Re: [Board] FOSS4G Boston 2017 Financial Wrapup

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Board] FOSS4G Boston 2017 Financial Wrapup

Mark Iliffe-2
Michael, Jeff,

I must confess this is something at the top of my mind also - both in terms of ensuring we have a record of the event but also to balance this within our budget. I look forward to the new year and request that the OSGeo board discusses this, not just for 2018, but also for FOSS4Gs going forward.

Many thanks,

Mark

On 23 Dec 2017, at 15:00, Michael Terner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Jeff:
Thanks for the recognition and your thoughts on the videoing.

Indeed, Guido and I were tremendously impressed with how the Chaos Computer Club (CCC) handled the video'ing of FOSS4G Bonn 2016. We reached out to Till and his team to understand the costs they had incurred. After hearing from Till, we concluded that it would have been cost effective to pay for travel from Germany and lodging in Boston and have CCC provide similar video services to us. Guido reached out to CCC and we earnestly pursued that option. Unfortunately, CCC determined, and conveyed to us in a professional manner, that they would be unable to provide services to Boston. So we tried.

Indeed, one of the benefits of having OSGeo involved could be the pursuit of a reliable and consistent approach and a pool of suppliers, like CCC, that might be engaged to help. Indeed, we had to learn everything from the ground up.

Happy holidays to all!

MT

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 10:02 PM, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Michael, Ashley, Guido,

Thank you for such an amazing Christmas present to the foundation!  The whole BLOC should be immensely proud.  And such a financial contribution to OSGeo, truly the whole community thanks you.

I am also very happy to hear of the creation of your new local OSGeo chapter.

Regarding your proposal of OSGeo handling the video records of FOSS4G events, I have also been thinking of this; I agree that streaming, recording, and fast publishing of talks is now mandatory for events.  I have spoken to Volker and others about the streaming and sharing of FOSSGIS event talks (I have for years now been impressed with the group behind that for FOSSGIS).  I believe that group (http://c3voc.de/) handles events, sometimes for free: even if I am wrong on the cost, I think this is one of the possible groups that we could work with for FOSS4G (and get a cost quote if need be).  Talks for FOSSGIS are often archived and posted minutes after each talk.

I agree that OSGeo should now step in and make sure this is handled. Especially with the FOSS4G-Boston financial contribution, I hope we can now consider to set this up for 2018, 2019 and beyond.

Finally, the spirit of FOSS4G is about giving the spotlight to a community and group, planting a seed or just helping things grow; the Boston community took the spotlight and showed the whole geospatial world what innovation and community really is.  Thank you!

Merry Christmas to you and your families Michael, Guido, Ashley, all,

-jeff



On 2017-12-22 11:51 AM, Michael Terner wrote:
Earlier this week we wrapped up the finances of FOSS4G Boston and closed our accounts with our fantastic professional conference organizer (Delaney Meeting & Event Management, DMEM). And with Dar es Salaam's call for papers out there, and the selection of Bucharest for 2019 announced, we felt the time was right to share these results, and one important observation/suggestion. Suffice to say it's the holiday "giving season" we are extremely proud and pleased to be able to give back a substantial financial contribution to OSGeo. Here's what has happened:

  * Earlier this week the OSGeo Treasurer, Michael Smith, confirmed that
    a sum of *$178,132.29* was deposited from DMEM to OSGeo. This sum
    represented the following:
      o 100% repayment of the *$70,000* advance that OSGeo provided the
        Boston Team.
      o A surplus payment of *$108,132.29*
      o In addition, the Boston Team earlier provided OSGeo *$8,241.88*
        via an earlier cash payment and in-kind services provided in
        Boston (for a*total surplus of $116,374.17*)
  * In addition, and as per our original proposal, we have also been
    able to provide appx. $20,000 to endow a local non-profit -
    Technocation - to become a local/regional OSGeo chapter. Our
    Co-Chair, Guido Stein, will direct that non-profit.

We wish Mark and Msilikale as well as Vasile similar luck and success this year, and next.

Last, the Boston Team would like to make a suggestion for use of some of these funds for the Conference Dev and OSGeo Board to consider. Simply put,*we believe that OSGeo should fund the creation of, and distribution of the video record* (and/or any streaming). The video component of the conference was by far the most complicated and difficult part of our experience; and that is certainly part of our delay in posting the videos /which we are still doing/. Indeed, *this week we posted an addition 30 videos for a total of 182* that are now online <http://2017.foss4g.org/post_conference/#slides>. Here is a quick summary of our experience, observations and rationale for this recommendation:

 1. Videoing a conference of this magnitude is a significant endeavor.
    We had 11 rooms running concurrent sessions plus the main plenary
    hall for keynotes. Over 230 sessions needed to be recorded.
 2. Not only do you need to record the videos, but they must be post
    processed/edited and then posted where they can be accessed. We
    grossly under-estimated how much time and attention this takes.
 3. Given the magnitude of the job, the cost is relatively high. Our
    quote for having a third party do it was close to $50,000. It could
    be lower in other locations, but it will still be multiple
    five-figures of expenditure.
 4. Given the cost, and the financial insecurity we had before all
    registrations and sponsors came in, we chose a lower cost "do it
    yourself" approach. This involved buying equipment, and running the
    equipment with volunteers. And it was time consuming and extremely
    stressful, and it has ultimately resulted in the delays in the
    post-processing of the videos.
 5. If we knew the financial success we were to achieve, there is /no
    question/ that we would have chosen to spend the $50,000. And I say
    this as I know - via the 2019 RFP Q&A - that Vasile is considering
    using our approach, and indeed he is welcome to our equipment, which
    will be 2 years old by the time Bucharest comes around.
 6. But here's the rub from the Chair's and LOC's point of view:
      *  From our vantage, our main job was to create an amazing event,
        /in Boston,/ for the people and sponsors who could attend (and
        ultimately paid for the event).
      * The video'ing task was very important, but very secondary to
        making the in-person experience great.
      * We would argue that the video'ing is /more important/ to OSGeo
        than it was to the BLOC itself. OSGeo wants to create the
        permanent record; OSGeo wants to broaden the reach to people who
        couldn't come to Boston. The LOC is more focused on those who
        /could /come; OSGeo is legitimately more interested in those who
        could /not /come to Boston.
      * So, it seems to make sense that OSGeo should /actually pay/ for
        the videoing (or for some portion of the videoing). Something
        like a $30,000 grant to the chosen LOC and dedicated to funding
        videoing would make good sense. This will help relieve stress
        and to help ensure financial success for the LOC while ensuring
        there is high quality videoing occurring and the results are
        posted in a timely fashion.

We would strongly urge the consideration of this proposal as we know that Boston's financial contribution to OSGeo helps to make this increasingly feasible.

All of us thank you for the opportunity to show what the Boston and OSGeo communities could do together. We will be forever grateful for this experience. Happy holidays to all!

Sincerely, MT & the BLOC

-- 
Michael Terner
/Executive Vice President /
Direct: _<a href="tel:617-447-2468" value="+16174472468" target="_blank" class="">617-447-2468 _
Main: _<a href="tel:617-447-2400" value="+16174472400" target="_blank" class="">617-447-2400_

www.AppGeo.com <http://www.appgeo.com/>

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board



-- 
Michael Terner
Executive Vice President 
Direct: 617-447-2468  
Main: 617-447-2400

 


This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy, distribute, disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and material in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo)._______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Board] FOSS4G Boston 2017 Financial Wrapup

Drees, Bastian

Hi everyone,

 

I am very excited to learn that OSGeo is going to set up a video committee. I’ll be happy to help wherever possible.

 

Thank you very much, Michael, for sharing the LOC’s experience with the video production at last year’s FOSS4G in Boston. Great that you managed to put up all the videos. Now, there are basically two possibilities of how to get those videos to the AV-Portal.

 

1.       TIB downloads the videos from vimeo.

2.       LOC provides the videos + metadata via ftp.

 

Pros and cons in short:

1.       Pros: easy procedure with no (or little) work for LOC. Cons: We will not have any metadata or links to related material (slides, project websites, articles, source code) and it will take a while as some basic metadata has to be added manually.

2.       Pros: good metadata and possibility of linking to related material. Cons: more difficult procedure and some work for LOC.

 

However, for the second option the great people of the Chaos Computer Club C3VOC-Team (Andi in particular) have written a small script that automatically extracts the metadata and uploads both metadata and videos to our ftp. Maybe you could easily adapt the script to your system. https://github.com/voc/publishing/tree/feature/tib-upload

 

Just tell me what you would prefer and I will organize all that’s necessary.

 

Have a good weekend,

Bastian

 

Von: Michael Terner [mailto:[hidden email]]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 17. Januar 2018 22:43
An: Astrid Emde (OSGeo); Guido Stein; Ashley Tardif
Cc: OSGeo Board; conference; Mark Iliffe; Drees, Bastian
Betreff: Re: [OSGeo-Conf] [Board] FOSS4G Boston 2017 Financial Wrapup

 

+ Guido, Ashley

 

Hey Astrid:

Sorry for the delayed reply. And, congrats on earning your Board seat! Love to see the new blood on the Board making noise. ;-)

 

YES, we love your idea. And, we love the idea of a longer term partnership with someone like Chaos Computer Club. As I reported on the list in response to a post from Jeff we reached out them after Bonn as we were incredibly impressed with their work. Sadly, they were not up for making the trip across the Atlantic. But perhaps a formal partnership might make that feasible; or they could assist in choosing another like-minded partner. Indeed, technical assistance would be valuable too.

 

As you know from my post, we have strong feelings about this topic and feel like we learned some good lessons that we can share, with the biggest of them all being that Do It Yourself (DIY) is very, very hard; and we learned that what groups like Chaos Club do in making it look easy is not at all easy. So yes, the following are all part of what OSGeo can do to make this work better, and to relieve the LOC of a difficult task that largely benefits OSGeo more than it does the LOC since we're really most focused on making a great conference for those who can attend:

  • Best practices for what's needed to record and/or stream
  • Technical assistance in specifying the work; selecting a partner
  • Direct help in funding a partner/contractor as in many parts of the world, those costs are high
  • And ideally, access to an approved partner like Chaos Club 

Don't hesitate to ask us other questions as we'd be pleased to lend our perspective and lessons learned. Speaking of which, we've started posting those to the Wiki and will continue through the end of the month (nothing on videoing yet).

 

All the best and thanks for taking this on!

 

MT

 

PS: While we finally have completed processing all the "good video" (200+ sessions), which is available here, we are mindful that they're posted in Vimeo, and that we still want to make sure we get them to TIB for permanent archive. Guido will be our point of contact for getting that done.

 

 

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 12:08 PM, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Michael, hello Mark and Msilikale from FOSS4G 2018 and Vasile from FOSS4G 2019,

@michael thanks for your feedback on recording and the suggestion to get OSGeo involved in the video recording.

At our last board meeting in december 2017 when we set up the budget for 2018 we talked about the recording too.

See Meeting notes
* https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2017-12-23#Draft_Budget_Read_through

My action item from this meeting was to answer your mail and start setting up a technical video team to be available to LOC.

The idea is that OSGeo
* helps setting up a longterm support video team that helps FOSS4G LOCs with the big challenge of providing streaming/recording/publishing
* gives financial supports to setup a technical video committee
* also to support the video committee with their expenses for travelling or buying/shipping equipement
* works on a process that can be repeated at every conference

The committee could be similar to the c3voc (https://c3voc.de/) or work together with them and TIB (to publish the videos at TIB AV Portal (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/TIB).

Here ist he new wiki page for this video committee. I will send a mail to OSGeo-Discuss to encourage people to get involved:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Video_Committee

Hope you like the idea.

@Mark and @Msilikale - would you like to try out this idea for Dar es Salaam already? Or do you already have a plan for your recordings?

FOSSGIS 2018 will be in March in Bonn and I hope we can have a meeting with the c3voc team (they do the recording) and Bastian Drees from TIB and some people from OSGeo to discuss the idea.

There is already a chapter about streaming & videos in the conference cookbook (could be updated when the new committee is setup)

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook#Streaming_and_archiving_presentations_and_keynotes

Astrid



Am 2017-12-23 18:46, schrieb Mark Iliffe:

Michael, Jeff,

I must confess this is something at the top of my mind also - both in
terms of ensuring we have a record of the event but also to balance
this within our budget. I look forward to the new year and request
that the OSGeo board discusses this, not just for 2018, but also for
FOSS4Gs going forward.

Many thanks,

Mark

On 23 Dec 2017, at 15:00, Michael Terner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Jeff:
Thanks for the recognition and your thoughts on the videoing.

Indeed, Guido and I were tremendously impressed with how the Chaos
Computer Club (CCC) handled the video'ing of FOSS4G Bonn 2016. We
reached out to Till and his team to understand the costs they had
incurred. After hearing from Till, we concluded that it would have
been cost effective to pay for travel from Germany and lodging in
Boston and have CCC provide similar video services to us. Guido
reached out to CCC and we earnestly pursued that option.
Unfortunately, CCC determined, and conveyed to us in a professional
manner, that they would be unable to provide services to Boston. So
we tried.

Indeed, one of the benefits of having OSGeo involved could be the
pursuit of a reliable and consistent approach and a pool of
suppliers, like CCC, that might be engaged to help. Indeed, we had
to learn everything from the ground up.

Happy holidays to all!

MT

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 10:02 PM, Jeff McKenna
<[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Michael, Ashley, Guido,

Thank you for such an amazing Christmas present to the foundation!
The whole BLOC should be immensely proud.  And such a financial
contribution to OSGeo, truly the whole community thanks you.

I am also very happy to hear of the creation of your new local OSGeo
chapter.

Regarding your proposal of OSGeo handling the video records of
FOSS4G events, I have also been thinking of this; I agree that
streaming, recording, and fast publishing of talks is now mandatory
for events.  I have spoken to Volker and others about the streaming
and sharing of FOSSGIS event talks (I have for years now been
impressed with the group behind that for FOSSGIS).  I believe that
group (http://c3voc.de/) handles events, sometimes for free: even if
I am wrong on the cost, I think this is one of the possible groups
that we could work with for FOSS4G (and get a cost quote if need
be).  Talks for FOSSGIS are often archived and posted minutes after
each talk.

I agree that OSGeo should now step in and make sure this is handled.
Especially with the FOSS4G-Boston financial contribution, I hope we
can now consider to set this up for 2018, 2019 and beyond.

Finally, the spirit of FOSS4G is about giving the spotlight to a
community and group, planting a seed or just helping things grow;
the Boston community took the spotlight and showed the whole
geospatial world what innovation and community really is.  Thank
you!

Merry Christmas to you and your families Michael, Guido, Ashley,
all,

-jeff

On 2017-12-22 11:51 AM, Michael Terner wrote:
Earlier this week we wrapped up the finances of FOSS4G Boston and
closed our accounts with our fantastic professional conference
organizer (Delaney Meeting & Event Management, DMEM). And with Dar
es Salaam's call for papers out there, and the selection of
Bucharest for 2019 announced, we felt the time was right to share
these results, and one important observation/suggestion. Suffice to
say it's the holiday "giving season" we are extremely proud and
pleased to be able to give back a substantial financial contribution
to OSGeo. Here's what has happened:

* Earlier this week the OSGeo Treasurer, Michael Smith, confirmed
that
a sum of *$178,132.29* was deposited from DMEM to OSGeo. This
sum
represented the following:
o 100% repayment of the *$70,000* advance that OSGeo provided
the
Boston Team.
o A surplus payment of *$108,132.29*
o In addition, the Boston Team earlier provided OSGeo
*$8,241.88*
via an earlier cash payment and in-kind services provided in
Boston (for a*total surplus of $116,374.17*)
* In addition, and as per our original proposal, we have also been
able to provide appx. $20,000 to endow a local non-profit -
Technocation - to become a local/regional OSGeo chapter. Our
Co-Chair, Guido Stein, will direct that non-profit.

We wish Mark and Msilikale as well as Vasile similar luck and
success this year, and next.

Last, the Boston Team would like to make a suggestion for use of
some of these funds for the Conference Dev and OSGeo Board to
consider. Simply put,*we believe that OSGeo should fund the creation
of, and distribution of the video record* (and/or any streaming).
The video component of the conference was by far the most
complicated and difficult part of our experience; and that is
certainly part of our delay in posting the videos /which we are
still doing/. Indeed, *this week we posted an addition 30 videos for
a total of 182* that are now online

<http://2017.foss4g.org/post_conference/#slides [1]>. Here is a


quick summary of our experience, observations and rationale for this
recommendation:

1. Videoing a conference of this magnitude is a significant
endeavor.
We had 11 rooms running concurrent sessions plus the main
plenary
hall for keynotes. Over 230 sessions needed to be recorded.
2. Not only do you need to record the videos, but they must be post
processed/edited and then posted where they can be accessed. We
grossly under-estimated how much time and attention this takes.
3. Given the magnitude of the job, the cost is relatively high. Our
quote for having a third party do it was close to $50,000. It
could
be lower in other locations, but it will still be multiple
five-figures of expenditure.
4. Given the cost, and the financial insecurity we had before all
registrations and sponsors came in, we chose a lower cost "do it
yourself" approach. This involved buying equipment, and running
the
equipment with volunteers. And it was time consuming and
extremely
stressful, and it has ultimately resulted in the delays in the
post-processing of the videos.
5. If we knew the financial success we were to achieve, there is
/no
question/ that we would have chosen to spend the $50,000. And I
say
this as I know - via the 2019 RFP Q&A - that Vasile is
considering
using our approach, and indeed he is welcome to our equipment,
which
will be 2 years old by the time Bucharest comes around.
6. But here's the rub from the Chair's and LOC's point of view:
*  From our vantage, our main job was to create an amazing
event,
/in Boston,/ for the people and sponsors who could attend
(and
ultimately paid for the event).
* The video'ing task was very important, but very secondary to
making the in-person experience great.
* We would argue that the video'ing is /more important/ to
OSGeo
than it was to the BLOC itself. OSGeo wants to create the
permanent record; OSGeo wants to broaden the reach to people
who
couldn't come to Boston. The LOC is more focused on those
who
/could /come; OSGeo is legitimately more interested in those
who
could /not /come to Boston.
* So, it seems to make sense that OSGeo should /actually pay/
for
the videoing (or for some portion of the videoing).
Something
like a $30,000 grant to the chosen LOC and dedicated to
funding
videoing would make good sense. This will help relieve
stress
and to help ensure financial success for the LOC while
ensuring
there is high quality videoing occurring and the results are
posted in a timely fashion.

We would strongly urge the consideration of this proposal as we know
that Boston's financial contribution to OSGeo helps to make this
increasingly feasible.

All of us thank you for the opportunity to show what the Boston and
OSGeo communities could do together. We will be forever grateful for
this experience. Happy holidays to all!

Sincerely, MT & the BLOC

--
Michael Terner
/Executive Vice President /

Direct: _<a href="tel:617-447-2468" target="_blank">617-447-2468 [2] _
Main: _<a href="tel:617-447-2400" target="_blank">617-447-2400 [3]_

www.AppGeo.com [4] <http://www.appgeo.com/>

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board [5]


--

Michael Terner

_Executive Vice President _
Direct: <a href="tel:617-447-2468" target="_blank">617-447-2468

Main: <a href="tel:617-447-2400" target="_blank">617-447-2400

www.AppGeo.com [4]

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or
legally privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient
or otherwise authorized to receive this message, you should not use,
copy, distribute, disclose or take any action based on the information
contained in this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this
message and material in error, please advise the sender immediately by
reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied
Geographics, Inc.
(AppGeo)._______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


Links:
------
[1] http://2017.foss4g.org/post_conference/#slides
[2] tel:<a href="tel:617-447-2468" target="_blank">617-447-2468
[3] tel:<a href="tel:617-447-2400" target="_blank">617-447-2400
[4] http://www.appgeo.com/
[5] https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


--
Astrid Emde
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Astrid_Emde



 

--

Michael Terner

Executive Vice President 
Direct: 617-447-2468  

Main: 617-447-2400

 

 Das Bild wurde vom Absender entfernt.

 

Fehler! Es wurde kein Dateiname angegeben.


This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy, distribute, disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and material in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo).


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Board] FOSS4G Boston 2017 Financial Wrapup

Mark Iliffe-2
Hello All,

This is something I wholeheartedly support - especially with regard assistance with the creation of videos at FOSS4G in Dar es Salaam.

Best,

Mark

On 19 Jan 2018, at 10:37, Drees, Bastian <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone,
 
I am very excited to learn that OSGeo is going to set up a video committee. I’ll be happy to help wherever possible.
 
Thank you very much, Michael, for sharing the LOC’s experience with the video production at last year’s FOSS4G in Boston. Great that you managed to put up all the videos. Now, there are basically two possibilities of how to get those videos to the AV-Portal. 
 
1.       TIB downloads the videos from vimeo.
2.       LOC provides the videos + metadata via ftp.
 
Pros and cons in short: 
1.       Pros: easy procedure with no (or little) work for LOC. Cons: We will not have any metadata or links to related material (slides, project websites, articles, source code) and it will take a while as some basic metadata has to be added manually.
2.       Pros: good metadata and possibility of linking to related material. Cons: more difficult procedure and some work for LOC.
 
However, for the second option the great people of the Chaos Computer Club C3VOC-Team (Andi in particular) have written a small script that automatically extracts the metadata and uploads both metadata and videos to our ftp. Maybe you could easily adapt the script to your system. https://github.com/voc/publishing/tree/feature/tib-upload
 
Just tell me what you would prefer and I will organize all that’s necessary.
 
Have a good weekend,
Bastian
 
Von: Michael Terner [[hidden email]] 
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 17. Januar 2018 22:43
An: Astrid Emde (OSGeo); Guido Stein; Ashley Tardif
Cc: OSGeo Board; conference; Mark Iliffe; Drees, Bastian
Betreff: Re: [OSGeo-Conf] [Board] FOSS4G Boston 2017 Financial Wrapup
 
+ Guido, Ashley
 
Hey Astrid:
Sorry for the delayed reply. And, congrats on earning your Board seat! Love to see the new blood on the Board making noise. ;-)
 
YES, we love your idea. And, we love the idea of a longer term partnership with someone like Chaos Computer Club. As I reported on the list in response to a post from Jeff we reached out them after Bonn as we were incredibly impressed with their work. Sadly, they were not up for making the trip across the Atlantic. But perhaps a formal partnership might make that feasible; or they could assist in choosing another like-minded partner. Indeed, technical assistance would be valuable too.
 
As you know from my post, we have strong feelings about this topic and feel like we learned some good lessons that we can share, with the biggest of them all being that Do It Yourself (DIY) is very, very hard; and we learned that what groups like Chaos Club do in making it look easy is not at all easy. So yes, the following are all part of what OSGeo can do to make this work better, and to relieve the LOC of a difficult task that largely benefits OSGeo more than it does the LOC since we're really most focused on making a great conference for those who can attend:
  • Best practices for what's needed to record and/or stream
  • Technical assistance in specifying the work; selecting a partner
  • Direct help in funding a partner/contractor as in many parts of the world, those costs are high
  • And ideally, access to an approved partner like Chaos Club 
Don't hesitate to ask us other questions as we'd be pleased to lend our perspective and lessons learned. Speaking of which, we've started posting those to the Wiki and will continue through the end of the month (nothing on videoing yet).
 
All the best and thanks for taking this on!
 
MT
 
PS: While we finally have completed processing all the "good video" (200+ sessions), which is available here, we are mindful that they're posted in Vimeo, and that we still want to make sure we get them to TIB for permanent archive. Guido will be our point of contact for getting that done.
 
 
On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 12:08 PM, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Michael, hello Mark and Msilikale from FOSS4G 2018 and Vasile from FOSS4G 2019,

@michael thanks for your feedback on recording and the suggestion to get OSGeo involved in the video recording.

At our last board meeting in december 2017 when we set up the budget for 2018 we talked about the recording too.

See Meeting notes
* https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2017-12-23#Draft_Budget_Read_through

My action item from this meeting was to answer your mail and start setting up a technical video team to be available to LOC.

The idea is that OSGeo
* helps setting up a longterm support video team that helps FOSS4G LOCs with the big challenge of providing streaming/recording/publishing
* gives financial supports to setup a technical video committee
* also to support the video committee with their expenses for travelling or buying/shipping equipement
* works on a process that can be repeated at every conference

The committee could be similar to the c3voc (https://c3voc.de/) or work together with them and TIB (to publish the videos at TIB AV Portal (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/TIB).

Here ist he new wiki page for this video committee. I will send a mail to OSGeo-Discuss to encourage people to get involved:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Video_Committee

Hope you like the idea.

@Mark and @Msilikale - would you like to try out this idea for Dar es Salaam already? Or do you already have a plan for your recordings?

FOSSGIS 2018 will be in March in Bonn and I hope we can have a meeting with the c3voc team (they do the recording) and Bastian Drees from TIB and some people from OSGeo to discuss the idea.

There is already a chapter about streaming & videos in the conference cookbook (could be updated when the new committee is setup)

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook#Streaming_and_archiving_presentations_and_keynotes

Astrid


Am 2017-12-23 18:46, schrieb Mark Iliffe:

Michael, Jeff,

I must confess this is something at the top of my mind also - both in
terms of ensuring we have a record of the event but also to balance
this within our budget. I look forward to the new year and request
that the OSGeo board discusses this, not just for 2018, but also for
FOSS4Gs going forward.

Many thanks,

Mark

On 23 Dec 2017, at 15:00, Michael Terner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Jeff:
Thanks for the recognition and your thoughts on the videoing.

Indeed, Guido and I were tremendously impressed with how the Chaos
Computer Club (CCC) handled the video'ing of FOSS4G Bonn 2016. We
reached out to Till and his team to understand the costs they had
incurred. After hearing from Till, we concluded that it would have
been cost effective to pay for travel from Germany and lodging in
Boston and have CCC provide similar video services to us. Guido
reached out to CCC and we earnestly pursued that option.
Unfortunately, CCC determined, and conveyed to us in a professional
manner, that they would be unable to provide services to Boston. So
we tried.

Indeed, one of the benefits of having OSGeo involved could be the
pursuit of a reliable and consistent approach and a pool of
suppliers, like CCC, that might be engaged to help. Indeed, we had
to learn everything from the ground up.

Happy holidays to all!

MT

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 10:02 PM, Jeff McKenna
<[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Michael, Ashley, Guido,

Thank you for such an amazing Christmas present to the foundation!
The whole BLOC should be immensely proud.  And such a financial
contribution to OSGeo, truly the whole community thanks you.

I am also very happy to hear of the creation of your new local OSGeo
chapter.

Regarding your proposal of OSGeo handling the video records of
FOSS4G events, I have also been thinking of this; I agree that
streaming, recording, and fast publishing of talks is now mandatory
for events.  I have spoken to Volker and others about the streaming
and sharing of FOSSGIS event talks (I have for years now been
impressed with the group behind that for FOSSGIS).  I believe that
group (http://c3voc.de/) handles events, sometimes for free: even if
I am wrong on the cost, I think this is one of the possible groups
that we could work with for FOSS4G (and get a cost quote if need
be).  Talks for FOSSGIS are often archived and posted minutes after
each talk.

I agree that OSGeo should now step in and make sure this is handled.
Especially with the FOSS4G-Boston financial contribution, I hope we
can now consider to set this up for 2018, 2019 and beyond.

Finally, the spirit of FOSS4G is about giving the spotlight to a
community and group, planting a seed or just helping things grow;
the Boston community took the spotlight and showed the whole
geospatial world what innovation and community really is.  Thank
you!

Merry Christmas to you and your families Michael, Guido, Ashley,
all,

-jeff

On 2017-12-22 11:51 AM, Michael Terner wrote:
Earlier this week we wrapped up the finances of FOSS4G Boston and
closed our accounts with our fantastic professional conference
organizer (Delaney Meeting & Event Management, DMEM). And with Dar
es Salaam's call for papers out there, and the selection of
Bucharest for 2019 announced, we felt the time was right to share
these results, and one important observation/suggestion. Suffice to
say it's the holiday "giving season" we are extremely proud and
pleased to be able to give back a substantial financial contribution
to OSGeo. Here's what has happened:

* Earlier this week the OSGeo Treasurer, Michael Smith, confirmed
that
a sum of *$178,132.29* was deposited from DMEM to OSGeo. This
sum
represented the following:
o 100% repayment of the *$70,000* advance that OSGeo provided
the
Boston Team.
o A surplus payment of *$108,132.29*
o In addition, the Boston Team earlier provided OSGeo
*$8,241.88*
via an earlier cash payment and in-kind services provided in
Boston (for a*total surplus of $116,374.17*)
* In addition, and as per our original proposal, we have also been
able to provide appx. $20,000 to endow a local non-profit -
Technocation - to become a local/regional OSGeo chapter. Our
Co-Chair, Guido Stein, will direct that non-profit.

We wish Mark and Msilikale as well as Vasile similar luck and
success this year, and next.

Last, the Boston Team would like to make a suggestion for use of
some of these funds for the Conference Dev and OSGeo Board to
consider. Simply put,*we believe that OSGeo should fund the creation
of, and distribution of the video record* (and/or any streaming).
The video component of the conference was by far the most
complicated and difficult part of our experience; and that is
certainly part of our delay in posting the videos /which we are
still doing/. Indeed, *this week we posted an addition 30 videos for
a total of 182* that are now online

quick summary of our experience, observations and rationale for this
recommendation:

1. Videoing a conference of this magnitude is a significant
endeavor.
We had 11 rooms running concurrent sessions plus the main
plenary
hall for keynotes. Over 230 sessions needed to be recorded.
2. Not only do you need to record the videos, but they must be post
processed/edited and then posted where they can be accessed. We
grossly under-estimated how much time and attention this takes.
3. Given the magnitude of the job, the cost is relatively high. Our
quote for having a third party do it was close to $50,000. It
could
be lower in other locations, but it will still be multiple
five-figures of expenditure.
4. Given the cost, and the financial insecurity we had before all
registrations and sponsors came in, we chose a lower cost "do it
yourself" approach. This involved buying equipment, and running
the
equipment with volunteers. And it was time consuming and
extremely
stressful, and it has ultimately resulted in the delays in the
post-processing of the videos.
5. If we knew the financial success we were to achieve, there is
/no
question/ that we would have chosen to spend the $50,000. And I
say
this as I know - via the 2019 RFP Q&A - that Vasile is
considering
using our approach, and indeed he is welcome to our equipment,
which
will be 2 years old by the time Bucharest comes around.
6. But here's the rub from the Chair's and LOC's point of view:
*  From our vantage, our main job was to create an amazing
event,
/in Boston,/ for the people and sponsors who could attend
(and
ultimately paid for the event).
* The video'ing task was very important, but very secondary to
making the in-person experience great.
* We would argue that the video'ing is /more important/ to
OSGeo
than it was to the BLOC itself. OSGeo wants to create the
permanent record; OSGeo wants to broaden the reach to people
who
couldn't come to Boston. The LOC is more focused on those
who
/could /come; OSGeo is legitimately more interested in those
who
could /not /come to Boston.
* So, it seems to make sense that OSGeo should /actually pay/
for
the videoing (or for some portion of the videoing).
Something
like a $30,000 grant to the chosen LOC and dedicated to
funding
videoing would make good sense. This will help relieve
stress
and to help ensure financial success for the LOC while
ensuring
there is high quality videoing occurring and the results are
posted in a timely fashion.

We would strongly urge the consideration of this proposal as we know
that Boston's financial contribution to OSGeo helps to make this
increasingly feasible.

All of us thank you for the opportunity to show what the Boston and
OSGeo communities could do together. We will be forever grateful for
this experience. Happy holidays to all!

Sincerely, MT & the BLOC

--
Michael Terner
/Executive Vice President /
Direct: _<a href="tel:617-447-2468" target="_blank" style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline;" class="">617-447-2468 [2] _
Main: _<a href="tel:617-447-2400" target="_blank" style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline;" class="">617-447-2400 [3]_

www.AppGeo.com [4] <http://www.appgeo.com/>

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board [5]

--

Michael Terner

_Executive Vice President _
Direct: <a href="tel:617-447-2468" target="_blank" style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline;" class="">617-447-2468

Main: <a href="tel:617-447-2400" target="_blank" style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline;" class="">617-447-2400

www.AppGeo.com [4]

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or
legally privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient
or otherwise authorized to receive this message, you should not use,
copy, distribute, disclose or take any action based on the information
contained in this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this
message and material in error, please advise the sender immediately by
reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied
Geographics, Inc.
(AppGeo)._______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


Links:
------
[1] http://2017.foss4g.org/post_conference/#slides
[2] tel:<a href="tel:617-447-2468" target="_blank" style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline;" class="">617-447-2468
[3] tel:<a href="tel:617-447-2400" target="_blank" style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline;" class="">617-447-2400
[4] http://www.appgeo.com/
[5] https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev

-- 
Astrid Emde
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Astrid_Emde


 
-- 
Michael Terner
Executive Vice President 
Direct: 617-447-2468  
Main: 617-447-2400
 
 <~WRD000.jpg>
 
Fehler! Es wurde kein Dateiname angegeben.

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy, distribute, disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and material in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo).


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Board] FOSS4G Boston 2017 Financial Wrapup

Guido Stein-3
In reply to this post by Drees, Bastian
Hey folks,

Its great to see so much activity around this topic.

In the end we sent our raw footage to a freelance editor. The size of this task turned out to be too much to handle. While there were offers to us to help us edit, this could not be a distributed effort as the video files combined took up terabytes of space and my organization of the room/media information was not great.

I finally got all the videos back from the freelancer a week ago and plan on going through the videos next month to try and generate the meta data needed.

Bastian, please expect a ping from me at the beginning of next month for help in making sure I understand how to post these videos.

One final note, based on a clause in Dr. Stallman's talk can only be provided online in a free format. So I am not sure we will be able to hand off his video to TIB.

Thanks all for your interest and I hope that I can wrap this all up soon.

-Guido

p.s. I have been traveling and will be traveling again shortly, so February is the first time I will have some solid time to put in on this. I would be happy to reply to email thought if anyone has questions or thoughts.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 5:37 AM Drees, Bastian <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone,

 

I am very excited to learn that OSGeo is going to set up a video committee. I’ll be happy to help wherever possible.

 

Thank you very much, Michael, for sharing the LOC’s experience with the video production at last year’s FOSS4G in Boston. Great that you managed to put up all the videos. Now, there are basically two possibilities of how to get those videos to the AV-Portal.

 

1.       TIB downloads the videos from vimeo.

2.       LOC provides the videos + metadata via ftp.

 

Pros and cons in short:

1.       Pros: easy procedure with no (or little) work for LOC. Cons: We will not have any metadata or links to related material (slides, project websites, articles, source code) and it will take a while as some basic metadata has to be added manually.

2.       Pros: good metadata and possibility of linking to related material. Cons: more difficult procedure and some work for LOC.

 

However, for the second option the great people of the Chaos Computer Club C3VOC-Team (Andi in particular) have written a small script that automatically extracts the metadata and uploads both metadata and videos to our ftp. Maybe you could easily adapt the script to your system. https://github.com/voc/publishing/tree/feature/tib-upload

 

Just tell me what you would prefer and I will organize all that’s necessary.

 

Have a good weekend,

Bastian

 

Von: Michael Terner [mailto:[hidden email]]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 17. Januar 2018 22:43
An: Astrid Emde (OSGeo); Guido Stein; Ashley Tardif
Cc: OSGeo Board; conference; Mark Iliffe; Drees, Bastian
Betreff: Re: [OSGeo-Conf] [Board] FOSS4G Boston 2017 Financial Wrapup

 

+ Guido, Ashley

 

Hey Astrid:

Sorry for the delayed reply. And, congrats on earning your Board seat! Love to see the new blood on the Board making noise. ;-)

 

YES, we love your idea. And, we love the idea of a longer term partnership with someone like Chaos Computer Club. As I reported on the list in response to a post from Jeff we reached out them after Bonn as we were incredibly impressed with their work. Sadly, they were not up for making the trip across the Atlantic. But perhaps a formal partnership might make that feasible; or they could assist in choosing another like-minded partner. Indeed, technical assistance would be valuable too.

 

As you know from my post, we have strong feelings about this topic and feel like we learned some good lessons that we can share, with the biggest of them all being that Do It Yourself (DIY) is very, very hard; and we learned that what groups like Chaos Club do in making it look easy is not at all easy. So yes, the following are all part of what OSGeo can do to make this work better, and to relieve the LOC of a difficult task that largely benefits OSGeo more than it does the LOC since we're really most focused on making a great conference for those who can attend:

  • Best practices for what's needed to record and/or stream
  • Technical assistance in specifying the work; selecting a partner
  • Direct help in funding a partner/contractor as in many parts of the world, those costs are high
  • And ideally, access to an approved partner like Chaos Club 

Don't hesitate to ask us other questions as we'd be pleased to lend our perspective and lessons learned. Speaking of which, we've started posting those to the Wiki and will continue through the end of the month (nothing on videoing yet).

 

All the best and thanks for taking this on!

 

MT

 

PS: While we finally have completed processing all the "good video" (200+ sessions), which is available here, we are mindful that they're posted in Vimeo, and that we still want to make sure we get them to TIB for permanent archive. Guido will be our point of contact for getting that done.

 

 

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 12:08 PM, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Michael, hello Mark and Msilikale from FOSS4G 2018 and Vasile from FOSS4G 2019,

@michael thanks for your feedback on recording and the suggestion to get OSGeo involved in the video recording.

At our last board meeting in december 2017 when we set up the budget for 2018 we talked about the recording too.

See Meeting notes
* https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2017-12-23#Draft_Budget_Read_through

My action item from this meeting was to answer your mail and start setting up a technical video team to be available to LOC.

The idea is that OSGeo
* helps setting up a longterm support video team that helps FOSS4G LOCs with the big challenge of providing streaming/recording/publishing
* gives financial supports to setup a technical video committee
* also to support the video committee with their expenses for travelling or buying/shipping equipement
* works on a process that can be repeated at every conference

The committee could be similar to the c3voc (https://c3voc.de/) or work together with them and TIB (to publish the videos at TIB AV Portal (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/TIB).

Here ist he new wiki page for this video committee. I will send a mail to OSGeo-Discuss to encourage people to get involved:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Video_Committee

Hope you like the idea.

@Mark and @Msilikale - would you like to try out this idea for Dar es Salaam already? Or do you already have a plan for your recordings?

FOSSGIS 2018 will be in March in Bonn and I hope we can have a meeting with the c3voc team (they do the recording) and Bastian Drees from TIB and some people from OSGeo to discuss the idea.

There is already a chapter about streaming & videos in the conference cookbook (could be updated when the new committee is setup)

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook#Streaming_and_archiving_presentations_and_keynotes

Astrid



Am 2017-12-23 18:46, schrieb Mark Iliffe:

Michael, Jeff,

I must confess this is something at the top of my mind also - both in
terms of ensuring we have a record of the event but also to balance
this within our budget. I look forward to the new year and request
that the OSGeo board discusses this, not just for 2018, but also for
FOSS4Gs going forward.

Many thanks,

Mark

On 23 Dec 2017, at 15:00, Michael Terner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Jeff:
Thanks for the recognition and your thoughts on the videoing.

Indeed, Guido and I were tremendously impressed with how the Chaos
Computer Club (CCC) handled the video'ing of FOSS4G Bonn 2016. We
reached out to Till and his team to understand the costs they had
incurred. After hearing from Till, we concluded that it would have
been cost effective to pay for travel from Germany and lodging in
Boston and have CCC provide similar video services to us. Guido
reached out to CCC and we earnestly pursued that option.
Unfortunately, CCC determined, and conveyed to us in a professional
manner, that they would be unable to provide services to Boston. So
we tried.

Indeed, one of the benefits of having OSGeo involved could be the
pursuit of a reliable and consistent approach and a pool of
suppliers, like CCC, that might be engaged to help. Indeed, we had
to learn everything from the ground up.

Happy holidays to all!

MT

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 10:02 PM, Jeff McKenna
<[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Michael, Ashley, Guido,

Thank you for such an amazing Christmas present to the foundation!
The whole BLOC should be immensely proud.  And such a financial
contribution to OSGeo, truly the whole community thanks you.

I am also very happy to hear of the creation of your new local OSGeo
chapter.

Regarding your proposal of OSGeo handling the video records of
FOSS4G events, I have also been thinking of this; I agree that
streaming, recording, and fast publishing of talks is now mandatory
for events.  I have spoken to Volker and others about the streaming
and sharing of FOSSGIS event talks (I have for years now been
impressed with the group behind that for FOSSGIS).  I believe that
group (http://c3voc.de/) handles events, sometimes for free: even if
I am wrong on the cost, I think this is one of the possible groups
that we could work with for FOSS4G (and get a cost quote if need
be).  Talks for FOSSGIS are often archived and posted minutes after
each talk.

I agree that OSGeo should now step in and make sure this is handled.
Especially with the FOSS4G-Boston financial contribution, I hope we
can now consider to set this up for 2018, 2019 and beyond.

Finally, the spirit of FOSS4G is about giving the spotlight to a
community and group, planting a seed or just helping things grow;
the Boston community took the spotlight and showed the whole
geospatial world what innovation and community really is.  Thank
you!

Merry Christmas to you and your families Michael, Guido, Ashley,
all,

-jeff

On 2017-12-22 11:51 AM, Michael Terner wrote:
Earlier this week we wrapped up the finances of FOSS4G Boston and
closed our accounts with our fantastic professional conference
organizer (Delaney Meeting & Event Management, DMEM). And with Dar
es Salaam's call for papers out there, and the selection of
Bucharest for 2019 announced, we felt the time was right to share
these results, and one important observation/suggestion. Suffice to
say it's the holiday "giving season" we are extremely proud and
pleased to be able to give back a substantial financial contribution
to OSGeo. Here's what has happened:

* Earlier this week the OSGeo Treasurer, Michael Smith, confirmed
that
a sum of *$178,132.29* was deposited from DMEM to OSGeo. This
sum
represented the following:
o 100% repayment of the *$70,000* advance that OSGeo provided
the
Boston Team.
o A surplus payment of *$108,132.29*
o In addition, the Boston Team earlier provided OSGeo
*$8,241.88*
via an earlier cash payment and in-kind services provided in
Boston (for a*total surplus of $116,374.17*)
* In addition, and as per our original proposal, we have also been
able to provide appx. $20,000 to endow a local non-profit -
Technocation - to become a local/regional OSGeo chapter. Our
Co-Chair, Guido Stein, will direct that non-profit.

We wish Mark and Msilikale as well as Vasile similar luck and
success this year, and next.

Last, the Boston Team would like to make a suggestion for use of
some of these funds for the Conference Dev and OSGeo Board to
consider. Simply put,*we believe that OSGeo should fund the creation
of, and distribution of the video record* (and/or any streaming).
The video component of the conference was by far the most
complicated and difficult part of our experience; and that is
certainly part of our delay in posting the videos /which we are
still doing/. Indeed, *this week we posted an addition 30 videos for
a total of 182* that are now online

<http://2017.foss4g.org/post_conference/#slides [1]>. Here is a


quick summary of our experience, observations and rationale for this
recommendation:

1. Videoing a conference of this magnitude is a significant
endeavor.
We had 11 rooms running concurrent sessions plus the main
plenary
hall for keynotes. Over 230 sessions needed to be recorded.
2. Not only do you need to record the videos, but they must be post
processed/edited and then posted where they can be accessed. We
grossly under-estimated how much time and attention this takes.
3. Given the magnitude of the job, the cost is relatively high. Our
quote for having a third party do it was close to $50,000. It
could
be lower in other locations, but it will still be multiple
five-figures of expenditure.
4. Given the cost, and the financial insecurity we had before all
registrations and sponsors came in, we chose a lower cost "do it
yourself" approach. This involved buying equipment, and running
the
equipment with volunteers. And it was time consuming and
extremely
stressful, and it has ultimately resulted in the delays in the
post-processing of the videos.
5. If we knew the financial success we were to achieve, there is
/no
question/ that we would have chosen to spend the $50,000. And I
say
this as I know - via the 2019 RFP Q&A - that Vasile is
considering
using our approach, and indeed he is welcome to our equipment,
which
will be 2 years old by the time Bucharest comes around.
6. But here's the rub from the Chair's and LOC's point of view:
*  From our vantage, our main job was to create an amazing
event,
/in Boston,/ for the people and sponsors who could attend
(and
ultimately paid for the event).
* The video'ing task was very important, but very secondary to
making the in-person experience great.
* We would argue that the video'ing is /more important/ to
OSGeo
than it was to the BLOC itself. OSGeo wants to create the
permanent record; OSGeo wants to broaden the reach to people
who
couldn't come to Boston. The LOC is more focused on those
who
/could /come; OSGeo is legitimately more interested in those
who
could /not /come to Boston.
* So, it seems to make sense that OSGeo should /actually pay/
for
the videoing (or for some portion of the videoing).
Something
like a $30,000 grant to the chosen LOC and dedicated to
funding
videoing would make good sense. This will help relieve
stress
and to help ensure financial success for the LOC while
ensuring
there is high quality videoing occurring and the results are
posted in a timely fashion.

We would strongly urge the consideration of this proposal as we know
that Boston's financial contribution to OSGeo helps to make this
increasingly feasible.

All of us thank you for the opportunity to show what the Boston and
OSGeo communities could do together. We will be forever grateful for
this experience. Happy holidays to all!

Sincerely, MT & the BLOC

--
Michael Terner
/Executive Vice President /

Direct: _<a href="tel:617-447-2468" target="_blank">617-447-2468 [2] _
Main: _<a href="tel:617-447-2400" target="_blank">617-447-2400 [3]_

www.AppGeo.com [4] <http://www.appgeo.com/>

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board [5]


--

Michael Terner

_Executive Vice President _
Direct: <a href="tel:617-447-2468" target="_blank">617-447-2468

Main: <a href="tel:617-447-2400" target="_blank">617-447-2400

www.AppGeo.com [4]

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or
legally privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient
or otherwise authorized to receive this message, you should not use,
copy, distribute, disclose or take any action based on the information
contained in this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this
message and material in error, please advise the sender immediately by
reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied
Geographics, Inc.
(AppGeo)._______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


Links:
------
[1] http://2017.foss4g.org/post_conference/#slides
[2] tel:<a href="tel:617-447-2468" target="_blank">617-447-2468
[3] tel:<a href="tel:617-447-2400" target="_blank">617-447-2400
[4] http://www.appgeo.com/
[5] https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


--
Astrid Emde
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Astrid_Emde



 

--

Michael Terner

Executive Vice President 
Direct: <a href="tel:(617)%20447-2468" value="+16174472468" target="_blank">617-447-2468  

Main: <a href="tel:(617)%20447-2400" value="+16174472400" target="_blank">617-447-2400

 

 

~WRD000.jpg

 

Fehler! Es wurde kein Dateiname angegeben.


This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy, distribute, disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and material in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo).


This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy, distribute, disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and material in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo).
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Board] FOSS4G Boston 2017 Financial Wrapup

delawen
Hi Guido,

This is a good piece of information all conferences with recorded sessions should know.

When preparing the foss4g proposal we almost did the same mistake of underestimating the amount of work that this requires. Fortunately we had people who did the same mistake before :)

About the free format... Have you tried ogg?



El 21 ene. 2018 20:36, "Guido Stein" <[hidden email]> escribió:
Hey folks,

Its great to see so much activity around this topic.

In the end we sent our raw footage to a freelance editor. The size of this task turned out to be too much to handle. While there were offers to us to help us edit, this could not be a distributed effort as the video files combined took up terabytes of space and my organization of the room/media information was not great.

I finally got all the videos back from the freelancer a week ago and plan on going through the videos next month to try and generate the meta data needed.

Bastian, please expect a ping from me at the beginning of next month for help in making sure I understand how to post these videos.

One final note, based on a clause in Dr. Stallman's talk can only be provided online in a free format. So I am not sure we will be able to hand off his video to TIB.

Thanks all for your interest and I hope that I can wrap this all up soon.

-Guido

p.s. I have been traveling and will be traveling again shortly, so February is the first time I will have some solid time to put in on this. I would be happy to reply to email thought if anyone has questions or thoughts.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 5:37 AM Drees, Bastian <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone,

 

I am very excited to learn that OSGeo is going to set up a video committee. I’ll be happy to help wherever possible.

 

Thank you very much, Michael, for sharing the LOC’s experience with the video production at last year’s FOSS4G in Boston. Great that you managed to put up all the videos. Now, there are basically two possibilities of how to get those videos to the AV-Portal.

 

1.       TIB downloads the videos from vimeo.

2.       LOC provides the videos + metadata via ftp.

 

Pros and cons in short:

1.       Pros: easy procedure with no (or little) work for LOC. Cons: We will not have any metadata or links to related material (slides, project websites, articles, source code) and it will take a while as some basic metadata has to be added manually.

2.       Pros: good metadata and possibility of linking to related material. Cons: more difficult procedure and some work for LOC.

 

However, for the second option the great people of the Chaos Computer Club C3VOC-Team (Andi in particular) have written a small script that automatically extracts the metadata and uploads both metadata and videos to our ftp. Maybe you could easily adapt the script to your system. https://github.com/voc/publishing/tree/feature/tib-upload

 

Just tell me what you would prefer and I will organize all that’s necessary.

 

Have a good weekend,

Bastian

 

Von: Michael Terner [mailto:[hidden email]]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 17. Januar 2018 22:43
An: Astrid Emde (OSGeo); Guido Stein; Ashley Tardif
Cc: OSGeo Board; conference; Mark Iliffe; Drees, Bastian
Betreff: Re: [OSGeo-Conf] [Board] FOSS4G Boston 2017 Financial Wrapup

 

+ Guido, Ashley

 

Hey Astrid:

Sorry for the delayed reply. And, congrats on earning your Board seat! Love to see the new blood on the Board making noise. ;-)

 

YES, we love your idea. And, we love the idea of a longer term partnership with someone like Chaos Computer Club. As I reported on the list in response to a post from Jeff we reached out them after Bonn as we were incredibly impressed with their work. Sadly, they were not up for making the trip across the Atlantic. But perhaps a formal partnership might make that feasible; or they could assist in choosing another like-minded partner. Indeed, technical assistance would be valuable too.

 

As you know from my post, we have strong feelings about this topic and feel like we learned some good lessons that we can share, with the biggest of them all being that Do It Yourself (DIY) is very, very hard; and we learned that what groups like Chaos Club do in making it look easy is not at all easy. So yes, the following are all part of what OSGeo can do to make this work better, and to relieve the LOC of a difficult task that largely benefits OSGeo more than it does the LOC since we're really most focused on making a great conference for those who can attend:

  • Best practices for what's needed to record and/or stream
  • Technical assistance in specifying the work; selecting a partner
  • Direct help in funding a partner/contractor as in many parts of the world, those costs are high
  • And ideally, access to an approved partner like Chaos Club 

Don't hesitate to ask us other questions as we'd be pleased to lend our perspective and lessons learned. Speaking of which, we've started posting those to the Wiki and will continue through the end of the month (nothing on videoing yet).

 

All the best and thanks for taking this on!

 

MT

 

PS: While we finally have completed processing all the "good video" (200+ sessions), which is available here, we are mindful that they're posted in Vimeo, and that we still want to make sure we get them to TIB for permanent archive. Guido will be our point of contact for getting that done.

 

 

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 12:08 PM, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Michael, hello Mark and Msilikale from FOSS4G 2018 and Vasile from FOSS4G 2019,

@michael thanks for your feedback on recording and the suggestion to get OSGeo involved in the video recording.

At our last board meeting in december 2017 when we set up the budget for 2018 we talked about the recording too.

See Meeting notes
* https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2017-12-23#Draft_Budget_Read_through

My action item from this meeting was to answer your mail and start setting up a technical video team to be available to LOC.

The idea is that OSGeo
* helps setting up a longterm support video team that helps FOSS4G LOCs with the big challenge of providing streaming/recording/publishing
* gives financial supports to setup a technical video committee
* also to support the video committee with their expenses for travelling or buying/shipping equipement
* works on a process that can be repeated at every conference

The committee could be similar to the c3voc (https://c3voc.de/) or work together with them and TIB (to publish the videos at TIB AV Portal (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/TIB).

Here ist he new wiki page for this video committee. I will send a mail to OSGeo-Discuss to encourage people to get involved:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Video_Committee

Hope you like the idea.

@Mark and @Msilikale - would you like to try out this idea for Dar es Salaam already? Or do you already have a plan for your recordings?

FOSSGIS 2018 will be in March in Bonn and I hope we can have a meeting with the c3voc team (they do the recording) and Bastian Drees from TIB and some people from OSGeo to discuss the idea.

There is already a chapter about streaming & videos in the conference cookbook (could be updated when the new committee is setup)

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook#Streaming_and_archiving_presentations_and_keynotes

Astrid



Am 2017-12-23 18:46, schrieb Mark Iliffe:

Michael, Jeff,

I must confess this is something at the top of my mind also - both in
terms of ensuring we have a record of the event but also to balance
this within our budget. I look forward to the new year and request
that the OSGeo board discusses this, not just for 2018, but also for
FOSS4Gs going forward.

Many thanks,

Mark

On 23 Dec 2017, at 15:00, Michael Terner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Jeff:
Thanks for the recognition and your thoughts on the videoing.

Indeed, Guido and I were tremendously impressed with how the Chaos
Computer Club (CCC) handled the video'ing of FOSS4G Bonn 2016. We
reached out to Till and his team to understand the costs they had
incurred. After hearing from Till, we concluded that it would have
been cost effective to pay for travel from Germany and lodging in
Boston and have CCC provide similar video services to us. Guido
reached out to CCC and we earnestly pursued that option.
Unfortunately, CCC determined, and conveyed to us in a professional
manner, that they would be unable to provide services to Boston. So
we tried.

Indeed, one of the benefits of having OSGeo involved could be the
pursuit of a reliable and consistent approach and a pool of
suppliers, like CCC, that might be engaged to help. Indeed, we had
to learn everything from the ground up.

Happy holidays to all!

MT

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 10:02 PM, Jeff McKenna
<[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Michael, Ashley, Guido,

Thank you for such an amazing Christmas present to the foundation!
The whole BLOC should be immensely proud.  And such a financial
contribution to OSGeo, truly the whole community thanks you.

I am also very happy to hear of the creation of your new local OSGeo
chapter.

Regarding your proposal of OSGeo handling the video records of
FOSS4G events, I have also been thinking of this; I agree that
streaming, recording, and fast publishing of talks is now mandatory
for events.  I have spoken to Volker and others about the streaming
and sharing of FOSSGIS event talks (I have for years now been
impressed with the group behind that for FOSSGIS).  I believe that
group (http://c3voc.de/) handles events, sometimes for free: even if
I am wrong on the cost, I think this is one of the possible groups
that we could work with for FOSS4G (and get a cost quote if need
be).  Talks for FOSSGIS are often archived and posted minutes after
each talk.

I agree that OSGeo should now step in and make sure this is handled.
Especially with the FOSS4G-Boston financial contribution, I hope we
can now consider to set this up for 2018, 2019 and beyond.

Finally, the spirit of FOSS4G is about giving the spotlight to a
community and group, planting a seed or just helping things grow;
the Boston community took the spotlight and showed the whole
geospatial world what innovation and community really is.  Thank
you!

Merry Christmas to you and your families Michael, Guido, Ashley,
all,

-jeff

On 2017-12-22 11:51 AM, Michael Terner wrote:
Earlier this week we wrapped up the finances of FOSS4G Boston and
closed our accounts with our fantastic professional conference
organizer (Delaney Meeting & Event Management, DMEM). And with Dar
es Salaam's call for papers out there, and the selection of
Bucharest for 2019 announced, we felt the time was right to share
these results, and one important observation/suggestion. Suffice to
say it's the holiday "giving season" we are extremely proud and
pleased to be able to give back a substantial financial contribution
to OSGeo. Here's what has happened:

* Earlier this week the OSGeo Treasurer, Michael Smith, confirmed
that
a sum of *$178,132.29* was deposited from DMEM to OSGeo. This
sum
represented the following:
o 100% repayment of the *$70,000* advance that OSGeo provided
the
Boston Team.
o A surplus payment of *$108,132.29*
o In addition, the Boston Team earlier provided OSGeo
*$8,241.88*
via an earlier cash payment and in-kind services provided in
Boston (for a*total surplus of $116,374.17*)
* In addition, and as per our original proposal, we have also been
able to provide appx. $20,000 to endow a local non-profit -
Technocation - to become a local/regional OSGeo chapter. Our
Co-Chair, Guido Stein, will direct that non-profit.

We wish Mark and Msilikale as well as Vasile similar luck and
success this year, and next.

Last, the Boston Team would like to make a suggestion for use of
some of these funds for the Conference Dev and OSGeo Board to
consider. Simply put,*we believe that OSGeo should fund the creation
of, and distribution of the video record* (and/or any streaming).
The video component of the conference was by far the most
complicated and difficult part of our experience; and that is
certainly part of our delay in posting the videos /which we are
still doing/. Indeed, *this week we posted an addition 30 videos for
a total of 182* that are now online

<http://2017.foss4g.org/post_conference/#slides [1]>. Here is a


quick summary of our experience, observations and rationale for this
recommendation:

1. Videoing a conference of this magnitude is a significant
endeavor.
We had 11 rooms running concurrent sessions plus the main
plenary
hall for keynotes. Over 230 sessions needed to be recorded.
2. Not only do you need to record the videos, but they must be post
processed/edited and then posted where they can be accessed. We
grossly under-estimated how much time and attention this takes.
3. Given the magnitude of the job, the cost is relatively high. Our
quote for having a third party do it was close to $50,000. It
could
be lower in other locations, but it will still be multiple
five-figures of expenditure.
4. Given the cost, and the financial insecurity we had before all
registrations and sponsors came in, we chose a lower cost "do it
yourself" approach. This involved buying equipment, and running
the
equipment with volunteers. And it was time consuming and
extremely
stressful, and it has ultimately resulted in the delays in the
post-processing of the videos.
5. If we knew the financial success we were to achieve, there is
/no
question/ that we would have chosen to spend the $50,000. And I
say
this as I know - via the 2019 RFP Q&A - that Vasile is
considering
using our approach, and indeed he is welcome to our equipment,
which
will be 2 years old by the time Bucharest comes around.
6. But here's the rub from the Chair's and LOC's point of view:
*  From our vantage, our main job was to create an amazing
event,
/in Boston,/ for the people and sponsors who could attend
(and
ultimately paid for the event).
* The video'ing task was very important, but very secondary to
making the in-person experience great.
* We would argue that the video'ing is /more important/ to
OSGeo
than it was to the BLOC itself. OSGeo wants to create the
permanent record; OSGeo wants to broaden the reach to people
who
couldn't come to Boston. The LOC is more focused on those
who
/could /come; OSGeo is legitimately more interested in those
who
could /not /come to Boston.
* So, it seems to make sense that OSGeo should /actually pay/
for
the videoing (or for some portion of the videoing).
Something
like a $30,000 grant to the chosen LOC and dedicated to
funding
videoing would make good sense. This will help relieve
stress
and to help ensure financial success for the LOC while
ensuring
there is high quality videoing occurring and the results are
posted in a timely fashion.

We would strongly urge the consideration of this proposal as we know
that Boston's financial contribution to OSGeo helps to make this
increasingly feasible.

All of us thank you for the opportunity to show what the Boston and
OSGeo communities could do together. We will be forever grateful for
this experience. Happy holidays to all!

Sincerely, MT & the BLOC

--
Michael Terner
/Executive Vice President /

Direct: _<a href="tel:617-447-2468" target="_blank">617-447-2468 [2] _
Main: _<a href="tel:617-447-2400" target="_blank">617-447-2400 [3]_

www.AppGeo.com [4] <http://www.appgeo.com/>

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board [5]


--

Michael Terner

_Executive Vice President _
Direct: <a href="tel:617-447-2468" target="_blank">617-447-2468

Main: <a href="tel:617-447-2400" target="_blank">617-447-2400

www.AppGeo.com [4]

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or
legally privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient
or otherwise authorized to receive this message, you should not use,
copy, distribute, disclose or take any action based on the information
contained in this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this
message and material in error, please advise the sender immediately by
reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied
Geographics, Inc.
(AppGeo)._______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


Links:
------
[1] http://2017.foss4g.org/post_conference/#slides
[2] tel:<a href="tel:617-447-2468" target="_blank">617-447-2468
[3] tel:<a href="tel:617-447-2400" target="_blank">617-447-2400
[4] http://www.appgeo.com/
[5] https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


--
Astrid Emde
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Astrid_Emde



 

--

Michael Terner

Executive Vice President 
Direct: <a href="tel:(617)%20447-2468" value="+16174472468" target="_blank">617-447-2468  

Main: <a href="tel:(617)%20447-2400" value="+16174472400" target="_blank">617-447-2400

 

 

~WRD000.jpg

 

Fehler! Es wurde kein Dateiname angegeben.


This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy, distribute, disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and material in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo).


This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy, distribute, disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and material in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo).

_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev