R: GML 3 application schema

Fabio Da Soghe
Hello everybody.

My name is Fabio Da Soghe and I'm a senior analist in Sysgroup, an italian GIS company which provides software and services to its customers.
We're in the process of building an integrated GIS solution completely based on OGC standards, and we rely heavily on GeoServer for this purpose. Our product will be proprietary but we are very enthusiastic about the open source approach and development process, so we will be happy to contribute what we can to projects like GeoServer. Actually we're in the studying phase so I think there will be time to discuss further such details.

I replayed to this email because also for us is very important the support for GML 3. In the experimental page on the web site there is a declaration about this, but could it be possible to know approximatively when you count to release it?

Thank you for any feedback and for this great product!

Best Regards,

Fabio Da Soghe

dat=121642

Re: R: GML 3 application schema

Chris Holmes-2
GeoServer can not currently be used to serve GML 3 application schemas.
  As part of OWS-4 we're going to be the reference implementation of WFS
1.1, which will require us to get to GML 3 Simple Features.  We were
hoping uDig would also do OWS-4, so we could collaborate and really hit
the new feature model which would let us do most any application schema.
  But unfortunately they did not.

So TOPP isn't sure that we can take the whole task on our own.

The current state is that a _lot_ of work has been done on the new
feature model, the last challenge that remains is to transition it to
GeoTools trunk.  We've been burned by not having enough resources to
pull this off right, as we need a number of hands making sure everything
comes off right.  My rough estimate to get things on to trunk right and
to get real GML 3 output schemas would cost about $60,000 from where we
stand.  TOPP has some cycles as part of OWS-4 to contribute to, so call
it $45,000.  But that's only if someone else can start at about the same
time.  Right now the effort is going along slowly as purely volunteer.

So the answer to 'when can we expect GML 3 in GeoServer?' is really it
depends on when the right resources emerge, at the right time.  Fabio,
if you guys could help out, in programmers or funding, let me know.
TOPP (my organization, and the maintainer and one of the drivers of
geoserver) just can't take the risk to do GML 3 on our own.  But if
others are able to contribute we can help out.  Though the reality of
the situation is that someone will likely have to come up with money to
pay refractions so that uDig can contribute and will successfully migrate.

Note that if we do get this on, it should be as good if not better than
just about anything out there.  It will have the ability to go from an
arbitrary sql statement to a known application schema, and to perform
quite well, passing filters back to the database.  There are mostly
working implementations on the complex_features branch.  We just need to
get them on trunk as _the_ implementation, which just needs a number of
people at once.  If we had 5-6 people working for 2-3 weeks we could
probably pull it off pretty easily.

best regards,

Chris

--
Chris Holmes
The Open Planning Project

cholmes.vcf (281 bytes) Download Attachment