RFC1: Project Steering Committee Guidelines

RFC1: Project Steering Committee Guidelines

Ian Edwards
The pycsw [1], pywps [2] and pygeoapi [3] RFC pages all contain the phrase:

  The IETF adopts some of the proposals published as RFCs as Internet standards.

Is this intentional or should they be changed to something along the lines of:

  The pygeoapi project adopts some of the proposals published as RFCs when determining the future direction of the project.

Does anyone know the original source of the text (I can't find it at MapServer or at IETF)?

On Sun Oct 13 17:19:29 PDT 2019,  Tom Kralidis wrote:

> Hi all: as part of the process of setting up a project steering committee
> as well as an RFC framework I have drafted PSC guidelines in [1].  Note
> that much of the RFC borrows from the pycsw RFC/PSC framework (which
> itself borrowed from the MapServer equivalents).
>
> Given this the first RFC I will leave open for comments (feel free to comment
> here or on Gitter) until 20 October 2019, at which point the RFC will be put
> forth for vote to mint the PSC and bless the project RFC process.
>
> Thanks
>
> ..Tom
>
> [1] https://pygeoapi.io/development/rfc/1

Re: RFC1: Project Steering Committee Guidelines

Tom Kralidis
Hi Ian: thanks for the info.  Looks like this is rooted in [4].  I'm
fine with your proposed change or removing the first paragraph
from [1] [2] [3] (please feel free to submit pull requests).

Thanks

..Tom

[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Request_for_Comments

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 7:17 AM Ian Edwards <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The pycsw [1], pywps [2] and pygeoapi [3] RFC pages all contain the phrase:
>
>   The IETF adopts some of the proposals published as RFCs as Internet standards.
>
> Is this intentional or should they be changed to something along the lines of:
>
>   The pygeoapi project adopts some of the proposals published as RFCs when determining the future direction of the project.
>
> Does anyone know the original source of the text (I can't find it at MapServer or at IETF)?
>
> [1] https://pycsw.org/development/rfc/
> [2] https://pywps.org/development/rfcs/
> [3] https://pygeoapi.io/development/rfc/
>

> On Sun Oct 13 17:19:29 PDT 2019,  Tom Kralidis wrote:
> >
> > Hi all: as part of the process of setting up a project steering committee
> > as well as an RFC framework I have drafted PSC guidelines in [1].  Note
> > that much of the RFC borrows from the pycsw RFC/PSC framework (which
> > itself borrowed from the MapServer equivalents).
> >
> > Given this the first RFC I will leave open for comments (feel free to comment
> > here or on Gitter) until 20 October 2019, at which point the RFC will be put
> > forth for vote to mint the PSC and bless the project RFC process.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > ..Tom
> >
> > [1] https://pygeoapi.io/development/rfc/1

Re: RFC1: Project Steering Committee Guidelines

Ian Edwards
Good ol' Wikipedia....!

It looks like the most sensible route would be to just remove the sentence that mentions IETF.  On each of the RFC pages, the next paragraph describes clearly how the RFCs relate to their projects.

Standby for PRs for...