Question about PR #3103: Add QGIS Server Backend

Question about PR #3103: Add QGIS Server Backend

Alessio Fabiani-2
Dear all,
I would like to know if someone of the devs is taking care about this PR.

At the current state it cannot be merged of course. Other than this I see people keeping pushing commits on that branch and therefore updating the PR which since a long time is completely misaligned from master branch.

Other issues preventing this PR to be merged are:

- more than 150 files modified; it is almost impossible to do a review of such huge amount of files

- no connection to issues; each PR should solve a single problem and must be clear how to reproduce the issue and/or how to test the code. No one can spend months testing the whole GeoNode functionalities from scratch.

I know that the GeoNode community has no explicit rules yet on the management or PRs, but usually in order to be merged a PR you should:

- close this huge one.

- split it into several smaller PRs related to specific issues opened on GeoNode

- whenever is possible attach test cases or at least explain how to test the code

- manage to keep each PR aligned with the code and Travis to pass the build

I'll be happy to help you merge the PRs as soon as possible after reviewing them.

Regards,

Alessio Fabiani

==
==

Ing. Alessio Fabiani

@alfa7691
Founder/Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39 331 6233686

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: Question about PR #3103: Add QGIS Server Backend

Tim Sutton-6
Dear Alessio

Thank you for your message below. I really do agree with everything you laid out below and I will get Rizky to retract the PR in favor of more atomic ones. Some things are going to be a bit tricky to keep atomic as there are a lot of inter-dependencies but we will do our best to split things up nicely so it is clear what each improvement does.
I would really appreciate your help / like to take you up on your offer to review the PR's when we split them up as it is going to be a big headache to keep them all current to master if we have 10 or more PR's sitting in the queue for a long time.
So thank you for your inputs and stand by for a fresh batch of PR's.

Regards

Tim

> Dear all,
> I would like to know if someone of the devs is taking care about this PR.

> At the current state it cannot be merged of course. Other than this I see
> people keeping pushing commits on that branch and therefore updating the PR
> which since a long time is completely misaligned from master branch.

> Other issues preventing this PR to be merged are:

> - more than 150 files modified; it is almost impossible to do a review of
such huge amount of files

> - no connection to issues; each PR should solve a single problem and must
be clear how to reproduce the issue and/or how to test the code. No one can
spend months testing the whole GeoNode functionalities from scratch.

> I know that the GeoNode community has no explicit rules yet on the
management or PRs, but usually in order to be merged a PR you should:

> - close this huge one.

> - split it into several smaller PRs related to specific issues opened on
GeoNode

> - whenever is possible attach test cases or at least explain how to test
the code

> - manage to keep each PR aligned with the code and Travis to pass the build

> I'll be happy to help you merge the PRs as soon as possible after reviewing
them.

> Regards,

> Alessio Fabiani

Tim Sutton