QueryBuilder for Download Layer functionality

QueryBuilder for Download Layer functionality

Dimitris Karakostis

Hello guys,

How are you doing? I wanted to share with you our current development plans/progress for WFPGeonode. During the last week I have been working on the implementation of a 'Query Builder' functionality in order to be able to download specific parts of layers in the provided formats (kml, xls, csv, zipped shape, geojson).

The user can build the query by :
1. selecting from a dropdown menu the available attributes,
2. selecting an operator,
3. enter a valid value

The different statements of the query can be combined either with AND or OR operator. I have also used the OWSLib (0.11.0; thanks Tom)  in order to get the type of attributes and apply some sort of validation (e.g. if you try to put a string, while number is expected then you get an error message).

For the above process I have used JQuery for the JS functionality and BootstrapCSS for the gui. The tool is part of the 'Download Layer' modal and is currently being tested and making small fixes.

The next step will be to build a map tool, which you will select the area of interest (rectangle tool; bounding box etc.) and download it.

I attach some screenshots of the two tools.  If you have any ideas/advice/comments please let me know. They are most welcome!

Cheers
Dimitris

QueryBuilder.png (50K) Download Attachment
map_builder.png (369K) Download Attachment

Re: QueryBuilder for Download Layer functionality

Jeffrey Johnson
This is really awesome!

Can you file a GNIP for this so we can discuss the implementation as a
group? If you need help with that, let us know. You will need a core
committer to actually file the GNIP. Perhaps Patrick can help?

Looking forward to seeing/using this!

Jeff

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 2:34 AM, Dimitris Karakostis
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> How are you doing? I wanted to share with you our current development
> plans/progress for WFPGeonode. During the last week I have been working on
> the implementation of a 'Query Builder' functionality in order to be able to
> download specific parts of layers in the provided formats (kml, xls, csv,
> zipped shape, geojson).
>
> The user can build the query by :
> 1. selecting from a dropdown menu the available attributes,
> 2. selecting an operator,
> 3. enter a valid value
>
> The different statements of the query can be combined either with AND or OR
> operator. I have also used the OWSLib (0.11.0; thanks Tom)  in order to get
> the type of attributes and apply some sort of validation (e.g. if you try to
> put a string, while number is expected then you get an error message).
>
> For the above process I have used JQuery for the JS functionality and
> BootstrapCSS for the gui. The tool is part of the 'Download Layer' modal and
> is currently being tested and making small fixes.
>
> The next step will be to build a map tool, which you will select the area of
> interest (rectangle tool; bounding box etc.) and download it.
>
> I attach some screenshots of the two tools.  If you have any
> ideas/advice/comments please let me know. They are most welcome!
>
> Cheers
> Dimitris

Re: QueryBuilder for Download Layer functionality

Patrick Dufour

Yes, I can help with the GNIP when ready.

The implementation will leverage the cql_filter GeoServer WFS querystring parameter, as such no changes to GeoServer or django DB models are needed.

Regards,
Patrick Dufour

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> How are you doing? I wanted to share with you our current development
> plans/progress for WFPGeonode. During the last week I have been working on
> the implementation of a 'Query Builder' functionality in order to be able to
> download specific parts of layers in the provided formats (kml, xls, csv,
> zipped shape, geojson).
>
> The user can build the query by :
> 1. selecting from a dropdown menu the available attributes,
> 2. selecting an operator,
> 3. enter a valid value
>
> The different statements of the query can be combined either with AND or OR
> operator. I have also used the OWSLib (0.11.0; thanks Tom)  in order to get
> the type of attributes and apply some sort of validation (e.g. if you try to
> put a string, while number is expected then you get an error message).
>
> For the above process I have used JQuery for the JS functionality and
> BootstrapCSS for the gui. The tool is part of the 'Download Layer' modal and
> is currently being tested and making small fixes.
>
> The next step will be to build a map tool, which you will select the area of
> interest (rectangle tool; bounding box etc.) and download it.
>
> I attach some screenshots of the two tools.  If you have any
> ideas/advice/comments please let me know. They are most welcome!
>
> Cheers
> Dimitris

Re: QueryBuilder for Download Layer functionality

Dimitris Karakostis

Hi guys,

I have deployed the newly developed  'Query Builder and Map Filter' tool in our staging server for WFP Geonode: http://staging.geonode.wfp.org/layers/   There are still several features to be added but you can have a look and give some recommendations, improvement ideas etc.
To use the tool, select a layer, click the Download button and then the Layer Filtering.

Cheers
Dimitris

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> How are you doing? I wanted to share with you our current development
> plans/progress for WFPGeonode. During the last week I have been working on
> the implementation of a 'Query Builder' functionality in order to be able to
> download specific parts of layers in the provided formats (kml, xls, csv,
> zipped shape, geojson).
>
> The user can build the query by :
> 1. selecting from a dropdown menu the available attributes,
> 2. selecting an operator,
> 3. enter a valid value
>
> The different statements of the query can be combined either with AND or OR
> operator. I have also used the OWSLib (0.11.0; thanks Tom)  in order to get
> the type of attributes and apply some sort of validation (e.g. if you try to
> put a string, while number is expected then you get an error message).
>
> For the above process I have used JQuery for the JS functionality and
> BootstrapCSS for the gui. The tool is part of the 'Download Layer' modal and
> is currently being tested and making small fixes.
>
> The next step will be to build a map tool, which you will select the area of
> interest (rectangle tool; bounding box etc.) and download it.
>
> I attach some screenshots of the two tools.  If you have any
> ideas/advice/comments please let me know. They are most welcome!
>
> Cheers
> Dimitris

Re: QueryBuilder for Download Layer functionality

Jeffrey Johnson
This looks great. Can you guys put together a GNIP + PR ?

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 8:14 AM, Dimitris Karakostis
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have deployed the newly developed  'Query Builder and Map Filter' tool in
> our staging server for WFP Geonode: http://staging.geonode.wfp.org/layers/
> There are still several features to be added but you can have a look and
> give some recommendations, improvement ideas etc.
> To use the tool, select a layer, click the Download button and then the
> Layer Filtering.
>
> Cheers
> Dimitris
>

> On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 9:09 PM, Patrick Dufour <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I can help with the GNIP when ready.
>>
>> The implementation will leverage the cql_filter GeoServer WFS querystring
>> parameter, as such no changes to GeoServer or django DB models are needed.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Patrick Dufour
>>
>> On May 16, 2016 6:11 PM, "Jeffrey Johnson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> This is really awesome!
>>>
>>> Can you file a GNIP for this so we can discuss the implementation as a
>>> group? If you need help with that, let us know. You will need a core
>>> committer to actually file the GNIP. Perhaps Patrick can help?
>>>
>>> Looking forward to seeing/using this!
>>>
>>> Jeff

Re: QueryBuilder for Download Layer functionality

Patrick Dufour

I won't have time to help with a GNIP/PR until late next week.  In the meantime, feel free to take a look on staging.

Regards,
Patrick

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have deployed the newly developed  'Query Builder and Map Filter' tool in
> our staging server for WFP Geonode: http://staging.geonode.wfp.org/layers/
> There are still several features to be added but you can have a look and
> give some recommendations, improvement ideas etc.
> To use the tool, select a layer, click the Download button and then the
> Layer Filtering.
>
> Cheers
> Dimitris
>

> On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 9:09 PM, Patrick Dufour <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I can help with the GNIP when ready.
>>
>> The implementation will leverage the cql_filter GeoServer WFS querystring
>> parameter, as such no changes to GeoServer or django DB models are needed.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Patrick Dufour
>>
>> On May 16, 2016 6:11 PM, "Jeffrey Johnson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> This is really awesome!
>>>
>>> Can you file a GNIP for this so we can discuss the implementation as a
>>> group? If you need help with that, let us know. You will need a core
>>> committer to actually file the GNIP. Perhaps Patrick can help?
>>>
>>> Looking forward to seeing/using this!
>>>
>>> Jeff

Re: QueryBuilder for Download Layer functionality

frippe12573
Ho Dimitris and all,

the tool you developed it' really fantastic as well as useful from my point of view.
Your work made me think about a possible tool: it could be nice to have a query builder for the layer to insert in the map composer, just a sort of a layer pre-filter. Moreover I wonder even if having a combo box, including possible values, in the query builder is easy to implement.

This my 2 cents.
Best

Eugenio

Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 17:14:49 +0200
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [GeoNode-devel] QueryBuilder for Download Layer functionality
CC: [hidden email]

<karakostis.dimitris@...> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> How are you doing? I wanted to share with you our current development
> plans/progress for WFPGeonode. During the last week I have been working on
> the implementation of a 'Query Builder' functionality in order to be able to
> download specific parts of layers in the provided formats (kml, xls, csv,
> zipped shape, geojson).
>
> The user can build the query by :
> 1. selecting from a dropdown menu the available attributes,
> 2. selecting an operator,
> 3. enter a valid value
>
> The different statements of the query can be combined either with AND or OR
> operator. I have also used the OWSLib (0.11.0; thanks Tom)  in order to get
> the type of attributes and apply some sort of validation (e.g. if you try to
> put a string, while number is expected then you get an error message).
>
> For the above process I have used JQuery for the JS functionality and
> BootstrapCSS for the gui. The tool is part of the 'Download Layer' modal and
> is currently being tested and making small fixes.
>
> The next step will be to build a map tool, which you will select the area of
> interest (rectangle tool; bounding box etc.) and download it.
>
> I attach some screenshots of the two tools.  If you have any
> ideas/advice/comments please let me know. They are most welcome!
>
> Cheers
> Dimitris

Re: QueryBuilder for Download Layer functionality

Alessio Fabiani-2
Dear all,
very nice tool, it looks promising and quite useful too.

It would be possible to have some more details on its implementation and how it interacts with GeoServer?

In the past we had some headaches building a complete and reliable download plugin for GeoServer.
In the end we implemented it as a WPS process capable of subsetting through several strategies (intersect or crop) all kind of datasets (both raster and vectorial). It is also capable of reprojecting the outcome, estimate the download size before starting the process, prepare the outcome ZIP archive (along with associated layer styles) asynchrounsly also and provide back a progress and/or a download link. It is also able to send an email to the requester when the file is ready. It was thought to allow GeoServer subsetting and downloading reliably also big datadsets and manage different download requests without overloading the server.

The plugin is available as a community plugin here http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/community/wps-download/index.html

Maybe you want to consider the use of such plugin to extend the capabilities of your query plugin instead of relying only on CQL filters (if I understood correctly how the tool currently works).

If so we can envisage the inclusion of the WPS Download process into the official distribution of the GeoNode-GeoServer-ext package.

Best Regards,
Alessio Fabiani.

==
Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
==

Ing. Alessio Fabiani
@alfa7691
Founder/Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39 331 6233686

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 17:14:49 +0200
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> How are you doing? I wanted to share with you our current development
> plans/progress for WFPGeonode. During the last week I have been working on
> the implementation of a 'Query Builder' functionality in order to be able to
> download specific parts of layers in the provided formats (kml, xls, csv,
> zipped shape, geojson).
>
> The user can build the query by :
> 1. selecting from a dropdown menu the available attributes,
> 2. selecting an operator,
> 3. enter a valid value
>
> The different statements of the query can be combined either with AND or OR
> operator. I have also used the OWSLib (0.11.0; thanks Tom)  in order to get
> the type of attributes and apply some sort of validation (e.g. if you try to
> put a string, while number is expected then you get an error message).
>
> For the above process I have used JQuery for the JS functionality and
> BootstrapCSS for the gui. The tool is part of the 'Download Layer' modal and
> is currently being tested and making small fixes.
>
> The next step will be to build a map tool, which you will select the area of
> interest (rectangle tool; bounding box etc.) and download it.
>
> I attach some screenshots of the two tools.  If you have any
> ideas/advice/comments please let me know. They are most welcome!
>
> Cheers
> Dimitris

Re: QueryBuilder for Download Layer functionality

Paolo Corti
Hello Alessio

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Alessio Fabiani
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe you want to consider the use of such plugin to extend the capabilities
> of your query plugin instead of relying only on CQL filters (if I understood
> correctly how the tool currently works).

Would love to learn what is wrong in relying on CQL filters
thanks a lot

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net
twitter: @capooti
skype: capooti

Re: QueryBuilder for Download Layer functionality

Alessio Fabiani-2
Well, first of all it does not allow to filter raster layers, secondly the filter could be potentially too big and finally it allow you just to filter out subsets of data.

Everything works fine until you have small datasets and you don need to crop and reproject the outcomes.

Finally, as far as I understood, everything is done synchronously. In other words you lock the server until the request has finished. Again, it works well until you have elatively small vectorial datasets.

Best Regards,
Alessio Fabiani.

==

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe you want to consider the use of such plugin to extend the capabilities
> of your query plugin instead of relying only on CQL filters (if I understood
> correctly how the tool currently works).

Would love to learn what is wrong in relying on CQL filters
thanks a lot

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net
twitter: @capooti
skype: capooti

Re: QueryBuilder for Download Layer functionality

Simone Giannecchini
Ciao Paolo,
there is nothing "wrong" in your approach, it is more than
reasonable., but I second what Alessio is saying.

We used that approach in the past then we moved away for various reasons:

-1- synch requests with WFS tends to perform badly when the work to do
is non trivial (large extraction, reprojections, etc...)
-2- you need to use WFS for vector and WCS for raster

I would recommend having a quick look at this page:
http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/community/wps-download/index.html

In addition you can also chain the WPS ogr and gdal output to get more
output formats.

You can try a live instance here:
http://sit.comune.bolzano.it/mapstore/?config=download

(easy, low-end infrastructure :) )

Regards,
Simone Giannecchini
==
Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
==
Ing. Simone Giannecchini
@simogeo
Founder/Director

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39  333 8128928

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003
nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate.
Il loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del
messaggio, per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora
riceviate questo messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo
cortesemente di darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla
distruzione del messaggio stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema.
Conservare il messaggio stesso, divulgarlo anche in parte,
distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od utilizzarlo per finalità
diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai principi dettati dal
[...]

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Alessio Fabiani
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

> On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 8:53 PM, Paolo Corti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Alessio
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Alessio Fabiani
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Maybe you want to consider the use of such plugin to extend the
>> > capabilities
>> > of your query plugin instead of relying only on CQL filters (if I
>> > understood
>> > correctly how the tool currently works).
>> >

>> Would love to learn what is wrong in relying on CQL filters
>> thanks a lot
>>
>> --
>> Paolo Corti
>> Geospatial software developer
>> web: http://www.paolocorti.net
>> twitter: @capooti
>> skype: capooti

Re: QueryBuilder for Download Layer functionality

Hey Simone and Alessio

thanks for the feedback.

Sure, having an asynchronous process to generate datasets for download
user requests is something we have been talking since a while.
In my opinion this process shouldn't be tied to GeoServer, but should
be Pythonic, in the form of tasks in Celery for example. And of
course, using ogr2ogr and gdal_translate

This way code will work even when once it will be possible to use
GeoNode with different map servers (for example with the QGIS Server
one).

Obviously if you guys have something already working as a GeoServer
WPS, it would be very welcome in the meanwhile!

thanks again

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 4:28 AM, Simone Giannecchini
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
>> made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
>> e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

>> On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 8:53 PM, Paolo Corti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Alessio

>>> Would love to learn what is wrong in relying on CQL filters
>>> thanks a lot
>>>
>>> --
>>> Paolo Corti
>>> Geospatial software developer
>>> web: http://www.paolocorti.net
>>> twitter: @capooti
>>> skype: capooti

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net
twitter: @capooti
skype: capooti

Re: QueryBuilder for Download Layer functionality

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Dimitris