RE: Ideas for Australian government agencies to get involvedin FOSS4G [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

RE: Ideas for Australian government agencies to get involvedin FOSS4G [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Ben.Searle
Message
Cameron,

This is good news.  I would like to put the wording on government agency involvement up on the OSDM web site.  So let me know when you and everybody else are happy with the words.

OSDM is also hosting a Spatial Data Management Group Meeting of senior government officers in a few weeks time and I would like to put FOSS4G on the Agenda and provide some material on this to the group.  I will seek your help in getting some material together if this is OK.

Regards

Ben Searle
General Manager, Office of Spatial Data Management
and
Group Leader, National Mapping & Information
Geospatial & Earth Monitoring Division
Geoscience Australia

Phone: 02 6249 9298
Mobile: 0439-995-785
Fax: 02 6249 9942
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Ideas for Australian government agencies to get involvedin FOSS4G [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Cameron Shorter
Ben,
It is good to hear your plans.

Putting FOSS4G on the table of the Spatial Data Management meeting will
raise a couple of issues which I don't think have been addressed by this
group.

As far as I'm aware, this group doesn't yet hold an opinion on Open
Source, or developing Open Standards in conjunction with the OGC. These
issues may need to be addressed your presentation to this group. I'd be
happy to support such a presentation.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254

Think Globally, Fix Locally

RE: Ideas for Australian government agencies to get involvedin FOSS4G [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Ben.Searle
Cameron,

I agree, the OSDM groups presently have no position or opinion on open source
or open standards other than general Australian government views on the use
of ICT standards and interoperability through AGIMO.  I am looking at running
a seminar for the OSDM committees including SDMG on a number of issues and
this would be a key one.  I would suggest that this is unlikely to be any
earlier than April at this stage, but would you be willing to give a 40
minute presentation on this 9and perhaps FOSS4G) in Canberra?