RFC for 2020 Budget

Dan Little-2
So much moose this week!

I've posted RFC-8 which contains our 2020 budget proposal to submit to the OSGeo Board.

Please comment and/or vote. Cheers, y'all!

It's not in the index right now, as I thought it may need revision but will make it there once we update the voting record / adoption status.

Re: RFC for 2020 Budget

Brian Fischer

Just a question on the budget.  What is the norm for OSGEO’s budget to projects?  Seems like the $800 for documentation and $500 for group event won’t go very far.  Wondering if we don’t try to request more like $2,500 or $3,000 and then have them tell us that is two much and they will only give a lesser amount.  Thoughts?

I would also suggest putting a little more detail in what the money would be used for.  It seems like this would give us a better chance at getting the money.

Brian Fischer

Project Manager - GIS  |  Principal

Houston Engineering, Inc.

O 763.493.4522 | D 763.493.6664 | F 763.493.5572

I've posted RFC-8 which contains our 2020 budget proposal to submit to the OSGeo Board.

Please comment and/or vote. Cheers, y'all!

It's not in the index right now, as I thought it may need revision but will make it there once we update the voting record / adoption status.

Re: RFC for 2020 Budget

blammo
In my experience, you just need to ask with a plan, and unless it’s way out oforder they will tend to grant your request.

For example, two years ago, I actually put in for $5k, but we could never follow through with grabbing the money at the time, but that number did end up in the buget request to the board.  Now, having said that, this was when they board was doling out the funds on request, vs dividing it up like now.  There does exist some wiggle room and if we can justify for a planned expense, it will go though.

There is also the channel of geeting some funds for the TCMUG (OSGeo local chapter) as well, which will be around the same amount of dollars.  We’ve been meeting regularly, and even started talking about formalizing the meeting a bit more with more demo, instructional stuff happening.

bobb

Think Before You Click: This email originated outside our organization.

RFC-8 can be found here: https://www.geomoose.org/rfc/rfc-8.html

It's not in the index right now, as I thought it may need revision but will make it there once we update the voting record / adoption status.

Re: RFC for 2020 Budget

Dan Little-2
So it's been pointed out to me that the RFC isn't strictly necessary for this and we have the budget laid out in the PSC vote (as noted on the wiki).

For _now_, I'm going to submit that budget but Brian's made some really informative points. FWIW, I think this type of discussion is indeed great to have asynchronously on the PSC list.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 5:59 PM James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 Jim K

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020, 16:01 Dan Little <[hidden email]> wrote:
So much moose this week!

I've posted RFC-8 which contains our 2020 budget proposal to submit to the OSGeo Board.

Please comment and/or vote. Cheers, y'all!

It's not in the index right now, as I thought it may need revision but will make it there once we update the voting record / adoption status.

Re: RFC for 2020 Budget

jody.garnett

Jody here,

I usually try to do 1/2 fundraising and 1/2 OSGeo budget for project activities. The “norm” started last year was to provide 2k operational budget to any project that asked - just to get folks used to the idea of thinking ahead.

Keep in mind that the board has a separate budget for code sprints, and groups like GeoForAll and Marketing committee have budget to help with other activities.
Jody

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 2:13 PM Brian Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Jody Garnett