Raster formats in Qgis 3.4

Anabel Lamaro

Good afternoon: I need to open some radar satellite images (Cosmo Skymed) that are in .h5 format (of the hdf type). With the previous version 2.18 it could open without inconvenience. I need help on this. Is there any add-on to open this type of raster format? Thank you in advance! Anabel

Libre de virus. www.avg.com

Re: Raster formats in Qgis 3.4

Alex Mandel-2
Anabel,

QGIS 3 supports all the same formats, however the loading dialog did
change.
https://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html

Sometimes there can also be a slight variation in which drivers are
included in the gdal install, though that usually only applies to
proprietary formats like MrSID and ECW.

What operating system are you using, which version of QGIS 3.4.?, and
can you send a link with an example file others can test with?

Do you get an error message? Please explain more about how it's not working.

Thanks,
Alex

On 11/27/18 09:17, Anabel Lamaro wrote:

> Good afternoon: I need to open some radar satellite images (Cosmo Skymed)
> that are in .h5 format (of the hdf type). With the previous version 2.18 it
> could open without inconvenience. I need help on this. Is there any add-on
> to open this type of raster format? Thank you in advance! Anabel

> Libre
> de virus. www.avg.com

Re: HDF Bug [Was: Raster formats in Qgis 3.4]

Alex Mandel-2
On Qgis-user an issue was reported with loading HDF5 files in QGIS 3.4
no Windows 10.

I was able to confirm that HDF5 files fail in QGIS 3.4.1, on Linux also.
Not just the user's file but file I also have. In both cases the files
work fine in QGIS 2.18.

This appears to be a regression related to subdatasets (sublayers). No
dialog comes up asking the user which subdataset to load, and hence the
load fails with a Provider is not Valid message.

Only bug info I can find was an old patch that solved this 7 years ago:
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/5041

Here's a MODIS image in HDF5 for people to test with.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hQEi3cRdVRlxih06nbo0gygAvJE08ft7

A secondary, minor issue, the Browser doesn't see the file if it has an
extension beyond .hdf, in this the case .h5 was what the user supplied.

Thanks,
Alex

On 11/27/18 10:26, Alex M wrote:

> Yes, please share with the group.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> On 11/27/18 10:20, Anabel Lamaro wrote:
>>  Thank you very much for your answer. I use Windows 10 and I have just
>> installed version 3.14 Madeira of the Qgis software. I enclose the error
>> message in a screenshot. I'll see if I can send you a link to the image.
>> Thank you very much Anabel
>>
>> El mar., 27 nov. 2018 a las 14:33, Alex M (<[hidden email]>)
>> escribió:
>>
>>> Anabel,
>>>
>>> QGIS 3 supports all the same formats, however the loading dialog did
>>> change.
>>> https://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html
>>>
>>> Sometimes there can also be a slight variation in which drivers are
>>> included in the gdal install, though that usually only applies to
>>> proprietary formats like MrSID and ECW.
>>>
>>> What operating system are you using, which version of QGIS 3.4.?, and
>>> can you send a link with an example file others can test with?
>>>
>>> Do you get an error message? Please explain more about how it's not
>>> working.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alex

>>> it
>>> add-on

>>> http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail

>>> http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail

Re: [QGIS-Developer] HDF Bug [Was: Raster formats in Qgis 3.4]

Alex Mandel-2
Workaround, assuming you know which subdataset you want to load (by
using gdalinfo on the commandline). Put the full path in to the dataset.

In a terminal or osgeo4w shell
$ gdalinfo MOD09A1.A2016313.h21v09.006.2016322094441.hdf | grep SUBDATA

copy the line for the layer you want to load
SUBDATASET_1_NAME=HDF4_EOS:EOS_GRID:"MOD09A1.A2016313.h21v09.006.2016322094441.hdf":MOD_Grid_500m_Surface_Reflectance:sur_refl_b01

Append the full path to the file, example here is /home/user/, like
C:/user/username on Windows.

HDF4_EOS:EOS_GRID:"/home/user/MOD09A1.A2016313.h21v09.006.2016322094441.hdf":MOD_Grid_500m_Surface_Reflectance:sur_refl_b01

Paste this into the load Raster dialog in QGIS 3.4.1

Not ideal but highlights that the driver is fine, it's just the
detection and selection of subdata layers that's not working.

Thanks,
Alex

On 11/28/18 10:30, Alex M wrote:

> On Qgis-user an issue was reported with loading HDF5 files in QGIS 3.4
> no Windows 10.
>
> I was able to confirm that HDF5 files fail in QGIS 3.4.1, on Linux also.
> Not just the user's file but file I also have. In both cases the files
> work fine in QGIS 2.18.
>
> This appears to be a regression related to subdatasets (sublayers). No
> dialog comes up asking the user which subdataset to load, and hence the
> load fails with a Provider is not Valid message.
>
> Only bug info I can find was an old patch that solved this 7 years ago:
> https://issues.qgis.org/issues/5041
>
> Here's a MODIS image in HDF5 for people to test with.
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hQEi3cRdVRlxih06nbo0gygAvJE08ft7
>
> A secondary, minor issue, the Browser doesn't see the file if it has an
> extension beyond .hdf, in this the case .h5 was what the user supplied.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> On 11/27/18 10:26, Alex M wrote:
>> Yes, please share with the group.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex
>>
>> On 11/27/18 10:20, Anabel Lamaro wrote:
>>>  Thank you very much for your answer. I use Windows 10 and I have just
>>> installed version 3.14 Madeira of the Qgis software. I enclose the error
>>> message in a screenshot. I'll see if I can send you a link to the image.
>>> Thank you very much Anabel

Re: HDF Bug [Was: Raster formats in Qgis 3.4]

Jorge Gustavo Rocha-3
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the example. I was able to read it without any problem (in
current QGIS master version).

I'm still using GDAL 2.2.3.

You can see the dialog at
https://gist.github.com/jgrocha/347e8fee0828d3c3176ed1644d76f897

I didn't trace the fix, but the problem is already solved (I think).

Regards,

Jorge Gustavo

Às 18:30 de 28/11/18, Alex M escreveu:

> On Qgis-user an issue was reported with loading HDF5 files in QGIS 3.4
> no Windows 10.
>
> I was able to confirm that HDF5 files fail in QGIS 3.4.1, on Linux also.
> Not just the user's file but file I also have. In both cases the files
> work fine in QGIS 2.18.
>
> This appears to be a regression related to subdatasets (sublayers). No
> dialog comes up asking the user which subdataset to load, and hence the
> load fails with a Provider is not Valid message.
>
> Only bug info I can find was an old patch that solved this 7 years ago:
> https://issues.qgis.org/issues/5041
>
> Here's a MODIS image in HDF5 for people to test with.
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hQEi3cRdVRlxih06nbo0gygAvJE08ft7
>
> A secondary, minor issue, the Browser doesn't see the file if it has an
> extension beyond .hdf, in this the case .h5 was what the user supplied.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> On 11/27/18 10:26, Alex M wrote:
>> Yes, please share with the group.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex
>>
>> On 11/27/18 10:20, Anabel Lamaro wrote:
>>>  Thank you very much for your answer. I use Windows 10 and I have just
>>> installed version 3.14 Madeira of the Qgis software. I enclose the error
>>> message in a screenshot. I'll see if I can send you a link to the image.
>>> Thank you very much Anabel

Logo*   Geomaster, LDA*
  *VENHA DESCOBRIR O CAMINHO DO OPEN SOURCE CONNOSC**O

*

Avenida Barros e Soares
N.º 423, 4715-214 Braga
VAT/NIF510 906 109
Phone  +351 253 680 323
Site       geomaster.pt <http://geomaster.pt>
GPS       41.53322, -8.41929

Jorge Gustavo Rocha
CTO

Mobile  +351 910 333 888
Email    [hidden email]

Re: HDF Bug [Was: Raster formats in Qgis 3.4]

Alex Mandel-2
Jorge,

Thanks for testing, after your note I tried on another machine 3.4.2 and
it works. However my original test machine did get the 3.4.2 update and
is still broken.

Both machines are Ubuntu 16.04, QGIS 3.2.4, GDAL 2.2.2
qgis.org + ubuntugis unstable repos

The only difference is the broken one is a chroot env, and not a full
system install. But to me that should be cleaner.

I'm going to try and find additional systems, maybe even windows and
test some more. If others on list can try that would be helpful too.

Thanks,
Alex