Questions / Remarks to Calgary proposal

Till Adams-3

Dear Calgary Team!

I open the question round on step 2 of RfP with these two questions:

  • "The remaining 50% of profit will be held in-trust by TECTERRA and used as a travel grant program for Alberta-based students to travel to future international FOSS4G events (Page 40):

In the FOSS4G cookbook [1] it is not clearly defined, how much of the revenue has to be passed back to OSGeo, but there is a not yet decided proposal that 85% of a FOSS4G surplus goes to OSGeo. The idea to hold 50% in order to setup a dedicated travel grant programme for Alberta people for future OSGeo events only sounds little strange to me - especially as there is an official travel grant programme of OSGeo. Can you please explain your ideas behind that a bit more?

  • Finances

Your calculation is based between 24-30% on sponsorship - depending on scenario "LOW" or "GOAL". Even when regarding the already signed sponsorships, in any case there is a need to sign at least a sum of 150k more sponsorship-money, in order to reach a balanced budget. Do you have an emergency plan, what happens if something unexpected may happen or what to do when missing your sponsorship goal?

I also put the questions into the WIKI [2]. Please put your answers also there.

Regards, Till

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook#Finances, bullet (7)

[2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2020_Q%26A_2_Calgary

Re: Questions / Remarks on Calgary proposal

stevenfeldman
Hi Calgary team

Thanks for your great proposal

Following on from Till’s questions here are a few more from me:

  1. In your vision statement you say that FOOS4G will be “...a catalyst to foster the democratization of opportunity that open-sources represents for creators at every scale…” Could you explain further (particularly for people on this list for whom English is not their first language)
  2. Can you confirm that although visas are not required for some countries an ETA will be required?
  3. Can you provide clarity on whether you will be videoing and/or streaming all or some of the conference streams? Is this provided for in your budget?
  4. Your budget has a high dependency on sponsorship, what are your contingencies if your target is not achieved?
  5. If you do not receive specific funding for the gala evening what will be the charge to delegates in USD?
  6. Can you confirm that you will not be seeking any seed funding or guarantees from OSGeo?
  7. You appear to make very little additional profit from higher levels of attendance. Can you explain?
  8. Is there any option to reduce the costs of catering to either reduce ticket prices or increase surplus?
  9. Is the 50% share of surplus contribution to OSGeo negotiable?
  10. The co-hosting alongside Inventure$ 2020 radically changes your budget and proposal. Can you provide some more detailed info on this opportunity and clarify whether this is your preference ()and if so why you did not base your proposal around it?)
  11. Can you confirm that the workshop fee of US $200 ids for 2 full days of workshops. Is there an option for attendees to register for only 1 or 2 workshops individually?
  12. Can you confirm whether you are offering a discount on delegate fees to workshop presenters?
  13. In your budget you have a line for printing a programme. Can you explain? (in the last 2 years we have had digital programmes)
  14. You make no mention of producing a conference t-shirt or the costs, is that correct or have I missed it?
  15. You mention a Travel Grant Programme - is this the OSGeo TGP initiative or one that will be run independently by your LOC?
  16. Can you confirm that any funds allocated to a TGP (your own or the OSGeo one) will be used for travel and subsistence support and that all TGP recipients will receive a free conference pass in addition (i.e the TGP funds will not be used to cover delegate passes)?

I’ve dropped a copy of these questions into the wiki at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2020_Q%26A_2_Calgary - it’s probably easier for everyone reviewing if you post your answers to the wiki rather than stretching this mail trail.

Cheers
______
Steven

On 26 Nov 2018, at 07:16, Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

michael terner-2
These questions are also posted on the Wiki site...

Thanks for all the hard work on your excellent and comprehensive proposal. A few questions:
  • In the narrative and budget details document I didn't find any mention of a Professional Conference Organizer (PCO) which has been a component, and expense of recent conferences. Will there be a PCO? If so, how, and at what level will they be funded?
  • Under Section IV.V Seed Funding, there is some mention of TECTERRA providing "in-kind contributions of staff time for planning and hosting the event". Is this the equivalent of a PCO? If so, is there an estimate of the value of this in-kind contribution (as that will help to understand level of PCO-like support that might be available)? Will TECTERRA be providing PCO-like services such as banking, registration system, abstract collection/scoring system, support staff (e.g., registration and setup), administration of the mobile app, etc., during the event?
Again, congratulations and a great and compelling proposal. Good luck...

MT

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 10:18 AM Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Michael Terner
(M) 978-631-6602

Michael Terners Questions / Remarks on Calgary proposal - please answer

Till Adams-3

Dear Calgary team!

although the questions from Michael came in late yesterday and although you already sent your final statement - the questions came in in time, so could you please answer to these quesitons too (it's already on the WIKI)?

I will give a note to wait to all voting menbers when calling for the vote.

Thanks & good luck!

Till

Am 05.12.18 um 23:57 schrieb michael terner:
[...]

Re: Michael Terners Questions / Remarks on Calgary proposal - please answer

JonathanNeufeld

Hi Till,

Thank you very much – we’ll provide an answer before noon today (local time)

Cheers,
Jon

Re: Questions / Remarks on Calgary proposal

JonathanNeufeld

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the questions.

In the narrative and budget details document I didn't find any mention of a Professional Conference Organizer (PCO) which has been a component, and expense of recent conferences. Will there be a PCO? If so, how, and at what level will they be funded?

·         The Calgary LOC has decided not to use a professional conference organizer company.

Under Section IV.V Seed Funding, there is some mention of TECTERRA providing "in-kind contributions of staff time for planning and hosting the event". Is this the equivalent of a PCO? If so, is there an estimate of the value of this in-kind contribution (as that will help to understand level of PCO-like support that might be available)? Will TECTERRA be providing PCO-like services such as banking, registration system, abstract collection/scoring system, support staff (e.g., registration and setup), administration of the mobile app, etc., during the event?

TECTERRA will be providing PCO-like services including banking, registration, abstract management etc.  As a government-funded non-profit TECTERRA is focused on advancing and growing the geomatics community and has in-house experience in running events at this size. We estimate that over the organizing and operating period of the FOSS4G 2020 event TECTERRA staff would contribute:

-          Marketing Communications Manager @ 0.5 FTE

-          Marketing Communications Specialist @ 0.25 FTE

-          Director of Programs @ 0.10 FTE

-          CEO @ 0.10 FTE

-          CFO @ 0.10 FTE

This in-kind contribution is in addition to the volunteer contributions of the other members of the Calgary LOC.

Please note that neither TECTERRA nor anyone else on the Calgary Organizing Committee would be receiving payment for their work on FOSS4G 2020 from the FOSS4G budget. Any work provided by TECTERRA staff will be paid for by TECTERRA.

I’ve also updated the wiki.

Cheers,

Jon