Re: Application for MDAL to join OSGeo incubator program

Re: Application for MDAL to join OSGeo incubator program

jody.garnett
That would be great, please try now (your permissions were adjusted for "author" and "project author" website roles).
--
Jody Garnett

On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 at 22:30, Peter Petrik <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jody,

I saw yesterday's OSGeo meeting and remember that we ended up halfway with MDAL (mdal.xyz) for submission as a Community project.
I would like to finish the osgeo page to be ready to review, but it looks like i do not have permissions to edit the page?

my osgeo id is: zilolv

I am confident I can finish the items required for review https://www.osgeo.org/projects/mdal/, we have a brand new logo for MDAL and documentation pages :)

Thanks for helping me with this,
Peter

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 10:39 PM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, reviewing now.

project: changed to "none" (not an osgeo project - that happens after going through incubation)
logo: missing (please use the template)
website: missing
source: missing
documentation: missing
header: missing (if you project has a once sentence summary or tagline this is the place)
yeah all the rest of the content is missing

Let me know when this page is ready for review.

This web page *is* the key visibility you are looking working with OSGeo - please make a good impression and remember to keep focused on what your project offers users :)
--
Jody Garnett

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 at 04:52, Saber Razmjooei <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jody,

Thanks for the information. I have OSGeo id and got edit right for creating the page:

But the content has not been published publicly, which I guess it goes through your review.

Let me know if you need any information or have comments regarding the content.

Kind regards
Saber

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 at 12:07, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
You need to set up an osgeo user id, login to the website and report back with the username also we can give you the project author role (sigh website security).

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 2:25 AM Saber Razmjooei <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jody,

Many thanks for your email.

I have checked the criteria for joining the OSGeo Community programme and I think, MDAL meets all the requirements. I couldn't find how I can add a project page. I presume this can be done after you do your checks.

Looking at the list here:

but not sure who we should approach. From the wiki page, it says, OSGeo assigns the project a mentor.

Kind regards
Saber

On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 at 14:26, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good morning Saber, what an interesting project - I love it when projects emerge out of community discussions.

To start with we ask projects create a project page on our website (which requires us to check a few things) and then join the OSGeo community program. These are things you can do today.

To be accepted into the incubation program osgeo community projects need to be paired up with a mentor, and finding a mentor can be a challenge.
--
Jody Garnett

On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 at 03:50, Saber Razmjooei <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear OSGeo,

I am pleased to submit this application on behalf of MDAL developers to join OSGeo incubator program.

MDAL is a data abstraction library to handle structured/unstructured mesh data. It was initiated after a comprehensive discussion with QGIS and other OSGeo community. For more information, please see:

The library is now shipped as a part of QGIS to handle meteorological / hydrological / oceanographic data.

Please see below, our application. If you have any questions or need more information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
Saber

  1. Please provide the name and email address of the principal Project Owner.

    1. Peter Petrik ([hidden email])

  2. Please provide the names and emails of co-project owners (if any).

    1. Martin Dobias ([hidden email])

  3. Please provide the names, emails and entity affiliation of all official committers

    1. Peter Petrik ([hidden email]) - Lutra Consulting

    2. Martin Dobias ([hidden email]) - Lutra Consulting

  4. Please describe your Project.

    1. Mesh Data Abstraction Library (MDAL) is a C++ library for handling unstructured mesh data released with MIT license. It provides a single data model for multiple supported data formats. MDAL is used by QGIS for data access for mesh layers.

  5. Why is hosting at OSGeo good for your project?

    1. It is a generic library which we hope eventually will be incorporated into other OSGeo projects. Hence, having it under the OSGeo umbrella helps with its sustainability and support needed for such a library.

  6. Type of application does this project represent(client, server, standalone, library, etc.):

    1. Library

  7. Please describe any relationships to other open source projects.

    1. Currently, it is shipped with QGIS to handle mesh data (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/119)

  8. Please describe any relationships with commercial companies or products.

    1. The library handles a number of HDF based file formats used by proprietary and open source numerical modelling packages for hydrology, oceanography and meteorology. Development of MDAL has been so far, primarily funded by those companies.

  9. Which open source license(s) will the source code be released under?

    1. MIT License (https://github.com/lutraconsulting/MDAL/blob/master/LICENSE)

  10. Is there already a beta or official release?

    1. Yes: https://github.com/lutraconsulting/MDAL/releases

  11. What is the origin of your project (commercial, experimental, thesis or other higher education, government, or some other source)?

    1. Commercial

  12. Does the project support open standards? Which ones and to what extent? (OGC, w3c, ect.) Has the software been certified to any standard (CITE for example)? If not, is it the intention of the project owners to seek certification at some point?

    1. The project currently supports a number of open standards for HDF and CF conventions.

  13. Is the code free of patents, trademarks, and do you control the copyright?

    1. Yes. it is free of patents and trademarks and we control the copyright.

  14. How many people actively contribute (code, documentation, other?) to the project at this time?

    1. 3

  15. How many people have commit access to the source code respository?

    1. 2

  16. Approximately how many users are currently using this project?

    1. All QGIS users as it is now a QGIS dependency.

  17. What type of users does your project attract (government, commercial, hobby, academic research, etc. )?

    1. Government, commercial, academics and research

  18. If you do not intend to host any portion of this project using the OSGeo infrastructure, why should you be considered a member project of the OSGeo Foundation?

    1. Not applicable

  19. Does the project include an automated build and test?

    1. Yes.

  20. What language(s) are used in this project? (C/Java/perl/etc)

    1. C++

  21. What is the dominant written language (i.e. English, French, Spanish, German, etc) of the core developers?

    1. English

  22. What is the (estimated) size of a full release of this project? How many users do you expect to download the project when it is released?

    1. It will be difficult to gauge the exact number of users. But currently, it is shipped with QGIS and probably used by 10s of thousands of users.

--
Saber Razmjooei
www.lutraconsulting.co.uk

--