REPROJECTION on the fly

jorgelopez
Hello everybody:

I am doing a web application using OpenLayers and geoserver. I have a layer published in GeoServer with EPSG:4326 and my map in OL is in EPSG:900913 (GOOGLE srs). I would like to know when Geoserver plays into role with reprojection issues.

Client reprojection is made when I requested a layer with 900913 and geoserver have it published in 4326.

When Geoserver would do it automatically ("on-the-fly")?? Although native SRS is 4326, I could declare a new SRS (900913) and reproject to declared, But this would be another layer, not the former layer with 4326, because It had to be published again.

In case of automatic reprojection, how can this be (controll) known with Firebug, for instance. I would say looking at response (XML; GML; formats) but could Geoserver give our layer in an SRS different to published one?

Thank you in advanced

Jorge