Questions about QGIS

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Questions about QGIS

Yves Jacolin
Hi,

I am writing a presentation about QGIS for a treadshow next week (I am a
little bit late). This presentation aims to give some détail for 3
softwares : uDIG, GvSIG and QGIS, and so to give the possibility to compare
this software.

I am looking for some information about QGIS:

# Is it easy to create new plugin ? I think the developper need to know some
langage (C ?) and the QGIS API.  I followed the workshop at Lausanne and it
did not seem so difficulet, whereas I don't know anything about C/C++ :-/
# How does the project is managed ? Is there some companies which give money
or pay developpers ? it seems mrcc host the website ?
# What is the simpliest objectif for QGIS : give a **complete** software
**easy** to use ?
# About the futur of QGIS, the roadmap is not up to date on the wiki, do you
plan to update it ?

Thanks for your answers. I am sure QGIS will find the favour ;-)

Y.
--
Yves Jacolin
-------------
http://yjacolin.gloobe.org
http://softlibre.gloobe.org
_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Questions about QGIS

Gary Sherman-2
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1


On Mar 27, 2007, at 12:56 PM, Yves Jacolin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am writing a presentation about QGIS for a treadshow next week (I  
> am a
> little bit late). This presentation aims to give some détail for 3
> softwares : uDIG, GvSIG and QGIS, and so to give the possibility to  
> compare
> this software.
>
> I am looking for some information about QGIS:
>
> # Is it easy to create new plugin ? I think the developper need to  
> know some
> langage (C ?) and the QGIS API.  I followed the workshop at  
> Lausanne and it
> did not seem so difficulet, whereas I don't know anything about C/C+
> + :-/
Creating a plugin requires knowledge of C or C++, the QGIS API, and  
if it needs a GUI, Qt. With version 0.9 you will be able to write  
plugins using Python and PyQt. This capability current exists in the  
unstable development version of QGIS.

> # How does the project is managed ? Is there some companies which  
> give money
> or pay developpers ? it seems mrcc host the website ?
The project is managed by a 5 member Project Steering Committee.  
Donations for sponsoring development are accepted through the  
website.  You can see the list of sponsors at http://qgis.org/content/ 
view/131/105/

> # What is the simpliest objectif for QGIS : give a **complete**  
> software
> **easy** to use ?
QGIS focuses on ease of use and support for a wide range of vector  
and raster formats. We are adding geoprocessing and "true
GIS" capability through integration with GRASS, PostGIS, and plugins.

> # About the futur of QGIS, the roadmap is not up to date on the  
> wiki, do you
> plan to update it ?
QGIS is moving forward, but we sometimes don't find time to keep all  
the pieces (code, releases, documentation, website, wiki, blogs) up  
to date.
As time allows, we will update the roadmap and programmers API  
documentation.
>
> Thanks for your answers. I am sure QGIS will find the favour ;-)
For more information, QGIS has a blog and forums as well: http://
blog.qgis.org and http://forum.qgis.org


- -gary

>
> Y.
> --
> Yves Jacolin
> -------------
> http://yjacolin.gloobe.org
> http://softlibre.gloobe.org
> _______________________________________________
> Qgis-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user

- -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
Gary Sherman
Micro Resources: http://mrcc.com
   *Geospatial Hosting
   *Web Site Hosting
"We work virtually everywhere"
- -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-



-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (Darwin)

iD8DBQFGCc701zKuzV6goTgRAvozAJ9rOEJkTv8MqBBCNztgULxdo4hHRACfTJr3
KfjMZfrNJK0OOlC9nlBemAQ=
=pSqT
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Questions about QGIS

Yves Jacolin
Hi,

Many thanks for your answer.

I forgotted the devel blog ;-) For the other answer, it was what I think about
my reading of the wiki and other documentation.

Thanks again!

Y.
Le Mercredi 28 Mars 2007 04:12, Gary Sherman a écrit :

> On Mar 27, 2007, at 12:56 PM, Yves Jacolin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am writing a presentation about QGIS for a treadshow next week (I
> > am a
> > little bit late). This presentation aims to give some détail for 3
> > softwares : uDIG, GvSIG and QGIS, and so to give the possibility to
> > compare
> > this software.
> >
> > I am looking for some information about QGIS:
> >
> > # Is it easy to create new plugin ? I think the developper need to
> > know some
> > langage (C ?) and the QGIS API.  I followed the workshop at
> > Lausanne and it
> > did not seem so difficulet, whereas I don't know anything about C/C+
> > + :-/
>
> Creating a plugin requires knowledge of C or C++, the QGIS API, and
> if it needs a GUI, Qt. With version 0.9 you will be able to write
> plugins using Python and PyQt. This capability current exists in the
> unstable development version of QGIS.
>
> > # How does the project is managed ? Is there some companies which
> > give money
> > or pay developpers ? it seems mrcc host the website ?
>
> The project is managed by a 5 member Project Steering Committee.
> Donations for sponsoring development are accepted through the
> website.  You can see the list of sponsors at http://qgis.org/content/
> view/131/105/
>
> > # What is the simpliest objectif for QGIS : give a **complete**
> > software
> > **easy** to use ?
>
> QGIS focuses on ease of use and support for a wide range of vector
> and raster formats. We are adding geoprocessing and "true
> GIS" capability through integration with GRASS, PostGIS, and plugins.
>
> > # About the futur of QGIS, the roadmap is not up to date on the
> > wiki, do you
> > plan to update it ?
>
> QGIS is moving forward, but we sometimes don't find time to keep all
> the pieces (code, releases, documentation, website, wiki, blogs) up
> to date.
> As time allows, we will update the roadmap and programmers API
> documentation.
>
> > Thanks for your answers. I am sure QGIS will find the favour ;-)
>
> For more information, QGIS has a blog and forums as well: http://
> blog.qgis.org and http://forum.qgis.org
>
>
> -gary
>
> > Y.
> > --
> > Yves Jacolin
> > -------------
> > http://yjacolin.gloobe.org
> > http://softlibre.gloobe.org
> > _______________________________________________
> > Qgis-user mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
>
> -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
> Gary Sherman
> Micro Resources: http://mrcc.com
>    *Geospatial Hosting
>    *Web Site Hosting
> "We work virtually everywhere"
> -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

--
Yves Jacolin
-------------
http://yjacolin.gloobe.org
http://softlibre.gloobe.org
_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user