Re: [Board] Request to OSGeo for chapter startup financial assistance

Re: [Board] Request to OSGeo for chapter startup financial assistance

jody.garnett
That sounds good John, we should add this to our next board meeting.

Two questions:
- The AUD $5000-6000 do you have a quote or experience with another organization leading to this estimate?
- Is there a good way to handle this? Donation or sponsorship or paying for the accounting/legal services ...

Want to avoid catch-22 where you need to be setup with a bank account for OSGeo to provide financial support to help setup ...

--
Jody Garnett

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 at 00:00, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi OSGeo Board,

OSGeo Oceania already has an item on the next OSGeo board meeting agenda to discuss the formation of an Oceania regional chapter of OSGeo [1]. I'd like to add a request for financial support, and it likely makes sense to bring it up at the same meeting. The details of this request are as follows:

We are in the process of establishing a set of ground rules for how we operate as a community, including:
* how we recruit & retain our membership
* how we run AGMs
* how we replace directors on an ongoing basis
* ultimately, how we can best develop a body that's accountable to an engaged community.

As a regulated entity, we face some complexity with regard to how we conduct ourselves legally and financially, so running through this process will require updates to our constitution and entity registration. We also have a fairly complex tax situation, operating in multiple tax jurisdictions, so we need to do some groundwork to make sure we're doing this right.

We see a clear benefit in engaging professional advice at this stage. Our experience has shown that while a DIY approach is possible, it requires a huge amount of volunteer energy and comes with increased risk of error and re-work. This is a situation with high risk of burnout, and we'd like to avoid it. We estimate in the range of AUD $5000-6000 on not-for-profit organisational and accounting advice, as a one-off expense over the next few months.

We're requesting funding from OSGeo to cover 50% of the cost of this project, ie. USD $2000, and we will cover the rest from other sources.

Thanks!
John Bryant
on behalf of OSGeo Oceania