Question: share attendee list ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Question: share attendee list ?

Till Adams-3
Dear ConfComm,

I want to discuss and listen to your opinions regarding the following
issue:
Boston asked me to share our attendee list with them, so they can
contact our attendees and deliver their news to them.

As all non-americans among us might know, we have strict privacy laws
here in Europe. So this is one point and another one is, that we do not
know, whether participants of F4G 2016 are happy to get contacted by the
Boston team. Some of them may, some not. It's even unsure that those,
that registered for Bonn and checked the box, that they want to get
updates from us really like to get contacted from the next team.
And - as said - I am kind of unsure, how the legal position is, when I
pass the list over...

Do not understand me wrong: I support the Boston team on all questions
and I am happy to help them, but before passing over the list, I'd like
to know about your positions.
Perhaps we also can derive some rules on how to proceed with the
attendees lists in the following years?


Kind regards & happy Chrismas to everybody,

Till
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question: share attendee list ?

stevenfeldman
We went through this discussion last year and I’m not sure whether we reached a conclusion.

I am in favour of passing 2016 names to 2017 team but I recognise that data protection rules are a constraint. I see 2 options (others may chip in with more)
  1. Provide the names of all people that ‘ticked the box’ in 2016 - possibly Boston team should send their first mail to this group with an explanation of why they are receiving the mail and an optout
  2. Send one mail to all of the 2016 names saying that we would like to pass their details to Boston team and giving them the option to opt out by replying ‘unsubscribe’ plus they will always have the option to opt out in the future

It would be much easier if OSGeo had a mailchimp or equivalent service that could handle lists and opt outs etc and track mailings, the service could be used by all our global and regional events. A mail chimp account would cost $50/month for up to 5,000 mail recipients (< 2,000 is free)
______
Steven


On 20 Dec 2016, at 10:21, [hidden email] wrote:

Dear ConfComm,

I want to discuss and listen to your opinions regarding the following issue:
Boston asked me to share our attendee list with them, so they can contact our attendees and deliver their news to them.

As all non-americans among us might know, we have strict privacy laws here in Europe. So this is one point and another one is, that we do not know, whether participants of F4G 2016 are happy to get contacted by the Boston team. Some of them may, some not. It's even unsure that those, that registered for Bonn and checked the box, that they want to get updates from us really like to get contacted from the next team.
And - as said - I am kind of unsure, how the legal position is, when I pass the list over...

Do not understand me wrong: I support the Boston team on all questions and I am happy to help them, but before passing over the list, I'd like to know about your positions.
Perhaps we also can derive some rules on how to proceed with the attendees lists in the following years?


Kind regards & happy Chrismas to everybody,

Till
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question: share attendee list ?

Till Adams-3
Hi Steven, ConfComm, @Boston-team,

(I included BLOC, as they are the directly affected)

@Steven, thanks to jump in here. I digged a little deeper and although
the system we used for registration is not available any more, I am
quite sure (and found some text drafts for this), that we declared not
to hand over the personal data for registration to anybody else. So this
excludes your proposed first option and also to hand over the full list
to Boston. Sorry for that.


I think we could do the following:
We, Bonn team,  will write one last email, reaching out all the
attendees, give them some last facts about F4G'16, include links on
articles about F4G 2016 on several platforms, attach a few selected but
really nice pictures and thank them all for their attendance. In this
email we will hint the people to Boston and the possibility to actively
ask for news about F4G'17. So people can actively get in touch with the
Boston team and request for further information about F4G'17.

Personally I do not like the platforms, where I have to un-check the
pre-checked box "Please send me advertising and further information",
even if you have the opportunity to optout. The end of the story is:
You have to be aware and active, otherwise you get the
information/advertising/whatever-spam.
I prefer the other way around: If people do nothing, they do not get
anything.


So for the general proceeding on this topic I would propose the
following:
First, I would ask BLOC (I like this and really wonder, why we did not
have this idea before ;-)) to deliver an "optin" link and leave the
technical proceeding on this to them.
Second we can ask BLOC to include a(n un-)checked checkbox in their
registration form "Keep me up to date about upcoming F4G events" which
includes to at least pass over their email-adress to future teams. In
any information any future F4G team send out, people get the chance to
optout.

For the technical stuff I see the problem you lined out. That should be
solved in either way.... just some thoughts on this:
The mailchimp also needs kind of "administrator" ....
A perhaps not perfect but very easy and easy-to-realize solution would
be to create a new mailing list "FOSS4G News" and ask people to
register, if they want get the news-feed.
So every future team can use this address to post their news on their
event.


Any comments?

Regards, Till



Am 2016-12-20 12:11, schrieb Steven Feldman:

> We went through this discussion last year and I’m not sure whether
> we reached a conclusion.
>
> I am in favour of passing 2016 names to 2017 team but I recognise
> that
> data protection rules are a constraint. I see 2 options (others may
> chip in with more)
>
> * Provide the names of all people that ‘ticked the box’ in 2016 -
> possibly Boston team should send their first mail to this group with
> an explanation of why they are receiving the mail and an optout
> * Send one mail to all of the 2016 names saying that we would like
> to
> pass their details to Boston team and giving them the option to opt
> out by replying ‘unsubscribe’ plus they will always have the
> option to opt out in the future
>
> It would be much easier if OSGeo had a mailchimp or equivalent
> service
> that could handle lists and opt outs etc and track mailings, the
> service could be used by all our global and regional events. A mail
> chimp account would cost $50/month for up to 5,000 mail recipients (<
> 2,000 is free)
>  ______
> Steven
>
>> On 20 Dec 2016, at 10:21, [hidden email] [1] wrote:
>>
>> Dear ConfComm,
>>
>> I want to discuss and listen to your opinions regarding the
>> following issue:
>> Boston asked me to share our attendee list with them, so they can
>> contact our attendees and deliver their news to them.
>>
>> As all non-americans among us might know, we have strict privacy
>> laws here in Europe. So this is one point and another one is, that
>> we do not know, whether participants of F4G 2016 are happy to get
>> contacted by the Boston team. Some of them may, some not. It's even
>> unsure that those, that registered for Bonn and checked the box,
>> that they want to get updates from us really like to get contacted
>> from the next team.
>> And - as said - I am kind of unsure, how the legal position is, when
>> I pass the list over...
>>
>> Do not understand me wrong: I support the Boston team on all
>> questions and I am happy to help them, but before passing over the
>> list, I'd like to know about your positions.
>> Perhaps we also can derive some rules on how to proceed with the
>> attendees lists in the following years?
>>
>> Kind regards & happy Chrismas to everybody,
>>
>> Till
>> _______________________________________________
>> Conference_dev mailing list
>> [hidden email] [2]
>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>
>
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
> [2] mailto:[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question: share attendee list ?

Michael Terner
+ Boston LOC list

Till & Steven:
Thanks for taking our request seriously. We understand, and absolutely respect the personal data and privacy issues associated with email and registration lists. And we will accept and appreciate whatever you feel you are able to do in this regard. We just wanted to update you and the list with several things we're planning and doing already and that pertain to this topic:
  1. We have secured a paid MailChimp account for FOSS4G 2017. We received access to the Bonn MailChimp account through the marketing team (Marc, Gert) and have successfully imported the several thousand email that were assembled through various opt-ins over the years.
  2. MailChimp has explicit rules about how to use their service, and they do not want to be known as a SPAM platform (they'd probably say a "keeping in touch platform"). These include providing a good, working unsubscribe on all correspondence and tracking the opt-outs. We will absolutely follow their rules.
  3. As of last night, we did our first outbound message to that list (with an unfortunate type-o in our attribution block that has now been corrected in our template [and that Venka alerted us to]). Among other things this is the first announcement that Richard Stallman is one of our keynotes; and this message includes the clear MailChimp unsubscribe.
  4. We have also assembled a supplementary list from a variety of sources - e.g., other conference and trade organization lists; Open Source project members; etc. - and we will be doing a single, outbound message to these people. Unlike the message in #3, this message to this list will include only a request for an explicit "opt-in" (e.g., click here to join our list) and those people who opt-in will be added to the master MailChimp list. Those who do not opt-in, will not hear from us again.
  5. We strongly support Till's proposed approach of having the Bonn Team send a "farewell notice" that includes the opportunity to "opt in" to the Boston mailing list. That sounds like a perfect solution and we'd be pleased to provide you the opt-in link (which is already on our web-site, and points to this location on the OSGeo web-site) or anything else you need from us.
  6. Steven's suggestions for our own registration page make good sense, i.e., let registrants "opt-in" to correspondence from future conferences during registration. We will work with our PCO to make sure their registration system can support that.
Ultimately, we believe that most of the people who attended Bonn are on the "already opted in" master MailChimp list. One of our interests in the registration list is just tracking things like people who have attended/registered for both conferences in an effort to fully understand the attendee base (i.e., it's not just for sending outbound email).

Thanks again for your support...

MT


On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 7:27 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Steven, ConfComm, @Boston-team,

(I included BLOC, as they are the directly affected)

@Steven, thanks to jump in here. I digged a little deeper and although the system we used for registration is not available any more, I am quite sure (and found some text drafts for this), that we declared not to hand over the personal data for registration to anybody else. So this excludes your proposed first option and also to hand over the full list to Boston. Sorry for that.


I think we could do the following:
We, Bonn team,  will write one last email, reaching out all the attendees, give them some last facts about F4G'16, include links on articles about F4G 2016 on several platforms, attach a few selected but really nice pictures and thank them all for their attendance. In this email we will hint the people to Boston and the possibility to actively ask for news about F4G'17. So people can actively get in touch with the Boston team and request for further information about F4G'17.

Personally I do not like the platforms, where I have to un-check the pre-checked box "Please send me advertising and further information", even if you have the opportunity to optout. The end of the story is:
You have to be aware and active, otherwise you get the information/advertising/whatever-spam.
I prefer the other way around: If people do nothing, they do not get anything.


So for the general proceeding on this topic I would propose the following:
First, I would ask BLOC (I like this and really wonder, why we did not have this idea before ;-)) to deliver an "optin" link and leave the technical proceeding on this to them.
Second we can ask BLOC to include a(n un-)checked checkbox in their registration form "Keep me up to date about upcoming F4G events" which includes to at least pass over their email-adress to future teams. In any information any future F4G team send out, people get the chance to optout.

For the technical stuff I see the problem you lined out. That should be solved in either way.... just some thoughts on this:
The mailchimp also needs kind of "administrator" ....
A perhaps not perfect but very easy and easy-to-realize solution would be to create a new mailing list "FOSS4G News" and ask people to register, if they want get the news-feed.
So every future team can use this address to post their news on their event.


Any comments?

Regards, Till



Am 2016-12-20 12:11, schrieb Steven Feldman:
We went through this discussion last year and I’m not sure whether
we reached a conclusion.

I am in favour of passing 2016 names to 2017 team but I recognise that
data protection rules are a constraint. I see 2 options (others may
chip in with more)

        * Provide the names of all people that ‘ticked the box’ in 2016 -
possibly Boston team should send their first mail to this group with
an explanation of why they are receiving the mail and an optout
        * Send one mail to all of the 2016 names saying that we would like to
pass their details to Boston team and giving them the option to opt
out by replying ‘unsubscribe’ plus they will always have the
option to opt out in the future

It would be much easier if OSGeo had a mailchimp or equivalent service
that could handle lists and opt outs etc and track mailings, the
service could be used by all our global and regional events. A mail
chimp account would cost $50/month for up to 5,000 mail recipients (<
2,000 is free)
 ______
Steven

On 20 Dec 2016, at 10:21, [hidden email] [1] wrote:

Dear ConfComm,

I want to discuss and listen to your opinions regarding the
following issue:
Boston asked me to share our attendee list with them, so they can
contact our attendees and deliver their news to them.

As all non-americans among us might know, we have strict privacy
laws here in Europe. So this is one point and another one is, that
we do not know, whether participants of F4G 2016 are happy to get
contacted by the Boston team. Some of them may, some not. It's even
unsure that those, that registered for Bonn and checked the box,
that they want to get updates from us really like to get contacted
from the next team.
And - as said - I am kind of unsure, how the legal position is, when
I pass the list over...

Do not understand me wrong: I support the Boston team on all
questions and I am happy to help them, but before passing over the
list, I'd like to know about your positions.
Perhaps we also can derive some rules on how to proceed with the
attendees lists in the following years?

Kind regards & happy Chrismas to everybody,

Till
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email] [2]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev



Links:
------
[1] mailto:[hidden email]
[2] mailto:[hidden email]




--
Michael Terner
Executive Vice President
<a href="tel:(617)%20447-2468" value="+16174472468" target="_blank">617-447-2468 Direct | <a href="tel:(617)%20447-2400" value="+16174472400" target="_blank">617-447-2400 Main
Applied Geographics, Inc.
24 School Street, Suite 500
Boston, MA 02108

www.AppGeo.com
Celebrating our 25th Anniversary 

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy, distribute, disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and material in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo).
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question: share attendee list ?

Maria Antonia Brovelli
In reply to this post by stevenfeldman

Dear Till, Steven and all

the privacy laws (at least in Italy) require that you have the approval of the person for providing their email. In my opinion you can do that, after having sent an email to all people,  for those who reply positively.

If somebody doesn't react, this is not sufficient to say that you can pass his/her email.

Best regards, 

Maria





----------------------------------------------------
Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Vice Rector for Como Campus and GIS Professor
Politecnico di Milano

ISPRS WG IV/4"Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)" http://www2.isprs.org/commissions/comm4/wg4.html


OSGeo; ICA-OSGeo-ISPRS Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET 

Sol Katz Award 2015

 

Via Natta, 12/14 - 22100 COMO (ITALY)

Tel. +39-031-3327336 - Mob. +39-328-0023867 - fax. +39-031-3327321

e-mail1: [hidden email][hidden email]

e-mail2: [hidden email]




 




Da: Conference_dev <[hidden email]> per conto di Steven Feldman <[hidden email]>
Inviato: martedì 20 dicembre 2016 12.11
A: ConfCom
Oggetto: Re: [OSGeo-Conf] Question: share attendee list ?
 
We went through this discussion last year and I’m not sure whether we reached a conclusion.

I am in favour of passing 2016 names to 2017 team but I recognise that data protection rules are a constraint. I see 2 options (others may chip in with more)
  1. Provide the names of all people that ‘ticked the box’ in 2016 - possibly Boston team should send their first mail to this group with an explanation of why they are receiving the mail and an optout
  2. Send one mail to all of the 2016 names saying that we would like to pass their details to Boston team and giving them the option to opt out by replying ‘unsubscribe’ plus they will always have the option to opt out in the future

It would be much easier if OSGeo had a mailchimp or equivalent service that could handle lists and opt outs etc and track mailings, the service could be used by all our global and regional events. A mail chimp account would cost $50/month for up to 5,000 mail recipients (< 2,000 is free)
______
Steven


On 20 Dec 2016, at 10:21, [hidden email] wrote:

Dear ConfComm,

I want to discuss and listen to your opinions regarding the following issue:
Boston asked me to share our attendee list with them, so they can contact our attendees and deliver their news to them.

As all non-americans among us might know, we have strict privacy laws here in Europe. So this is one point and another one is, that we do not know, whether participants of F4G 2016 are happy to get contacted by the Boston team. Some of them may, some not. It's even unsure that those, that registered for Bonn and checked the box, that they want to get updates from us really like to get contacted from the next team.
And - as said - I am kind of unsure, how the legal position is, when I pass the list over...

Do not understand me wrong: I support the Boston team on all questions and I am happy to help them, but before passing over the list, I'd like to know about your positions.
Perhaps we also can derive some rules on how to proceed with the attendees lists in the following years?


Kind regards & happy Chrismas to everybody,

Till
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question: share attendee list ?

Eli Adam
In reply to this post by Till Adams-3
Hi all,

The email list which has been accumulated since 2007 or before has
been one of the primary inputs that leads to annual success of FOSS4G.
Each year it has been passed on. Boston should get the list from 2015
if not 2016.  Also, let's change the 2019 RFP to include list
continuity.

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 4:27 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Steven, ConfComm, @Boston-team,
>
> (I included BLOC, as they are the directly affected)
>
> @Steven, thanks to jump in here. I digged a little deeper and although the
> system we used for registration is not available any more, I am quite sure
> (and found some text drafts for this), that we declared not to hand over the
> personal data for registration to anybody else. So this excludes your
> proposed first option and also to hand over the full list to Boston. Sorry
> for that.
>

This page seems to allow contact by email as well as transfer.
http://2016.foss4g.org/registration.html#tac


>
> I think we could do the following:
> We, Bonn team,  will write one last email, reaching out all the attendees,
> give them some last facts about F4G'16, include links on articles about F4G
> 2016 on several platforms, attach a few selected but really nice pictures
> and thank them all for their attendance. In this email we will hint the
> people to Boston and the possibility to actively ask for news about F4G'17.
> So people can actively get in touch with the Boston team and request for
> further information about F4G'17.

The Bonn LOC can decide what to do but they should do whatever they
can to pass on the list (or at the very least encourage people to
re-subscribe).

>
> Personally I do not like the platforms, where I have to un-check the
> pre-checked box "Please send me advertising and further information", even
> if you have the opportunity to optout. The end of the story is:
> You have to be aware and active, otherwise you get the
> information/advertising/whatever-spam.
> I prefer the other way around: If people do nothing, they do not get
> anything.
>

In 2014, we considered the annual global FOSS4G to be the same event
as previous years and subsequent years.  We specify this in our policy
making it entirely clear, "Your personal information is shared with
future FOSS4G events and these are considered to be the same entity,
even though they are run by a different committee.",
http://2014.foss4g.org/about/privacy-policy/index.html

I also consider 2016 to be the same global FOSS4G event.  The LOC was
merely the caretaker for one year.


>
> So for the general proceeding on this topic I would propose the following:
> First, I would ask BLOC (I like this and really wonder, why we did not have
> this idea before ;-)) to deliver an "optin" link and leave the technical
> proceeding on this to them.

Real changes will happen in the 2019 RFP.  We can ask things of BLOC
but they are largely free to do what they want.


> Second we can ask BLOC to include a(n un-)checked checkbox in their
> registration form "Keep me up to date about upcoming F4G events" which
> includes to at least pass over their email-adress to future teams. In any
> information any future F4G team send out, people get the chance to optout.

I strongly disagree with this.  Global FOSS4G is the same event and
people should be automatically signed up for information on the same
event.  Email continuity from year to year for the same event.  If the
Bonn LOC was running the conference again, surely the list would be
reused since it is the same event.

Yes, definitely on an easy and obvious optout/unsubscribe from every
communication.  That is just basic good practice and probably the law
in most places.


>
> For the technical stuff I see the problem you lined out. That should be
> solved in either way.... just some thoughts on this:
> The mailchimp also needs kind of "administrator" ....
> A perhaps not perfect but very easy and easy-to-realize solution would be to
> create a new mailing list "FOSS4G News" and ask people to register, if they
> want get the news-feed.
> So every future team can use this address to post their news on their event.
>
>
> Any comments?

Lots, :).  I think the fundamental discussion is whether the annual
global FOSS4G event is the same event or not.  Determining this will
help us decide on the path forward.  Once we decide, we can clarify in
the RFP for future years.  What are your thoughts on whether it is the
same event?  Separate from any obligations the Bonn LOC may have
created for themselves and have to fulfill.

Best regards, Eli

>
> Regards, Till
>
>
>
> Am 2016-12-20 12:11, schrieb Steven Feldman:
>>
>> We went through this discussion last year and I’m not sure whether
>> we reached a conclusion.
>>
>> I am in favour of passing 2016 names to 2017 team but I recognise that
>> data protection rules are a constraint. I see 2 options (others may
>> chip in with more)
>>
>>         * Provide the names of all people that ‘ticked the box’ in 2016 -
>> possibly Boston team should send their first mail to this group with
>> an explanation of why they are receiving the mail and an optout
>>         * Send one mail to all of the 2016 names saying that we would like
>> to
>> pass their details to Boston team and giving them the option to opt
>> out by replying ‘unsubscribe’ plus they will always have the
>> option to opt out in the future
>>
>> It would be much easier if OSGeo had a mailchimp or equivalent service
>> that could handle lists and opt outs etc and track mailings, the
>> service could be used by all our global and regional events. A mail
>> chimp account would cost $50/month for up to 5,000 mail recipients (<
>> 2,000 is free)
>>  ______
>> Steven
>>
>>> On 20 Dec 2016, at 10:21, [hidden email] [1] wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear ConfComm,
>>>
>>> I want to discuss and listen to your opinions regarding the
>>> following issue:
>>> Boston asked me to share our attendee list with them, so they can
>>> contact our attendees and deliver their news to them.
>>>
>>> As all non-americans among us might know, we have strict privacy
>>> laws here in Europe. So this is one point and another one is, that
>>> we do not know, whether participants of F4G 2016 are happy to get
>>> contacted by the Boston team. Some of them may, some not. It's even
>>> unsure that those, that registered for Bonn and checked the box,
>>> that they want to get updates from us really like to get contacted
>>> from the next team.
>>> And - as said - I am kind of unsure, how the legal position is, when
>>> I pass the list over...
>>>
>>> Do not understand me wrong: I support the Boston team on all
>>> questions and I am happy to help them, but before passing over the
>>> list, I'd like to know about your positions.
>>> Perhaps we also can derive some rules on how to proceed with the
>>> attendees lists in the following years?
>>>
>>> Kind regards & happy Chrismas to everybody,
>>>
>>> Till
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Conference_dev mailing list
>>> [hidden email] [2]
>>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
>> [2] mailto:[hidden email]
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Conference_dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question: share attendee list ?

Eli Adam
In reply to this post by Michael Terner
On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 6:14 AM, Michael Terner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> + Boston LOC list
>
> Till & Steven:
> Thanks for taking our request seriously. We understand, and absolutely
> respect the personal data and privacy issues associated with email and
> registration lists. And we will accept and appreciate whatever you feel you
> are able to do in this regard. We just wanted to update you and the list
> with several things we're planning and doing already and that pertain to
> this topic:
>
> We have secured a paid MailChimp account for FOSS4G 2017. We received access
> to the Bonn MailChimp account through the marketing team (Marc, Gert) and
> have successfully imported the several thousand email that were assembled
> through various opt-ins over the years.
> MailChimp has explicit rules about how to use their service, and they do not
> want to be known as a SPAM platform (they'd probably say a "keeping in touch
> platform"). These include providing a good, working unsubscribe on all
> correspondence and tracking the opt-outs. We will absolutely follow their
> rules.
> As of last night, we did our first outbound message to that list (with an
> unfortunate type-o in our attribution block that has now been corrected in
> our template [and that Venka alerted us to]). Among other things this is the
> first announcement that Richard Stallman is one of our keynotes; and this
> message includes the clear MailChimp unsubscribe.
> We have also assembled a supplementary list from a variety of sources -
> e.g., other conference and trade organization lists; Open Source project
> members; etc. - and we will be doing a single, outbound message to these
> people. Unlike the message in #3, this message to this list will include
> only a request for an explicit "opt-in" (e.g., click here to join our list)
> and those people who opt-in will be added to the master MailChimp list.
> Those who do not opt-in, will not hear from us again.
> We strongly support Till's proposed approach of having the Bonn Team send a
> "farewell notice" that includes the opportunity to "opt in" to the Boston
> mailing list. That sounds like a perfect solution and we'd be pleased to
> provide you the opt-in link (which is already on our web-site, and points to
> this location on the OSGeo web-site) or anything else you need from us.

https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g2017-announce

Do you really want to run your promotions through mailman?  MailChimp
(or similar) seems like a better option.

> Steven's suggestions for our own registration page make good sense, i.e.,
> let registrants "opt-in" to correspondence from future conferences during
> registration. We will work with our PCO to make sure their registration
> system can support that.

If it is the same event, I think defaulting to already opted-in is better.

Best regards, Eli

>
> Ultimately, we believe that most of the people who attended Bonn are on the
> "already opted in" master MailChimp list. One of our interests in the
> registration list is just tracking things like people who have
> attended/registered for both conferences in an effort to fully understand
> the attendee base (i.e., it's not just for sending outbound email).
>
> Thanks again for your support...
>
> MT
>
>
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 7:27 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Steven, ConfComm, @Boston-team,
>>
>> (I included BLOC, as they are the directly affected)
>>
>> @Steven, thanks to jump in here. I digged a little deeper and although the
>> system we used for registration is not available any more, I am quite sure
>> (and found some text drafts for this), that we declared not to hand over the
>> personal data for registration to anybody else. So this excludes your
>> proposed first option and also to hand over the full list to Boston. Sorry
>> for that.
>>
>>
>> I think we could do the following:
>> We, Bonn team,  will write one last email, reaching out all the attendees,
>> give them some last facts about F4G'16, include links on articles about F4G
>> 2016 on several platforms, attach a few selected but really nice pictures
>> and thank them all for their attendance. In this email we will hint the
>> people to Boston and the possibility to actively ask for news about F4G'17.
>> So people can actively get in touch with the Boston team and request for
>> further information about F4G'17.
>>
>> Personally I do not like the platforms, where I have to un-check the
>> pre-checked box "Please send me advertising and further information", even
>> if you have the opportunity to optout. The end of the story is:
>> You have to be aware and active, otherwise you get the
>> information/advertising/whatever-spam.
>> I prefer the other way around: If people do nothing, they do not get
>> anything.
>>
>>
>> So for the general proceeding on this topic I would propose the following:
>> First, I would ask BLOC (I like this and really wonder, why we did not
>> have this idea before ;-)) to deliver an "optin" link and leave the
>> technical proceeding on this to them.
>> Second we can ask BLOC to include a(n un-)checked checkbox in their
>> registration form "Keep me up to date about upcoming F4G events" which
>> includes to at least pass over their email-adress to future teams. In any
>> information any future F4G team send out, people get the chance to optout.
>>
>> For the technical stuff I see the problem you lined out. That should be
>> solved in either way.... just some thoughts on this:
>> The mailchimp also needs kind of "administrator" ....
>> A perhaps not perfect but very easy and easy-to-realize solution would be
>> to create a new mailing list "FOSS4G News" and ask people to register, if
>> they want get the news-feed.
>> So every future team can use this address to post their news on their
>> event.
>>
>>
>> Any comments?
>>
>> Regards, Till
>>
>>
>>
>> Am 2016-12-20 12:11, schrieb Steven Feldman:
>>>
>>> We went through this discussion last year and I’m not sure whether
>>> we reached a conclusion.
>>>
>>> I am in favour of passing 2016 names to 2017 team but I recognise that
>>> data protection rules are a constraint. I see 2 options (others may
>>> chip in with more)
>>>
>>>         * Provide the names of all people that ‘ticked the box’ in 2016 -
>>> possibly Boston team should send their first mail to this group with
>>> an explanation of why they are receiving the mail and an optout
>>>         * Send one mail to all of the 2016 names saying that we would
>>> like to
>>> pass their details to Boston team and giving them the option to opt
>>> out by replying ‘unsubscribe’ plus they will always have the
>>> option to opt out in the future
>>>
>>> It would be much easier if OSGeo had a mailchimp or equivalent service
>>> that could handle lists and opt outs etc and track mailings, the
>>> service could be used by all our global and regional events. A mail
>>> chimp account would cost $50/month for up to 5,000 mail recipients (<
>>> 2,000 is free)
>>>  ______
>>> Steven
>>>
>>>> On 20 Dec 2016, at 10:21, [hidden email] [1] wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Dear ConfComm,
>>>>
>>>> I want to discuss and listen to your opinions regarding the
>>>> following issue:
>>>> Boston asked me to share our attendee list with them, so they can
>>>> contact our attendees and deliver their news to them.
>>>>
>>>> As all non-americans among us might know, we have strict privacy
>>>> laws here in Europe. So this is one point and another one is, that
>>>> we do not know, whether participants of F4G 2016 are happy to get
>>>> contacted by the Boston team. Some of them may, some not. It's even
>>>> unsure that those, that registered for Bonn and checked the box,
>>>> that they want to get updates from us really like to get contacted
>>>> from the next team.
>>>> And - as said - I am kind of unsure, how the legal position is, when
>>>> I pass the list over...
>>>>
>>>> Do not understand me wrong: I support the Boston team on all
>>>> questions and I am happy to help them, but before passing over the
>>>> list, I'd like to know about your positions.
>>>> Perhaps we also can derive some rules on how to proceed with the
>>>> attendees lists in the following years?
>>>>
>>>> Kind regards & happy Chrismas to everybody,
>>>>
>>>> Till
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Conference_dev mailing list
>>>> [hidden email] [2]
>>>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Links:
>>> ------
>>> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
>>> [2] mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Michael Terner
> Executive Vice President
> 617-447-2468 Direct | 617-447-2400 Main
> Applied Geographics, Inc.
> 24 School Street, Suite 500
> Boston, MA 02108
> www.AppGeo.com
> Celebrating our 25th Anniversary
>
> This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally
> privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise
> authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy, distribute,
> disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this
> e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and material in
> error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this
> message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo).
> _______________________________________________
> Conference_dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question: share attendee list ?

Michael Terner
Eli:
Thanks for you note, you always cut to the bottom line and indeed, you highlight that each successive LOC needs to address some of the same challenges of the previous LOC's.

YES, it would be hugely helpful if we, and successive FOSS4G's could instantiate that this is indeed one OSGeo event, that is managed by different organizing committees, and thus stuff like both the "outreach list" (which is openly shared, and we received from Bonn very promptly) and the "registration list" (which is what Bonn is most concerned about) can move from event to event under the auspices of OSGeo. And obviously, we are trying to respect Bonn's wishes, and what might be a matter of EU country law (i.e., based on Maria's last comment).

As for your catch of our use of Mailman, let us be clear we are using MailChimp for our outbound communication. Our use of the Mailman lists pre-dates our acquisition of a BLOC MailChimp account and our obtaining the "historic list." We have been collecting "announce list" and "discussion list" emails since before Bonn and since our web-site went live. It's a decent enough, and minimalist way of signing up for the mailing list (and avoided our need to re-do the form in MailChimp). That said, we scrape these lists nightly and harvest data into Mailchimp. It is our full desire and intent to pass on our MailChimp data, and if appropriate, our account to the Dar Es Salaam team after FOSS4G 2017. We are keenly aware of all the handoff issues and stand ready to be a use case for continuing to improve that process. And for the record, the Bonn Team has been absolutely fabulous about engaging with us and being prompt on question we've asked or for handing over resources. They have also been plain and candid about their concerns, including the differential norms of privacy/personal information in the USA and EU.

Thanks again for your guidance.

MT



On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 6:14 AM, Michael Terner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> + Boston LOC list
>
> Till & Steven:
> Thanks for taking our request seriously. We understand, and absolutely
> respect the personal data and privacy issues associated with email and
> registration lists. And we will accept and appreciate whatever you feel you
> are able to do in this regard. We just wanted to update you and the list
> with several things we're planning and doing already and that pertain to
> this topic:
>
> We have secured a paid MailChimp account for FOSS4G 2017. We received access
> to the Bonn MailChimp account through the marketing team (Marc, Gert) and
> have successfully imported the several thousand email that were assembled
> through various opt-ins over the years.
> MailChimp has explicit rules about how to use their service, and they do not
> want to be known as a SPAM platform (they'd probably say a "keeping in touch
> platform"). These include providing a good, working unsubscribe on all
> correspondence and tracking the opt-outs. We will absolutely follow their
> rules.
> As of last night, we did our first outbound message to that list (with an
> unfortunate type-o in our attribution block that has now been corrected in
> our template [and that Venka alerted us to]). Among other things this is the
> first announcement that Richard Stallman is one of our keynotes; and this
> message includes the clear MailChimp unsubscribe.
> We have also assembled a supplementary list from a variety of sources -
> e.g., other conference and trade organization lists; Open Source project
> members; etc. - and we will be doing a single, outbound message to these
> people. Unlike the message in #3, this message to this list will include
> only a request for an explicit "opt-in" (e.g., click here to join our list)
> and those people who opt-in will be added to the master MailChimp list.
> Those who do not opt-in, will not hear from us again.
> We strongly support Till's proposed approach of having the Bonn Team send a
> "farewell notice" that includes the opportunity to "opt in" to the Boston
> mailing list. That sounds like a perfect solution and we'd be pleased to
> provide you the opt-in link (which is already on our web-site, and points to
> this location on the OSGeo web-site) or anything else you need from us.

https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g2017-announce

Do you really want to run your promotions through mailman?  MailChimp
(or similar) seems like a better option.

> Steven's suggestions for our own registration page make good sense, i.e.,
> let registrants "opt-in" to correspondence from future conferences during
> registration. We will work with our PCO to make sure their registration
> system can support that.

If it is the same event, I think defaulting to already opted-in is better.

Best regards, Eli

>
> Ultimately, we believe that most of the people who attended Bonn are on the
> "already opted in" master MailChimp list. One of our interests in the
> registration list is just tracking things like people who have
> attended/registered for both conferences in an effort to fully understand
> the attendee base (i.e., it's not just for sending outbound email).
>
> Thanks again for your support...
>
> MT
>
>
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 7:27 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Steven, ConfComm, @Boston-team,
>>
>> (I included BLOC, as they are the directly affected)
>>
>> @Steven, thanks to jump in here. I digged a little deeper and although the
>> system we used for registration is not available any more, I am quite sure
>> (and found some text drafts for this), that we declared not to hand over the
>> personal data for registration to anybody else. So this excludes your
>> proposed first option and also to hand over the full list to Boston. Sorry
>> for that.
>>
>>
>> I think we could do the following:
>> We, Bonn team,  will write one last email, reaching out all the attendees,
>> give them some last facts about F4G'16, include links on articles about F4G
>> 2016 on several platforms, attach a few selected but really nice pictures
>> and thank them all for their attendance. In this email we will hint the
>> people to Boston and the possibility to actively ask for news about F4G'17.
>> So people can actively get in touch with the Boston team and request for
>> further information about F4G'17.
>>
>> Personally I do not like the platforms, where I have to un-check the
>> pre-checked box "Please send me advertising and further information", even
>> if you have the opportunity to optout. The end of the story is:
>> You have to be aware and active, otherwise you get the
>> information/advertising/whatever-spam.
>> I prefer the other way around: If people do nothing, they do not get
>> anything.
>>
>>
>> So for the general proceeding on this topic I would propose the following:
>> First, I would ask BLOC (I like this and really wonder, why we did not
>> have this idea before ;-)) to deliver an "optin" link and leave the
>> technical proceeding on this to them.
>> Second we can ask BLOC to include a(n un-)checked checkbox in their
>> registration form "Keep me up to date about upcoming F4G events" which
>> includes to at least pass over their email-adress to future teams. In any
>> information any future F4G team send out, people get the chance to optout.
>>
>> For the technical stuff I see the problem you lined out. That should be
>> solved in either way.... just some thoughts on this:
>> The mailchimp also needs kind of "administrator" ....
>> A perhaps not perfect but very easy and easy-to-realize solution would be
>> to create a new mailing list "FOSS4G News" and ask people to register, if
>> they want get the news-feed.
>> So every future team can use this address to post their news on their
>> event.
>>
>>
>> Any comments?
>>
>> Regards, Till
>>
>>
>>
>> Am 2016-12-20 12:11, schrieb Steven Feldman:
>>>
>>> We went through this discussion last year and I’m not sure whether
>>> we reached a conclusion.
>>>
>>> I am in favour of passing 2016 names to 2017 team but I recognise that
>>> data protection rules are a constraint. I see 2 options (others may
>>> chip in with more)
>>>
>>>         * Provide the names of all people that ‘ticked the box’ in 2016 -
>>> possibly Boston team should send their first mail to this group with
>>> an explanation of why they are receiving the mail and an optout
>>>         * Send one mail to all of the 2016 names saying that we would
>>> like to
>>> pass their details to Boston team and giving them the option to opt
>>> out by replying ‘unsubscribe’ plus they will always have the
>>> option to opt out in the future
>>>
>>> It would be much easier if OSGeo had a mailchimp or equivalent service
>>> that could handle lists and opt outs etc and track mailings, the
>>> service could be used by all our global and regional events. A mail
>>> chimp account would cost $50/month for up to 5,000 mail recipients (<
>>> 2,000 is free)
>>>  ______
>>> Steven
>>>
>>>> On 20 Dec 2016, at 10:21, [hidden email] [1] wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Dear ConfComm,
>>>>
>>>> I want to discuss and listen to your opinions regarding the
>>>> following issue:
>>>> Boston asked me to share our attendee list with them, so they can
>>>> contact our attendees and deliver their news to them.
>>>>
>>>> As all non-americans among us might know, we have strict privacy
>>>> laws here in Europe. So this is one point and another one is, that
>>>> we do not know, whether participants of F4G 2016 are happy to get
>>>> contacted by the Boston team. Some of them may, some not. It's even
>>>> unsure that those, that registered for Bonn and checked the box,
>>>> that they want to get updates from us really like to get contacted
>>>> from the next team.
>>>> And - as said - I am kind of unsure, how the legal position is, when
>>>> I pass the list over...
>>>>
>>>> Do not understand me wrong: I support the Boston team on all
>>>> questions and I am happy to help them, but before passing over the
>>>> list, I'd like to know about your positions.
>>>> Perhaps we also can derive some rules on how to proceed with the
>>>> attendees lists in the following years?
>>>>
>>>> Kind regards & happy Chrismas to everybody,
>>>>
>>>> Till
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Conference_dev mailing list
>>>> [hidden email] [2]
>>>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Links:
>>> ------
>>> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
>>> [2] mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Michael Terner
> Executive Vice President
> <a href="tel:617-447-2468" value="+16174472468">617-447-2468 Direct | <a href="tel:617-447-2400" value="+16174472400">617-447-2400 Main
> Applied Geographics, Inc.
> 24 School Street, Suite 500
> Boston, MA 02108
> www.AppGeo.com
> Celebrating our 25th Anniversary
>
> This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally
> privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise
> authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy, distribute,
> disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this
> e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and material in
> error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this
> message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo).
> _______________________________________________
> Conference_dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev



--
Michael Terner
Executive Vice President
617-447-2468 Direct | 617-447-2400 Main
Applied Geographics, Inc.
24 School Street, Suite 500
Boston, MA 02108

www.AppGeo.com
Celebrating our 25th Anniversary 

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy, distribute, disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and material in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo).
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question: share attendee list ?

Cameron Shorter
In reply to this post by Eli Adam
I agree with Eli that we should write a best practice policy statement
over use of email addresses. I suggest storing in the FOSS4G Cookbook
rather than the RFP. Someone want to volunteer to write this section
once this email thread completes?

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook


On 21/12/2016 5:36 AM, Eli Adam wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The email list which has been accumulated since 2007 or before has
> been one of the primary inputs that leads to annual success of FOSS4G.
> Each year it has been passed on. Boston should get the list from 2015
> if not 2016.  Also, let's change the 2019 RFP to include list
> continuity.
>
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 4:27 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Steven, ConfComm, @Boston-team,
>>
>> (I included BLOC, as they are the directly affected)
>>
>> @Steven, thanks to jump in here. I digged a little deeper and although the
>> system we used for registration is not available any more, I am quite sure
>> (and found some text drafts for this), that we declared not to hand over the
>> personal data for registration to anybody else. So this excludes your
>> proposed first option and also to hand over the full list to Boston. Sorry
>> for that.
>>
> This page seems to allow contact by email as well as transfer.
> http://2016.foss4g.org/registration.html#tac
>
>
>> I think we could do the following:
>> We, Bonn team,  will write one last email, reaching out all the attendees,
>> give them some last facts about F4G'16, include links on articles about F4G
>> 2016 on several platforms, attach a few selected but really nice pictures
>> and thank them all for their attendance. In this email we will hint the
>> people to Boston and the possibility to actively ask for news about F4G'17.
>> So people can actively get in touch with the Boston team and request for
>> further information about F4G'17.
> The Bonn LOC can decide what to do but they should do whatever they
> can to pass on the list (or at the very least encourage people to
> re-subscribe).
>
>> Personally I do not like the platforms, where I have to un-check the
>> pre-checked box "Please send me advertising and further information", even
>> if you have the opportunity to optout. The end of the story is:
>> You have to be aware and active, otherwise you get the
>> information/advertising/whatever-spam.
>> I prefer the other way around: If people do nothing, they do not get
>> anything.
>>
> In 2014, we considered the annual global FOSS4G to be the same event
> as previous years and subsequent years.  We specify this in our policy
> making it entirely clear, "Your personal information is shared with
> future FOSS4G events and these are considered to be the same entity,
> even though they are run by a different committee.",
> http://2014.foss4g.org/about/privacy-policy/index.html
>
> I also consider 2016 to be the same global FOSS4G event.  The LOC was
> merely the caretaker for one year.
>
>
>> So for the general proceeding on this topic I would propose the following:
>> First, I would ask BLOC (I like this and really wonder, why we did not have
>> this idea before ;-)) to deliver an "optin" link and leave the technical
>> proceeding on this to them.
> Real changes will happen in the 2019 RFP.  We can ask things of BLOC
> but they are largely free to do what they want.
>
>
>> Second we can ask BLOC to include a(n un-)checked checkbox in their
>> registration form "Keep me up to date about upcoming F4G events" which
>> includes to at least pass over their email-adress to future teams. In any
>> information any future F4G team send out, people get the chance to optout.
> I strongly disagree with this.  Global FOSS4G is the same event and
> people should be automatically signed up for information on the same
> event.  Email continuity from year to year for the same event.  If the
> Bonn LOC was running the conference again, surely the list would be
> reused since it is the same event.
>
> Yes, definitely on an easy and obvious optout/unsubscribe from every
> communication.  That is just basic good practice and probably the law
> in most places.
>
>
>> For the technical stuff I see the problem you lined out. That should be
>> solved in either way.... just some thoughts on this:
>> The mailchimp also needs kind of "administrator" ....
>> A perhaps not perfect but very easy and easy-to-realize solution would be to
>> create a new mailing list "FOSS4G News" and ask people to register, if they
>> want get the news-feed.
>> So every future team can use this address to post their news on their event.
>>
>>
>> Any comments?
> Lots, :).  I think the fundamental discussion is whether the annual
> global FOSS4G event is the same event or not.  Determining this will
> help us decide on the path forward.  Once we decide, we can clarify in
> the RFP for future years.  What are your thoughts on whether it is the
> same event?  Separate from any obligations the Bonn LOC may have
> created for themselves and have to fulfill.
>
> Best regards, Eli
>
>> Regards, Till
>>
>>
>>
>> Am 2016-12-20 12:11, schrieb Steven Feldman:
>>> We went through this discussion last year and I’m not sure whether
>>> we reached a conclusion.
>>>
>>> I am in favour of passing 2016 names to 2017 team but I recognise that
>>> data protection rules are a constraint. I see 2 options (others may
>>> chip in with more)
>>>
>>>          * Provide the names of all people that ‘ticked the box’ in 2016 -
>>> possibly Boston team should send their first mail to this group with
>>> an explanation of why they are receiving the mail and an optout
>>>          * Send one mail to all of the 2016 names saying that we would like
>>> to
>>> pass their details to Boston team and giving them the option to opt
>>> out by replying ‘unsubscribe’ plus they will always have the
>>> option to opt out in the future
>>>
>>> It would be much easier if OSGeo had a mailchimp or equivalent service
>>> that could handle lists and opt outs etc and track mailings, the
>>> service could be used by all our global and regional events. A mail
>>> chimp account would cost $50/month for up to 5,000 mail recipients (<
>>> 2,000 is free)
>>>   ______
>>> Steven
>>>
>>>> On 20 Dec 2016, at 10:21, [hidden email] [1] wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Dear ConfComm,
>>>>
>>>> I want to discuss and listen to your opinions regarding the
>>>> following issue:
>>>> Boston asked me to share our attendee list with them, so they can
>>>> contact our attendees and deliver their news to them.
>>>>
>>>> As all non-americans among us might know, we have strict privacy
>>>> laws here in Europe. So this is one point and another one is, that
>>>> we do not know, whether participants of F4G 2016 are happy to get
>>>> contacted by the Boston team. Some of them may, some not. It's even
>>>> unsure that those, that registered for Bonn and checked the box,
>>>> that they want to get updates from us really like to get contacted
>>>> from the next team.
>>>> And - as said - I am kind of unsure, how the legal position is, when
>>>> I pass the list over...
>>>>
>>>> Do not understand me wrong: I support the Boston team on all
>>>> questions and I am happy to help them, but before passing over the
>>>> list, I'd like to know about your positions.
>>>> Perhaps we also can derive some rules on how to proceed with the
>>>> attendees lists in the following years?
>>>>
>>>> Kind regards & happy Chrismas to everybody,
>>>>
>>>> Till
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Conference_dev mailing list
>>>> [hidden email] [2]
>>>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Links:
>>> ------
>>> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
>>> [2] mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Conference_dev mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
> _______________________________________________
> Conference_dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev

--
Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254

_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question: share attendee list ?

Eli Adam
In reply to this post by Michael Terner
On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Michael Terner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Eli:
> Thanks for you note, you always cut to the bottom line and indeed, you
> highlight that each successive LOC needs to address some of the same
> challenges of the previous LOC's.
>
> YES, it would be hugely helpful if we, and successive FOSS4G's could
> instantiate that this is indeed one OSGeo event, that is managed by
> different organizing committees, and thus stuff like both the "outreach
> list" (which is openly shared, and we received from Bonn very promptly) and
> the "registration list" (which is what Bonn is most concerned about) can

This distinction was less clear to me from the initial email and makes
the issue less important.

Maybe the Bonn LOC can compare the lists and tell you that you are
only missing out on 200 (?) emails in which case, maybe it doesn't
matter.  I suspect that of the ~1,000 attendees ~500 had attended
before or were otherwise on the outreach list so maybe it it is 500
(not 200) missed emails.  Well, this is just random guessing.


> move from event to event under the auspices of OSGeo. And obviously, we are
> trying to respect Bonn's wishes, and what might be a matter of EU country
> law (i.e., based on Maria's last comment).
>
> As for your catch of our use of Mailman, let us be clear we are using
> MailChimp for our outbound communication. Our use of the Mailman lists
> pre-dates our acquisition of a BLOC MailChimp account and our obtaining the
> "historic list." We have been collecting "announce list" and "discussion
> list" emails since before Bonn and since our web-site went live. It's a
> decent enough, and minimalist way of signing up for the mailing list (and
> avoided our need to re-do the form in MailChimp). That said, we scrape these
> lists nightly and harvest data into Mailchimp. It is our full desire and

Ah, okay.  There was also a signup link in the first email if you view
it on the web.

> intent to pass on our MailChimp data, and if appropriate, our account to the
> Dar Es Salaam team after FOSS4G 2017. We are keenly aware of all the handoff
> issues and stand ready to be a use case for continuing to improve that

Great!

> process. And for the record, the Bonn Team has been absolutely fabulous
> about engaging with us and being prompt on question we've asked or for
> handing over resources. They have also been plain and candid about their
> concerns, including the differential norms of privacy/personal information
> in the USA and EU.

Yes, Bonn has done a great job all around.  This particular issue
perhaps could have used a little more foresight but already with the
clarification it is much better.

Best regards, Eli

>
> Thanks again for your guidance.
>
> MT
>
>
>
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 6:14 AM, Michael Terner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > + Boston LOC list
>> >
>> > Till & Steven:
>> > Thanks for taking our request seriously. We understand, and absolutely
>> > respect the personal data and privacy issues associated with email and
>> > registration lists. And we will accept and appreciate whatever you feel
>> > you
>> > are able to do in this regard. We just wanted to update you and the list
>> > with several things we're planning and doing already and that pertain to
>> > this topic:
>> >
>> > We have secured a paid MailChimp account for FOSS4G 2017. We received
>> > access
>> > to the Bonn MailChimp account through the marketing team (Marc, Gert)
>> > and
>> > have successfully imported the several thousand email that were
>> > assembled
>> > through various opt-ins over the years.
>> > MailChimp has explicit rules about how to use their service, and they do
>> > not
>> > want to be known as a SPAM platform (they'd probably say a "keeping in
>> > touch
>> > platform"). These include providing a good, working unsubscribe on all
>> > correspondence and tracking the opt-outs. We will absolutely follow
>> > their
>> > rules.
>> > As of last night, we did our first outbound message to that list (with
>> > an
>> > unfortunate type-o in our attribution block that has now been corrected
>> > in
>> > our template [and that Venka alerted us to]). Among other things this is
>> > the
>> > first announcement that Richard Stallman is one of our keynotes; and
>> > this
>> > message includes the clear MailChimp unsubscribe.
>> > We have also assembled a supplementary list from a variety of sources -
>> > e.g., other conference and trade organization lists; Open Source project
>> > members; etc. - and we will be doing a single, outbound message to these
>> > people. Unlike the message in #3, this message to this list will include
>> > only a request for an explicit "opt-in" (e.g., click here to join our
>> > list)
>> > and those people who opt-in will be added to the master MailChimp list.
>> > Those who do not opt-in, will not hear from us again.
>> > We strongly support Till's proposed approach of having the Bonn Team
>> > send a
>> > "farewell notice" that includes the opportunity to "opt in" to the
>> > Boston
>> > mailing list. That sounds like a perfect solution and we'd be pleased to
>> > provide you the opt-in link (which is already on our web-site, and
>> > points to
>> > this location on the OSGeo web-site) or anything else you need from us.
>>
>> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g2017-announce
>>
>> Do you really want to run your promotions through mailman?  MailChimp
>> (or similar) seems like a better option.
>>
>> > Steven's suggestions for our own registration page make good sense,
>> > i.e.,
>> > let registrants "opt-in" to correspondence from future conferences
>> > during
>> > registration. We will work with our PCO to make sure their registration
>> > system can support that.
>>
>> If it is the same event, I think defaulting to already opted-in is better.
>>
>> Best regards, Eli
>>
>> >
>> > Ultimately, we believe that most of the people who attended Bonn are on
>> > the
>> > "already opted in" master MailChimp list. One of our interests in the
>> > registration list is just tracking things like people who have
>> > attended/registered for both conferences in an effort to fully
>> > understand
>> > the attendee base (i.e., it's not just for sending outbound email).
>> >
>> > Thanks again for your support...
>> >
>> > MT
>> >
>> >
>> > On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 7:27 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >>
>> >> Hi Steven, ConfComm, @Boston-team,
>> >>
>> >> (I included BLOC, as they are the directly affected)
>> >>
>> >> @Steven, thanks to jump in here. I digged a little deeper and although
>> >> the
>> >> system we used for registration is not available any more, I am quite
>> >> sure
>> >> (and found some text drafts for this), that we declared not to hand
>> >> over the
>> >> personal data for registration to anybody else. So this excludes your
>> >> proposed first option and also to hand over the full list to Boston.
>> >> Sorry
>> >> for that.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> I think we could do the following:
>> >> We, Bonn team,  will write one last email, reaching out all the
>> >> attendees,
>> >> give them some last facts about F4G'16, include links on articles about
>> >> F4G
>> >> 2016 on several platforms, attach a few selected but really nice
>> >> pictures
>> >> and thank them all for their attendance. In this email we will hint the
>> >> people to Boston and the possibility to actively ask for news about
>> >> F4G'17.
>> >> So people can actively get in touch with the Boston team and request
>> >> for
>> >> further information about F4G'17.
>> >>
>> >> Personally I do not like the platforms, where I have to un-check the
>> >> pre-checked box "Please send me advertising and further information",
>> >> even
>> >> if you have the opportunity to optout. The end of the story is:
>> >> You have to be aware and active, otherwise you get the
>> >> information/advertising/whatever-spam.
>> >> I prefer the other way around: If people do nothing, they do not get
>> >> anything.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> So for the general proceeding on this topic I would propose the
>> >> following:
>> >> First, I would ask BLOC (I like this and really wonder, why we did not
>> >> have this idea before ;-)) to deliver an "optin" link and leave the
>> >> technical proceeding on this to them.
>> >> Second we can ask BLOC to include a(n un-)checked checkbox in their
>> >> registration form "Keep me up to date about upcoming F4G events" which
>> >> includes to at least pass over their email-adress to future teams. In
>> >> any
>> >> information any future F4G team send out, people get the chance to
>> >> optout.
>> >>
>> >> For the technical stuff I see the problem you lined out. That should be
>> >> solved in either way.... just some thoughts on this:
>> >> The mailchimp also needs kind of "administrator" ....
>> >> A perhaps not perfect but very easy and easy-to-realize solution would
>> >> be
>> >> to create a new mailing list "FOSS4G News" and ask people to register,
>> >> if
>> >> they want get the news-feed.
>> >> So every future team can use this address to post their news on their
>> >> event.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> Any comments?
>> >>
>> >> Regards, Till
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> Am 2016-12-20 12:11, schrieb Steven Feldman:
>> >>>
>> >>> We went through this discussion last year and I’m not sure whether
>> >>> we reached a conclusion.
>> >>>
>> >>> I am in favour of passing 2016 names to 2017 team but I recognise that
>> >>> data protection rules are a constraint. I see 2 options (others may
>> >>> chip in with more)
>> >>>
>> >>>         * Provide the names of all people that ‘ticked the box’ in
>> >>> 2016 -
>> >>> possibly Boston team should send their first mail to this group with
>> >>> an explanation of why they are receiving the mail and an optout
>> >>>         * Send one mail to all of the 2016 names saying that we would
>> >>> like to
>> >>> pass their details to Boston team and giving them the option to opt
>> >>> out by replying ‘unsubscribe’ plus they will always have the
>> >>> option to opt out in the future
>> >>>
>> >>> It would be much easier if OSGeo had a mailchimp or equivalent service
>> >>> that could handle lists and opt outs etc and track mailings, the
>> >>> service could be used by all our global and regional events. A mail
>> >>> chimp account would cost $50/month for up to 5,000 mail recipients (<
>> >>> 2,000 is free)
>> >>>  ______
>> >>> Steven
>> >>>
>> >>>> On 20 Dec 2016, at 10:21, [hidden email] [1] wrote:
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Dear ConfComm,
>> >>>>
>> >>>> I want to discuss and listen to your opinions regarding the
>> >>>> following issue:
>> >>>> Boston asked me to share our attendee list with them, so they can
>> >>>> contact our attendees and deliver their news to them.
>> >>>>
>> >>>> As all non-americans among us might know, we have strict privacy
>> >>>> laws here in Europe. So this is one point and another one is, that
>> >>>> we do not know, whether participants of F4G 2016 are happy to get
>> >>>> contacted by the Boston team. Some of them may, some not. It's even
>> >>>> unsure that those, that registered for Bonn and checked the box,
>> >>>> that they want to get updates from us really like to get contacted
>> >>>> from the next team.
>> >>>> And - as said - I am kind of unsure, how the legal position is, when
>> >>>> I pass the list over...
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Do not understand me wrong: I support the Boston team on all
>> >>>> questions and I am happy to help them, but before passing over the
>> >>>> list, I'd like to know about your positions.
>> >>>> Perhaps we also can derive some rules on how to proceed with the
>> >>>> attendees lists in the following years?
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Kind regards & happy Chrismas to everybody,
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Till
>> >>>> _______________________________________________
>> >>>> Conference_dev mailing list
>> >>>> [hidden email] [2]
>> >>>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>> Links:
>> >>> ------
>> >>> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
>> >>> [2] mailto:[hidden email]
>> >>
>> >>
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > --
>> > Michael Terner
>> > Executive Vice President
>> > 617-447-2468 Direct | 617-447-2400 Main
>> > Applied Geographics, Inc.
>> > 24 School Street, Suite 500
>> > Boston, MA 02108
>> > www.AppGeo.com
>> > Celebrating our 25th Anniversary
>> >
>> > This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or
>> > legally
>> > privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or
>> > otherwise
>> > authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy,
>> > distribute,
>> > disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this
>> > e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and
>> > material in
>> > error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete
>> > this
>> > message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo).
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > Conference_dev mailing list
>> > [hidden email]
>> > http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>
>
>
>
> --
> Michael Terner
> Executive Vice President
> 617-447-2468 Direct | 617-447-2400 Main
> Applied Geographics, Inc.
> 24 School Street, Suite 500
> Boston, MA 02108
> www.AppGeo.com
> Celebrating our 25th Anniversary
>
> This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally
> privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise
> authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy, distribute,
> disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this
> e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and material in
> error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this
> message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo).
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question: share attendee list ?

David William Bitner-3
In reply to this post by Cameron Shorter
Cameron,

It should be in both. If we are expecting a future event to comply it *must* be in the RFP.

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 1:30 PM, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree with Eli that we should write a best practice policy statement over use of email addresses. I suggest storing in the FOSS4G Cookbook rather than the RFP. Someone want to volunteer to write this section once this email thread completes?

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook



On 21/12/2016 5:36 AM, Eli Adam wrote:
Hi all,

The email list which has been accumulated since 2007 or before has
been one of the primary inputs that leads to annual success of FOSS4G.
Each year it has been passed on. Boston should get the list from 2015
if not 2016.  Also, let's change the 2019 RFP to include list
continuity.

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 4:27 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Steven, ConfComm, @Boston-team,

(I included BLOC, as they are the directly affected)

@Steven, thanks to jump in here. I digged a little deeper and although the
system we used for registration is not available any more, I am quite sure
(and found some text drafts for this), that we declared not to hand over the
personal data for registration to anybody else. So this excludes your
proposed first option and also to hand over the full list to Boston. Sorry
for that.

This page seems to allow contact by email as well as transfer.
http://2016.foss4g.org/registration.html#tac


I think we could do the following:
We, Bonn team,  will write one last email, reaching out all the attendees,
give them some last facts about F4G'16, include links on articles about F4G
2016 on several platforms, attach a few selected but really nice pictures
and thank them all for their attendance. In this email we will hint the
people to Boston and the possibility to actively ask for news about F4G'17.
So people can actively get in touch with the Boston team and request for
further information about F4G'17.
The Bonn LOC can decide what to do but they should do whatever they
can to pass on the list (or at the very least encourage people to
re-subscribe).

Personally I do not like the platforms, where I have to un-check the
pre-checked box "Please send me advertising and further information", even
if you have the opportunity to optout. The end of the story is:
You have to be aware and active, otherwise you get the
information/advertising/whatever-spam.
I prefer the other way around: If people do nothing, they do not get
anything.

In 2014, we considered the annual global FOSS4G to be the same event
as previous years and subsequent years.  We specify this in our policy
making it entirely clear, "Your personal information is shared with
future FOSS4G events and these are considered to be the same entity,
even though they are run by a different committee.",
http://2014.foss4g.org/about/privacy-policy/index.html

I also consider 2016 to be the same global FOSS4G event.  The LOC was
merely the caretaker for one year.


So for the general proceeding on this topic I would propose the following:
First, I would ask BLOC (I like this and really wonder, why we did not have
this idea before ;-)) to deliver an "optin" link and leave the technical
proceeding on this to them.
Real changes will happen in the 2019 RFP.  We can ask things of BLOC
but they are largely free to do what they want.


Second we can ask BLOC to include a(n un-)checked checkbox in their
registration form "Keep me up to date about upcoming F4G events" which
includes to at least pass over their email-adress to future teams. In any
information any future F4G team send out, people get the chance to optout.
I strongly disagree with this.  Global FOSS4G is the same event and
people should be automatically signed up for information on the same
event.  Email continuity from year to year for the same event.  If the
Bonn LOC was running the conference again, surely the list would be
reused since it is the same event.

Yes, definitely on an easy and obvious optout/unsubscribe from every
communication.  That is just basic good practice and probably the law
in most places.


For the technical stuff I see the problem you lined out. That should be
solved in either way.... just some thoughts on this:
The mailchimp also needs kind of "administrator" ....
A perhaps not perfect but very easy and easy-to-realize solution would be to
create a new mailing list "FOSS4G News" and ask people to register, if they
want get the news-feed.
So every future team can use this address to post their news on their event.


Any comments?
Lots, :).  I think the fundamental discussion is whether the annual
global FOSS4G event is the same event or not.  Determining this will
help us decide on the path forward.  Once we decide, we can clarify in
the RFP for future years.  What are your thoughts on whether it is the
same event?  Separate from any obligations the Bonn LOC may have
created for themselves and have to fulfill.

Best regards, Eli

Regards, Till



Am 2016-12-20 12:11, schrieb Steven Feldman:
We went through this discussion last year and I’m not sure whether
we reached a conclusion.

I am in favour of passing 2016 names to 2017 team but I recognise that
data protection rules are a constraint. I see 2 options (others may
chip in with more)

         * Provide the names of all people that ‘ticked the box’ in 2016 -
possibly Boston team should send their first mail to this group with
an explanation of why they are receiving the mail and an optout
         * Send one mail to all of the 2016 names saying that we would like
to
pass their details to Boston team and giving them the option to opt
out by replying ‘unsubscribe’ plus they will always have the
option to opt out in the future

It would be much easier if OSGeo had a mailchimp or equivalent service
that could handle lists and opt outs etc and track mailings, the
service could be used by all our global and regional events. A mail
chimp account would cost $50/month for up to 5,000 mail recipients (<
2,000 is free)
  ______
Steven

On 20 Dec 2016, at 10:21, [hidden email] [1] wrote:

Dear ConfComm,

I want to discuss and listen to your opinions regarding the
following issue:
Boston asked me to share our attendee list with them, so they can
contact our attendees and deliver their news to them.

As all non-americans among us might know, we have strict privacy
laws here in Europe. So this is one point and another one is, that
we do not know, whether participants of F4G 2016 are happy to get
contacted by the Boston team. Some of them may, some not. It's even
unsure that those, that registered for Bonn and checked the box,
that they want to get updates from us really like to get contacted
from the next team.
And - as said - I am kind of unsure, how the legal position is, when
I pass the list over...

Do not understand me wrong: I support the Boston team on all
questions and I am happy to help them, but before passing over the
list, I'd like to know about your positions.
Perhaps we also can derive some rules on how to proceed with the
attendees lists in the following years?

Kind regards & happy Chrismas to everybody,

Till
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email] [2]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev



Links:
------
[1] mailto:[hidden email]
[2] mailto:[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev

--
Cameron Shorter
M <a href="tel:%2B61%20419%20142%20254" value="+61419142254" target="_blank">+61 419 142 254


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev



--
************************************
David William Bitner
dbSpatial LLC
612-424-9932

_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question: share attendee list ?

Till Adams-3
In reply to this post by Cameron Shorter
Dear ConfComm,

it's a pleasure to work with you and to see, that we in general agree
on the most important points ;-)

I can take some time in the next days and make a WIKI draft.

Till



Am 2016-12-20 20:30, schrieb Cameron Shorter:

> I agree with Eli that we should write a best practice policy
> statement over use of email addresses. I suggest storing in the
> FOSS4G
> Cookbook rather than the RFP. Someone want to volunteer to write this
> section once this email thread completes?
>
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook
>
>
> On 21/12/2016 5:36 AM, Eli Adam wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The email list which has been accumulated since 2007 or before has
>> been one of the primary inputs that leads to annual success of
>> FOSS4G.
>> Each year it has been passed on. Boston should get the list from
>> 2015
>> if not 2016.  Also, let's change the 2019 RFP to include list
>> continuity.
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 4:27 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Steven, ConfComm, @Boston-team,
>>>
>>> (I included BLOC, as they are the directly affected)
>>>
>>> @Steven, thanks to jump in here. I digged a little deeper and
>>> although the
>>> system we used for registration is not available any more, I am
>>> quite sure
>>> (and found some text drafts for this), that we declared not to hand
>>> over the
>>> personal data for registration to anybody else. So this excludes
>>> your
>>> proposed first option and also to hand over the full list to
>>> Boston. Sorry
>>> for that.
>>>
>> This page seems to allow contact by email as well as transfer.
>> http://2016.foss4g.org/registration.html#tac
>>
>>
>>> I think we could do the following:
>>> We, Bonn team,  will write one last email, reaching out all the
>>> attendees,
>>> give them some last facts about F4G'16, include links on articles
>>> about F4G
>>> 2016 on several platforms, attach a few selected but really nice
>>> pictures
>>> and thank them all for their attendance. In this email we will hint
>>> the
>>> people to Boston and the possibility to actively ask for news about
>>> F4G'17.
>>> So people can actively get in touch with the Boston team and
>>> request for
>>> further information about F4G'17.
>> The Bonn LOC can decide what to do but they should do whatever they
>> can to pass on the list (or at the very least encourage people to
>> re-subscribe).
>>
>>> Personally I do not like the platforms, where I have to un-check
>>> the
>>> pre-checked box "Please send me advertising and further
>>> information", even
>>> if you have the opportunity to optout. The end of the story is:
>>> You have to be aware and active, otherwise you get the
>>> information/advertising/whatever-spam.
>>> I prefer the other way around: If people do nothing, they do not
>>> get
>>> anything.
>>>
>> In 2014, we considered the annual global FOSS4G to be the same event
>> as previous years and subsequent years.  We specify this in our
>> policy
>> making it entirely clear, "Your personal information is shared with
>> future FOSS4G events and these are considered to be the same entity,
>> even though they are run by a different committee.",
>> http://2014.foss4g.org/about/privacy-policy/index.html
>>
>> I also consider 2016 to be the same global FOSS4G event.  The LOC
>> was
>> merely the caretaker for one year.
>>
>>
>>> So for the general proceeding on this topic I would propose the
>>> following:
>>> First, I would ask BLOC (I like this and really wonder, why we did
>>> not have
>>> this idea before ;-)) to deliver an "optin" link and leave the
>>> technical
>>> proceeding on this to them.
>> Real changes will happen in the 2019 RFP.  We can ask things of BLOC
>> but they are largely free to do what they want.
>>
>>
>>> Second we can ask BLOC to include a(n un-)checked checkbox in their
>>> registration form "Keep me up to date about upcoming F4G events"
>>> which
>>> includes to at least pass over their email-adress to future teams.
>>> In any
>>> information any future F4G team send out, people get the chance to
>>> optout.
>> I strongly disagree with this.  Global FOSS4G is the same event and
>> people should be automatically signed up for information on the same
>> event.  Email continuity from year to year for the same event.  If
>> the
>> Bonn LOC was running the conference again, surely the list would be
>> reused since it is the same event.
>>
>> Yes, definitely on an easy and obvious optout/unsubscribe from every
>> communication.  That is just basic good practice and probably the
>> law
>> in most places.
>>
>>
>>> For the technical stuff I see the problem you lined out. That
>>> should be
>>> solved in either way.... just some thoughts on this:
>>> The mailchimp also needs kind of "administrator" ....
>>> A perhaps not perfect but very easy and easy-to-realize solution
>>> would be to
>>> create a new mailing list "FOSS4G News" and ask people to register,
>>> if they
>>> want get the news-feed.
>>> So every future team can use this address to post their news on
>>> their event.
>>>
>>>
>>> Any comments?
>> Lots, :).  I think the fundamental discussion is whether the annual
>> global FOSS4G event is the same event or not.  Determining this will
>> help us decide on the path forward.  Once we decide, we can clarify
>> in
>> the RFP for future years.  What are your thoughts on whether it is
>> the
>> same event?  Separate from any obligations the Bonn LOC may have
>> created for themselves and have to fulfill.
>>
>> Best regards, Eli
>>
>>> Regards, Till
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Am 2016-12-20 12:11, schrieb Steven Feldman:
>>>> We went through this discussion last year and I’m not sure whether
>>>> we reached a conclusion.
>>>>
>>>> I am in favour of passing 2016 names to 2017 team but I recognise
>>>> that
>>>> data protection rules are a constraint. I see 2 options (others
>>>> may
>>>> chip in with more)
>>>>
>>>>          * Provide the names of all people that ‘ticked the box’
>>>> in 2016 -
>>>> possibly Boston team should send their first mail to this group
>>>> with
>>>> an explanation of why they are receiving the mail and an optout
>>>>          * Send one mail to all of the 2016 names saying that we
>>>> would like
>>>> to
>>>> pass their details to Boston team and giving them the option to
>>>> opt
>>>> out by replying ‘unsubscribe’ plus they will always have the
>>>> option to opt out in the future
>>>>
>>>> It would be much easier if OSGeo had a mailchimp or equivalent
>>>> service
>>>> that could handle lists and opt outs etc and track mailings, the
>>>> service could be used by all our global and regional events. A
>>>> mail
>>>> chimp account would cost $50/month for up to 5,000 mail recipients
>>>> (<
>>>> 2,000 is free)
>>>>   ______
>>>> Steven
>>>>
>>>>> On 20 Dec 2016, at 10:21, [hidden email] [1] wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Dear ConfComm,
>>>>>
>>>>> I want to discuss and listen to your opinions regarding the
>>>>> following issue:
>>>>> Boston asked me to share our attendee list with them, so they can
>>>>> contact our attendees and deliver their news to them.
>>>>>
>>>>> As all non-americans among us might know, we have strict privacy
>>>>> laws here in Europe. So this is one point and another one is,
>>>>> that
>>>>> we do not know, whether participants of F4G 2016 are happy to get
>>>>> contacted by the Boston team. Some of them may, some not. It's
>>>>> even
>>>>> unsure that those, that registered for Bonn and checked the box,
>>>>> that they want to get updates from us really like to get
>>>>> contacted
>>>>> from the next team.
>>>>> And - as said - I am kind of unsure, how the legal position is,
>>>>> when
>>>>> I pass the list over...
>>>>>
>>>>> Do not understand me wrong: I support the Boston team on all
>>>>> questions and I am happy to help them, but before passing over
>>>>> the
>>>>> list, I'd like to know about your positions.
>>>>> Perhaps we also can derive some rules on how to proceed with the
>>>>> attendees lists in the following years?
>>>>>
>>>>> Kind regards & happy Chrismas to everybody,
>>>>>
>>>>> Till
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> Conference_dev mailing list
>>>>> [hidden email] [2]
>>>>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Links:
>>>> ------
>>>> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
>>>> [2] mailto:[hidden email]
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Conference_dev mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>> _______________________________________________
>> Conference_dev mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev

_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev