Re: Application for the library "GeoServer PHP Client" tobecome a OSGeo Community project

Re: Application for the library "GeoServer PHP Client" tobecome a OSGeo Community project

Alessio Vertemati

Hi Jody, thanks for having a look. Here is the reply to the thread as requested.

Alessio Vertemati
OneOff-Tech developer

Re: Application for the library "GeoServer PHP Client" tobecome a OSGeo Community project

jody.garnett
Thanks I do not seem to have gotten the original email :P

1) GeoSpatial

GeoServer PHP is used for spatial work, as a GeoServer team member we would love your feedback as the REST API evolves.

2) open source license, with source code check of headers
License AGPL is very much open source
- Have you checked your headers? Looking myself and searching it GitHub did not find anything but I need to ask :)

3) accepts contributions
- CONTRIBUTING.md is nice and clear and has a CLA
- CLA.md same thing, nice and clear
- pull request history do not see a wide range of contributors... yet :)

From our standpoint we are not offering legal advice we just want to ensure you have thought about how contributions happen and the effect on your code. So this is a bit of open source advocacy for us OSGeo.

aside: I quite like your company logo, kind of looks like "on" / "off" when drawn out
--
Jody Garnett

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 at 11:06, Alessio Vertemati <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Jody, thanks for having a look. Here is the reply to the thread as requested.

Alessio Vertemati
OneOff-Tech developer

Re: Application for the library "GeoServer PHP Client"tobecome a OSGeo Community project

Alessio Vertemati

You’re welcome, and indeed thanks for the revision of the request.

> GeoServer PHP is used for spatial work, as a GeoServer team member we would love your feedback as the REST API evolves.

Yes sure.

>> Have you checked your headers? Looking myself and searching it GitHub did not find anything but I need to ask :)

Sure, no problem I will double check tomorrow and let you know if I had to fix something.

>> 3) accepts contributions

Yep, we hope to get some more contributors, as I’m feeling lonely there. Thanks for reviewing all the contribution documentation.

>> aside: I quite like your company logo, kind of looks like "on" / "off" when drawn out

Thanks, I will share your appreciation during the company standup. Indeed we wanted to give the impression of “on” and “off” with a bit of twist, while not sounding like the usual “all or nothing”.

--

Alessio Vertemati
OneOff-Tech developer

Re: Application for the library "GeoServer PHPClient"tobecome a OSGeo Community project

Alessio Vertemati

I checked again the headers and are present in the source code files. So should be all good.

Let me know if there is anything else I need to check/do.

Alessio Vertemati
OneOff-Tech developer

You’re welcome, and indeed thanks for the revision of the request.

> GeoServer PHP is used for spatial work, as a GeoServer team member we would love your feedback as the REST API evolves.

Yes sure.

>> Have you checked your headers? Looking myself and searching it GitHub did not find anything but I need to ask :)

Sure, no problem I will double check tomorrow and let you know if I had to fix something.

>> 3) accepts contributions

Yep, we hope to get some more contributors, as I’m feeling lonely there. Thanks for reviewing all the contribution documentation.

>> aside: I quite like your company logo, kind of looks like "on" / "off" when drawn out

Thanks, I will share your appreciation during the company standup. Indeed we wanted to give the impression of “on” and “off” with a bit of twist, while not sounding like the usual “all or nothing”.

--

Alessio Vertemati
OneOff-Tech developer

You’re welcome, and indeed thanks for the revision of the request.

> GeoServer PHP is used for spatial work, as a GeoServer team member we would love your feedback as the REST API evolves.

Yes sure.

>> Have you checked your headers? Looking myself and searching it GitHub did not find anything but I need to ask :)

Sure, no problem I will double check tomorrow and let you know if I had to fix something.

>> 3) accepts contributions

Yep, we hope to get some more contributors, as I’m feeling lonely there. Thanks for reviewing all the contribution documentation.

>> aside: I quite like your company logo, kind of looks like "on" / "off" when drawn out

Thanks, I will share your appreciation during the company standup. Indeed we wanted to give the impression of “on” and “off” with a bit of twist, while not sounding like the usual “all or nothing”.

--

Alessio Vertemati
OneOff-Tech developer

Re: Application for the library "GeoServer PHPClient"tobecome a OSGeo Community project

jody.garnett
One question I have is if the project should join the OSGeo Community program, or would it be more effective join the GeoServer project repository?

The GeoServer repository does host arms length projects (such as geofence) and the steering committee may be open to hosting 'GeoServer PHP Client'. That said gsconfig (python program providing access to GeoServer REST API) is hosted by boundless for use by GeoNode and QGIS integrations.
--
Jody Garnett

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 at 15:50, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think that is it Alessio, I will make a motion for the committee (who may have additional questions).
--
Jody Garnett

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 at 00:27, Alessio Vertemati <[hidden email]> wrote:

I checked again the headers and are present in the source code files. So should be all good.

Let me know if there is anything else I need to check/do.

Alessio Vertemati
OneOff-Tech developer

You’re welcome, and indeed thanks for the revision of the request.

> GeoServer PHP is used for spatial work, as a GeoServer team member we would love your feedback as the REST API evolves.

Yes sure.

>> Have you checked your headers? Looking myself and searching it GitHub did not find anything but I need to ask :)

Sure, no problem I will double check tomorrow and let you know if I had to fix something.

>> 3) accepts contributions

Yep, we hope to get some more contributors, as I’m feeling lonely there. Thanks for reviewing all the contribution documentation.

>> aside: I quite like your company logo, kind of looks like "on" / "off" when drawn out

Thanks, I will share your appreciation during the company standup. Indeed we wanted to give the impression of “on” and “off” with a bit of twist, while not sounding like the usual “all or nothing”.

--

Alessio Vertemati
OneOff-Tech developer

Re: Application for the library "GeoServerPHPClient"tobecome a OSGeo Community project

Alessio Vertemati

Hi Jody, very good question. I see no objections to join the GeoServer project repository and I think will be a honor to start as an unofficial project that gets promoted to be official. I don’t think this will mean loose ownership or visibility, but actually receive a very deep interest that I was (probably) not expecting in the first place.

Is a proposal we do after successfully becoming OSGeo Community project or is a totally different procedure?

Alessio Vertemati
OneOff-Tech developer

You’re welcome, and indeed thanks for the revision of the request.

> GeoServer PHP is used for spatial work, as a GeoServer team member we would love your feedback as the REST API evolves.

Yes sure.

>> Have you checked your headers? Looking myself and searching it GitHub did not find anything but I need to ask :)

Sure, no problem I will double check tomorrow and let you know if I had to fix something.

>> 3) accepts contributions

Yep, we hope to get some more contributors, as I’m feeling lonely there. Thanks for reviewing all the contribution documentation.

>> aside: I quite like your company logo, kind of looks like "on" / "off" when drawn out

Thanks, I will share your appreciation during the company standup. Indeed we wanted to give the impression of “on” and “off” with a bit of twist, while not sounding like the usual “all or nothing”.

--

Alessio Vertemati
OneOff-Tech developer

Re: Application for the library "GeoServerPHPClient"tobecome a OSGeo Community project

jody.garnett
There is probably no reason not to do both?

As for joining the GeoServer GitHub ... the GeoFence project did it (moving from GeoSolutions to GeoServer GitHub). So we can check email archive to see how they did it ... probably just asked.

There is a difference in license AGPL vs GPL to consider between the projects.

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 6:50 AM Alessio Vertemati <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Jody, very good question. I see no objections to join the GeoServer project repository and I think will be a honor to start as an unofficial project that gets promoted to be official. I don’t think this will mean loose ownership or visibility, but actually receive a very deep interest that I was (probably) not expecting in the first place.

Is a proposal we do after successfully becoming OSGeo Community project or is a totally different procedure?

Alessio Vertemati
OneOff-Tech developer

You’re welcome, and indeed thanks for the revision of the request.

> GeoServer PHP is used for spatial work, as a GeoServer team member we would love your feedback as the REST API evolves.

Yes sure.

>> Have you checked your headers? Looking myself and searching it GitHub did not find anything but I need to ask :)

Sure, no problem I will double check tomorrow and let you know if I had to fix something.

>> 3) accepts contributions

Yep, we hope to get some more contributors, as I’m feeling lonely there. Thanks for reviewing all the contribution documentation.

>> aside: I quite like your company logo, kind of looks like "on" / "off" when drawn out

Thanks, I will share your appreciation during the company standup. Indeed we wanted to give the impression of “on” and “off” with a bit of twist, while not sounding like the usual “all or nothing”.

--

Alessio Vertemati
OneOff-Tech developer

Re: Application for the library "GeoServerPHPClient"tobecomea OSGeo Community project

Alessio Vertemati

I guess we can do both.

I guess the license will not be a problem, but I will ask inside the company since it was a collective decision.

Alessio Vertemati
OneOff-Tech developer

You’re welcome, and indeed thanks for the revision of the request.

> GeoServer PHP is used for spatial work, as a GeoServer team member we would love your feedback as the REST API evolves.

Yes sure.

>> Have you checked your headers? Looking myself and searching it GitHub did not find anything but I need to ask :)

Sure, no problem I will double check tomorrow and let you know if I had to fix something.

>> 3) accepts contributions

Yep, we hope to get some more contributors, as I’m feeling lonely there. Thanks for reviewing all the contribution documentation.

>> aside: I quite like your company logo, kind of looks like "on" / "off" when drawn out

Thanks, I will share your appreciation during the company standup. Indeed we wanted to give the impression of “on” and “off” with a bit of twist, while not sounding like the usual “all or nothing”.

--

Alessio Vertemati
OneOff-Tech developer

Re: Application for the library "GeoServerPHPClient"tobecome a OSGeo Community project

Ian Turton

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 at 14:55, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is probably no reason not to do both?

As for joining the GeoServer GitHub ... the GeoFence project did it (moving from GeoSolutions to GeoServer GitHub). So we can check email archive to see how they did it ... probably just asked.

There is a difference in license AGPL vs GPL to consider between the projects.

The difference is that one (GeoFence) is a plugin that is added to GeoServer  and so makes sense to be part of the GeoServer project and the other is a project that uses the GeoServer API and as such should be a standalone project in the same way as GeoManagergeoserver-rest-client, gsconfig and probably dozens of other clients. You might as well say that QGis belongs in side geoserver because it can handle WMS and WFS requests.

I see no reason at all to start adding client code to the GeoServer code base.

Ian