Re: [Board] Fwd: Official expression of interest forming a European Chapter

Re: [Board] Fwd: Official expression of interest forming a European Chapter

Dirk Frigne-2
Maria

"is a member of a local chapter also a charter
> member of Eu Chapter? Or we will have a complex structure where local
> chapter members can be not Eu charter members but charter members of
> OSGeo as a whole?"

No, as Jody and Lucca already mentioned, this is an organisation of
volunteers. Everybody who wants to volunteer can become a member, but
volunteers can also be 'only' OSGeo members.

The "official" OSGeo-Europe members are responsible to guard the correct
working of the organisation, as a legal structure. 22 volunteers
expressed there interest to become a founding member and have signed the
bylaws that we discussed last year as a google drive document, and
during the BOF of July 19 2017.

As a community we appreciate the help of everybody who wants to promote
Geo free and open source software. Everybody who want's to support the
local chapter can add his name on the wiki [1]. As of today there are
already 27 names on the list. The bylaws have a mechanism to add these
members as "full members" during the next general assembly (a similar
process as for OSGeo.org).

But as Lucca already mentioned: it is more important to be a member of
OSGeo.org, although I hope we can make OSGeo.org stronger trough the
initiative we are setting up.

Once we've got our formal acceptance by the OSGeo Board, we will publish
the bylaws in the Belgian Official Journal and create the legal
structure. We will start to setup the agenda of the typical European
points we want to work on this first year asap after acceptance.

Dirk

PS. I added the European list as I think this discussion also concerns
the European list.

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Europe

--
Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: +32 9 236 60 18
GSM: +32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

@DFrigne
be.linkedin.com/in/frigne

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] Fwd: Official expression of interest forming a European Chapter

Jachym Cepicky
We need roadmap of the organisation. First things first - to be established, then to position our role within osgeo, than to position our status within european bodies (mainly with the EU)

I belive, something like github issues would be good tool, so that tasks wounld not get forgotten and can be picked by volnuteers

or?

st 26. 7. 2017 v 9:36 odesílatel Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]> napsal:
Dear Maxi
Well noted. We'll discuss about that as well. This is a relevant point. Thank you for suggesting solutions.
Are there other comments by other members?
Best regards
Maria

Sent from my Samsung device

--
Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: <a href="tel:+32%209%20236%2060%2018" value="+3292366018" target="_blank">+32 9 236 60 18
GSM: +32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

@DFrigne
be.linkedin.com/in/frigne

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] Fwd: Official expression of interest forming a European Chapter

Till Adams-3

Dear Maxi, @all,

I think this was an issue, we already talked about on the BoF last week: The goal of a OSGeo-Europe is **not** to establish a new hierarchy between the existing european local chapters and OSgeo (world).

I am personally member of a (forming) OSGeo-Europe as me-myself-and-I, not as representant from FOSSGIS board (OSGeo local chapter D-A-CH). Honestly there even was no "order" by FOSSGIS to become a member of OSGeo-EU, the decision to join is 100% based on my own.

I became (founding) member, because I want to bring in my ideas and power into the european local chapter. These ideas are different from my motivation to be in our local FOSSGIS chapter.

This all means for me, that charter/board members of OSgeo or any local chapter are not automatically member of OSGeo-Europe - but everybody (even non-europeans) can become a member.

I agree in the point, that we need synergies to avoid duplication of efforts and adoption of a common action line.

About the rest you wrote in your email I'd like to discuss when we are done and be an official approved local chapter.

Till

--
Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: +32 9 236 60 18
GSM: +32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

@DFrigne
be.linkedin.com/in/frigne

Re: [Board] Fwd: Official expression of interest forming a European Chapter

Dirk Frigne-2
Steven,

Thank you for your reply.
I forwarded the discussion to the eu-list, as I think more people will
read this than the board list. So more people could be involved in the
discussion.

I think you made a good summary of an answer. If OSGeo is involved in a
H2020 project, it could ask for funding to promote open source for Geo
on the different dissimination actions of the project. It also could
provide money to support code sprints and the travel costs involved.

I think the most important element to involve OSGeo in such projects is
to promote the organisation in the European projects, making it visible
and giving it a platform to speak up.

To be the prime contractor is another level I think. And to obtain this
we should have a good team that could run such a project. In this case I
think we should the right people to do this, and of course the money
could come from the project to support this.

But to start with, I proposr to just focus on bringing our name on the
European agenda.

I also think it is more important to act and go forward in stead of
discuss and stand still. If problems arise, they will be discussed, as
we do already more than 10 years.

And by the way, for the H2020 project we are involved in right now is
the prime contractor the Flemish region. So not only businesses,
universities, but also NGO's and public authorities can be part of it.
This is i.m.h.o. a very interesting platform for OSGeo to get involved
in new software projects, and promote the use and creation of (Geo) open
source software.

my2c
Dirk

On 2017-07-26 16:08, Steven Feldman wrote:

> I’m not involved in the thinking on applying for H2020 or any other EU
> opportunities so I am not going to try to answer Maxi’s questions on
> behalf of the prospective chapter.
>
> My thoughts:
>
> I think that we need to be flexible in considering how we would organise
> to respond to an opportunity, it may be a consortium of European OSGeo
> businesses (and universities)  or it may be that there is a case for
> OSGeo Europe actually being the prime contractor. I would expect each
> opportunity to require a different approach.
>
> I don’t see why membership of the European Chapter should be restricted
> to charter members, AFAIK we don’t apply that rule in any of our local
> chapters (we certainly don’t in UK)
>
> We don’t need to have hard and fast rules or to answer every question
> before we get started.
> ______
> Steven
>

>> On 26 Jul 2017, at 14:44, Maria Antonia Brovelli
>>
>> Thanks Steven for your input. Please, can you help also in answering
>> the items pointed out by Maxi?
>> One of the reasons of creating the Eu Chaper is also to apply for Eu
>> calls and therefore the questions seem to me of interest. Maxi is also
>> an enthusiastic chapter member and also his opinion deserves attention.
>> Thanks a lot for helping the Board in considering all the facets and
>> the different points of view.
>> Best regards
>> Maria
>>

>> Sent from my Samsung device

María Arias de Reyna-2

Hi,

I think that we can always facilitate conversation between companies that promote free or open source software when going for an European project. That would be a good push even if osgeo itself is not part of the bid.

On Jul 27, 2017 10:39 AM, "Cameron Shorter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

All,

I think OSGeo and OSGeo-EU should be very careful not to compete commercially or provide commercial favour for one organisation or individual over another. Doing so is fraught with potential for bias, corruption, having vendors buy influence, and accusations of foul play. OSGeo is by design a Not-For-Profit organisation.

We should certainly be promoting Open Source Software, and teaching agencies how to evaluate the value of established and mature projects (as proven by OSGeo incubation process).

We should be helping show agencies how to engage most effectively with Open Source communities, showing the business value that can be gained by giving back, rather than just taking from Open Source communities.

Warm regards, Cameron

On 27/7/17 5:01 pm, Maria Antonia Brovelli wrote:
Thanks Dirk, this gives more information to the board.  Please can you tell us what happens if and when two different teams of people within OSGeo want to answer the same call for an EU project? As we are more or less working on the same topics it will happen (is very probable) that we have 2 proposals which are in competition. Who decide proposal A and not B or proposal A and B?
For sure you already discussed because this can create problems in the community. Do you reach a consensus about that?
Have a good day!
Maria

Sent from my Samsung device

On 2017-07-26 16:08, Steven Feldman wrote:
> I’m not involved in the thinking on applying for H2020 or any other EU
> opportunities so I am not going to try to answer Maxi’s questions on
> behalf of the prospective chapter.
>
> My thoughts:
>
> I think that we need to be flexible in considering how we would organise
> to respond to an opportunity, it may be a consortium of European OSGeo
> businesses (and universities)  or it may be that there is a case for
> OSGeo Europe actually being the prime contractor. I would expect each
> opportunity to require a different approach.
>
> I don’t see why membership of the European Chapter should be restricted
> to charter members, AFAIK we don’t apply that rule in any of our local
> chapters (we certainly don’t in UK)
>
> We don’t need to have hard and fast rules or to answer every question
> before we get started.
> ______
> Steven
>

>> On 26 Jul 2017, at 14:44, Maria Antonia Brovelli
>> <[hidden email] <[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Steven for your input. Please, can you help also in answering
>> the items pointed out by Maxi?
>> One of the reasons of creating the Eu Chaper is also to apply for Eu
>> calls and therefore the questions seem to me of interest. Maxi is also
>> an enthusiastic chapter member and also his opinion deserves attention.
>> Thanks a lot for helping the Board in considering all the facets and
>> the different points of view.
>> Best regards
>> Maria
>>

>> Sent from my Samsung device

Cameron Shorter
M <a href="tel:+61%20419%20142%20254" value="+61419142254" target="_blank">+61 419 142 254

On 2017-07-26 16:08, Steven Feldman wrote:
> I’m not involved in the thinking on applying for H2020 or any other EU
> opportunities so I am not going to try to answer Maxi’s questions on
> behalf of the prospective chapter.
>
> My thoughts:
>
> I think that we need to be flexible in considering how we would organise
> to respond to an opportunity, it may be a consortium of European OSGeo
> businesses (and universities)  or it may be that there is a case for
> OSGeo Europe actually being the prime contractor. I would expect each
> opportunity to require a different approach.
>
> I don’t see why membership of the European Chapter should be restricted
> to charter members, AFAIK we don’t apply that rule in any of our local
> chapters (we certainly don’t in UK)
>
> We don’t need to have hard and fast rules or to answer every question
> before we get started.
> ______
> Steven
>

>> On 26 Jul 2017, at 14:44, Maria Antonia Brovelli
>> <[hidden email] <[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Steven for your input. Please, can you help also in answering
>> the items pointed out by Maxi?
>> One of the reasons of creating the Eu Chaper is also to apply for Eu
>> calls and therefore the questions seem to me of interest. Maxi is also
>> an enthusiastic chapter member and also his opinion deserves attention.
>> Thanks a lot for helping the Board in considering all the facets and
>> the different points of view.
>> Best regards
>> Maria
>>

>> Sent from my Samsung device

running two companies since many years now, I must say, that I do not see any problem here.

Nothing will worsen with an OSGeo-EU, because bidding on the same project might happen day for day among companies, although they might both belong to our community and then step into competition (which is often not a problem at all, as long as everybody keeps being fair and does not dump prices).

If OSGeo-EU is not involved, in my eyes it is not up to OSGeo-EU to mediate in this case, this is up to the people running these companies.

IF OSGeo-EU gets involved in such a call, this must be clearly stated early and mirror the interest of a majority of the OSGeo-EU members.

I agree, we need a process for decision here, that allows to decide without being driven by company interests only. And of course then the consortium must be open for any member to join.

I also agree with Ian, that this OSGeo-EU offers a chance, because with OSGeo-EU we create a platform for better coordination of such issues.

Till

On 2017-07-26 16:08, Steven Feldman wrote:
> I’m not involved in the thinking on applying for H2020 or any other EU
> opportunities so I am not going to try to answer Maxi’s questions on
> behalf of the prospective chapter.
>
> My thoughts:
>
> I think that we need to be flexible in considering how we would organise
> to respond to an opportunity, it may be a consortium of European OSGeo
> businesses (and universities)  or it may be that there is a case for
> OSGeo Europe actually being the prime contractor. I would expect each
> opportunity to require a different approach.
>
> I don’t see why membership of the European Chapter should be restricted
> to charter members, AFAIK we don’t apply that rule in any of our local
> chapters (we certainly don’t in UK)
>
> We don’t need to have hard and fast rules or to answer every question
> before we get started.
> ______
> Steven
>

>> On 26 Jul 2017, at 14:44, Maria Antonia Brovelli
>> <[hidden email] <[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Steven for your input. Please, can you help also in answering
>> the items pointed out by Maxi?
>> One of the reasons of creating the Eu Chaper is also to apply for Eu
>> calls and therefore the questions seem to me of interest. Maxi is also
>> an enthusiastic chapter member and also his opinion deserves attention.
>> Thanks a lot for helping the Board in considering all the facets and
>> the different points of view.
>> Best regards
>> Maria
>>

>> Sent from my Samsung device

Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: <a href="tel:+32%209%20236%2060%2018" value="+3292366018" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">+32 9 236 60 18
GSM: +32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

@DFrigne
be.linkedin.com/in/frigne

Re: [Board] Fwd: Official expression of interest forming a European Chapter

Dirk Frigne-2
Ian,

I personally prefer the second option, if possible.
I even see a third option: If coördination is not requested by the
consortia, OSGeo-Europe can help all the consortia to promote open
source software and help in the dissimination of the results, organising
code sprints or help to create the bridge between the OSGeo community
and the project.

The focus of the participation of OSGeo in such projects should remain
on community building, creating awarness, promote the use and creation
of free and open source software, and if posible ... consolidate the
results in OSGeo projects.

My2c
Dirk

On 2017-07-28 06:33, Ian Turton wrote:

> I can see two possibilities here, both groups bid (as is the case now)
> or osgeo-eu helps the two groups to coordinate their bids to produce a
> better chance of winning.
>
> Ian
>
> On 27 Jul 2017 9:52 p.m., "Maria Antonia Brovelli"
>
>     Thanks Dirk, this gives more information to the board.  Please can
>     you tell us what happens if and when two different teams of people
>     within OSGeo want to answer the same call for an EU project? As we
>     are more or less working on the same topics it will happen (is very
>     probable) that we have 2 proposals which are in competition. Who
>     decide proposal A and not B or proposal A and B?
>     For sure you already discussed because this can create problems in
>     the community. Do you reach a consensus about that?
>     Have a good day!
>     Maria
>

>     Sent from my Samsung device

Yours sincerely,