RFC 135: Support Visual Studio 2012

12

RFC 135: Support Visual Studio 2012

Andy Zhang
Hi All,

I've put up a new RFC for review
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MapGuideRfc135

Please review and provide any comments or feedback. Thanks.

Best Regards
Andy

Re: RFC 135: Support Visual Studio 2012

Jackie Ng
Will these project files be configured for Windows XP re-targeting support (ie. Using the v110_xp platform toolset)?

- Jackie

Re: RFC 135: Support Visual Studio 2012

Greg Boone
Why create a new set of project files? Is there a plan to release separate 2010 and 2012 versions of MapGuide? Wouldn't any future 2010 release be undertaken from a previous release stream or sibling release stream?

The FDO team has no intent to release both 2010 and 2012 releases from the FDO Trunk once the port to VS2012 is made.

Greg

Please review and provide any comments or feedback. Thanks.

Best Regards
Andy

Re: RFC 135: Support Visual Studio 2012

Andy Zhang
Hi Greg,

Because I saw we kept VS 2008 files when poring both MGOS and FDO to VS 2010, I thought we need to keep VS 2010 files this time.
If there are no objections, it is OK for me to replace VS2010 files with new VS 2012 files.

Thanks
Andy

Why create a new set of project files? Is there a plan to release separate 2010 and 2012 versions of MapGuide? Wouldn't any future 2010 release be undertaken from a previous release stream or sibling release stream?

The FDO team has no intent to release both 2010 and 2012 releases from the FDO Trunk once the port to VS2012 is made.

Greg

Please review and provide any comments or feedback. Thanks.

Best Regards
Andy

Re: RFC 135: Support Visual Studio 2012

Jackie Ng
Before Microsoft announced a Windows Desktop Express SKU for VS 2012, I would've had issues with the VS 2010 project files being replaced.

But thankfully that's no longer the case. Moving to VS 2012 actually *simplifies* the build environment, as we no longer have to jump through many hoops involving the Windows SDK to get access to the 64-bit Visual C++ compiler if we want to build MapGuide with the free MS toolchain. Microsoft were kind enough to finally bundle the 64-bit C++ compiler with the Windows Desktop Express SKU.

So no objections from me :)

- Jackie

Re: RFC 135: Support Visual Studio 2012

Andy Zhang
Hi Jackie,

No. We will use v110 toolset.

Thanks
Andy

Will these project files be configured for Windows XP re-targeting support (ie. Using the v110_xp platform toolset)?

- Jackie

Re: RFC 135: Support Visual Studio 2012

Andy Zhang
Hi Experts,

I think the VS2008 solution and project files can be removed too. What's your opinion?

Best Regards
Andy

Please review and provide any comments or feedback. Thanks.

Best Regards
Andy

Re: RFC 135: Support Visual Studio 2012

Jackie Ng
I think it's safe to remove them. I rarely build trunk with VS2008 anymore. It'll simplify project file maintenance too.

- Jackie

Re: RFC 135: Support Visual Studio 2012

Greg Boone
Agreed.

I think it's safe to remove them. I rarely build trunk with VS2008 anymore.
It'll simplify project file maintenance too.

- Jackie

Re: RFC 135: Support Visual Studio 2012

Andy Zhang
Hi All,

I updated the RFC according to the feedbacks. Please review it again.
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MapGuideRfc135

Thanks
Andy

Re: RFC 135: Support Visual Studio 2012

Jackie Ng
Just occurred to me. I believe the binaries we're keeping under Oem\php\Release_TS and Oem\php\x64\Release_TS are VS2010 built ones.

Will we require VS2012 built copies of Apache and PHP as well as part of this RFC?

- Jackie

Re: RFC 135: Support Visual Studio 2012

Mars Wu
Previously, we did the upgrades (for PHP etc.) in a separate RFC. It happened that php binaries in MapGuide are built from different version of VC. It seems there is no cross-dll memory allocation and release so it should be safe to leave PHP built with VC10 and just upgrade MapGuide to VS12 first.

Thanks,
Mars

Just occurred to me. I believe the binaries we're keeping under Oem\php\Release_TS and Oem\php\x64\Release_TS are VS2010 built ones.

Will we require VS2012 built copies of Apache and PHP as well as part of this RFC?

- Jackie

Re: Motion RFC 135: Support Visual Studio 2012

Trevor Wekel
I suspect Apache and PHP will also require VS2012 recompilation.  I
agree with Mars that these should be handled in separate RFCs.
Upgrading the versions of Apache and PHP may be required to get "easy"
VS2012 support.

The easiest way to confirm is to do the MapGuide upgrade first.

Perhaps we should write a note in RFC 135 regarding potential
Apache/PHP RFCs for VS2012 recompilation?

I am ok with RFC 135.

Are we ready to vote?

On 2013-05-30, at 6:49 AM, Mars Wu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Previously, we did the upgrades (for PHP etc.) in a separate RFC. It happened that php binaries in MapGuide are built from different version of VC. It seems there is no cross-dll memory allocation and release so it should be safe to leave PHP built with VC10 and just upgrade MapGuide to VS12 first.
>
> Thanks,
> Mars

Haris Kurtagic
is it possible that even if we move to 2012 project/solution files,  we
keep configurations for 2010 ? We could use "Platfrom Toolset" project
configuration option to achieve that.

I am currently using this approach for my FDO builds, where I need to build
different versions of libs. Having different project files for different
studio builds is huge overhead.
I am also extensively using property sheets, for easy customization of the
configuration builds.

Haris

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 2:50 PM, Mars Wu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Previously, we did the upgrades (for PHP etc.) in a separate RFC. It
> happened that php binaries in MapGuide are built from different version of
> VC. It seems there is no cross-dll memory allocation and release so it
> should be safe to leave PHP built with VC10 and just upgrade MapGuide to
> VS12 first.
>
> Thanks,
> Mars

Hi Haris,

Could you please provide more detail about this? In my VS2012, we can select several platform toolsets including VS2010(v100), VS2012(v110) in project properties page. Do you mean we need to make the projects built successfully when we select VS2010(v100)?

Thanks
Andy

is it possible that even if we move to 2012 project/solution files,  we keep configurations for 2010 ? We could use "Platfrom Toolset" project configuration option to achieve that.

I am currently using this approach for my FDO builds, where I need to build different versions of libs. Having different project files for different studio builds is huge overhead.
I am also extensively using property sheets, for easy customization of the configuration builds.

Haris

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 2:50 PM, Mars Wu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Previously, we did the upgrades (for PHP etc.) in a separate RFC. It
> happened that php binaries in MapGuide are built from different
> version of VC. It seems there is no cross-dll memory allocation and
> release so it should be safe to leave PHP built with VC10 and just
> upgrade MapGuide to
> VS12 first.
>
> Thanks,
> Mars

Thank you Trevor.
I have added a note in RFC 135.

Thanks
Andy

On 2013-05-30, at 6:49 AM, Mars Wu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Previously, we did the upgrades (for PHP etc.) in a separate RFC. It happened that php binaries in MapGuide are built from different version of VC. It seems there is no cross-dll memory allocation and release so it should be safe to leave PHP built with VC10 and just upgrade MapGuide to VS12 first.
>
> Thanks,
> Mars

Hi Andy,
Sorry for late response, I was a offline for couple of days.

It would be great if initially it would build in previous VS compiler
versions too. I guess we could get benefits of moving  to use new Studio
and still doesn't need to do immediately support new compiler versions.

I believe one small thing, but important when comes to using solution and
project, is to setup such configuration properties for directories
(Output,Bin, Lib ..) so it includes platform toolset so it would be able to
support different compiler builds

Haris

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 7:06 AM, Andy Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Haris,

> achieve that.
> Could you please provide more detail about this? In my VS2012, we can
> select several platform toolsets including VS2010(v100), VS2012(v110) in
> project properties page. Do you mean we need to make the projects built
> successfully when we select VS2010(v100)?
>
> Thanks
> Andy

Thanks for your reply.
I updated the RFC to add the line below.
* We will add configurations such as 'Release v100' and 'Debug v100' which use platform toolset v100 for those who need to build v100 versions of files.

Are we ready for vote?

Best Regards
Andy

Sorry for late response, I was a offline for couple of days.

It would be great if initially it would build in previous VS compiler versions too. I guess we could get benefits of moving  to use new Studio and still doesn't need to do immediately support new compiler versions.

I believe one small thing, but important when comes to using solution and project, is to setup such configuration properties for directories (Output,Bin, Lib ..) so it includes platform toolset so it would be able to support different compiler builds

Haris

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 7:06 AM, Andy Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Haris,

> achieve that.
> Could you please provide more detail about this? In my VS2012, we can
> select several platform toolsets including VS2010(v100), VS2012(v110)
> in project properties page. Do you mean we need to make the projects
> built successfully when we select VS2010(v100)?
>
> Thanks
> Andy

thanks for adding to RFC. I am not sure from the text in RFC, it would be
good to have in project properties for output, intermediate and lib
directory to include $(PlatformToolset) macro
so insetad of (MG 2.2 )  ..\..\obj\release64\ServerCore to have like
..\..\obj\$(PlatformToolset)\release64\ServerCore
btw, personally i would also like to have instead of release configuration
macro etc..

Haris

12