Re: Cross hair on mapPane

jody.garnett
The cross hair cursor (actually platform specific) is the curson used to indicate "pan" on a lot of systems; on mac it may be a hand symbol. You can change the default cursor on your control panel in windows if you like.

The MapPane stuff is an example to get you started; you can look into how those tools are defined if you like and change the cursor that is used. As a programming example we have not document MapPane very well; indeed MapPane is "unsupported" and does not have a developer working on it.

You may wish to look at udig or puzzleGIS for desktop GIS systems built around the geotools library.
Jody

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 5:11 AM, nvidia <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi fellow Geotools users,

  i have a question that i would like need answering. when you add the
mappane to the container i.e  container.add(mapPane); // add mappane at the
bottom

and run the app, i see a + cross hair which allows me to drag on the screen
a square or if click, a dot. Would somebody mind telling me the purpose of
this cross hair and why it is there, as i can't seem to find any description
concerning this.

Cheers

Explain please, what I should use in my program instead of MapPane, if I do not want to use uDig, OpenJUMP or other system?
Thanks!

Re: Cross hair on mapPane

jody.garnett
You should jmappane as what it is.  An example of how things can be
done.

You could either use it as a starting point or add functionality as
you see fit. If you find any improvements you would like to make
submit patches via jira - or jump on the devel list and ask if you can
work on it directly.

Jody
On 16/02/2009, at 8:57 PM, Robert Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jody Garnett-2 wrote:
>>
>> The MapPane stuff is an example to get you started; you can look
>> into how
>> those tools are defined if you like and change the cursor that is
>> used. As
>> programming example we have not document MapPane very well; indeed
>> MapPane
>> is "unsupported" and does not have a developer working on it.
>>
>> You may wish to look at udig or puzzleGIS for desktop GIS systems
>> built
>> around the geotools library.
>> Jody
>>
> Hi
> Explain please, what I should use in my program instead of MapPane,
> if I do
> not want to use uDig, OpenJUMP or other system?
> Thanks!

> ---
> ---
> ---
> Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San
> Francisco, CA
> Enterprise
> participation
> -Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source
> code: SFAD
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H

Re: Cross hair on mapPane

mbedward
2009/2/16 Robert Green <[hidden email]>:
> Hi
> Explain please, what I should use in my program instead of MapPane, if I do
> not want to use uDig, OpenJUMP or other system?
> Thanks!

Hi Robert,

I don't think that Jody was advising you against using JMapPane, more
pointing out that you should treat it as a starting point or example
rather than a complete solution.  If you require more than the most
basic display features then, at present, you'll need to add your own
code.

cheers
Michael