right, the Board will need to decide.

But my words do have meaning, for me, to both Helena and Venka, who I
have the utmost respect for, as leaders.  I believe they can help bring
the leadership needed for the OSGeo community.

-jeff

On 2017-11-02 5:25 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>
>      I formally request that you attend the next OSGeo Board meeting, as the OSGeo President (even if you cannot attend, you will still be the OSGeo President). But I think attending can help.
>
>      I would very much like to see OSGeo's first dual presidency of Helena and you in place.  (let's leave the bylaws aside for a second, and this is me proposing this to you)
>
>      Thank you Venka for your leadership.  (I had suggested this to Helena during the meeting)  Thank you also Helena for your continued great leadership.  You both have my utmost respect.  I thought about this all of last night.
>
>      With all my love, passion, life, energy, heart, career, ability to earn a living, willingness to help others through even the worst attacks and criticisms, willingness to take one for the team, willingness to fall down even in front of thousands, willing to

Re: Dear President [?????]

Vasile Crăciunescu
Dear colleagues of OSGeo board of directors,

As I already mention in on one of my last CRO messages, in our public
communication, logic, facts and careful planing should prevail over our
emotions. Of course, the way we are feeling about open source geospatial
is the driving force of our involvement in OSGeo's board. However, our
public message/image should be a professional one. I don't suggest a
corporate attitude, I would like to just make everyone aware that our
entirely "world" is looking and us, expecting a balanced and
inspirational attitude. We should be careful to be open and inclusive
enough not to offend any flavor of our community members (of course,
those members that are also embrace our values). Somehow, we are not
there, even if it's in our mandate to behave this way. Everyone from the
community already knows that we accepted the director role because we
truly believe in FOSS values and our work and vision was awarded by
being voted in this position. We don't have to to repeat indefinitely
how great we and our ideas/values are (as individuals or as a
community). By doing so we will only dilute our message. We already know
that we are doing the right thing and we should have an well-balanced
message and attitude in order to convince others to join. Also, please
let's focus more on getting back the trust back in our community by
acting in a coherent and professional way (simple words are not enough).
By doing so we will also close the gaps that are currently dividing our
community.

Best,
Vasile

PS. This is not necessarily a response to the current thread. I know
that everyone involved acted in total good will. My original intention
was to send this message through board-priv mailing list. Anyway, I
decided to send this through the public board list as is something not
really related to the current situation/board.

On 11/2/17 10:50 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> [...]
>>      I formally request that you attend the next OSGeo Board meeting,
>> as the OSGeo President (even if you cannot attend, you will still be
>> the OSGeo President). But I think attending can help.
>>      I would very much like to see OSGeo's first dual presidency of
>> Helena and you in place.  (let's leave the bylaws aside for a second,
>> and this is me proposing this to you)
>>      Thank you Venka for your leadership.  (I had suggested this to
>> Helena during the meeting)  Thank you also Helena for your continued
>> great leadership.  You both have my utmost respect.  I thought about
>> this all of last night.
>>      With all my love, passion, life, energy, heart, career, ability
>> to earn a living, willingness to help others through even the worst
>> attacks and criticisms, willingness to take one for the team,
>> willingness to fall down even in front of thousands, willing to

Re: Dear President [?????]

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
Barend,

the Bylaws state that the Board may appoint any natural person as President:
http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/incorporation/bylaws.html

******

ARTICLE V Officers

Section 5.1 Number and Qualifications. The officers of the corporation
shall consist of a Chair of the Board, a President, a Secretary, and a
Treasurer. Officers must be natural persons that the Board of Directors
elects or appoints. Officers need not be Directors of the corporation
and shall hold office at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
Subject to these Bylaws, the Board of Directors may also elect or
appoint one or more additional officers or assistant officers as it may
deem convenient or necessary. Except as provided in these Bylaws, the
Board of Directors shall fix the powers and duties of all officers.

******

Kind regards,
Ben.

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director

Re: Dear President [?????]

jody.garnett
You are of course correct Vasile; I apologize for getting off topic it was inappropriate.

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 4:04 PM Vasile Craciunescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>      I formally request that you attend the next OSGeo Board meeting,
>> as the OSGeo President (even if you cannot attend, you will still be
>> the OSGeo President). But I think attending can help.
>>      I would very much like to see OSGeo's first dual presidency of
>> Helena and you in place.  (let's leave the bylaws aside for a second,
>> and this is me proposing this to you)
>>      Thank you Venka for your leadership.  (I had suggested this to
>> Helena during the meeting)  Thank you also Helena for your continued
>> great leadership.  You both have my utmost respect.  I thought about
>> this all of last night.
>>      With all my love, passion, life, energy, heart, career, ability
>> to earn a living, willingness to help others through even the worst
>> attacks and criticisms, willingness to take one for the team,
>> willingness to fall down even in front of thousands, willing to

Jody Garnett

Re: Dear President [?????]

jody.garnett
I understand, I sent an inappropriate response yesterday (no need to repeat) - I appreciate the reminder to stay focused on being a team player.
On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 8:04 AM Vasile Craciunescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Jody,

It was not about your private message to the board. That was totally fine. I was refering only to our public messages.

Best,
Vasile

Sent from my mobile device

Jody Garnett