Quick Print Plugin

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Quick Print Plugin

Tim Sutton
Hi All

In the absence of any objections, Ill be committing my quick print
plugins to trunk. The changes are all localised to the new plugins so
we can easily remove it again if anyone has substantial objections.
The plugin seeks to cater for users who want to print a map with no
hassle, and does not seek to replace the mapcomposer plugin which is
aimed at advanced users. Since I hate wasting paper / cutting down
trees, I have made the quick print plugin output to pdf for digital
redistribution or optionally printing from pdf.

Features;
 - fill in 3 fields, choose a pdf output file and get a pdf ready for printing
 - field values are remembered between uses so in most cases you
simply click the plugin icon then press OK
 - automatically scales label text and symbol sizes suitable for
printing and then scales them down again afterwards
 - at the moment all options (page size Letter, output pdf, layout)
are fixed as I prefer to keep it extremely simple in this iteration.
 - 300dpi output

Future options:

 - In the future it will be possible to refactor the plugin to support
simpled predefined layouts at different page sizes.
- autoincrementing filenames for when you want to produce a sequence of maps

Screenshots:
 - plugin ui: http://www.flickr.com/photos/timlinux/2180468498/
 - pdf output: http://www.flickr.com/photos/timlinux/2180728202/


Regards

--
Tim Sutton
QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release  Manager
Visit http://qgis.org for a great open source GIS
openModeller Desktop Developer
Visit http://openModeller.sf.net for a great open source ecological
niche modelling tool
Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net
_______________________________________________
Qgis-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quick Print Plugin

pcav
Tim Sutton ha scritto:
> Hi All
>
> In the absence of any objections, Ill be committing my quick print
> plugins to trunk. The changes are all localised to the new plugins so
> we can easily remove it again if anyone has substantial objections.
...
>  - at the moment all options (page size Letter, output pdf, layout)
> are fixed as I prefer to keep it extremely simple in this iteration.

Hi Tim.
Very nice idea, looking forward to test it. One note: as you know, here
in Europe we use A[0-5] paper size: any chance of having it as a default
(or option)? Or do you think the printout can equally well fit into an A4?
All the best.
pc
--
Paolo Cavallini, see: http://www.faunalia.it/pc
_______________________________________________
Qgis-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quick Print Plugin

Tim Sutton
Hi

Orignally I wrote it for A4 but certain USA folks complained that they
use Letter :-) Ive committed the plugin to trunk so if you could test
to see if it prints ok that would be great. Since it prints to pdf,
most pdf viewers have a 'fit to page' option you can use before
printing so hopefully it will not be a problem.

Regards

Tim

2008/1/9, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]>:

> Tim Sutton ha scritto:
> > Hi All
> >
> > In the absence of any objections, Ill be committing my quick print
> > plugins to trunk. The changes are all localised to the new plugins so
> > we can easily remove it again if anyone has substantial objections.
> ...
> >  - at the moment all options (page size Letter, output pdf, layout)
> > are fixed as I prefer to keep it extremely simple in this iteration.
>
> Hi Tim.
> Very nice idea, looking forward to test it. One note: as you know, here
> in Europe we use A[0-5] paper size: any chance of having it as a default
> (or option)? Or do you think the printout can equally well fit into an A4?
> All the best.
> pc
> --
> Paolo Cavallini, see: http://www.faunalia.it/pc
> _______________________________________________
> Qgis-developer mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
>


--
Tim Sutton
QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release  Manager
Visit http://qgis.org for a great open source GIS
openModeller Desktop Developer
Visit http://openModeller.sf.net for a great open source ecological
niche modelling tool
Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net
_______________________________________________
Qgis-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer