R and RStudio in winGRASS - testing welcome

R and RStudio in winGRASS - testing welcome

Helmut Kudrnovsky
hi,

in

New Revision: 66766

Modified:
   grass/trunk/mswindows/env.bat
Log:
env.bat: fix R temporarily set to %PATH% in windows

and

New Revision: 66768

Modified:
   grass/trunk/mswindows/env.bat
Log:
env.bat: set RStudio temporarily to %PATH% if it exists

I've modified winGRASS standalone in that way that R and RStudio can be invoked in the winGRASS terminal/command line during a GRASS session.

it should work like:

Cleaning up temporary files...
Starting GRASS GIS...
WARNING: Concurrent mapset locking is not supported on Windows

          __________  ___   __________    _______________
         / ____/ __ \/   | / ___/ ___/   / ____/  _/ ___/
        / / __/ /_/ / /| | \__ \\_  \   / / __ / / \__ \
       / /_/ / _, _/ ___ |___/ /__/ /  / /_/ // / ___/ /
       \____/_/ |_/_/  |_/____/____/   \____/___//____/

Welcome to GRASS GIS 7.1.svn (r66762)
GRASS GIS homepage:                      http://grass.osgeo.org
This version running through:            Command Shell (C:\windows\system32\cmd.
exe)
Help is available with the command:      g.manual -i
See the licence terms with:              g.version -c
If required, restart the GUI with:       g.gui wxpython
When ready to quit enter:                exit

Launching <wxpython> GUI in the background, please wait...
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

# start the R command line
C:\Users\myricaria>R

R version 3.2.1 (2015-06-18) -- "World-Famous Astronaut"
Copyright (C) 2015 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> q()
Save workspace image? [y/n/c]: n

# start the R GUI
C:\Users\xxxx>R GUI

# start RStudio
C:\Users\xxxx>rstudio

testing one o the upcoming GRASS GIS 7.1 (development, daily builds) [1] very welcome.

[1] http://wingrass.fsv.cvut.cz/grass71/
best regards
Helmut

Re: R and RStudio in winGRASS - testing welcome

Helmut Kudrnovsky
Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote
# start the R command line
C:\Users\myricaria>R

R version 3.2.1 (2015-06-18) -- "World-Famous Astronaut"
Copyright (C) 2015 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> q()
Save workspace image? [y/n/c]: n

# start the R GUI
C:\Users\xxxx>R GUI

# start RStudio
C:\Users\xxxx>rstudio

testing one o the upcoming GRASS GIS 7.1 (development, daily builds) [1] very welcome.

[1] http://wingrass.fsv.cvut.cz/grass71/
nice examples for testing:

https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/R_statistics/rgrass7#R_within_GRASS
best regards
Helmut

Re: R and RStudio in winGRASS - testing welcome

Veronica Andreo

Forgot to post also in the list for future  reference :)

> Hi again,
>
> I tested just now, and it works perfectly :)
>
> I used latest wingrass standalone installer (r66823) in windows 7, is it already also in OSGeo4W-winGRASS?
>
> This is awesome... hope everything could keep moving in the direction of making GRASS in Windows as great as it is in Linux :)
>
> Best and thanks!!!
> Vero

>> Hi Helmut!
>>
>> First of all, sorry for very late response... I was preparing a GRASS course and this week I was teaching it... :)
>>
>> It went fine (especially for first time being a teacher), but as I'm a linux GRASS user, I was a bit in a lost with windows issues... that's why I've been asking in the list... I remember seeing an email of yours suggesting this "clink" for windows command line to have bash-style command line editing... what happened with that?? any feedback?
>>
>> I'll try to test during these days what you mentioned, and let you know (will experiment on my mum's pc :D)
>>
>> Thanks for email and all your help!
>>
>> Best,
>> Vero

Re: R and RStudio in winGRASS - testing welcome

Markus Neteler
On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 5:30 PM, Veronica Andreo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Forgot to post also in the list for future  reference :)
>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> I tested just now, and it works perfectly :)
>>
>> I used latest wingrass standalone installer (r66823) in windows 7, is it
>> already also in OSGeo4W-winGRASS?
>>
>> This is awesome... hope everything could keep moving in the direction of
>> making GRASS in Windows as great as it is in Linux :)
>>
>> Best and thanks!!!
>> Vero

Great!
In r66837 I have backported the change to 7.0.svn (for 7.0.2).

The next OSGeo4W winGRASS 7.0 snapshot will contain the change, please
(also others) test.
Just run the OSGeo4W installer again and it will pick the updates.

Then we may release 7.0.2.

Markus

Re: R and RStudio in winGRASS - testing welcome

Helmut Kudrnovsky
Markus Neteler wrote

best regards
Helmut

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 5:34 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> at the moment the R and RStudio integration is only implemented in the
> standalone winGRASS installers; not yet in OSGeo4W, see
> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/413

From the ticket I don't understand what needs to be done and by whom...

best,
Markus

Re: R and RStudio in winGRASS - testing welcome

Helmut Kudrnovsky
Markus Neteler wrote
On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 5:34 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> at the moment the R and RStudio integration is only implemented in the
> standalone winGRASS installers; not yet in OSGeo4W, see
> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/413

From the ticket I don't understand what needs to be done and by whom...

best,
Markus
there are some nice files in our source (marked as external [1]) which ease the R-integration in windows command line/winGRASS command line in a quite easy way [2].

at the moment, these files aren't integrated in the OSGeo4W build of GRASS as these external files aren't part of any make/install process.

two possibilities:

(A) add these files to OSGeo4W itself and do some magic like [2]
(B) add these files to OSGeo4W-winGRASS and do some magic like [2]

regarding implementation:

(A) would need approval by OSGeo4W
(B) would need some effort on the GRASS side

another thing is adding RStudio to path [3]; that may be quite easy in OSGeo4W.

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/mswindows/external/rbatch
[2] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/mswindows/env.bat#L29
[3] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/mswindows/env.bat#L24
best regards
Helmut

Re: R and RStudio in winGRASS - testing welcome

Helmut Kudrnovsky
Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote
Markus Neteler wrote
On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 5:34 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> at the moment the R and RStudio integration is only implemented in the
> standalone winGRASS installers; not yet in OSGeo4W, see
> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/413

From the ticket I don't understand what needs to be done and by whom...

[...]

regarding RStudio to path in OSGeo4W-winGRASS:

I've added the same logic as in the standalone winGRASS installer by [1].

testing welcome.

if this works, open issue is then OSGeo4W-winGRASS-R-coupling as it works nicely in the standalone-winGRASS installer.

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-commit/2015-November/037740.html
best regards
Helmut

Re: R and RStudio in winGRASS - testing welcome

Veronica Andreo
Hi,

I've updated and calling rstudio from terminal works also for GRASS 7.1 from OSGeo4W :)
Nice!

Best,
Vero

Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote

-----

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Veronica Andreo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've updated and calling rstudio from terminal works also for GRASS 7.1 from
> OSGeo4W :)
> Nice!

Thanks for testing, Vero!

So I'll backport r66840, that seems to be sufficient, Helli?

Markus

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 2:06 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Veronica Andreo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've updated and calling rstudio from terminal works also for GRASS 7.1 from
>> OSGeo4W :)
>> Nice!
>
> Thanks for testing, Vero!
>
> So I'll backport r66840,