Questions on website

Andreas Neumann-3
Hi,

Sometimes I have questions on the website that Richard probably could answer me - but since he is not on PSC anymore I don't want to bother him always with some questions.

Who else can I ask on the PSC regarding technical questions on the website?

In this specific case I wonder what to do with this PR:

Also - there are lots of issues on the Website https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/issues where to me it seems no-one really feels responsible for.

I do believe that we should have one or better two people who feel responsible for the website, including maintenance of the Github repo, issues and PR of the website.

The current situation is far from ideal.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andreas

--
Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)

Re: Questions on website

pcav
Hi Andreas,
thanks for pointing this out

On 17/10/19 16:23, Andreas Neumann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sometimes I have questions on the website that Richard probably could
> answer me - but since he is not on PSC anymore I don't want to bother
> him always with some questions.
>
> Who else can I ask on the PSC regarding technical questions on the website?
>
> In this specific case I wonder what to do with this PR:
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/pull/685
>
> Also - there are lots of issues on the Website
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/issues where to me it seems no-one
> really feels responsible for.
>
> I do believe that we should have one or better two people who feel
> responsible for the website, including maintenance of the Github repo,
> issues and PR of the website.
>
> The current situation is far from ideal.
>
> Any ideas?

the only options I see are putting out a call for volunteers, or hiring
someone.
Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Questions on website

Marco Bernasocchi-2
Hi Andreas,

I took a look at half the issues and took a rather radical approach of
closing all very old issues/enhancements request (<2016) and prompting
for reopen if wished.  If nobody cared for them in 5-6 years they are
probably not needed.

when I'll have more time I'll check the rest.

Cheers

Marco

--
Marco Bernasocchi

QGIS.org Co-chair
http://berna.io

Re: Questions on website

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi Marco,

That's pretty aggressive - from the ones you closed I believe many are still relevant. If I opened such a request and someone else closed that without the issue being solved and the issue is still relevant, I'd be not so amused.

But we'll see how they react. Some issues are also definitely not relevant anymore.

Thanks anyway,

Andreas

Re: Questions on website

pcav
Hi all,
I agree with Andreas: amonge these there are velid suggestions, and real
problems. The fact that we were unable to solve or implement them does
not mean they are not valid. I suggest reverting it.
Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Questions on website

Alessandro Pasotti-2

A possible solution - if is there any budget left - would be to dedicate a few hours from the paid bugfixing time to the website issues, I have a strong web dev background and I can spend a few hours on it.
I only recommend to postpone that after the release, I think it's better to focus on the application bugs right now.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it

Re: Questions on website

DelazJ
Hi,

I recently had the same concern as Andreas with QGIS Documentation and asked our sys admins but did not get a clear answer on who should be the contact. Would be nice to know.
And the issues about improving the website also concern the docs website. So if there's a budget for backend fixes +1 for me (for what it's worth)

Regards,
Harrissou

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it

Re: Questions on website

Andreas Neumann-3
Hi Alessandro,

Yes, would be an option. We also have some budget for sysadmin work in our IT infrastructure. However, for the long run I think we should also find a mix with some volunteers (esp. also for improving the content of the website). Otherwise, I fear that it won't be sustainable to only rely on paid work.

Can you ping us (PSC) again after the release when you would have time working on the website?

Thanks,
Andreas

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 1:12 PM Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Alessandro,

Yes, would be an option. We also have some budget for sysadmin work in our IT infrastructure. However, for the long run I think we should also find a mix with some volunteers (esp. also for improving the content of the website). Otherwise, I fear that it won't be sustainable to only rely on paid work.

Yep, I totally agree. I think that the paid part might be just for the infrastructure work and fixing programming-related issues (js/css/build system etc.), I wasn't thinking about authoring content.

Can you ping us (PSC) again after the release when you would have time working on the website?

Sure thing, thank you.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it

Re: Questions on website

Marco Bernasocchi-2

Well I see your point, most enhancement requests were done in 2013 and
were never implemented, as said, I just closed and mentioned to reopen
if still relevant.  obviously feel free to reopen whatever you feel
should be open.

I've reopened the feature requests (even-though I don't really agree :)
), and mark them as low-priority. I rechecked all the other issues I had
closed and it still looks to me they should be closed.

Cheers

Marco

--
Marco Bernasocchi