RE: New configuration problems

Trevor Wekel-3
Loading large resouces directly though Autodesk MapGuide Studio can be problematic.  The "hang" is probably due to the lengthy data transfer procedure.  First, Studio uses HTTP post to upload the entire resource to the web server.  The web server then transfers the resource to the MapGuide Server.  Finally, the MapGuide Server loads the resource.

Even with all components (Studio, Web, Server) on the same machine, this whole process can take a significant amount of time.  I have often seen "effective" load rates in the 3-5 MB/second range.  For a 150MB SHP file, is is reasonable to assume that it could take more than a minute to move the data around.  If any of the components time out during this period, the load will fail.

There is a better solution - Packages

1. In MapGuide Studio, instead of pressing the "Load Resources" button, use File... Package Spatial Data...   This will create an mgp package containing all of the data described in the Load Procedure.

2.  Copy the mgp package from the Studio machine to the Server machine and place it in the MapGuideOpenSource/Server/Packages directory.

3. Start Server Admin (http://localhost/mapguide/mapadmin/login.php) and go to the Load Packages page.  The mgp package should appear in the table and can be loaded using the Load Package link at the top of the table.

Hope this helps,

Trevor Wekel